++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 22, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #3,346 of 29,490
Are the DJ1s and the HFI580s any different in terms of sound quality/signature/frequency? I've heard the on-display 580s and the out-of-the-box DJ1s, and I'm hearing a little more sibilance in the DJ1s. It could be that the 580s have burned in more, but I just want to be sure.

Apr 22, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #3,348 of 29,490

Quote:
Are the DJ1s and the HFI580s any different in terms of sound quality/signature/frequency? I've heard the on-display 580s and the out-of-the-box DJ1s, and I'm hearing a little more sibilance in the DJ1s. It could be that the 580s have burned in more, but I just want to be sure.

DJ1 and 580 are the same apart from the looks and the cable.  (straight cable on 580 and coiled on DJ1).  Ultrasone tend to need a long burn in and my one straight out of the box sounded pretty dire.

Apr 22, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #3,349 of 29,490
After reading other's best under $100, i settled on the sony mdr-v6.
Picked them up for under $50 though, referb from sony. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Y'all!

Apr 22, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #3,350 of 29,490
Hi,

I've been using the HD 555 for a few years but would like to replace them with something else. I find them very comfortable but I would prefer something with more bass. I use the CX 300-II in-ears for when I go out and really enjoy their heavy bass. I also use Logitech Z300 on my computer. The bass is great, but I know I'm missing out on some details that are getting buried by it... so I don't want to be DROWNING in bass either :)

I would prefer staying with Sennheiser but other brands are definitely welcome. Open headphones are also preferred, unless closed are generally considered better for bass. My budget is ~$500 but I would still like to hear about models in the $200-300 range.

Thanks

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #3,351 of 29,490
Howdy,

I'm a high school senior soon entering college, extremely new to this endless sea of headphones and have had the misfortune of 
using terrible IEMs for as long as I can remember.

Id say I listen to 40% jazz, 30% folk/alternative, 10% rock, 10% classical,  and 5% other (random house/trance) with a budget of somewhere up to $150 max.

Im looking for a dependable set of comfortable buds, on-ears, or over-ears with optimum sound quality (distinction between components, crisp instrumentals and vocals, etc.). In my price range, please suggest some models with the best bang for their buck; I already know the ATH-M50s are a solid choice all around, any others?

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #3,352 of 29,490
Supra-aural Portables:

Okay guys. I've had the Senn HD 25-1 IIs, and the AIAIAI TMA-1s.

Senn 25s: Very uncomfortable, but I enjoyed the sound. Fairly neutral.
AIAIAI TMA-1: Very, very comfy, but the sounded way too dark to listen to genres like Folk, or Solo Guitar.
MS 400: Too Bassy for an all rounder (like the TMA-1), a little loose on the head (although pretty comfy)

What are my options at this point?

Of course the DT 1350, but what else?

Budget isn't too important, Supra-aurals are mostly reasonable.

Oh, and something like the size of the Phiaton MS 400 is alright as well (even though they aren't exactly Supra-aural)

Suggestions?

EDIT: Clip ons are okay as well. Been a bit curious about some of ATs stuff.

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #3,353 of 29,490
Well there are other "in-between" sort of 'phones by AT.  You've already got the ES10 listed as "wanted" in you sig.  If you've got cash and patience the  ESW10JPN are supposed to be a very good mid-focused sound but I've never heard a pair as they're discontinued and somewhat rare.

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #3,354 of 29,490
Well there are other "in-between" sort of 'phones by AT.  You've already got the ES10 listed as "wanted" in you sig.  If you've got cash and patience the  ESW10JPN are supposed to be a very good mid-focused sound but I've never heard a pair as they're discontinued and somewhat rare.

Yeah...I really want a pair...They're beautiful and the sound seems like what I want...but they're going to run about $400...when you can find them...That's a brutal price...

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #3,355 of 29,490
Quote:
Yeah...I really want a pair...They're beautiful and the sound seems like what I want...but they're going to run about $400...when you can find them...That's a brutal price...

I know what you mean.  I just had an interesting idea that may force me to brutalize my bank account soon.  I just realized I can probably make my room quite a bit quieter liberally applying dynamat and similar materials to my window A/C unit.  If that works, there will be reason to spend more money on open headphones again. I already knew exactly what I would want if my room was quieter and so an LCD-2 may be in my future...

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #3,356 of 29,490
I know what you mean.  I just had an interesting idea that may force me to brutalize my bank account soon.  I just realized I can probably make my room quite a bit quieter liberally applying dynamat and similar materials to my window A/C unit.  If that works, there will be reason to spend more money on open headphones again. I already knew exactly what I would want if my room was quieter and so an LCD-2 may be in my future...

There's an HE 6 in my future...That's going to be a brutal purchase as well...Can't wait.

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #3,358 of 29,490
You know what. Screw it.

I don't care how big they are anymore. I need a headphone with a good 'every genre' kind of sound. Needs a straight cable, needs to be fairly comfy. I'll be powering it with the Arrow mostly, but of course my home amps every now and then as well. I like the sound a little bassy, but I need it to be good with genres like Folk as well.

Not sure about the cable situation on some of the headphones I'd be looking at, which is the problem. Can't carry a coiled cable, hate it.

Strongly considering the DT 770 250 Ohm.

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #3,359 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,

I've been using the HD 555 for a few years but would like to replace them with something else. I find them very comfortable but I would prefer something with more bass. I use the CX 300-II in-ears for when I go out and really enjoy their heavy bass. I also use Logitech Z300 on my computer. The bass is great, but I know I'm missing out on some details that are getting buried by it... so I don't want to be DROWNING in bass either :)

I would prefer staying with Sennheiser but other brands are definitely welcome. Open headphones are also preferred, unless closed are generally considered better for bass. My budget is ~$500 but I would still like to hear about models in the $200-300 range.

Thanks

If you want to stick to Sennheiser then can upgrade and get the HD 650.  The only open bass heavier headphones I can think of are Beyerdynamic DT990 and the Ultrasone HFI 2400.

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #3,360 of 29,490

Quote:
You know what. Screw it.

I don't care how big they are anymore. I need a headphone with a good 'every genre' kind of sound. Needs a straight cable, needs to be fairly comfy. I'll be powering it with the Arrow mostly, but of course my home amps every now and then as well. I like the sound a little bassy, but I need it to be good with genres like Folk as well.

Not sure about the cable situation on some of the headphones I'd be looking at, which is the problem. Can't carry a coiled cable, hate it.

Strongly considering the DT 770 250 Ohm.

I heard the Denon D7000 is pretty good.  
tongue_smile.gif

I just don't understand why people won't consider big headphones portable.  As long as it fits on my head then it is portable.  I'll walk around with LCD2 out if I had one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back