++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 23, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #3,361 of 29,490
I heard the Denon D7000 is pretty good.  
tongue_smile.gif

I just don't understand why people won't consider big headphones portable.  As long as it fits on my head then it is portable.  I'll walk around with LCD2 out if I had one.

Yeah. I'm starting to forget about the typical idea of portable. Decent IEMs if you really need to not have on real headphones.

Plus, more chance of people asking to try them in public. That's always fun! lol

EDIT: Not rugged enough for portable use...and the cable is like a bajillion miles long...and it terminates to 1/4"...:rolleyes:

Apr 23, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #3,362 of 29,490

Quote:
Anyone have the Sony zx300's?

Looking at buying them but I can't find reviews anywhere!
I mainly want to know if they have good bass or not?

When in doubt, stick to the more established headphones with good reviews. I assume you're looking for a ~$50 closed portable set? Or can we expand those parameters a bit?

Quote:
Hi,

I've been using the HD 555 for a few years but would like to replace them with something else. I find them very comfortable but I would prefer something with more bass. I use the CX 300-II in-ears for when I go out and really enjoy their heavy bass. I also use Logitech Z300 on my computer. The bass is great, but I know I'm missing out on some details that are getting buried by it... so I don't want to be DROWNING in bass either :)

I would prefer staying with Sennheiser but other brands are definitely welcome. Open headphones are also preferred, unless closed are generally considered better for bass. My budget is ~$500 but I would still like to hear about models in the $200-300 range.

Thanks

I did not find the 580/600/650 bass to be signficantly more than the 555, and you need an amp to even get that oomph (which makes me think it's more a factor of amping than the headphone itself). Actually, the most bass from an open Sennheiser I've heard is the diminuitive PX100 (and PX100-ii)

Closed headphones generally have more bass than open.

The Beyer DT990 is open with a pretty strong bass, but it's also peaked in the highs which is a bit much if you're used to the smoother Senn sound. I can't really think of another open headphone that might suit you.

For closed, the D5000 is pretty good and has a solid bass to it. Slightly cheaper, get the D2000 and spend the extra money on jmoney earpads which will increase comfort and seal, which improves bass. The Phiaton PS500 has a similar fit and shape to the Sennheiser and I find it super comfortable. It only isolates moderately, so you can still hear outside sound.

Quote:
http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^np^KDX100 Would this headphone be similar to etymotics?

You might have better luck asking in the portables forum and/or one of the dedicated iem review threads.

Quote:
Supra-aural Portables:

Okay guys. I've had the Senn HD 25-1 IIs, and the AIAIAI TMA-1s.

Senn 25s: Very uncomfortable, but I enjoyed the sound. Fairly neutral.
AIAIAI TMA-1: Very, very comfy, but the sounded way too dark to listen to genres like Folk, or Solo Guitar.
MS 400: Too Bassy for an all rounder (like the TMA-1), a little loose on the head (although pretty comfy)

What are my options at this point?

Of course the DT 1350, but what else?

Budget isn't too important, Supra-aurals are mostly reasonable.

Oh, and something like the size of the Phiaton MS 400 is alright as well (even though they aren't exactly Supra-aural)

Suggestions?

EDIT: Clip ons are okay as well. Been a bit curious about some of ATs stuff.

Quote:
You know what. Screw it.

I don't care how big they are anymore. I need a headphone with a good 'every genre' kind of sound. Needs a straight cable, needs to be fairly comfy. I'll be powering it with the Arrow mostly, but of course my home amps every now and then as well. I like the sound a little bassy, but I need it to be good with genres like Folk as well.

Not sure about the cable situation on some of the headphones I'd be looking at, which is the problem. Can't carry a coiled cable, hate it.

Strongly considering the DT 770 250 Ohm.

To me, portable needs to be something that can fit in a bag, can be worn comfortable around the neck, durable enough to take a bit of bumping about, and not so expensive that I'll worry about losing them all the time.

I do not like the DT770 as an allrounder. Too much thump, not enough mid. I do not like anything in the DT770/880/990 family though, so take that as it may.

I like the D2000/5000 as good allrounders (not fantastic... but decent at most genres), though the stock pads are meh. I always recommend the jmoney earpads even though they're quite expensive, but they are so much more comfortable and improve the seal (which is crucial because the Denons sound terrible without a good seal). I find them big for portable use though, and they don't feel as solid as other options. I wouldn't go any higher than the D2000 for portable use; I would hate to scratch up wood cups. They've also got long cords, so unless you like coiling them up and have big pockets, it's rather inconvenient when walking around.

If you found the MS400 too bassy, the MS300 might be more to your liking. It's the most neutral of the Phiaton family, smaller and lighter, and actually has a better bass punch when amped than the MS400. It also comes with a case for carrying it around. I've got a more extensive review in my profile of the Phiatons.

In the DJ can genre, the Pioneer HDJ-2000 is my current favourite. Almost monitor like in it's frequency response, really comfy and holds well, great sound, meh soundstage but about typical for closed cans. It comes with a coiled cord, but it's replaceable so you could get a straight one (or make one yourself). Pricewise though, it's expensive for what you get.

Apr 23, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #3,363 of 29,490

hi people i am looking out for a new headphone under 600 INR
i am very tight on budget as i dont want to spend in very expensive headphones.
i play a lot of games and watch movies too and sometimes music...so i basically need it for these purposes...
i am looking forward for the PHILIPS SHP2000 or PHILIPS SHP1900.... dont know the difference between these two headphones, if someone would explain it to me it would be better and i heard SHP2000 got bass also :)
and if any other good headphone for the same price then please tell me
P.S:price of shp2000= 600 INR
     price of shp1900= 500 INR
thanks in advance

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #3,364 of 29,490

Quote:
I heard the Denon D7000 is pretty good.  
tongue_smile.gif

I heard that you like recommending headphones you have no experience with.  This is not on. Before you argue, you posted requests for people who had experience with other types of gear to comment when you made a request. Should people who have no idea have replied to you?  Don't answer this, just think about it before you make any more posts.  Helping people when you don't really know isn't helping people.

Quote:

i play a lot of games and watch movies too and sometimes music...so i basically need it for these purposes...
i am looking forward for the PHILIPS SHP2000 or PHILIPS SHP1900.... dont know the difference between these two headphones, if someone would explain it to me it would be better and i heard SHP2000 got bass also :)
thanks in advance

600 INR = US$13.50. That's indeed a very tight budget.

Apr 23, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #3,365 of 29,490
To me, portable needs to be something that can fit in a bag, can be worn comfortable around the neck, durable enough to take a bit of bumping about, and not so expensive that I'll worry about losing them all the time.

I do not like the DT770 as an allrounder. Too much thump, not enough mid. I do not like anything in the DT770/880/990 family though, so take that as it may.

I like the D2000/5000 as good allrounders, though the stock pads are meh. I always recommend the jmoney earpads even though they're quite expensive, but they are so much more comfortable and improve the seal (which is crucial because the Denons sound terrible without a good seal).

If you found the MS400 too bassy, the MS300 might be more to your liking. It's the most neutral of the Phiaton family, smaller and lighter, and actually has a better bass punch when amped than the MS400.

In the DJ can genre, the Pioneer HDJ-2000 is my current favourite. Almost monitor like in it's frequency response, really comfy and holds well, great sound, meh soundstage but about typical for closed cans. It comes with a coiled cord, but it's replaceable so you could get a straight one (or make one yourself).

I like my Denon stock pads, though I want to try the Jmoney ones. I definitely don't agree they sound terrible without a good seal...But alright. lol They're just too fragile as a portable solution (completely ignoring size).

I love the HDJ 2000 though it's up there price wise. It's a great headphone that gets overlooked quite a bit. I've heard it before...Not sure why I never bought one.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #3,366 of 29,490
Okay, so I really need to upgrade to some new headphones but I'm not sure what to go with. I've looked through tons and tons of reviews and I'm still a little unsure. I've been using PX-100s for a while now, and they sound okay, but they're just not getting the job done anymore. I like to listen to music fairly loud (not at unreasonable levels, however) and I just can't make it more than a couple of months without them blowing out. I mostly like them because they're lightweight; I wear headphones pretty much all day every day.

I just need a recommendation for something that sounds good (clarity and bass are important), won't blow out if I turn the volume up, and that are at least somewhat lightweight and comfortable so I can wear them for extended periods.

Right now I'm kind of leaning towards AT M50S, but they look a bit heavy and a couple of reviews mentioned that because they're studio monitors, they'll make all my old MP3s sound horrible. I don't know...

Thoughts?

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #3,367 of 29,490
Looking for a headphone for portable as well as home use.
Genres are mainly RnB/Soul, HipHop/Rap, Pop (modern stuff) but I do listen to Rock, Dance and some acoustic as well, depending on my mood. What's important for me is that it has a decent amount of solid and deep bass without being muddy. I do DJ every once in a while but just for fun.

Was looking at the HD25-1 ii or some Ultrasones. Haven't been able to try any Ultrasones but I have tried the HD25 and I must say I quite enjoy the sound.
Would just like to do some more research. Any other headphones you guys can recommend?

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #3,368 of 29,490
Okay, so I really need to upgrade to some new headphones but I'm not sure what to go with. I've looked through tons and tons of reviews and I'm still a little unsure. I've been using PX-100s for a while now, and they sound okay, but they're just not getting the job done anymore. I like to listen to music fairly loud (not at unreasonable levels, however) and I just can't make it more than a couple of months without them blowing out. I mostly like them because they're lightweight; I wear headphones pretty much all day every day.

I just need a recommendation for something that sounds good (clarity and bass are important), won't blow out if I turn the volume up, and that are at least somewhat lightweight and comfortable so I can wear them for extended periods.

Right now I'm kind of leaning towards AT M50S, but they look a bit heavy and a couple of reviews mentioned that because they're studio monitors, they'll make all my old MP3s sound horrible. I don't know...

Thoughts?

M50s don't sound coloured to me, and therefore should make lower quality MP3s sound worse, in general. For a few extra bucks, HFI 580s should be able to provide clarity and bass, which IMO are both better than the M50s (including mids), but I feel that the M50s frequency extends lower. It's really up to preference, and there are a few versus threads between these two.

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #3,369 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

I like the D2000/5000 as good allrounders, though the stock pads are meh. I always recommend the jmoney earpads even though they're quite expensive, but they are so much more comfortable and improve the seal (which is crucial because the Denons sound terrible without a good seal).

If you found the MS400 too bassy, the MS300 might be more to your liking. It's the most neutral of the Phiaton family, smaller and lighter, and actually has a better bass punch when amped than the MS400.

In the DJ can genre, the Pioneer HDJ-2000 is my current favourite. Almost monitor like in it's frequency response, really comfy and holds well, great sound, meh soundstage but about typical for closed cans. It comes with a coiled cord, but it's replaceable so you could get a straight one (or make one yourself).

I like my Denon stock pads, though I want to try the Jmoney ones. I definitely don't agree they sound terrible without a good seal...But alright. lol They're just too fragile as a portable solution (completely ignoring size).

I love the HDJ 2000 though it's up there price wise. It's a great headphone that gets overlooked quite a bit. I've heard it before...Not sure why I never bought one.

Another thing worth looking at is one of the German Maestro/MB Quart indestructible headphone line.  I just got the 300 ohm one, and it would make a really great all-rounder.  I've heard similar things about the 35 ohm set.  They are more comfortable than they look, and you can toss them in a bag and not worry about them breaking.

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #3,371 of 29,490
Does senn have a return policy? because i wanna try some of their headphones but they are all open backed... just to see if they fit my enviroment. because i deal with 20-30 decibals background noise max so i think its worth a shot, unless yall discourage me again.

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #3,372 of 29,490
I am looking to upgrade my headphones from the HD555's to something more fun  now that I have got a Musiland 02. I have been looking at the DT990/600, Ultrasone Pro 900's, and the Denon D2000's. I listen to Hip Hop, Funk, and Jam Music so I like good bass. So I looking for some advice in which one I should buy. Thanks.

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #3,373 of 29,490
I am looking to upgrade my headphones from the HD555's to something more fun  now that I have got a Musiland 02. I have been looking at the DT990/600, Ultrasone Pro 900's, and the Denon D2000's. I listen to Hip Hop, Funk, and Jam Music so I like good bass. So I looking for some advice in which one I should buy. Thanks.

Pro 900 has great bass, but it sounds very fake. I'd suggest it for for Electronic music.

The D2000 is a headphone I was considering at one point (and I ended up getting the D7000 instead). I can say that the Denon sound sig is a lot of fun. I'm really enjoying it, plus the D2000 has some really cool modding options. Wooden cups, and J$ pads will keep you coming back.

Now, for bass I wouldn't suggest the DT 990. I'd go with the 880. It's got more bass than the 990, but still sounds great.

Comfort wise the Denon and Beyer cans are just ridiculously comfortable. The Pro 900 however really bothered me (mainly the headband).

In short, DT 880, or D2000 (IMO).

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #3,374 of 29,490

Quote:

thanks in advance

Yikes, that's not much to work with... The best thing I can recommend is to check out some of the options listed here:http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-78-portable-headphones-reviewed-sennheiser-px90-px100-ii-added-04-17
and see what's available in your area. The only headphones I've heard in that price range that I liked were the JVC Flats and Koss KSC75.

Quote:

I have a wide head, so the Denon cups wouldn't settle below/behind my ears (I found this problem with both the D2000/5000). They sounded utterly empty and the bass was nonexistant. Pressing down on the cups to make a seal brought back all the sound. It depends on each person though. I have this issue with several other headphones as well.

As much as I like the HDJ2000, I find it difficult to recommend for the price as you're paying for some of the looks and feature set which people may not need. Heck, *I* don't need it and it was a bit of an impulse purchase for me.

I'm intrigued by this new DT1350. Having heard both the T50p and HD25 (and liking both), one can't help but be curious.

Quote:

Thoughts?

First of all, if you're turning up the music so loud that you're actually blowing the headphones, your ears won't be far along either. Closed headphones or iems would probably be better so you aren't fighting with outside noise and they tend to have a more "impactful" sound so you won't need to turn it up as much.

Studio monitors by themselves won't make your music sound bad. *Any* half decent headphone will make bad mp3s sound bad, but for the most part this is an exagerration on the forums. If you didn't notice with the PX100, you probably won't notice with monitors.

Here are a bunch that fit in that category: M50, Shure 840/750, M-Audio Q40, Sony V6.

For extended periods and comfort, I find weight is less an issue than how that weight is distributed. These are all significantly heavier than the PX100. For comfort and bass, I would say the main choices come down to M50, Shure 750, Q40. Actually, for the best comfort and isolation and bass response (especially amped), I would say the Q40 with Beyer DT770 pads.

Quote:
Looking for a headphone for portable as well as home use.
Genres are mainly RnB/Soul, HipHop/Rap, Pop (modern stuff) but I do listen to Rock, Dance and some acoustic as well, depending on my mood. What's important for me is that it has a decent amount of solid and deep bass without being muddy. I do DJ every once in a while but just for fun.

Was looking at the HD25-1 ii or some Ultrasones. Haven't been able to try any Ultrasones but I have tried the HD25 and I must say I quite enjoy the sound.
Would just like to do some more research. Any other headphones you guys can recommend?

The HD25 is a solid headphone. If you've tried it and liked it, buy it. Don't go blind into other purchases without hearing them first. Ultrasones are sometimes hit or miss. They have their S-Logic which a lot of people love, but a few also get a "weird' feeling from it from the say the sound hits the ear.

Quote:
Does senn have a return policy? because i wanna try some of their headphones but they are all open backed... just to see if they fit my enviroment. because i deal with 20-30 decibals background noise max so i think its worth a shot, unless yall discourage me again.

Are you buying from a retailer? Most places have some sort of return policy, but you should ask the retailer directly what their policies are.

Quote:

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #3,375 of 29,490

Buy Steelseries Sybeira v2, or the 5H if you can afford them. I play counter-strike a lot, and trust me, you can deffinetly tell where a player is, through one and even two walls. The only thing bad about it is that it keeps the sound out, but not in, meaning that if you play it at, let's say, 60/70% volume, everyone in the room will hear what you hear. One day, i found myself gaming at max volume, and my brother was in the living room, reading, and he could listen to all the shots fired LOL
concerning the Syberia, you can play 24hrs per day, and you won't feel them. With the heat of the game, you wouldn't even notice that you would be using headphones. The air traffic control tower shape makes it really comfy, with evenly spread weight. The cans are really light, made of plastic. The pads are good, not fake or real leather but it does the job. it hasn't a overpowered clamping force, since it doesn't need it, because the phones really rest on top of your head, and the pads keep a hold of them, you can shake your head like crazy and they'll keep on.

Concerning the 5H, i haven't tried them. The design is great, it's a really good looking pair of cans. the sound quality should be equal to Syberia, perfect for gaming. I haven't tried the 5.1 surround version, but i think that you should stick with the stereo version. I don't know why, but surround sound doesn't makes much sense while gaming. I know, surround sound should mean that you can spot a player easily, but since with my Syberia i can do it perfectly (there have been players calling me a cheater because i can spot players so well, they think i'm using like a pod bot or so), i don't see how possible it is to get better at it, using 5.1 headset.

WARNING, if you're going to buy the Syberia, DON'T, and i mean, DON'T buy the v1. the mic isn't incorporated in the cans structure -.- The v2 has it figured out, just like the 5H, and besides i haven't tried it, i'm pretty sure it will do the job perfectly. Just a thing worth of mentiong, i think the Syberia have the mic extension (yes, they collapse in the structure for when you don't need it) in plastic, and the 5H with metal "rings", kinda like a shower extension LOL

Oh, btw, i'm thinking about modifying my Syberia, trade the pads for a fake leather ones, since the ones that are on it, after almost 2 years of use, have got kinda greasy (yeah, mid/long hair, not a good idea) and it feels a bit uncomfy. That said, the Syberia are perfect for gaming. The 5H too, i think. (i think they have fake leather cushions, so you won't get the same problem i did with the Syb)
Quote:
Hi guys, I have the ATH-M50, and it has a little too much bass for my taste. I think the ATH-M50 is really good for music, but horrible for games. i'm looking for a headphone for 40% games, 40% music, 20% movies and not so much bass. And same audio quality as the M50. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back