++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 21, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #2,371 of 29,490
Quote:
I am buying a 32 version of the DT770. Is this better or worse than a 80 or even 250 version? I also only have a motherboard soundcard, but you suggest I get a Soundcard or AMP? In that case, wich one? I have also concidered other headsets but I hear this one is best for PC useage in this priority Music;TV/Movies;Strategy Games;FPS games?

Quote:
The matter of sound quality between the various 32/80/260/600 versions is debated on these forums an honestly not something to worry about. For your purposes, since you're using an onboard soundcard the 32 ohm is the best bet as it will be the easiest to drive and bring to reasonably loud levels.

If you have an extra $100, a combo dac/amp like the Nuforce uDac2 or HotAudio DacDestroyer are excellent little units. But if you don't have the budget for it, don't worry about it. It'll sound just fine coming our of your computer.

Its hard to say which version to get since Beyer makes slight revisions to their models all the time and doesn't tell anybody.  The most consistent differences seem to be between the Premium and Pro versions and among the ones I've heard I like the premium versions better and even the 250 is likely to be fine from an onboard.sound card.

If your current sound card doesn't have some some sort of headphone virtualizer or just has a crappy one I'd recommend a sound card with that feature over an external DAC/amp.  The gain you'll get when when listening to 5.1/7.1 sources will outweigh the small advantage you'll get from even top quality DAC when listening to plain stereo music.

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #2,372 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the review. It meets all of my qualifications, but here is the burning question for me:

Do you feel that the $200 bump-up was justified on the cans? Part of me is saying "Why spend the money if they sound so similar?"

You're asking the wrong people 
biggrin.gif
  Comparing set of D5000 to D7000 that cost almost 2x the price, or HF-1 to RS-1, etc. there are improvements that would be described by most as subtle.  No rational person should spring for that difference.  But for me they are worth every penny 

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #2,373 of 29,490

Quote:
The best I can think of would either be a higher end Grado or maybe the AKG K701. The K701 you can buy used within your budget, though are generally considered on the cooler side, and it typically wants an amp but will be ok going through a home theatre receiver.

The next step up for Grados within your budget would maybe be the 225, but I would recommend going one more step up to the HF2 which I feel are a little warmer than usual Grados (you can also look into the Alessandros). Or possibly look into modding the SR60; there's a huge thread on modding here, though the first page has everything you need for basic mods and is fairly easy to do. I've done two of them myself.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely look into the K701, but I'm trying to get away from the Grado sound just a bit sound for my next headphones.  I'll also look in to some basic mods for the SR60.  Again, thank you for the help!

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #2,374 of 29,490
Thank you for replying.  Unfortunately, I've searched for a few hours cumulatively everywhere I know to look, and haven't come up with anything.  I'll keep trying, though.  Perhaps I'll just pick up the other parts & pieces to enjoy while I figure out the mic.

Quote:

I'm sure there are mics that have a mute control on them. Just have to shop around. Worst case just keep the mixamp nearby and you can unplug as necessary.

For gaming, the Audio Technica ATH A700 or AD700 are very popular (or the 900 series which are a step up).

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #2,375 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely look into the K701, but I'm trying to get away from the Grado sound just a bit sound for my next headphones.  I'll also look in to some basic mods for the SR60.  Again, thank you for the help!

My other usual recommendation for a grado-like sound but closed is an Ultrasone, which have a love-hate relationship for many due to the way s-logic works. Maybe give one of those a listen and see if you like it.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #2,376 of 29,490

Quote:
My other usual recommendation for a grado-like sound but closed is an Ultrasone, which have a love-hate relationship for many due to the way s-logic works. Maybe give one of those a listen and see if you like it.

Ok. I'll keep Ultrasone in mind too.
What do you know about the Shure SRH840?  They're not described as grado-like whatsoever, but I've read that they have a great midrange which is really what I'm looking for.

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #2,378 of 29,490

Quote:

Ok. I'll keep Ultrasone in mind too.
What do you know about the Shure SRH840?  They're not described as grado-like whatsoever, but I've read that they have a great midrange which is really what I'm looking for.

Quote:
The SRH840 has good mids. The overall sound signature is slightly tilted towards lower mids and bass. Slightly, that is.

I owned the 840 for a while and reluctantly parted with them. I really enjoyed their sound, but just couldn't get them to sit comfortably on my head. They do indeed have nice mids and midbass, with a smoother and very relaxed (almost too much) presentation.

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #2,380 of 29,490

Quote:
The matter of sound quality between the various 32/80/260/600 versions is debated on these forums an honestly not something to worry about. For your purposes, since you're using an onboard soundcard the 32 ohm is the best bet as it will be the easiest to drive and bring to reasonably loud levels.

If you have an extra $100, a combo dac/amp like the Nuforce uDac2 or HotAudio DacDestroyer are excellent little units. But if you don't have the budget for it, don't worry about it. It'll sound just fine coming our of your computer.

Does Ohm realy have this little impact on quality? I have seached quite a bit and found that people do notice big differences in quality and mostly prefers 2005 version 250Ohm or 80Ohm. Also it seems like noone realy talks about the DT770 PRO 32 version and only have experience with the DT770 premium 32 version. Also i guess i am buing a 2010 version of the headset, is this a "good year"? PS: If the sound quality is that much better on a 250Ohm i rather buy an AMP or sound card, cause I'm all in for quality.

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #2,381 of 29,490
sooo what would drive a person to buy one over another model between the 325i and the ms2i?

cause ive considered upgrading my ms1 but i wouldnt know to what but people state that it would be obvious to go for the ms2i due to the similar development

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #2,382 of 29,490

Quote:
Does Ohm realy have this little impact on quality? I have seached quite a bit and found that people do notice big differences in quality and mostly prefers 2005 version 250Ohm or 80Ohm. 

DT770-80 is among the least balanced headphone I've owned.  The bass is overwhelming and the treble metallic and harsh.   I could see how they might be ok gaming headphones, but I wouldn't use them for music.  250 ohm have a reputation for a much more balanced signature.  Both need an amp to sound their best.

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #2,383 of 29,490
Quote:

Does Ohm realy have this little impact on quality? I have seached quite a bit and found that people do notice big differences in quality and mostly prefers 2005 version 250Ohm or 80Ohm. Also it seems like noone realy talks about the DT770 PRO 32 version and only have experience with the DT770 premium 32 version. Also i guess i am buing a 2010 version of the headset, is this a "good year"? PS: If the sound quality is that much better on a 250Ohm i rather buy an AMP or sound card, cause I'm all in for quality.

Beyer currently makes 6 versions of the DT770.  (I think...)  Two "Pro" (supposedly made to be studio monitors of something) in 80 ohm and 250 ohm.  One "drummer" version (DT770M) which I think is just a Pro 80 with different pads an a volume limiter of some sort.  Then there are three "Premium" (consumer line) in 32, 250, and 600 ohm versions.  There is no 32 ohm Pro version AFAIK.  Its understandable if you're confused.  I don't think Beyer's lineup makes sense to anyone.

You're likely to be fine with any of the Premium versions which are better balanced than the Pro versions.  None of them are that hard to drive from anything that's stronger than a portable player unless you demand ear-bleeding volume.  Most anything that plugs into the wall should have enough voltage to get even the 600s louder than what's safe and will likely sound decent while doing it.  I wouldn't get worked up about the impedance rating.  Just buy whichever one is cheapest if you're on a budget.

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #2,384 of 29,490
Looking to pull the trigger tomorrow on my first set of good headphones, but could use another opinion or two:

I'm split between:
Grado SR325is
Ultrasone HFI-780

Which do you all think fit my needs better?

I'm looking for:
Sound quality in the areas of music that I listen to, namely: Rock, Alternative Rock, Electronica. (Think Radiohead, Muse, The Beatles)
Comfort
Style (Both look good to me!)

One final question, will the Grados leak sound out? I mean, if I am going to the library to study, would they be a bad idea?

Thanks to all who have helped and will help!

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #2,385 of 29,490
Sennheiser hd485s have been ordered :) will be here tomorrow. Unfortunately my soundcard will be a week or so. This is the perfect chance for me to hear for myself the difference between onboard sound and an expansion pci soundcard :) interesting, cant wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back