++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 12, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #3,091 of 29,490

Quote:

Audio Technica M50s fit your request. They are balanced (just that perfect amount of bass thump), closed, stylish
biggrin.gif
, and very durable, although because of this they're a bit bulkier than most portable headphones. I personally feel comfortable bringing them anywhere, driving them with a Fiio E5 using Line Out form a Classic and just love the sound.

They can be had for less than 120 USD nowadays.

Ooh, that was quick. Thanks.
Reading reviews, they look really nice. I'm just worried about one thing: It says the impedance is 38 Ω, while my player says it's output supports only 16 Ω.

I don't really know what that means, though. I'll look it up, but is this something i should worry about?

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #3,092 of 29,490

Quote:
Ah, okay. Here i am, first post i think.
Hi, my name's andrew, and yes, i'm looking for headphones :)
So... yeah.

I have a Cowon J3 (unamped), i listen to a wide variety of music. Classical, rock, folk, etc.
I'm hoping to get some circumaural headphones that are priced between $150 and $200 (or less, obviously). They would have to be closed, because i often listen to music in loud environments (in a loud vehicle, with a vacuum cleaner in the room, occasionally on a plane). I need them to be fairly durable, too, i'll take them on the road often and hope they'll last several years.

I'd like the sound to be... i guess the term would be "balanced" (or maybe "level"), my J3 has good equaliser and sound customization, so i don't need cans that blast a ton of bass or anything. I'd say just even volume along all frequencies, but i'm no audiophile, so i'm not positive that would be a good idea. Would it?

I'm in no hurry to buy, though, so if you think i should wait for another model to come out, or a time when it might be on sale or something, i can wait.
In case you'd like to know, these:http://www.head-fi.org/products/panasonic-rp-ht722-monitor-headphones-with-built-in-surround-control are my current headphones.
I find them comfortable, but a little heavy. The sound is nothing terribly impressive, in fact i had to remove the circuitboard inside and solder the cable straight to the speakers because of left/right balance problems :)

Anyway, thanks in advance, if there's anything else you need to know, just ask.

consider the shure srh840. they can be had for anywhere between $130 and $200. they are my current headphones and i love them.

they are often considered very balanced and they still have ok bass. they sound phenomenal with rock and classical and folk.

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #3,093 of 29,490

Quote:
If all you want is bass quantity, there are probably lots of choices.  For bass QUALITY, you could do a lot worse than the Ultrasone HFI-780.  It has nice, deep, punchy bass that would work really well with rap.  Some people like the 580 even more, and it's even cheaper.

If you want tons of bass combined with a pretty slick package, you could also check out the AIAIAI TMA-1, which has tons and tons of bass.

Quote:

try the shure srh750dj. very good bass and would sound perfect for rap.

Thanks for your comments, after read srh750dj reviews, its seems to be REALLY bassy, i dont think i want something too bassy even though i want good bass, i also like to hear mid tons well. I dont want the bass to be overpowered either. Is there any hp than do that ?
The denon D1001 or 1100 seems to be good. Does anybody have experience with those ?

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #3,095 of 29,490
Alright guys. I just spent about 6 hours in a very loud place (First night of NIOSA in San Antonio, Texas) listening to my awful 3 year old (left ear blown) Sony EARBUDS.

It was by about hour 2 that I realized now matter how much I dislike it, and no matter how many portable cans I own, I will eventually find a time where I need some IEMs. So...Recommend me some

I had some RE0 IEMs before, and they sounded great for about 2 hours...and then they broke. That has scared me off IEMs ever since. I listen to mainly Electronic music, so Bass is very important (especially impact). Don't get too crazy with it, but I'd say budget isn't too shabby either. A few hundred maybe?

Anyway, suggest away. Thanks.

Oh, and if they need an amp, tell me. I've got an Arrow (in the mail) so I'm not worried about powering them, but it's always nice to know how much power I need.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #3,096 of 29,490

Quote:
Alright guys. I just spent about 6 hours in a very loud place (First night of NIOSA in San Antonio, Texas) listening to my awful 3 year old (left ear blown) Sony EARBUDS.

It was by about hour 2 that I realized now matter how much I dislike it, and no matter how many portable cans I own, I will eventually find a time where I need some IEMs. So...Recommend me some

I had some RE0 IEMs before, and they sounded great for about 2 hours...and then they broke. That has scared me off IEMs ever since. I listen to mainly Electronic music, so Bass is very important (especially impact). Don't get too crazy with it, but I'd say budget isn't too shabby either. A few hundred maybe?

Anyway, suggest away. Thanks.

Oh, and if they need an amp, tell me. I've got an Arrow (in the mail) so I'm not worried about powering them, but it's always nice to know how much power I need.

i haven't tried them yet but the shure se215 is getting incredible reviews for the $99 price tag. i am actually looking into trying a pair myself. from what i understand they have good bass response. if you want to learn more go to the se215 thread that's where i got my information. the people there have actually tried them so they can help you more.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #3,097 of 29,490

Quote:
I have tried the D1001 for a short while.  Wasn't impressed at all.  If you search on here D1100 ain't all that either.

Thanks,  after more research, if think i have come with 3 :
- Denon AH-100
- Ultrason HFI-580
- Denon 1001

What do you think, the AH-100 and 580 seems well balanced from what i read, with stil ther but not too over bassy ?
Damn to much headphones to choose...

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #3,098 of 29,490
Think I found my cans.

Its been awhile, I've been thinking, and I believe I found the cans I'm gonna get.
I have a few questions before I buy them though.

Audio-Technica ATH-M30 ($42 off amazon. Budget is $60)

From what I've read, these are good, solid cans for the price.

Questions:

1. Do these cans have any punch? I'm not a basshead. I just enjoy some bass when its supposed to be there.
I've read they have just the right amount, but I would like to confirm it.

2. Audio-Technica Warranty. From what I understand its a basic one year limited warranty? Please confirm.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #3,099 of 29,490

Quote:
Think I found my cans.

Its been awhile, I've been thinking, and I believe I found the cans I'm gonna get.
I have a few questions before I buy them though.

Audio-Technica ATH-M30 ($42 off amazon. Budget is $60)

From what I've read, these are good, solid cans for the price.

Questions:

1. Do these cans have any punch? I'm not a basshead. I just enjoy some bass when its supposed to be there.

2. Audio-Technica Warranty. From what I understand its a basic one year limited warranty? Please confirm.

my local college had those so i got to try them and they are not bad for that price. the mids are recessed though and the highs are a little laid back. but you can tell they have an emphesis on bass and because of this they sound a little muddy. but for that price i think you can't go wrong.

i don't know about teh warranty though as they weren't my cans but i am pretty sure they would have a decent warranty considering their presence in the music industry.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #3,100 of 29,490
my local college had those so i got to try them and they are not bad for that price. the mids are recessed though and the highs are a little laid back. but you can tell they have an emphesis on bass and because of this they sound a little muddy. but for that price i think you can't go wrong.

i don't know about teh warranty though as they weren't my cans but i am pretty sure they would have a decent warranty considering their presence in the music industry.

Thanks!

Sounds just right for me and my price :)

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #3,101 of 29,490
I've been looking for some headphones that will fit my needs. I couldn't really find what I wanted based off of other recommendations and reviews so I'm going to just ask you all directly for some help.

I enjoy listening to a pretty wide range of music which includes those such as:
Rock, Acoustic, Classical, Older HipHop, Underground HipHop, Pop, House, Jazz, Soul, RnB, Dubstep, Reggae, Instrumental, Big Band, Disco, etc.

Basically if possible I'm looking for a set of headphones that could cater to many genres. If I have to be specific then a headphone that can handle rock, hiphop, funk and jazz well but if possible something that can satisfy a wide range of music. I'm looking for something with a lot of clarity and that is pretty warm with crisp highs sort of like the Grado SR80's, but maybe not as sharp, full mids, and an accurate bass that hits hard when it does hit and can also go deep on the low end only when needed. I'm not exactly looking for bass like that in the M50's which feel more like they are everywhere and masks the treble a bit. My budget is probably at $300, but I'd like to pay less if possible unless there is absolutely something perfect for me at a little bit higher price.

Also i'd probably be going ampless with these headphones until later and I'll be running it through my Macbook, and other portable devices like LG EnV Touch, and PSP. Thanks.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #3,102 of 29,490
Just saw the M30s have a impedance of 65Ω

I think anything below below 100Ω should still work on my portables. Can anyone with similar impedance 'phones confirm?
Wondering if I need an amp.

EDIT: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/541457/ath-m50-sansa-clip-silent answered my question.

Thanks to all head-fi members that helped me. Sorry I'm so indecisive :p
Going to order them tomorrow.

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #3,103 of 29,490

Budget - $300 - $500 ( lower the better )
Mainly listen to female voice heavy stuff. Vocal trance. Lots of trance and Guitar stuff. I dont want it to be bass heavy though. I would also use this for heavy gaming as well and so, good soundstage is important as well! What would you guys recommend me?

Thank you

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #3,104 of 29,490
Hi head-fiers, I'm looking for a headphone with this criteria:

Good for rock, hard rock and metal, but also for things like Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel.
Good without amp
Warm and balanced sound
Foldable or anyways easily portable

I was thinking about these cans:
Audio technica M50
Audio technica ESW9A
Sennheiser HD-25-1-II (maybe the adidas version cause I like the look)

Which of these 3 is the one that fits more my criteria? If you know something that's better than these you're welcome !

Thanks in advance and sorry if my english isn't perfect, it's not my first language

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #3,105 of 29,490

Quote:
I've been looking for some headphones that will fit my needs. I couldn't really find what I wanted based off of other recommendations and reviews so I'm going to just ask you all directly for some help.

I enjoy listening to a pretty wide range of music which includes those such as:
Rock, Acoustic, Classical, Older HipHop, Underground HipHop, Pop, House, Jazz, Soul, RnB, Dubstep, Reggae, Instrumental, Big Band, Disco, etc.

Basically if possible I'm looking for a set of headphones that could cater to many genres. If I have to be specific then a headphone that can handle rock, hiphop, funk and jazz well but if possible something that can satisfy a wide range of music. I'm looking for something with a lot of clarity and that is pretty warm with crisp highs sort of like the Grado SR80's, but maybe not as sharp, full mids, and an accurate bass that hits hard when it does hit and can also go deep on the low end only when needed. I'm not exactly looking for bass like that in the M50's which feel more like they are everywhere and masks the treble a bit. My budget is probably at $300, but I'd like to pay less if possible unless there is absolutely something perfect for me at a little bit higher price.

Also i'd probably be going ampless with these headphones until later and I'll be running it through my Macbook, and other portable devices like LG EnV Touch, and PSP. Thanks.

A few suggestions (all are good performers and do not need an amp):
Grado SR225 - great mids and clarity, good soundstage, no isolation whatsoever
Beyerdynamic T50p - snazzy portable, nice engaging sound, fit is a bit funny which makes it tricky to get a good seal
Sennheiser HD595/598 - strong all rounder
Phiaton MS300 - punchy and crisp, small portable

Quote:
Budget - $300 - $500 ( lower the better )
Mainly listen to female voice heavy stuff. Vocal trance. Lots of trance and Guitar stuff. I dont want it to be bass heavy though. I would also use this for heavy gaming as well and so, good soundstage is important as well! What would you guys recommend me?

Thank you

The large Audio Technicas are fantastic for vocals and acoustics and also highly regarded for gaming. The AD700 and A700 are the entry line (open and closed respectively), the AD2000 is generally considered king of the hill for female vocals (you can find it for around $400 used) in the open side, and the W1000 for the closed side can be found within your budget as well.

Quote:
Hi head-fiers, I'm looking for a headphone with this criteria:

Good for rock, hard rock and metal, but also for things like Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel.
Good without amp
Warm and balanced sound
Foldable or anyways easily portable

I was thinking about these cans:
Audio technica M50
Audio technica ESW9A
Sennheiser HD-25-1-II (maybe the adidas version cause I like the look)

Which of these 3 is the one that fits more my criteria? If you know something that's better than these you're welcome !

Thanks in advance and sorry if my english isn't perfect, it's not my first language

I personally liked the ESW9a the most of those three, but I would say the HD25-1-ii best fits your criteria.

The ESW9a is the warmest sounding, great for the "light rock" genres, but is also the most fragile and least isolating. The HD25-1-ii is a bit on the cooler side but is punchy and articulate and I feel it does better for the hard rock and metal. It's also built like a tank, has excellent isolation, but doesn't fold up in any way. The M50 has a U-shaped frequency response like the HD25 but feels a bit more spiked in some spots. It folds up into a compact form factor and has decent isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back