++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 29, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #4,261 of 29,490
So here's a question...there's tons of info comparing cans to other cans, and tons of info comparing IEMs to other IEMs, which is obviously understandable given their pretty substancial differences....but how do you guys think IEMs stack up to similarly priced cans?  Such as Westone 3 to DT880 or something like that?  Can IEMs give full sized headphones a run for their money?

May 29, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #4,262 of 29,490
Quote:
So here's a question...there's tons of info comparing cans to other cans, and tons of info comparing IEMs to other IEMs, which is obviously understandable given their pretty substancial differences....but how do you guys think IEMs stack up to similarly priced cans?  Such as Westone 3 to DT880 or something like that?  Can IEMs give full sized headphones a run for their money?

IMO universal IEMs can compete everywhere except the the size of the soundstage.  They aren't inherently handicapped in any other area.

Its a minority opinion, but I prefer my SE530s to any full size 'phones I've heard in that general price range or below.  I own or have owned the DT770 600 ohm and 80 ohm, DT990/600, D2000, D5000, HD650, SA5000, HFI-780, M50, SR80, SR325i and heard more.  I do prefer my current modded Fostex T50RPs to my SE530s but the cheapest commercially available full size that I know I like more is the LCD-2.  There may be others I'd like but I haven't heard them yet.

If the size of soundstage is your priority then I wouldn't bother with IEMs but they've got the same potential everywhere else.  Just find one that suits your sonic preferences.

May 30, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #4,263 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,
A few weeks ago my house was robbed and my headphones stolen. Since then I have been looking to get a good pair of replacement ones, preferably full sized. I can spend around 200 dollars at most. These headphones would primarily be used for home listening at the computer without an amp. I hope to eventually one day invest in a decent amp, but at the moment I would rather just have a pair of headphones that sound good without one. I listen to a lot of hard rock and heavy metal especially progressive stuff (Bands like Dream Theater, The Mars Volta, Opeth, Coheed and Cambria etc.). I also like to listen to some electronic music occasionally so I definitely would like headphones with a good bass response. I have heard good things about the bass from the Ultrasone Hfi-580's, but I question if they would be good for rock music. Anyway I am a complete newbie when it comes to whole concept of high quality headphones so hopefully you guys can guide me in the right direction :). Thanks ahead of time! 

It's really hard to recommend anything when you don't have an idea or reference for what sound you want other than decent bass.  Your best bet is to buy something you think you have a good chance of liking used, then if you don't like them, use them as a reference for where to go from there.  There are many phones with good bass and they all sound pretty different in the rest of the spectrum.  It would also be good if the first headphone you buy is fairly popular so that other people will have heard them and can help you out. 

May 30, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #4,264 of 29,490
Hi, I was about to start a new thread before I came upon this one.

I'm looking for some good comfortable open or semi open headphones for mostly gaming purposes with some music listening in the ~$150 price range. I want them to be comfortable for extended hours of use while gaming but also not have to sacrifice performance with music to achieve that. Right now, I'm looking into the Beyerdynamic DT440 but I've also seen the Sennheiser HD555/595's and AKG K240 mentioned too.

Which would be the best for my needs? Not interested in a dedicated headphone amp btw.. I will be using this from an asus xonar dg soundcard with a built in headphone amp.

May 30, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #4,265 of 29,490

Quote:
The HD25 has better bass and durability, but it's also twice the price. The sound is more punchy vs the Shure's smoother presentation. It's also supraaural, vs the 440 being circumaural. This affects comfort and durability for people differently.

While I prefer the sound of the HD25, the higher clamp with the earpad makes it uncomfortable for me, particularly since I wear glasses. Many people find the HD25 very comfortable though, so it's a bit of a tossup. Check out your local music store and see if they have these models available for audition.

Thanks for the advices... well, I end up buying the Audio Technica ES7. I really liked its sound, especially considering the small size. And it looks really cool too :)

Anyway, I think it's good to change the brands a bit once in a while. Now I have a nice headphone to listen to electronic music and the HD 598 for classical, movies...

May 30, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #4,266 of 29,490
Hi all as I'm new to this forum please move this if I have posted in the wrong section.

I am looking for some advice on purchasing a new pair of headphones mainly to be used while commuting on bus/train and for use with my iPhone 4.
I have read some reviews already so please forgive me for mentioning them again but the headphones I have been looking at are the beats by dre solo hds. The main reason for my choice is not the marketing but the factthey come with the control talk cable.
I have always used the headphones that come with my mp3 devices, but recently bought the apple in ear headphones, these were a step up from the standard apple buds and have go me interested I n better audio quality.
I am not an audiophile so I am not looking at top of the range cans.
If there is a better alternative to the solo hds what are they? Again my main consideration will be having volume and track control on the headphones as well as a mic to take calls.
Thank you for any advice in advance
Rgds

May 30, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #4,267 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Further to Morbid's comments in his post above - the SRH940's are already being described as having less bass than the SRH840's (better highs/mids - but less bass impact).  If you're looking for all of the things you mentioned above, the SRH840 is likely to suit better than the SRH940 - but to be honest, they're not exactly small.  So it depends on what you're doing (portability).  From your list of attributes - you might want to also consider the ATH M50's (I'm not a huge fan but they would tick most of the boxes) & either the Senn HD25 or the new Beyer DT 1350's.  Look for Jude's video review for both of these on the main page.

Phiaton MS 400 is the way I'd go here.

The Phiaton MS 400 is only $162 on Amazon. Is this really the best headphone I could get for my range?
By portable I mean that they will fit into my computer bag or backpack in the case they come in. My dad has a pair of Bose QC15 (along with everything else Bose has ever made) and I could easily tote those around in their semi-hard case. The P5s caught my eye, has everything I'm looking for but all the reviews I have read says the highs has a weird sound to them.
By bass heavy I don't want the bass to overpower as in my bro's Beats Solo HD 
eek.gif
, and my Senn IE7 have too much bass after 24 hours of burn in (and counting). I just don't want something like the Etys I've heard are so great because they have no bass. I typically find the circumaural headphones to be more comfortable than the supraaural. Are there any around ear headphones that are semi-portable for my price range? I can spend up to $450 if need be but I don't want to if there is a suitable phone for less.

Quote:
"Briefly, the P5 excel at thick lush mids with good bottom end and generally warm sound. For a vocal lover, I think it is one of the best portable out there. Some people who wants more pace and attack may prefer something like the HD25-1, others who wants a more general all rounder the ATH M-50, also others who values neutrality may go for the Shure SRH-840."

Based on this quote I found and my musical taste which headphone should I get.  The music I listen to falls into which of these categories. Note I really like the way the P5s look, super sexy, and I am also going to purchase a Zepplin Mini (unless convinced otherwise) and I love the iPod control on the cable on my Skullcandy 50/50 (noob) and would love to have that on the P5.

Just talking so much I got myself to love the P5 and would I like the sound quality based on my music preferences? Also I am typically happy with everything I purchased and easily amused but I like to know I am getting a good deal and when I get ripped off I know.

Sorry I am rambling now please help...

May 30, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #4,268 of 29,490
I've always seen the Beats Solo HD as a conflicting headphone. It was made with portability in mind, but it's so fragile. The build quality is just so dismal that the Solo HD can't possibly hold its own in the outdoors. Honestly, it just lacks appeal in all categories except bling.
Since sound quality is only a marginal issue for you, I'd recommend the Klipsch Image S4i. Its sound signature is slightly fatiguing, but the S4i is very comfortable, and it'll satisfy your needs for portability and media/phone controls (careful with the cable though: it's rather thin, and I always questioned its durability).
I personally preferred the S4i to the Solo HD (my friend let me borrow her pair for a few days) simply because the latter's bass quantity was unbearably overwhelming, but the former isn't a large improvement in terms of SQ. The reason I consider it a great alternative is the pricetag. Truthfully, I dissuade you from spending over $100 for headphones if functionality precedes sound quality to such a degree.  

Quote:
Hi all as I'm new to this forum please move this if I have posted in the wrong section.

I am looking for some advice on purchasing a new pair of headphones mainly to be used while commuting on bus/train and for use with my iPhone 4.
I have read some reviews already so please forgive me for mentioning them again but the headphones I have been looking at are the beats by dre solo hds. The main reason for my choice is not the marketing but the factthey come with the control talk cable.
I have always used the headphones that come with my mp3 devices, but recently bought the apple in ear headphones, these were a step up from the standard apple buds and have go me interested I n better audio quality.
If there is a better alternative to the solo hds what are they? Again my main consideration will be having volume and track control on the headphones as well as a mic to take calls.
Rgds

May 30, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #4,269 of 29,490

Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviator has everything you are looking for and better sound. I highly recommend not purchasing Beats, my brother has a pair and he constantly breaks them and they are made in china. The skullcandys are more durable (still built in china I think) but would be a better buy and $50 cheaper. They also come with lifetime warranty just in case.
Quote:

Rgds

May 30, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #4,270 of 29,490

compare? lol! bro, IEM's KILL similarly priced headphones SQ wise. the music sounds like it's inside your head tho.

May 30, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #4,271 of 29,490

Quote:
Based on this quote I found and my musical taste which headphone should I get.  The music I listen to falls into which of these categories. Note I really like the way the P5s look, super sexy, and I am also going to purchase a Zepplin Mini (unless convinced otherwise) and I love the iPod control on the cable on my Skullcandy 50/50 (noob) and would love to have that on the P5.

Just talking so much I got myself to love the P5 and would I like the sound quality based on my music preferences? Also I am typically happy with everything I purchased and easily amused but I like to know I am getting a good deal and when I get ripped off I know.

Sorry I am rambling now please help...

If you live anywhere near an Apple store, you can try out the P5 with your portable source.

May 30, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #4,272 of 29,490
I'm looking to buy headphones as well as a DAC/Amp/Soundcard bundle that will fulfill my computer listening needs. I game alot on my computer, as well as listening to music.
The music I primarily listen to is Techno and Trance, and some Power Metal on the side. I need strong and well defined bass, the highs can't be piercing, and the middle area I'm unsure of.
My price range is 350-700$ and I'd prefer to keep it lower unless it made a significant difference.
The Headphones I am interested are the Sennheiser HD 650 and Sony MDR-SA5000. As far as the rest goes, I have no idea.

May 30, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #4,273 of 29,490
hi...
I have a few headphones with me, all IEMs, all sennheiser's, but my favourite was my IE8, and I love it so much.
about 2 months ago I lost my IE8 when I was camping and now I'm searching for a new pair of headphone that is BETTER THAN my IE8.
Can you give me a recommendation of which headphone I should buy.

It doesn't have to be Sennheiser, im looking for the best available on the market. Bose, AKG, Grado, anything.
IEM is OK, but I prefer it to be on-ear or around-ear design, and closed-back so it wont disturb other people.

I'm listening to wide variety of genres. I like the sound to be detail, crisp. Clear instrument separation. Deep Strong Bass but not sacrifice the mids, and a big wide deep soundstage.
the point is I want it to be BETTER THAN my IE8.
I'm using this headphone with my iPod Classic, flat EQ, and All the files are in Apple Loseless format.
I wear my headphone at home, at college, when traveling, everywhere actually so the styling is also important. I don't want an ugly-looking headphone... hehehe
but still, Sound Quality is number One...
I'm willing to spend up to $450 for this headphone...

please help me...
Big Thanks for your help :)

May 30, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #4,274 of 29,490
I've seen the D7000 fetch $700 recently, though I don't know how well these fare with metal. 
The D7000 isn't gluttonous for power, so a DAC or DAC/amp combo would be more beneficial. I've heard the HDP complements the D7000 well, but I can't offer any solid recommendations on a DAC (I'm still searching for one).

Quote:
I'm looking to buy headphones as well as a DAC/Amp/Soundcard bundle that will fulfill my computer listening needs. I game alot on my computer, as well as listening to music.
The music I primarily listen to is Techno and Trance, and some Power Metal on the side. I need strong and well defined bass, the highs can't be piercing, and the middle area I'm unsure of.
My price range is 350-700$ and I'd prefer to keep it lower unless it made a significant difference.
The Headphones I am interested are the Sennheiser HD 650 and Sony MDR-SA5000. As far as the rest goes, I have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back