++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 13, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #3,106 of 29,490

Quote:

The large Audio Technicas are fantastic for vocals and acoustics and also highly regarded for gaming. The AD700 and A700 are the entry line (open and closed respectively), the AD2000 is generally considered king of the hill for female vocals (you can find it for around $400 used) in the open side, and the W1000 for the closed side can be found within your budget as well.

Thanks for the reply! The ATH A700 looks very nice. Anything between the entry level A700's and AD2000? I wouldn't want to buy used.

Thank you

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #3,107 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! The ATH A700 looks very nice. Anything between the entry level A700's and AD2000? I wouldn't want to buy used.

Thank you

Well there's the A900/AD900, and the AD1000. These ones don't get as much attention as people tend to go either for the budget line or jump to the top. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #3,108 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:
I've been looking for some headphones that will fit my needs. I couldn't really find what I wanted based off of other recommendations and reviews so I'm going to just ask you all directly for some help.

I enjoy listening to a pretty wide range of music which includes those such as:

Rock, Acoustic, Classical, Older HipHop, Underground HipHop, Pop, House, Jazz, Soul, RnB, Dubstep, Reggae, Instrumental, Big Band, Disco, etc.

Basically if possible I'm looking for a set of headphones that could cater to many genres. If I have to be specific then a headphone that can handle rock, hiphop, funk and jazz well but if possible something that can satisfy a wide range of music. I'm looking for something with a lot of clarity and that is pretty warm with crisp highs sort of like the Grado SR80's, but maybe not as sharp, full mids, and an accurate bass that hits hard when it does hit and can also go deep on the low end only when needed. I'm not exactly looking for bass like that in the M50's which feel more like they are everywhere and masks the treble a bit. My budget is probably at $300, but I'd like to pay less if possible unless there is absolutely something perfect for me at a little bit higher price.

Also i'd probably be going ampless with these headphones until later and I'll be running it through my Macbook, and other portable devices like LG EnV Touch, and PSP. Thanks.

A few suggestions (all are good performers and do not need an amp):

Grado SR225 - great mids and clarity, good soundstage, no isolation whatsoever

Beyerdynamic T50p - snazzy portable, nice engaging sound, fit is a bit funny which makes it tricky to get a good seal

Sennheiser HD595/598 - strong all rounder

Phiaton MS300 - punchy and crisp, small portable

The Grado sr225 and Sennhesier HD598 look good. MS300 seems to be too sharp from what I hear. Although I love clarity and crisp highs I don't want it to be overpowering, nor a bit boring like M50s. 

What about MS1 or MS2 compared to SR225 and HD598? Also are there any closed headphones that can match my previous description? D2000s?

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #3,111 of 29,490

Quote:
Alright guys. I just spent about 6 hours in a very loud place (First night of NIOSA in San Antonio, Texas) listening to my awful 3 year old (left ear blown) Sony EARBUDS.

It was by about hour 2 that I realized now matter how much I dislike it, and no matter how many portable cans I own, I will eventually find a time where I need some IEMs. So...Recommend me some

I had some RE0 IEMs before, and they sounded great for about 2 hours...and then they broke. That has scared me off IEMs ever since. I listen to mainly Electronic music, so Bass is very important (especially impact). Don't get too crazy with it, but I'd say budget isn't too shabby either. A few hundred maybe?

Anyway, suggest away. Thanks.

Oh, and if they need an amp, tell me. I've got an Arrow (in the mail) so I'm not worried about powering them, but it's always nice to know how much power I need.

If you look on Joker's IEM thread, the bassy cheapo headphones are the Brainwavz series which is what I am looking to get.  My brother who is into techno/house swears by this Triple Fi 10... so do most of my techno clubbing mates as well.  It has more detailed high than my DJ1s which made some of the Simon Baker stuff sound a bit more awesome.  

Quote:
Thanks,  after more research, if think i have come with 3 :
- Denon AH-100
- Ultrason HFI-580
- Denon 1001

What do you think, the AH-100 and 580 seems well balanced from what i read, with stil ther but not too over bassy ?
Damn to much headphones to choose...

If you want to get the 1001, the cheaper version is Creative Aurvana Live! which has the same driver.

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #3,112 of 29,490
Hi everyone.

I'm looking for suggestions on what headphones I should get. I bought my Audio Technica ATH-AD700's a few years ago and have really liked them, but I damaged them by accident and am looking for a new pair. My budget is $100-$300, preferably about $200 though.

I'll be using them in public a lot, so insulation from sound would be kind of nice, but I will also be using them in a quiet study area at my university so I can't have lots of sound leaking. My AD700's might be too loud to use in there, but I've never tried..

I listen to a lot of female artists, but not extremely rocky (I hate hard-metal music and so forth..). I also listen to a lot of classical music, instrumental, and soundtracks (like orchestras..).

I've really enjoyed my AD700's but need to get a new set of headphones, so I would welcome any suggestions you might have.

Thanks!

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #3,115 of 29,490
Apr 13, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #3,120 of 29,490

Quote:
The Grado sr225 and Sennhesier HD598 look good. MS300 seems to be too sharp from what I hear. Although I love clarity and crisp highs I don't want it to be overpowering, nor a bit boring like M50s. 

What about MS1 or MS2 compared to SR225 and HD598? Also are there any closed headphones that can match my previous description? D2000s?

I'm not sure where you heard the MS300 is "too sharp". It is perhaps the sharpest of the Phiaton family (the PS500 is also sharp but in a different way), but the brand has a rather deep and warm sound, so "sharp" in that context is still middle of the road. The MS300 has a great clarity and detail and grado-like energy but without being quite as sharp.

I would rate the MS1 somewhere between the SR80 and 125 and have not heard differences between the "i" version. The MS2 is the Alessandro version of the 325 which is the most love/hate can in the Grado family due to it's metallic characteristics (both in construction and sound), so it's one of those that you really have to hear to decide if you want it.

The 598 I haven't heard, but all the large open Sennheisers have a fairly similar house sound and I consider the brand one of the best suited for general listening across all genres unless you want really heavy bass.

Closed headphones typically have a U-shaped frequency response, moreso on the bass end. The D2000 has reasonably strong bass but is actually rather flat in response. I would consider it one of the more balanced closed cans. I also highly recommend getting the JMoney leather earpad upgrade which improves comfort, isolation and bass response. Another nice closed can is the Senn PX200-ii. Small and portable, surprisingly controlled bottom end, good isolation and general response.

Quote:
so...the headphone version of the triple.fi....anybody?

Try asking in the portables forum, and/or ask in Joker's huge iem comparison thread. You can probably get more focused responses there.

Quote:

How does the A700 compare to the Sennheiser PC360 for my needs? . I understand these are basically a HD595 with a mic?

Thank you

Check the first post of this thread for a link to a gaming headphone review which should have all the info you need.

Quote:
Hi everyone.

I'm looking for suggestions on what headphones I should get. I bought my Audio Technica ATH-AD700's a few years ago and have really liked them, but I damaged them by accident and am looking for a new pair. My budget is $100-$300, preferably about $200 though.

I'll be using them in public a lot, so insulation from sound would be kind of nice, but I will also be using them in a quiet study area at my university so I can't have lots of sound leaking. My AD700's might be too loud to use in there, but I've never tried..

I listen to a lot of female artists, but not extremely rocky (I hate hard-metal music and so forth..). I also listen to a lot of classical music, instrumental, and soundtracks (like orchestras..).

I've really enjoyed my AD700's but need to get a new set of headphones, so I would welcome any suggestions you might have.

Thanks!

Within the same family, I really liked the ESW9a. It retains that light signature of the full sized Audio Technicas, but adds a nice bit of warmth and resonance. They are also quite comfortable and portable, but only moderate at isolation (still better than the AD700 though).

Quote:
Im looking for headphones that have good sound when playing rap dance and electro. Must have good bass miss lows and treble. I don't care how big they are. Must be under 1000$

Some suggestions to start you off. These all have big bass and cover a wide range of brands...
AKG K450/Q460
Sony XB500/700/1000
Beyerdynamic DT770
Phiaton MS400
M-Audio Q40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back