++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 9, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #3,797 of 29,490
Hi.

I'm new here and I already read all the iem's and portable full-on comparisons, but I want to buy a budget full-on headphone, something around $30, max $40, and portability is not a must, because I want it to use on the computer. I don't care much for isolation but I do prefer circumaurals, because I get uncomfortable too easily, and I'm a sucker for the sound stage feel. And I know I'm asking too much for the price I want to pay, but I just wanna hear suggestions of the best I can get for it. I mostly listen to alt. rock and electronic.

May 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #3,798 of 29,490
Suggest me the best headphone I could get myself strictly under $300, shouldn't be a pain to drive.
I want natural sounding lush mids, good weighty bass with depth that extends low (good sub-bass), excellent 3D soundstage and decent treble (shouldn't be sibilant or Edgy).

Mids and soundstage are the most important for me.

Bulk of my music is Rock/Alternative rock, although I have music from a wide range of genres.

I'm considering - Audio Technica ATH-A900 and FA-002W-OW

Also, I want a Closed-back headphone.

May 9, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #3,800 of 29,490

Hello all. 

Let me start by saying that I am a complete newbie to high end headphones, and hi-fi music in general.  I've almost exclusively listened to my music with portable devices, and in my car, as I find my commute and workout schedule to be the best times for me to listen to my music.  So, please forgive my ignorance with terminology, etc.

Basically, I am looking for the best portable, over/on the ear headphones available.  I plan to use these around the house, at work, and on my commute.  I now understand the source device and quality of the audio files also make a big difference after reading several threads on here.  I currently use an iPhone 3GS, just for the convenience of having one multi-purpose device.  However, I am now considering purchasing a dedicated portable media player if the sound quality is significantly better over my iPhone (cowon device comes to mind).  I will have to sample a few of these out, but to start I will continue to use my iPhone, since this where I have all my music stored.  I would get a portable amp for a nice pair of headphones, if necessary.

A few other pieces of information to help focus my search/question. 

1.  I have tried IEM headphones in the past, and I have always had problems with them due to sizing and/or excessive wax buildup.  This is why I specified over/on the ear, closed back.

2.  I will be listening mostly in noisy city environments.  I live in NYC, so think buses and subways.

3.  I listen to a wide range of music, from classical, jazz, r&b, metal, rock, and hip hop.  So, I guess I am looking for something that has good performance all around ... if that's even possible?  If I had to rank what I listen to most, it would be : metal/rock, hip hop, r&b, jazz

4.  I really like the size and fit of the Beats by Dre, but I know they are a terrible choice, due to their construction quality and SQ for the price you're paying.  My head is pretty small and thin, so smaller, adjustable headphones would be nice.

5.  Budget is around $300

Given that information, are there any headphones you guys can recommend?  I really appreciate any and all help, and if you need any additional information, please let me know.

I have read quite a few excellent reviews about the Shure SRH840, however, it seems to be really big, and no so portable.  Is there anything similar to the quality of these, with a more portable application?

Thanks so much!

Dan

May 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #3,801 of 29,490

Quote:
I have a quick question.  Do the beyer dynamic velour pads for the sony 7506s change the isolation at all? If so, is it a good or bad change? Will it allow more sound to escape? I'm thinking about making these my portable cans, but I don't want sound leaking. Thanks for the help.

Um, maybe? It would depend on your particular ear shape. The 7506 pads sit flat against the ear, which isn't the greatest at sealing/isolation. I found a worn out pair with the stitching broken on the inner seam to better at isolation.

Try out the DT250 at a music store nearby and see if they seal well around your ear.

Quote:
So im fairly new to high end headphones and have been browsing around a bit. My price range is 120-150$ my problem is that im having a hell of a time finding anything in that range that is decent and ships to Canada. Any assistance? They will be used mainly for listening to music on my ipod and comp.

I've compiled a list of Canadian sellers/makers here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/548624/listing-canadian-companies-retailers

May 9, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #3,802 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi.

I'm new here and I already read all the iem's and portable full-on comparisons, but I want to buy a budget full-on headphone, something around $30, max $40, and portability is not a must, because I want it to use on the computer. I don't care much for isolation but I do prefer circumaurals, because I get uncomfortable too easily, and I'm a sucker for the sound stage feel. And I know I'm asking too much for the price I want to pay, but I just wanna hear suggestions of the best I can get for it. I mostly listen to alt. rock and electronic.

I'm not too familiar with your price range... Look around for some offerings by Koss. They make decent budget gear. Maybe try the Senn HD201?

Quote:
Suggest me the best headphone I could get myself strictly under $300, shouldn't be a pain to drive.
I want natural sounding lush mids, good weighty bass with depth that extends low (good sub-bass), excellent 3D soundstage and decent treble (shouldn't be sibilant or Edgy).

Mids and soundstage are the most important for me.

Bulk of my music is Rock/Alternative rock, although I have music from a wide range of genres.

I'm considering - Audio Technica ATH-A900 and FA-002W-OW

Also, I want a Closed-back headphone.

First thing to note is that huge soundstage and closed headphone do not typically go together.

When I hear mid + soundstage, my first thought is Audio Technica (not counting the M50). I think the A900 would be a fine choice; I've owned the A700 and thought it was good with a large (but slightly echoey) soundstage.

Also consider an Ultrasone. They have funny ways of creating soundstage.

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm, I've had a look around and they seem to be A-OK sound-wise.

However they look pretty chunky, are there any smaller closed-backs with decent isolation in the range of £60-90? (that's roughly $100-140)

Shure 440, Sony V6/7506, Senn PX200-ii, AKG K450/81/518.

Quote:

Hello all. 

Let me start by saying that I am a complete newbie to high end headphones, and hi-fi music in general.  I've almost exclusively listened to my music with portable devices, and in my car, as I find my commute and workout schedule to be the best times for me to listen to my music.  So, please forgive my ignorance with terminology, etc.

Basically, I am looking for the best portable, over/on the ear headphones available.  I plan to use these around the house, at work, and on my commute.  I now understand the source device and quality of the audio files also make a big difference after reading several threads on here.  I currently use an iPhone 3GS, just for the convenience of having one multi-purpose device.  However, I am now considering purchasing a dedicated portable media player if the sound quality is significantly better over my iPhone (cowon device comes to mind).  I will have to sample a few of these out, but to start I will continue to use my iPhone, since this where I have all my music stored.  I would get a portable amp for a nice pair of headphones, if necessary.

A few other pieces of information to help focus my search/question. 

1.  I have tried IEM headphones in the past, and I have always had problems with them due to sizing and/or excessive wax buildup.  This is why I specified over/on the ear, closed back.

2.  I will be listening mostly in noisy city environments.  I live in NYC, so think buses and subways.

3.  I listen to a wide range of music, from classical, jazz, r&b, metal, rock, and hip hop.  So, I guess I am looking for something that has good performance all around ... if that's even possible?  If I had to rank what I listen to most, it would be : metal/rock, hip hop, r&b, jazz

4.  I really like the size and fit of the Beats by Dre, but I know they are a terrible choice, due to their construction quality and SQ for the price you're paying.  My head is pretty small and thin, so smaller, adjustable headphones would be nice.

5.  Budget is around $300

Given that information, are there any headphones you guys can recommend?  I really appreciate any and all help, and if you need any additional information, please let me know.

I have read quite a few excellent reviews about the Shure SRH840, however, it seems to be really big, and no so portable.  Is there anything similar to the quality of these, with a more portable application?

Thanks so much!

Dan

Portable size, strong isolation, easy to drive, sturdy enough to stay on during a workout... I would say something like the Senn HD25-1-ii or AKG K81/518/450 or Phiaton MS400. The B&W P5 looks great and has awesome isolation, but I wouldn't wear it for a workout.

May 9, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #3,803 of 29,490
Hello. I'm looking for a pair of headphones purely for Dream Trance/Air Trance/Euphoric Trance (Armin van Buuren, Markus Schulz, Gareth Emery, Above & Beyond type stuff.).
My budget is ~$320.
I plan to get a FiiO E7/E9 amp soon.
What would be a good pair? I'm currently looking into K701s/K702s, HD600s, and HD650s.
Any recommendations? I believe for my type of music mids and highs are what will be focused on the most, but the bass should still be somewhat decent. Not sure if I'm looking for a laid back sound, but I like to immerse myself in the music and would like a pair that would help me do so.

May 9, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #3,804 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello. I'm looking for a pair of headphones purely for Dream Trance/Air Trance/Euphoric Trance (Armin van Buuren, Markus Schulz, Gareth Emery, Above & Beyond type stuff.).
My budget is ~$320.
I plan to get a FiiO E7/E9 amp soon.
What would be a good pair? I'm currently looking into K701s/K702s, HD600s, and HD650s.
Any recommendations? I believe for my type of music mids and highs are what will be focused on the most, but the bass should still be somewhat decent. Not sure if I'm looking for a laid back sound, but I like to immerse myself in the music and would like a pair that would help me do so.

Those are good headphones for your genres. Also consider the full sized open Audio Technicas like the AD900/1000

May 9, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #3,806 of 29,490
I am looking for a new set of cans to (hopefully) keep me happy for a while. I listen to a lot of metal, but I enjoy most genres except for country and pop. The cans need to be closed and portable. Nothing too big, please. Soundstage is somewhat important, but not a huge factor. I am interested in clarity, detail, and accuracy. I'm not a bass head, but i want it to be there when it is called for. NO IEM's, please. I have a budget of $100 and nothing more. Hopefully I have given enough info and my expectations are realistic. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

May 9, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #3,807 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm not too familiar with your price range... Look around for some offerings by Koss. They make decent budget gear. Maybe try the Senn HD201?

Thanks for your help. I've looked around and, about the Senn HD201, I'm somewhat put off by the alleged very low bass and lack of comfort. About the Koss budget closed cans, they seem fine but I don't know much about them yet to make have an opinion.
My choice so far has been a JVC HA-RX700, but that was from the little I could read about full-on's.

May 9, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #3,808 of 29,490

Quote:
I can only afford one, I'm wondering how I should go about deciding exactly which pair to buy.

My best suggestion is to start lower on the ladder and buy used, trying out a few different brand sound signature. Sell/trade and move up from there.

Quote:
I am looking for a new set of cans to (hopefully) keep me happy for a while. I listen to a lot of metal, but I enjoy most genres except for country and pop. The cans need to be closed and portable. Nothing too big, please. Soundstage is somewhat important, but not a huge factor. I am interested in clarity, detail, and accuracy. I'm not a bass head, but i want it to be there when it is called for. NO IEM's, please. I have a budget of $100 and nothing more. Hopefully I have given enough info and my expectations are realistic. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I feel like I've responded to this one already...
Senn PX200-ii: small and portable (w/pouch), great detailing, average isolation

Quote:
Thanks for your help. I've looked around and, about the Senn HD201, I'm somewhat put off by the alleged very low bass and lack of comfort. About the Koss budget closed cans, they seem fine but I don't know much about them yet to make have an opinion.
My choice so far has been a JVC HA-RX700, but that was from the little I could read about full-on's.

I really don't know of too many full sized budget cans in your price range. There are more options if you expand to earpad models.

May 9, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #3,809 of 29,490
Soup! :eek: I've lurked this site for a while now, only just deciding to join a bit less than a week ago. I've gone past a few pairs of cans, from the PX-100s to the Ultrasone Pro 900s. As much as I like my current setup (Cowon J3, iBasso T3 (soon to be Arrow 3G) and the Pro 900s), I need something that will be neutral and comfortable so I can listen to classical music and play video games on at home. I think that the AD700s or used K701/2s might be worth considering, but does anyone have other suggestions within the $300 range?

May 9, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #3,810 of 29,490

Quote:
Soup!
eek.gif
I've lurked this site for a while now, only just deciding to join a bit less than a week ago. I've gone past a few pairs of cans, from the PX-100s to the Ultrasone Pro 900s. As much as I like my current setup (Cowon J3, iBasso T3 (soon to be Arrow 3G) and the Pro 900s), I need something that will be neutral and comfortable so I can listen to classical music and play video games on at home. I think that the AD700s or used K701/2s might be worth considering, but does anyone have other suggestions within the $300 range?

I actually like the K601 more than the K701/2.  I recently bought the HD595 and I think that's a decent headphone for classical that can be played right from your portable player. 

I also like vintage orthos for classical, but I'm not sure if the T3 can drive them.  But for the price difference, you can buy a vintage Yamaha HP-1 and an amp that can drive them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back