++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 2, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #3,646 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
For portable use off that list, I would only consider the M50 and HD25 (and my vote goes to the HD25). The others are too big and/or or do not fold up for transport.

The wing system on the A900 is really what makes it non-portable (nevermind that it really is *big*).

Folding isn't a problem for me (I have a lot of locker space). My main concerns for portability are sound isolation, being able to be driven with a portable source + small amp and that it won't be bobbing as I walk. I always have lots of space on my locker and in my bag for big headphones (unless they're gigantic which is what people are saying about the a900s).

I also forgot to mention ultrasone pro 900 (may be getting in on a bulk order which would keep it within my price range).

Out of the
Pro900
HD25
SR325is
HD598

Which would you recommend for my criteria (you kind of didn't talk about the grados and hd 598)? Because the HD25s seem to fit my criteria well but if I can trade off a bit of portability for better sound quality I will.
I apologize if I'm coming across as demanding.

Some of my criteria for portable are: isolation, decent fit/stable (ie: stays secure on my head without wobbling), rugged build quality, short cord, comfortable while worn around neck, and reasonably small for transport in a bag (don't kid yourself, space is almost always an issue).

The A900 are big, not rugged, can't be worn on the neck, not stable... basically the antithesis of portable. The 598 and 325 are both open, which means you're either fighting against outside noise to hear your music (ie: you won't), or you're in a quiet environment and will anger everyone else around you're the one making noise (especially with Grados). The 598 is at least very stable and doesn't leak too badly. The 325 on the other hand is just like any other Grado: loose fit, and just as loud on the outside as in.

I haven't heard the Pro900, but I've heard several of the Pro models lower down and they're all fine headphones which are suitable for portable use.

May 2, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #3,648 of 29,490
hi folks,

i have been doing some research on the forum for the past few days and realized that i need to get my hands on some decent headphones. i want something full size but with less impedence. this is because i am planning to use it for traveling and without the use of a headphone amp. i have been considering these-

hd 595
beyer 770 32 ohm
hd 25
ultrasone 650

can you suggest anything else?

also, if i have phones with less impedence and i start using a headphone amp, will it be different from using one with higher impedence?

May 2, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #3,649 of 29,490

Quote:
It's really impossible to definitively say which is "better" for an individual. I would choose more on comfort and features.

Hmm alright sir. Thanks! But going back, how does the HFI-580 compare with the HD25-1? Sorry sir noob.

May 2, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #3,650 of 29,490

Quote:
Bleh, I hate being the last post on a page, everyone misses it >>'. I'm just gonna c/p my questions from before, sorry, I've been trying to get info here for 2 days now with no success lol.

Quote:
I'm new to quality headphones (as I've only used cheap junkers thus far) and have no experience with them. I'm looking for headphones suited for epic/anthem trance, headphones that pronounce that uplifting and vitalizing sensation. I want the very best of the best that I can find (for it's cheapest available price) under USD$160. I use this music to aid in my meditation, I'll spend hours completely out of my mind zoning to the melody. Headphones to help further the euphoric sensation the music gives would be great. :)

I've done alot of research and heard that the m50's are a great deal, but elsewhere I've read they are a tad muddy with poor "soundstage". I couldn't know anything of the manner, but if these headphones are best and help me feel at the center/surrounded by the music, I'll be happy, If not, please point me in the right direction. =)

Here are some examples of the kind of music I want treated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTHrIPHCBK4&feature=BFa&list=PL57183341C9ADA4F5&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d34hJwMhVto&feature=BFa&list=PL57183341C9ADA4F5&index=30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoLJ4CWSLSI&feature=BFa&list=PL57183341C9ADA4F5&index=7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn7XKZ729vM&feature=BFp&list=PL57183341C9ADA4F5&index=56

(On a sidenote I read in a couple threads people were getting m50's for 94$ from authorized dealers, I went to the same websites and the price is 70$ higher now. Why did the price jump so bad? Cheapest I can find is 125$)

Thanks =)

May 2, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #3,651 of 29,490
Hi everyone,

I’m looking to buy my first pair of decent headphones. I mostly listen to House/Electro/Hip-Hop and Alternative music and I will be using the headphones with my Ipod and Laptop (no amp). I’m looking for something with pretty good bass, but I’ll sacrifice some bass for overall quality, because I really want the House/Electro to shine through. Also, it has to be closed because I will be traveling with them quite a bit so I don’t want to bother everyone around me with my music.

I’ve been leaning towards the Senn HD 448’s any opinions if they would match my criteria, if not what would you suggest?

Looking to spend 150 or less, thanks all for the help!

May 2, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #3,652 of 29,490
Hey guys,

Just wanted to get your opinions on what I should be looking at to upgrade from my AT AD700s?

Looking to spend around ~$300-400ish. I love the sound signature of the AD700s and they are so damn comfortable. Looking for something that sounds even better, is just as comfortable and looks awesome. Preferably open I guess.

For use at home, listening to music (mainly trance/house/electronica with some pop/rock thrown in) as well as for movies and music.

Looking for something that doesn't really need to be amped (I will be upgrading to an Asus STX/Creative TiHD at the same time which have a built in opamp, so yea, they will be a bit amped I guess).

So, whats the go these days?

Thanks guys :)

May 2, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #3,653 of 29,490

Really, that's the downside of a thread like this 90% of the questions are ignored :frowning2:
Can Anyone help me?
Quote:
Hey there,

I want to buy new headphones and I did a lot of research and it seems I will have to choose between the Sennheiser HD 518s and the HD 555s. They would cost me roughly the same, so the price is not the deciding factor.  My musical taste is mainly Rock (pink floyd, radiohead) but also some electronic stuff and some pop. Overall, though, I'd like a pretty good all-around sound, with no tendencies towards any specific direction. Also, I want to listen mostly on my PC, without any amps.
Which ones should I take?

May 2, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #3,656 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm new to quality headphones (as I've only used cheap junkers thus far) and have no experience with them. I'm looking for headphones suited for epic/anthem trance, headphones that pronounce that uplifting and vitalizing sensation. I want the very best of the best that I can find (for it's cheapest available price) under USD$160. I use this music to aid in my meditation, I'll spend hours completely out of my mind zoning to the melody. Headphones to help further the euphoric sensation the music gives would be great. :)

I've done alot of research and heard that the m50's are a great deal, but elsewhere I've read they are a tad muddy with poor "soundstage". I couldn't know anything of the manner, but if these headphones are best and help me feel at the center/surrounded by the music, I'll be happy, If not, please point me in the right direction. =)

Thanks =)

Denon headphones (AH-D2000) do offer a good sense of space / soundstage, deep bass and extended treble that make for a nicely immersive experience.

May 2, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #3,658 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey there,

I want to buy new headphones and I did a lot of research and it seems I will have to choose between the Sennheiser HD 518s and the HD 555s. They would cost me roughly the same, so the price is not the deciding factor.  My musical taste is mainly Rock (pink floyd, radiohead) but also some electronic stuff and some pop. Overall, though, I'd like a pretty good all-around sound, with no tendencies towards any specific direction. Also, I want to listen mostly on my PC, without any amps.
Which ones should I take?

In your shoes, I'd get HD555 and mod them into HD595.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back