++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #3,331 of 29,490

Quote:

First off, do you want open or closed? Secondly, do you want/need portablity? Do they need to be rugged?

Im probably going to be looking for closed, since i will use them in public a lot... but to think about it, the places in public i go arent that noisy so open might work. Portability would be a good thing. And ruggedness... probably not

Apr 22, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #3,332 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm new to this Hi-Fi thing so... what exactly is a headphone amp? i have never heard of these before.

All devices that have an output for headphones has an amplifier--it's what takes the signal and feeds the power into the drivers of the headphones.  Many high quality headphones have demands for power that portable players and computer sound cards simply can't deliver.  This is where dedicated headphone amps come in.  Their only job is to accept a line signal (or digital signal in some cases) from another device (portable or stationary), then feed sufficient power into headphones.

Most headphones benefit somewhat from amping, and a few headphones really need a strong dedicated amp to sound their best.  It all gets a bit more complicated than that, but I think that's a good starting point.

Apr 22, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #3,333 of 29,490

Quote:
Im probably going to be looking for closed, since i will use them in public a lot... but to think about it, the places in public i go arent that noisy so open might work. Portability would be a good thing. And ruggedness... probably not

If you're at all unsure, go with closed.  Open headphones in public leads to sound issues faster than you might think.  Our response is to turn the player up, which can be bad for the ears.  Go closed, protect your long-term hearing.

Apr 22, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #3,334 of 29,490
Hi guys. I'd like to know your opinions about these two headphones.

1. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD595-Open-Headphone-ohms/dp/B0001FTVE0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303480767&sr=8-1
2.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones-Technology/dp/B004FEEY9A

I've been reading through some forums trying to find some advice but haven't found anything since the HD558 are quite new. Also if you have some recommendations in the same price range, I'll be happy to hear them.

Many Thanks.

Apr 22, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #3,336 of 29,490
Alright! Finally got the nerve to make an account and ask.
I'm looking for headphones for 100-200$ I already have grado sr80i's.
But I want something with THUMP without degrading the sound quality since I listen to trance and hardstyle and stuff like that.
I like it when they fully cup my ears. I'm getting sick of these grados that just lay on them lol, and closed isn't required but would be nice for using in public.
Anything anyone could recommend?

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #3,337 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all, I'm looking at the Piaton MS 400 and the Audio Technica ATH-M50, I'd like to know which performs better unamped and secondarily how each might perform powered by an Icon Mobile. I appreciate the input

Both perform well unamped. A little more power brings each up a bit, but not significantly. The M50 is strong is the lows and highs with a relatively weaker mid, good isolation and durability. The MS400 is stronger in the bass and has much better mids (particularly the midbass) but is weaker in the highs, good isolation, smaller, comes with a hard travel case.

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #3,338 of 29,490
Both perform well unamped. A little more power brings each up a bit, but not significantly. The M50 is strong is the lows and highs with a relatively weaker mid, good isolation and durability. The MS400 is stronger in the bass and has much better mids (particularly the midbass) but is weaker in the highs, good isolation, smaller, comes with a hard travel case.

I'd have the MS 400 over the M50, especially is you get the coiled M50.

Do you already own the Mobile? If not I'd suggest the E7 over the Icon...

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #3,339 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys. I'd like to know your opinions about these two headphones.

1. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD595-Open-Headphone-ohms/dp/B0001FTVE0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303480767&sr=8-1
2.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones-Technology/dp/B004FEEY9A

I've been reading through some forums trying to find some advice but haven't found anything since the HD558 are quite new. Also if you have some recommendations in the same price range, I'll be happy to hear them.

Many Thanks.

The 558 should be an update to the 555. The 595 was the higher tier model to the 555 (and now replaced by the 598). Reading up on reviews for those should give you a good general idea.

One of the more popular mods around here was to remove the earpiece foam from the 555 which essentially turned it into the 595 at zero cost.

Quote:
So what are some good closed options?

The HDJ-2000 you mentioned earlier is quite good. There's the ever popular M50, as well as the Shure 840/750, M-Audio Q40, Denon D1100/D1001/D2000, Ultrasone Pro 650/750, Beyer DT770, etc.

Quote:
But I want something with THUMP without degrading the sound quality since I listen to trance and hardstyle and stuff like that.
I like it when they fully cup my ears. I'm getting sick of these grados that just lay on them lol, and closed isn't required but would be nice for using in public.

Big thump... Beyerdynamic DT770. The AKG K181 also have really strong bass and have large earpads with great isolation, but those actually sit on the ear rather than around.

Apr 22, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #3,340 of 29,490

Quote:
Though satisfied with the sennheisers have started my research on IEMs and have found one that I think i'll like. The Hippo series EB/VB/Pearl.
Again opinions/responses appreciated.

hippo is suppose to be quite good.  Read joker's description on it.  Bassy, value for money iems.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568

Quote:
Are there any differences between the HFI 580s and the DJ1's sound?

They are the same soundwise and differs only from the looks and the cords.  HFI 580 has straight cord and DJ1 coiled cord.  

Quote:

Ultrasone HFI 580 / DJ1.  Ultrasone is made for electronica and I would say especially for trance.

Apr 22, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #3,341 of 29,490

Quote:
The 558 should be an update to the 555. The 595 was the higher tier model to the 555 (and now replaced by the 598). Reading up on reviews for those should give you a good general idea.

One of the more popular mods around here was to remove the earpiece foam from the 555 which essentially turned it into the 595 at zero cost.

Thanks for your response. Recently I found a pretty good deal for HD598's on eBay for 110£, so since the 595's are kinda old I'm deciding between HD558's from Amazon and HD598's from "just some guy on eBay" .... Forgot to mention that I mostly listen to Rock, Indie and Classical music. I'd be glad to hear some other recommendations and advices.

Thanks.

Apr 22, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #3,342 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:
I'd have the MS 400 over the M50, especially is you get the coiled M50.

Do you already own the Mobile? If not I'd suggest the E7 over the Icon...

Quote:
I've never heard the MS 400 but the M50 is in my opinion goes very well unamped and benefits from many mods.

Thanks, my concerns are settled.
I do own the Mobile, it was a nice little bargain 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back