++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 4, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #3,721 of 29,490
I called a few places and so no store has a demo of the phones I been looking at. So between  its betweenAKG K702,  AKG K271MKII or the  Denon AH-D2000
what would be the best choice for a blind buy. The k702 and the Denon are around $260 and the K271 are $155.

May 4, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #3,722 of 29,490
I haven't been following this thread so I don't know if you've posted before, but you've picked 3 completely different headphones, all with different sound signatures and amping requirements.

Edit:  I've looked back though the thread.  I'm not familiar with the Fiio amps so I'm not sure how they'd work with the headphones you listed.  I've only heard them though desktop amps.  The K271 and D2000 aren't that hard to drive.  I'm not sure about the K702.  Where do you live?  Is there a meet scheduled soon in your area?  If so, I'd wait until you could go to a meet and listen to some of these headphones.  The D2000 and K702 or K701 have been at most meets I've been to, even small ones.

Edit2:  I've not heard the K271MkII, just the K271.  I don't know what the difference is between them

May 4, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #3,723 of 29,490

Quote:
I called a few places and so no store has a demo of the phones I been looking at. So between  its betweenAKG K702,  AKG K271MKII or the  Denon AH-D2000
what would be the best choice for a blind buy. The k702 and the Denon are around $260 and the K271 are $155.

Buying blind, I would take the D2000.

Granted, I've owned or heard all three... and I would still pick the Denon for general listening. I think there was a D2000 on the sale forums not too long ago if you care to search for it.

May 4, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #3,724 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've gone through a pretty good selection of headphones and seem to have a good idea of what kind of sound you want. Unfortunately, I think you might be at the point where modding might be easier rather than trying to find that magical headphone that fulfills all your needs. Fortunately, Ultrasones seem to have several mods available, and I believe a headfier named Kees is the one to track down. Do some searches for Ultrasone mods and see what comes up. Best of luck.

Yes, you simply can't beat Ultrasone if you want fun in a headphone! High fidelity sounds different, though. I will look into Kees mods, cheers!

May 4, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #3,725 of 29,490
Quote:

Ehmm... what are your preferences? You seem to have no idea about how different headphones can sound. If you can't chose between AKG and Denon then you certainly should not start at such a high price point. Start little and appreciate differences. Enjoy every step on the ladder.

But of those two, I'd take the Denon and check if there's anything that bothers you. The Denon is also easier to drive.

May 4, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #3,726 of 29,490

Quote:

pity there are none about for testing. but when i said to test things i kind of meant go listen to literally anything you can get your hands on to find out what type of sound you do and dont like, not necessarily just the ones you are looking for. it was a recommendation so that you can come back on here in a few days and say something like.

"i like a slightly warm sound, but i dont like the blanketed sound of "insert name of can here" i love the punchy bass of "insert can here" but really didnt like how the "insert can here"'s bass trampled the mids. i like a lot of detail, but sound stage isnt too important but harsh highs seem to give me listening fatigue"

If you come up with a list of requirements like that people here will be able to make you chose the perfect head phone. rather than just A headphone.

May 4, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #3,729 of 29,490
I kinda broke my ATH-A700s, trying to fix it with some epoxy but cant guarantee it will hold. I love these things, but they certainly lack bass for my tastes. might someone recommend a replacement headphone about the same price as the ATH-A700 with a more bass. Thank you

May 4, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #3,731 of 29,490
Hey I'm new to the site and I was looking for a new pair of headphones that were within the 100-200$ price range. So far I've only been using my pair of Klipsh S4i earbuds. I've looked at a few headphones like the Audiotechnica Athm50's and the Ultrasone HFI 580's.I typically listen to alternative and indie rock, acoustic rock, classic rock, house, trance, rap,  dubstep, and occasionally some other things but I was looking for a pair that would be good for those genres. I was wondering what were other good headphone suggestions, and also which ones you would recommend. 

May 5, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #3,732 of 29,490
Alrighty. A buddy of mine is wanting to come into the audiophile scene. I haven't had a ton of experience with varieties of headphones so it's hard to give him a recommendation based on my own personal tastes.

His demands:

*He's a basshead (yes I already recommend him ultrasone's)

*Wants focus on mid upper levels and anything that compliments dubstep.

*$300 maximum budget. 

And Go.

(p.s. I hate dubstep -_- )

May 5, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #3,733 of 29,490
Ultrasones. Or the Sony XB Line. 700s or 1000s.

(p.s. Don't be a hater :D)

EDIT: DJ1 Pro seems like the right way to go to me.
Quote:
Alrighty. A buddy of mine is wanting to come into the audiophile scene. I haven't had a ton of experience with varieties of headphones so it's hard to give him a recommendation based on my own personal tastes.

His demands:

*He's a basshead (yes I already recommend him ultrasone's)

*Wants focus on mid upper levels and anything that compliments dubstep.

*$300 maximum budget. 

And Go.

(p.s. I hate dubstep -_- )

May 5, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #3,734 of 29,490
Hiya,
im looking for some budget over ear headphones  that sound decent for the price and feel  ok,gona be using them  pc, gameing  watching movies etc andthey also  need to have a long cable 2.5-3meters. I want something under £20 i know thats not alot but i dont rly want to spend any more. im currently lookin  at sennheiser hd201 and Sony MDR-XD100. Which of these would you recomend? or if theres something beter with in my price range  u could  recomend.
Thanks
(btw im from england so if u give me any links make sure there in £ not $)

May 5, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #3,735 of 29,490
Hello

Some guidance from those in the know would be much appreciated. I've looking for some cans don't want to spend more than £100, I have seen Shure's 440 and 840 which are tempting, from what I've read the 440s might be a good starting point, but is it worth spending the extra £30ish to get the 840. I've read a bit about the fiio e7, would such a product make a noticeable enhancement to the 440s?

Is there any other headphones at a similar price which I could perhaps consider?

I listen to rock/indie/alternative mainly.

The other key thing is I could do with something not overly fragile.

Cheers folks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back