++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 3, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #2,716 of 29,490
Trying to buy Denons now is ridiculous. I can't believe that they D7000 is at $1000 now...I'm so disappointed I didn't look more into Denons when they were still in production.

EDIT: I'm not exactly sure what the price range used to be before, but I've heard stories like this of people getting them for $400 from Amazon and I just want to cry at the current price, and the fact I will have to to shell out that much if I want them.
Quote:
Hey all, I'm looking for some system recommendations that fit my tastes.
My budget is max $1,000.

I already have a dac (Nuforce uDac2) but if you guys think I should upgrade that if I'm headed into this price range let me know!

I listen to mainly alternative and classic rock with plenty of pop, rap, and house mixed in.
I favor soundstage and punchy atriculate bass most but also looking for a largly neutral if not warm mid range and highs.

I used to have a denon d5000 / matrix m-stage combo for a while and really liked it but with the d5000s going for $700 on amazon now when i bought them for $400 new on amazon months ago I can't justify the purchase.

If you guys can think of any headphone/amp combos that you think I would like please let me know!

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #2,717 of 29,490
Since they don't have the 900 on hand, I went to try the 700/1000 again just now. There is a definite difference in clarity between the two. The lower notes on the 700 (to me) sound much more muddled and the separation isn't anywhere near as good as the 1000. I don't usually listen to stuff with insane bass (I used the dubstep example from one of the reviews I read), but I definitely understand now when people say that it feels a bit on the light side. I do however think the current level of bass is sufficient for my listening habits though.

Going to have to look around again next week to see if I can find places that don't inflate the prices for amps. Guess this will make my STX redundant T_T

Quote:
Is there anyway you can get to a store and demo some cans for yourself?  It does make a real difference - and then at least you can make the final informed decision.  From reviews I originally read, a lot of people said the AD-700 bass was weak.  I find it OK.  With EQ/boost, it is great.

IMO the AD-900 weren't worth it over the AD-700.  But that is just my opinion.  If you looking for clarity - plus some nice bass - try maybe some closed sets.  I have the SRH840's as well, and I am loving them for all-rounders.  The bass is more than the AD-700's, but they don't have the same sound stage (not as wide/deep).  I got mine for $129 in the US - a steal for the quality!  I also demo'd the Denon 2K's.  I'd imagine for Dub, they would be well worth considering.  Very clear, great bass.

I still think it might be worth going entry point amp/dac + AD700 though - then you can branch out from there.  There is no point spending a lot at first if you don't need to - then you can decide the sound signature you like.

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #2,718 of 29,490

Quote:

*shrug* it's your money. It's either shoot for middle ground first or start low and save the rest for the bigger jump later.

There's the AKG K450 or Q460, and the larger K181 which is the "big brother" to the K518 (aka the K81) which sounds pretty much the same but "better". For your genres I also like the M-Audio Q40 which has a fantastic bass to it.

Yeah, I was considering the K450's. They are the right size and they'd be good for traveling. Do they sound somewhat similar to the K518's? 

I was also considering the Pioneer HDJ-500 and Xone XD-40. The reviews for the latter are pretty good, and a lot has reviewed them, too. Will look into the M-Audio's, too. 

Thanks! 

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #2,719 of 29,490

Quote:
Yeah, I've already bought the ESW9s, but I want to get a new set for home too.The Sextetts are probably out of my price range (I'm assuming), but I'll definitely look into AKG in general, and the others you suggested. Thanks!

Sextetts can range anywhere from $80 to $200 depending on condition/age and mods.

Quote:
My budget is max $1,000.

I already have a dac (Nuforce uDac2) but if you guys think I should upgrade that if I'm headed into this price range let me know!

I listen to mainly alternative and classic rock with plenty of pop, rap, and house mixed in.
I favor soundstage and punchy atriculate bass most but also looking for a largly neutral if not warm mid range and highs.

I used to have a denon d5000 / matrix m-stage combo for a while and really liked it but with the d5000s going for $700 on amazon now when i bought them for $400 new on amazon months ago I can't justify the purchase.

If you guys can think of any headphone/amp combos that you think I would like please let me know!

Do you want open or closed? Random suggestions: Grado RS1/Alessandro MSPro, Ultrasone Pro 900

Quote:
Since they don't have the 900 on hand, I went to try the 700/1000 again just now. There is a definite difference in clarity between the two. The lower notes on the 700 (to me) sound much more muddled and the separation isn't anywhere near as good as the 1000. I don't usually listen to stuff with insane bass (I used the dubstep example from one of the reviews I read), but I definitely understand now when people say that it feels a bit on the light side. I do however think the current level of bass is sufficient for my listening habits though.

Going to have to look around again next week to see if I can find places that don't inflate the prices for amps. Guess this will make my STX redundant T_T

Have you tried any of the closed models?

Quote:

Yeah, I was considering the K450's. They are the right size and they'd be good for traveling. Do they sound somewhat similar to the K518's? 

I was also considering the Pioneer HDJ-500 and Xone XD-40. The reviews for the latter are pretty good, and a lot has reviewed them, too. Will look into the M-Audio's, too. 

Thanks! 

I haven't tried the K450, but my experience with the closed portable AKGs has been they've all been somewhat similar. You could ask Joker about the Q460 since he's heard both that and the K81 (the same as the K518).

The M-Audio, while portable, is not as convenient as the tiny K450/Q460.

Apr 3, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #2,721 of 29,490
Apr 3, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #2,724 of 29,490
I am new to here and I looking for headphones for about $300 for listing to rock/metal and a little bit of hip -hop that can be used around campus.[size=11pt]Originally [/size] I wanted to get Akgs K271 MK IIs but  after reading some reviews people found the bass weak for metal. So then i thought of getting Grados but I heard they do not have very good isolation and dont have very good build [size=11pt]quality [/size]. Also I am planing to drive my headphones by a Schiit lyr at home and a iBasso D2+boa when im at school.(IF that makes any difference) So can anyone suggest a closed headphone that is good for rock and is portable?

PS size really dose not bother me that much because they will always be on my head

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #2,725 of 29,490

Quote:
My budget is max $1,000.

I much prefer RS-1 & HD600 to D5000 & D7000 for rock, pop, rap & electronica.  RS-1 have punchy bass & great mid range and somewhat strong (not warm) treble.  But not much soundstage.  HD600 have everything you are looking for except for punchy bass.  With powerful & neutral amps the bass and treble extension improve, but are never as exciting as RS-1.  Your udac will be ok for RS-1 (the dac has a warm sound that I think complements Grados very well), but the amp section will not have enough voltage to firm up HD600s soft sound & they'll do much better with a more neutral dac imo.  But they're so cheap that you could get them, a new dac & amp for the same price as RS-1.  Other headphones might work too (DT880-600?) but those are the first that come to mind.

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #2,726 of 29,490
Looking for some advice.  I am impressed with the knowledge here.  I have searched but not found what I am looking for.  I am not sure that my ears are sophisticated enough to hear the differences you all describe.  My focus is a little different.  I am looking for a very comfortable headphone that will block outside noise.  I tend to go to be very early, but my wife will stay up later watching tv.  I want a pair that I can put on with music very low and fall asleep with on.  I was ready to buy a pair of Bose, when I found this site and they do not seem to get much love here.  I don't need to spend a bunch of money buying the best sounding headphones, but I will spend what I need to get the features I have described.  I was willing to shell out the 300 or so for the Bose, but I would not complain if I spent less.  I will spend more if needed.  I listen to all types of music, it will be mostly classic rock and easy listening when I am using the headphones.  I will be using an ipod or my evo phone without any amplification.

Thanks for your input.

Jim

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #2,727 of 29,490
I'm seeing fantastic reviews on the JVC HA-RX700.

Some reviewers said that it doesn't leak much sound while others say the opposite.

What's your take on this? I can't afford to be waking up my roommates, they will kill me.

Also, how does it compare to the following "cheap" headphones, in terms of sound and isolation:

Sennheiser HD201
Sony MDR-XD200
Audio-Technica ATH-M30

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #2,728 of 29,490
Hey guys, I've been researching a whole lot of different of cheapish closed headphones lately but I've just been going around in circles between them. I think it will be easiest if I just list the ones I'm looking at and hope for some good advice.

Roland rh-200
Sony MDR 7506
Audio Technica: ATH-ES7
Audio Technica: ATH-AD700
Shure: SRH440 
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Equation Audio RP-21

So I listen to mainly rock and electronic music and I'll be playing it through my computer and Ipod Touch unamped. I also need minimal leakage from them as I'm going to be tracking vocals and guitars with them. Any thoughts on any of the above or ones I should be researching instead would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #2,729 of 29,490

Quote:
I am new to here and I looking for headphones for about $300 for listing to rock/metal and a little bit of hip -hop that can be used around campus.[size=11pt]Originally [/size] I wanted to get Akgs K271 MK IIs but  after reading some reviews people found the bass weak for metal. So then i thought of getting Grados but I heard they do not have very good isolation and dont have very good build [size=11pt]quality [/size]. Also I am planing to drive my headphones by a Schiit lyr at home and a iBasso D2+boa when im at school.(IF that makes any difference) So can anyone suggest a closed headphone that is good for rock and is portable?

PS size really dose not bother me that much because they will always be on my head

Ultrasone Pro650
Shure 840/750
Audio Technica M50
Denon D1100

These are all relatively easy to drive and have decent isolation. For your genres, I would say the Ultrasone.

Quote:
Looking for some advice.  I am impressed with the knowledge here.  I have searched but not found what I am looking for.  I am not sure that my ears are sophisticated enough to hear the differences you all describe.  My focus is a little different.  I am looking for a very comfortable headphone that will block outside noise.  I tend to go to be very early, but my wife will stay up later watching tv.  I want a pair that I can put on with music very low and fall asleep with on.  I was ready to buy a pair of Bose, when I found this site and they do not seem to get much love here.  I don't need to spend a bunch of money buying the best sounding headphones, but I will spend what I need to get the features I have described.  I was willing to shell out the 300 or so for the Bose, but I would not complain if I spent less.  I will spend more if needed.  I listen to all types of music, it will be mostly classic rock and easy listening when I am using the headphones.  I will be using an ipod or my evo phone without any amplification.

Thanks for your input.

Jim

For isolation and sleeping, you will be better served with iems. Headphones are not the most comfortable thing for falling asleep with unless you get a smaller set or have a thin pillow. Active noise canceling will also run you through batteries very quickly if you leave them on overnight, so I would suggest passive isolation.

Sennheiser HD280 is king of isolation, but might still be a bit big. The HD25-1-ii are smaller, but they are supraaural and might not be comfortable enough for sleeping (depends on the person; some find it super comfy)

Quote:
I'm seeing fantastic reviews on the JVC HA-RX700.

Some reviewers said that it doesn't leak much sound while others say the opposite.

What's your take on this? I can't afford to be waking up my roommates, they will kill me.

Also, how does it compare to the following "cheap" headphones, in terms of sound and isolation:

Sennheiser HD201
Sony MDR-XD200
Audio-Technica ATH-M30

Leakage/isolation is dependant on how well they seal, so it depends on how the pads fit and comform to your head. Generally, headphones with more axes for positioning will offer a better fit and seal.

For the headphones on your list, they are fairly common in most retail and music stores. Your best bet is to head to the nearest stores and try them out.

Quote:
Hey guys, I've been researching a whole lot of different of cheapish closed headphones lately but I've just been going around in circles between them. I think it will be easiest if I just list the ones I'm looking at and hope for some good advice.

Roland rh-200
Sony MDR 7506
Audio Technica: ATH-ES7
Audio Technica: ATH-AD700
Shure: SRH440 
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Equation Audio RP-21

So I listen to mainly rock and electronic music and I'll be playing it through my computer and Ipod Touch unamped. I also need minimal leakage from them as I'm going to be tracking vocals and guitars with them. Any thoughts on any of the above or ones I should be researching instead would be greatly appreciated.

I have heard or owned the: 7506/V6, ES7, AD700, SRH440, HD280...

Let's take the AD700 out since it's open and leaks quite a bit. The rest are relatively flat in their frequency response, the HD280 and 7506 particularly so. In terms of isolation, the 280 are best, followed by the 440, 7506, and ES7 last.

For overall sound I felt the 280 were more neutral while the 7506 was more crisp.

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #2,730 of 29,490
Unfortunately, they don't have any of the closed models on hand. I'm actually quite happy with the sound from the AD-1000, I just really wish I could try the 900 for a comparison. I think the 700 sounds similar enough to my current SRH440's that it probably isn't worth the purchase simply for the comfort factor. Had I not picked up the 440's I think I would have jumped on the 700's already. The other problem though, is that I don't know if the improvement from AD-700 to AD-1000 is worth the 3x price tag ; ;

Also, Brooko suggested picking up an e7 to supplement potential upgrades down the road, and I'm wondering if it is really necessary. The portability factor is moot to me as I've never had the desire to bring my headphones out. In addition, it seems that the ST/STX sounds better than the e7 as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back