++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 5, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #3,736 of 29,490

Quote:
I kinda broke my ATH-A700s, trying to fix it with some epoxy but cant guarantee it will hold. I love these things, but they certainly lack bass for my tastes. might someone recommend a replacement headphone about the same price as the ATH-A700 with a more bass. Thank you

How about the Shure 840 or 750DJ.

Quote:
Hey I'm new to the site and I was looking for a new pair of headphones that were within the 100-200$ price range. So far I've only been using my pair of Klipsh S4i earbuds. I've looked at a few headphones like the Audiotechnica Athm50's and the Ultrasone HFI 580's.I typically listen to alternative and indie rock, acoustic rock, classic rock, house, trance, rap,  dubstep, and occasionally some other things but I was looking for a pair that would be good for those genres. I was wondering what were other good headphone suggestions, and also which ones you would recommend. 

The two you mentioned are good, as are the Shure 840/750, M-Audio Q40, Phiaton MS400, which all have a bass emphasis to varying degrees.

May 5, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #3,737 of 29,490

Quote:
Hiya,
im looking for some budget over ear headphones  that sound decent for the price and feel  ok,gona be using them  pc, gameing  watching movies etc andthey also  need to have a long cable 2.5-3meters. I want something under £20 i know thats not alot but i dont rly want to spend any more. im currently lookin  at sennheiser hd201 and Sony MDR-XD100. Which of these would you recomend? or if theres something beter with in my price range  u could  recomend.
Thanks
(btw im from england so if u give me any links make sure there in £ not $)

I'm not very familiar with the offerings in your price range, but take a look at Koss who makes a lot of nice budget gear.

Quote:
Hello

Some guidance from those in the know would be much appreciated. I've looking for some cans don't want to spend more than £100, I have seen Shure's 440 and 840 which are tempting, from what I've read the 440s might be a good starting point, but is it worth spending the extra £30ish to get the 840. I've read a bit about the fiio e7, would such a product make a noticeable enhancement to the 440s?

Is there any other headphones at a similar price which I could perhaps consider?

I listen to rock/indie/alternative mainly.

The other key thing is I could do with something not overly fragile.

Cheers folks

The 840 is a bigger/heavier/bassier version of the 440. I find the 440 more neutral sounding and more comfortable.

External dac/amps for the most part are exagerrated here. There's a difference, but it's small. Unless you're very familiar with your source material and know what to listen for, and are using headphones that like a little more juice, you probably won't notice a difference. In any event, always best to purchase the headphones first and get used to their sound before buying all the toys.

May 5, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #3,738 of 29,490
hey guys i have searched for a good pair of headphones for a very long time. I have narrowed it down to 2 choices (maybe 3) I like the ultrasone pro 550 because it comes with a case and it has a detachable cable. I also like the hfi 780 but it doesnt have a case. How do these headphones sound without an amp with an ipod. I have found them on amazon for the same price except the pro 550 is confusing because when it shows pictures of the product it shows the old blue kind and the new sick silver kind so i dont know which one it is and if i should buy it. The hfi 780 shows the new kind but i dont know which is better. I also am starting to like the sennheiser hd 25-1 II because they are adidas colors and are origonal. Im leaning toward these now. They are about 40 dollars more than they 2 ultrasones used 80 new. Are they worth it? Links: pro 550 new 152 also one used for 144 http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-550-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000YDYEDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1304466079&sr=8-1 hfi 780 new 164 one used is 154 http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-780-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101XVH2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1304466079&sr=8-4 Sennheiser new $229 http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Adidas-HD-Orginals-Headphones/dp/B0030T0QBG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=A3DV4MZPCFJ08H&s=merchant-items&qid=1304466452&sr=1-2 Sennheiser used like new only 190? I herd some dont come with anything except the head phones.Are these legit? http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0030T0QBG/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1304466224&sr=1-1&condition=used

May 5, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #3,739 of 29,490
Hey guys. I'm thinking I should go back and give some IEMs another chance.

I have finally busted the cable up on my old freebie Philips ones up enough that I don't want to "tolerate" their quality anymore. I tried the Mee M6 until the cable jacket busted. I couldn't get a seal during the brief period that I had them, so it may be worth trying once again with a new set of tips, but I'm open to other cheap recommendations. I don't want to go into much considering I don't know if I'll ever be able to deal with fit issues yet. I'm currently thinking a $50 limit considering the massive numbers below there, some of which are pretty well received.

So basically, can somebody give me a IEM, and a tip that fits my musical tastes (rock, metal, etc. mostly).

I've never found a silicone tip that fits particularly well. I have yet to try a hybrid or a foam tip and am thinking it's the way to go.

EDIT: Unless it's nice clean bass, I'd prefer it to be bass light rather than overwhelming or muddy. I love quick, accurate bass, but in my projected price range, I don't see it happening all that often.

Anything to recommend?

May 5, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #3,740 of 29,490
Quote:
Anything to recommend?

I don't think any of the people following this thread to recommend stuff have lots of experience with cheap IEMs.  You should probably try asking in the portable/IEM forum.  I'd be happy to give you a some advice but I've got no experience with IEMs in that price range...

May 5, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #3,741 of 29,490
I've been looking at the Ultrasone HFI 680 and was wondering how the mids are on it. It supposedly has a more neutral sound signature than the 580 and 780 but are the mids on the 680 still slightly recessed? And how is the detail and soundstage? There's a lack of information on the 680 as it seems to be a lot less popular here than the 580 or 780.

May 5, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #3,742 of 29,490
Unfortunately, the cheapest IEM I've tried in the last 3 or 4 years is the Nox Scout and that's out of your price range.  I'm not even sure if I could recommend it because I haven't heard anything else in that price range.  It's OK, but not as good as my other IEMs.  I'd check out ljokerl's big IEM review.

May 6, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #3,745 of 29,490
so I got my k701s about a week ago and have been listening to them a whole lot. they sound great.

I keep thinking I'm hearing static but it's just certain songs/recordings, and from time to time it's subtle details (fingers on strings) that are coming across wrong unless I listen very closely.

I'm a little paranoid because when I got my first headphones they had an issue and I needed them replaced (grados a couple of years ago).

anyway, just want to say I'm happy with them. valhalla is I believe arriving tomorrow so I'm very excited to get that going!

May 6, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #3,746 of 29,490
Posting again.

I have the TMA-1's, but I'm looking for something better after they inevitably break. I'd prefer something that has a great soundstage, isn't fatiguing on treble (or alternatively, responsive to EQing), and has a detachable cord.

May 6, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #3,747 of 29,490
What would be a good portable (or at least semi-portable, collapsible, cups that lie flat) closed headphone for $100 - $200? I'm looking mostly for a really nice midrange (mostly for vocals, acoustics, instrumentals).
The ubiquitous ath-m50s seemed like a good choice but I'm turned off by the recessed mids. Also, the ultrasone hfi line has more of a U-shaped sound sig that seems like the mids won't be as pronounced and detailed as I would like. And Ultrasones are more of a basshead headphone (Although the hfi 680 is supposed to have a more neutral sound sig).
I've also looked at the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II but the lack of a decent soundstage and the fact that its supra-aural, and not circum-aural doesn't make it particularly attractive. I also want to get something different from the "Sennheiser" sound since I already own a pair of HD428's.

Right now I'm looking mainly at the Ultrasone HFI 680 and the ATH es7. Which headphone would be better in terms of mids? And are there other closed headphones that could do better than these?

I'll be running these unamped for now, but will most likely pick up a fiio e7 or e11 with a LOD eventually.

May 6, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #3,748 of 29,490
Quote:
I've been looking at the Ultrasone HFI 680 and was wondering how the mids are on it. It supposedly has a more neutral sound signature than the 580 and 780 but are the mids on the 680 still slightly recessed? And how is the detail and soundstage? There's a lack of information on the 680 as it seems to be a lot less popular here than the 580 or 780.

People don't buy Ultrasone for the mids. People love Ultrasone for the punchy bass and the sparkling highs. Maybe also for soundstage, but I think most people only look at S-Logic (aka out-of-your-head) as a gimmick.

Now I haven't heard the 680 but I can imagine it sounds like a bug lying on its back, struggling to get back on its feet. :wink:
I could be wrong, but I doubt Ultrasone is the same without its energetic presentation.

May 6, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #3,749 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay, I need some help, guys!

My newest addition, the DT990/600, is not as good as I hoped it to be. Bass is too strong and sounds horrible with anything that is not 100% instruments - so no Hip-Hop, no distortions, no Electronica. It is very much in the front, too. I love that the bass with the HFI-780 is far in the back - it creates an immense depth. Although I wanted a headphone that shines with Jazz and has a more neutral presentation than my Ultrasones, I didn't expect them to sound that bad with everything else.
Another thing that bothers me is soundstage. It creates a full rich sound in and around the head, but that's the problem. Positioning is worse than my HFI-780 and I don't like that the music plays inside my head. I was hoping for a more distant, yet engaging sound. I was also hoping for more depth at a 300€ price tag.
Female voices sound a little too thin at times (Michael Jackson's voice is piercing). The resolution is also very unforgiving to any mastered victims of the loudness war.

Here are some alternatives that I've also checked out before:
- AKG 701: I actually liked what I heard, but I didn't get the chance to try my own music. I'm 100% sure that I'll be missing sub-bass, though.
- Sennheiser HD650: Not bad, but this warm and relaxed sound is not for me. I can imagine to adapt to the veil, but the warmth is way too much!
- Denon AH-D200: It's like the bad version of an Ultrasone. Boomy bass with piercing highs.
- Ultrasone PRO 750: Great bass, great soundstage, great sparkle in the highs... but the sound is too thin! Voices don't sound realistic at all.
- Grado SR-80: I was also offered to listen to the 325 but there was no reason. I did not like the presentation at all.

So, I like (not love) my Ultrasones and I was hoping to improve with a more neutral presentation as the presentation is pretty colored. I love S-Logic and the punchy bass, though.
My HJE900 amaze me every time with what I consider a lively, musical and realistic sound. (I know, this might be me, but I can't change it. To me, not only voices sound fuller and better than with any of the afore mentioned headphones! The Panasonic nails the tonality I'm looking for!) Soundstage and positioning is great for an IEM, too. I want THIS blown up into full size mayhem!

I was thus told to try out the DT880 but I got the DT990 for cheaper. (I didn't expect the DT990 to have that much bass for a reference model.) However, if the only difference is a more mellowed bass, I'm not sure if the DT880 would be good enough for me. Are there any other recommendations?
Would the Edition 8 suit me? If yes, I might save up until Christmas...

Ok, I have found what I want... no, what I need!

Behold, the Beyerdynamic T1! Holy mother of headphones, this is the best sound I have ever heard! I can't stop drooling. It's like a cross of conventional Beyerdynamic tonality with the energy of Ultrasone!

May 6, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #3,750 of 29,490

Quote:
Posting again.

I have the TMA-1's, but I'm looking for something better after they inevitably break. I'd prefer something that has a great soundstage, isn't fatiguing on treble (or alternatively, responsive to EQing), and has a detachable cord.

By the time you break the TMA-1, the headphone landscape will be totally different. Best to simply wait a while until it happens... or are you just looking for an excuse to buy a buy a new toy?
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
What would be a good portable (or at least semi-portable, collapsible, cups that lie flat) closed headphone for $100 - $200? I'm looking mostly for a really nice midrange (mostly for vocals, acoustics, instrumentals).
The ubiquitous ath-m50s seemed like a good choice but I'm turned off by the recessed mids. Also, the ultrasone hfi line has more of a U-shaped sound sig that seems like the mids won't be as pronounced and detailed as I would like. And Ultrasones are more of a basshead headphone (Although the hfi 680 is supposed to have a more neutral sound sig).
I've also looked at the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II but the lack of a decent soundstage and the fact that its supra-aural, and not circum-aural doesn't make it particularly attractive. I also want to get something different from the "Sennheiser" sound since I already own a pair of HD428's.

Right now I'm looking mainly at the Ultrasone HFI 680 and the ATH es7. Which headphone would be better in terms of mids? And are there other closed headphones that could do better than these?

I'll be running these unamped for now, but will most likely pick up a fiio e7 or e11 with a LOD eventually.

The HD25-1-ii is unlike a typical Sennheiser, much like how the M50 is unlike the typical Audio Technica.

If you're considering the ES7, maybe poke the top of your budget and consider a used ESW9a (I think there was on the the sale forums recently). Great portable headphone with fantastic mids, easily a step up from the ES7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back