++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 10, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #3,826 of 29,490

Ok, after some good advice and a few PMs I have now become more confused because of all the new headphones I have found in my research. I'm looking for closed back since I will be near people. around the ear. This is what I've been trying to decide between

AT A700

AT M50

AKG K 271 MkII

Senn 280

Also looking for a DAC/AMP, I have been looking at 

E7

ibasso D2+ Boa

Advice please. Thanks so much. All the reviews and comments that have brought me to this point have been great. 

Edit: Still in love with the AKG K701. Saw them once and had to find out what they were and what they were like. If I forgo being nice to my neighbors will the above DAC/AMP do these justice?

May 10, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #3,827 of 29,490
The AD700 has a large soundstage and is fairly balanced. However, some say that it lacks bass. I, myself, thought that too, but it was fixed with a bass boost from my Fiio E7. If you're fine with that, then they sound perfect for you.

Thanks, Smallville. I have a Total Bithead for away games and will soon (ish) have an Audio GD NFB12 DAC/HPA on the home system. I'm gonna guess that either of those will add the needed "whoomp" to the sound? I'm not a bass junkie by any means anyway.

May 10, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #3,829 of 29,490
Sorry, I am new to forums......sorry for starting two new threads.....
Starting all over again...

Hi! I have been wanting to upgrade from my ue tf10 pro....what do you guys think I should buy? Looking for a triple driver and up, very neutral and balanced, no coloration,amazing mids In short I want something that will blow my mind....right now sm3 is on top of my list then is westone 4 or shure se535 or um3x or westone 3. how do all these hold up against tf10pro.....or is custom my only hope? trying to keep my budget somewhere around 400 usd.

Thank You Everyone

May 10, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #3,830 of 29,490
Hey Wireless Revo.....
there is new version of headstage arrow...may be you should buy that one....the only problem is it takes quite a while for the shipment and all... or may be pico slim....right now i use headstage arrow 3g + triple fi 10 and pretty happy with headstage arrow amp....hope this helps you somewhat for a direction to go

May 10, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #3,831 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Armaegis.

However, I should have made it clearer in my original post ... sorry about that ... but I already have a pair of headphones for my workouts.  I use a pair of Sennheiser PMX 680's, which I love.

I am now looking for a pair of portable, over/on ear headphones, easy to drive, with strong isolation, that I can use primarily on my commute.  I guess one additional requirement to add would be comfort - for extended listening time.  

With that in mind, what would you suggest I look into?

Thanks

Besides the B&W P5 that is ... these look nice.  Thanks.

Any other suggestions that are comparable to the B&W P5?

For isolation, the P5 and HD25-1-ii are amoung the best that I've heard. The HD280 tops them, the Beyer DT770 just below. I've read that getting gel pads for the DT770 is crazy good for isolation, if you don't mind spending the extra $40 for the pads (which would make it about the same price as the P5).

Quote:
Hey guys I'm looking for a nice pair of open headphones that cost about 200-275ish USD. I listen to alot of dubstep and electronica but i do also listen to some rap and rock so i need a good all rounder. I'm planning on getting a fiio e9+e7 combo for an amp. I dont need anything exactly for accuracy but more for a fun sound, im going to be using it for 70% music 15% movies 15% gaming. I also need them to be fairly comfortable and i like headphones with lots of clarity. Thanks.

Beyer DT880 or 990 should fit the bill. Grab whichever impedance floats your boat (or read up the big review thread that compares them, though to be honest the differences will be minimal to most ears)

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I actually like the K601 more than the K701/2.  I recently bought the HD595 and I think that's a decent headphone for classical that can be played right from your portable player. 

I also like vintage orthos for classical, but I'm not sure if the T3 can drive them.  But for the price difference, you can buy a vintage Yamaha HP-1 and an amp that can drive them.

Thanks for the input. I'll look into those options soon. Would you choose the HD595 over the K601?

The HD595 are on sale at Amazon right now for $120 which makes them a fantastic buy.

Quote:
No one have any advice for me?

I answered you above already, but yes you might as well get the extra pads. The 7506 pads aren't the greatest to begin with and they tend to flake after some use.

Quote:
hey guys i have searched for a good pair of headphones for a very long time. I have narrowed it down to 3 headphones I like the ultrasone pro 550 because it comes with a case and it has a detachable cable. I also like the hfi 780 but it doesnt have a case. How do these headphones sound without an amp with an ipod. I have found them on amazon for the same price except the pro 550 is confusing because when it shows pictures of the product it shows the old blue kind and the new sick silver kind so i dont know which one it is and if i should buy it. The hfi 780 shows the new kind but i dont know which is better. I also am starting to like the sennheiser hd 25-1 II because they are adidas colors and are origonal. which is better over ear or on ear and should i buy new or used? They are about 40 dollars more than they 2 ultrasones used 80 new. Are they worth it? Links: pro 550 new 152 also one used for 144 http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-550-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000YDYEDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1304466079&sr=8-1 hfi 780 new 164 one used is 154http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-780-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101XVH2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1304466079&sr=8-4Sennheiser new $229 http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Adidas-HD-Orginals-Headphones/dp/B0030T0QBG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=A3DV4MZPCFJ08H&s=merchant-items&qid=1304466452&sr=1-2 Sennheiser used like new only 190? I herd some dont come with anything except the head phones.Are these legit? http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0030T0QBG/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1304466224&sr=1-1&condition=used
ir

[size=x-small]Also what are some good headphones in the 150 to 250 price range that you could recommend? Thanks for the help[/size]

The Ultrasones will be just fine out of an ipod. I would choose the 780 over the 550. The Senn HD25-1-ii is also an incredibly popular headphone, you really can't go wrong with it.

There's no point in asking over and over again what is "better". Go to a store and try out some for yourself. If that's not an option, then buy/sell used and go through a bunch of headphones to find what kind of you *you* like. Start with the lower end stuff and filter out which brands and sounds work for you, then slowly move up the ladder.

Quote:
I'm looking at getting some new phones (obviously if I'm posting in this thread), but first I've got to figure out some funny business with my current set.  Right now I've got a set of ATH-A900's, and these phones are often described as having good bass, both by Headroom ("robust") and AT themselves, BUT Headroom's frequency response curve doesn't seem to match that description, and they also seem a tad lacking in that department as well.  Can anyone else weigh in on this?  

I find out more recently that A900's are supposedly good for classical, I'm looking for some open phones good for stuff like the Beatles, Rolling stones, Styx, Ozzie Osbourn, and some country, and ideally would also play well with HRTF for games.  My price range is about 250-300 USD.  

Does the bass sound plentiful to you? Or did you change your mind after reading some graphs? Bear in mind that the shape of the frequency response is not the only indicator of what "bass" is. Sound is far more complex than the amplitude of a frequency sweep. You have the actual driver response, damping, resonance/decay, etc, to consider.

If you already own the A900, what makes then "supposedly good for classical"? Can't you judge that for yourself?

If you're looking for a good all-rounder that's also good for games, Audio Technica is usually one of my first recommendations. Next up in your price range would be the AKG K701 or Sennheiser 595 (the latter on sale through Amazon) or stretch the budget slightly for the HD600.

Quote:
After having owned the RX900, AD700, and MS1 for a while now, I'm looking to upgrade.  I've been using my Westone 2 IEMs lately and they have made me realize how lacking the mids are on all of the cans that I have, so I want something that does mids very very well, but still has good high end and bass quality.  I also want something extremely comfortable so that I don't end up going back to my ad700's purely out of comfort reasons (I especially hate when headphones make my ears really hot).

Budget is around $300, any suggestions for headphones with lush, vivid mids and fantastic comfort? Thanks!

Phiaton MS400, Audio Technica ESW9, Sennheiser HD595/598/600, B&W P5

Quote:

Ok, after some good advice and a few PMs I have now become more confused because of all the new headphones I have found in my research. I'm looking for closed back since I will be near people. around the ear. This is what I've been trying to decide between
AT A700
AT M50
AKG K 271 MkII
Senn 280

E7
ibasso D2+ Boa

Advice please. Thanks so much. All the reviews and comments that have brought me to this point have been great. 

Edit: Still in love with the AKG K701. Saw them once and had to find out what they were and what they were like. If I forgo being nice to my neighbors will the above DAC/AMP do these justice?

Those headphones you listed all sound completely different and have different functions. It's really impossible to narrow it down.

A700: good mids, good soundstage, resonance, very comfortable but doesn't stay on well
M50: recessed mids, small soundstage, strong clamp, good isolation, sturdy build
K271: balanced sound, ok soundstage, ok isolation, works better with amp
HD280: balanced sound, small soundstage, fantastic isolation
K701: mid/midhigh focused, good soundstage, works better with amp, open headphone

May 10, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #3,832 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
The AD700 has a large soundstage and is fairly balanced. However, some say that it lacks bass. I, myself, thought that too, but it was fixed with a bass boost from my Fiio E7. If you're fine with that, then they sound perfect for you.

Thanks, Smallville. I have a Total Bithead for away games and will soon (ish) have an Audio GD NFB12 DAC/HPA on the home system. I'm gonna guess that either of those will add the needed "whoomp" to the sound? I'm not a bass junkie by any means anyway.

Don't look to an amp to "fix" your headphone's sound. Using EQ and/or bass boost will make a more noticeable difference.

Quote:
For $500 what headphones & portable amp have the best synergy? 

Question asked by a friend and I couldn't give a definitive answer. 

I can't believe a member of the trade would even ask this... ask a dozen different people and you'll get a dozen different answers.

Quote:
Sorry, I am new to forums......sorry for starting two new threads.....
Starting all over again...

Hi! I have been wanting to upgrade from my ue tf10 pro....what do you guys think I should buy? Looking for a triple driver and up, very neutral and balanced, no coloration,amazing mids In short I want something that will blow my mind....right now sm3 is on top of my list then is westone 4 or shure se535 or um3x or westone 3. how do all these hold up against tf10pro.....or is custom my only hope? trying to keep my budget somewhere around 400 usd.

Thank You Everyone

You'll be better off asking in the portables forum. Also, check out this massive review here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/

May 10, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #3,834 of 29,490
Ok so back to this site after some time, been enjoying my xb500 a lot, and with a bit of EQ'ing it sounds phenomenal, so i was looking at the next logical upgrade with like maybe an amp if required.

The most i can go for it 250$-300$

any suggestions please ?

May 10, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #3,835 of 29,490

Quote:
After having owned the RX900, AD700, and MS1 for a while now, I'm looking to upgrade.  I've been using my Westone 2 IEMs lately and they have made me realize how lacking the mids are on all of the cans that I have, so I want something that does mids very very well, but still has good high end and bass quality.  I also want something extremely comfortable so that I don't end up going back to my ad700's purely out of comfort reasons (I especially hate when headphones make my ears really hot).

Budget is around $300, any suggestions for headphones with lush, vivid mids and fantastic comfort? Thanks!

If you have an amp, AKG K601 or Beyer DT880 first your criteria.

Quote:

AT A700
AT M50
AKG K 271 MkII
Senn 280

E7
ibasso D2+ Boa

I'd skip the HD280 unless you need isolation from outside sound.  They are only so-so sounding and a lot of people find them uncomfortable because they clamp hard.  That's also why the isolate well.  I've only had short listens at meets to the others you list so can't really comment on them.

May 10, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #3,836 of 29,490

I think my question got last page'ed into oblivion, so I think I'll post it again if no one minds...
Quote:
I'm looking at getting some new phones (obviously if I'm posting in this thread), but first I've got to figure out some funny business with my current set.  Right now I've got a set of ATH-A900's, and these phones are often described as having good bass, both by Headroom ("robust") and AT themselves, BUT Headroom's frequency response curve doesn't seem to match that description, and they also seem a tad lacking in that department as well.  Can anyone else weigh in on this?  

I find out more recently that A900's are supposedly good for classical, I'm looking for some open phones good for stuff like the Beatles, Rolling stones, Styx, Ozzie Osbourn, and some country, and ideally would also play well with HRTF for games.  My price range is about 250-300 USD.  

Oh, and I want them to be open backed.  I know I said 250-300, but I'm also kinda tempted by some of those orthos.  

May 10, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #3,837 of 29,490
I don't play games so I don't know how good any headphone is with games.  With that qualification, I can make some recommendations.

A vintage Yamaha ortho HP-1, YH-1, HP-3, or YH-3 would be good if you have an amp.  They aren't open though.  Since I'm an ortho head, I have to restrain myself from recommending them to everyone.
tongue.gif

For open headphones, I'd suggest the K601 or DT880 like I did in my previous post in answer to nibblerabit.  Grados are popular for rock, but I find them so uncomfortable that I've never been able to audition them for more than a few minutes.  That is a common, but not universal, complaint about Grados.

May 10, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #3,838 of 29,490
Quote:
I think my question got last page'ed into oblivion, so I think I'll post it again if no one minds...
Oh, and I want them to be open backed.  I know I said 250-300, but I'm also kinda tempted by some of those orthos.  

I haven't heard those particular ATs but Headroom's graphs are usually right on the money.  Their write ups? Not as much.  IMO the orthos are another league compared to all but the very best dynamics.  They'll need serious amping though.  Unless you've got an old receiver with a beefy headphone out taped from the speaker terminals laying around it will probably be at least a $200 to get a strong enough amp.  If you're not up to modding up a pair of T50RPs or what not you'll have go with one of the newer offerings.  The HE-4 is the cheapest, supposed to sound very similar to the HE-5LE which I've heard and liked, but also very hard to drive.  Even with the savings from the amp bundle that HiFiMan is doing right now its still double your budget.

I'm not sure how they'd do with classical, but they're great with rock and metal.

You'll also want to check here about gaming with the HE-4.  Mad Lust recently got a pair and might have commented on gaming with them, I forget.  Also, FWIR people seem to  like the AD700 better with games and the AD900 better with music.

May 10, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #3,839 of 29,490
I am new to the scene, and i am looking for the best sound setup i can for use one my iphone 3gs. i just purchased the ultrasone 780 and a nuforce mobile icon amp(which didnt really do much to the sound). i wcan spend 150-300 on the cans and another 1-150 on an amp. please help there is alot to take in. i do car most about sound quality, but a close second is comfort. thats where the ulrasounds have let me down a bit.

May 10, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #3,840 of 29,490

Quote:
Ok so back to this site after some time, been enjoying my xb500 a lot, and with a bit of EQ'ing it sounds phenomenal, so i was looking at the next logical upgrade with like maybe an amp if required.

The most i can go for it 250$-300$

any suggestions please ?

What are you changing with the EQ?

The natural step up would be the XB700 or 1000, or consider a Beyer DT770.

Quote:
I am new to the scene, and i am looking for the best sound setup i can for use one my iphone 3gs. i just purchased the ultrasone 780 and a nuforce mobile icon amp(which didnt really do much to the sound). i wcan spend 150-300 on the cans and another 1-150 on an amp. please help there is alot to take in. i do car most about sound quality, but a close second is comfort. thats where the ulrasounds have let me down a bit.

Comfort is a tricky thing. Go to your nearest electronics or music store and try some headphones out to see which styles suit you.

In general, the requirement of amps is exagerrated for most consumer headphones. I would skip that for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back