++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 22, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #2,401 of 29,490
Quote:

i would prefer active noise canceling. How much "passively" do you think closed ear can really cut sound out? And will an amp benefit the active noise canceling much? And how much quality of sound/bass do I lose by getting the active?

Thanks,

Kyle

The only ANC 'phones I've seen (from measurements) that that are worth the cost, batteries and SQ loss are the Bose QCs and the Sennheiser PCX450.  The Bose by far have the best NC though.

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #2,402 of 29,490
Gh0stie & Kyle-

If you want complete isolation and good sound quality I think iems are your best option.  With foam or silicone tips, they cut sound almost as much as earplugs while potentially delivering superb quality music (e.g. SE530 can rival most good headphones).  imo active noise cancelling headphones fall short because a) they aren't made with high quality sound in mind b) they generate waveforms that do not perfectly match external sounds, introducing their own source of noise c) they can only counter low frequencies and not high ones, so are no good anyways for masking the upper registers of voice, tv, etc.  Put the price premium for all that circuitry towards good iems instead..  
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #2,403 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for a pair of headphones to listen to at home, in the same room as 2 other people (about 6 and 12 ft away respectively), in the 150-200$ range. I listen to a lot of Rock (Beatles, Muse, Zeppelin), but I need them to be good with as many genres as possible, because I listen to pretty much everything. I do not have an amp, I just plug them straight into the 1/8" port on my motherboard. Also, I'm in Canada, if that changes anything.

Would really appreciate any recommendations! Thanks!

My favorite closed headphone in your price range is SRH840.  They isolate well, work well without an amp (but do improve with one, even an old stereo will do) and sound good with most kinds of music.  Their only downside is a slightly small soundstage and limited treble extension.  Too bad you missed the sale at futureshop, they had them for $129. 

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #2,405 of 29,490

hi there

I need a pair of headphones for watching youtube videos mostly on my laptop

I'm not an audiophile by any means, and most of my audio/video is low quality

I do want a quality product though - build quality and comfort are important

it would also be nice if other people can't hear what I'm listening to

budget $50-100.

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #2,406 of 29,490

Quote:
Gh0stie & Kyle-

If you want complete isolation and good sound quality I think iems are your best option.  With foam or silicone tips, they cut sound almost as much as earplugs while potentially delivering superb quality music (e.g. SE530 can rival most good headphones).  imo active noise cancelling headphones fall short because a) they aren't made with high quality sound in mind b) they generate waveforms that do not perfectly match external sounds, introducing their own source of noise c) they can only counter low frequencies and not high ones, so are no good anyways for masking the upper registers of voice, tv, etc.  Put the price premium for all that circuitry towards good iems instead..  
evil_smiley.gif

I have considered/tried IEM's, but I really dislike the feeling of them in my ear. I can stand normal ear buds, but when they go that far in they just don't feel comfortable to me.

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #2,407 of 29,490

Quote:
The only ANC 'phones I've seen (from measurements) that that are worth the cost, batteries and SQ loss are the Bose QCs and the Sennheiser PCX450.  The Bose by far have the best NC though.

I looked at the Sennheiser's and I really like them. Only thing is they are a little over what I wanted to spend, do you think a refurbished pair is safe to go with for a 100-150 off?

Mar 23, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #2,408 of 29,490

Quote:

hi there

budget $50-100.

I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but I can tell you the Sony MDR-XD100 and 200 are pretty comfortable. I've no headphones over $100 yet though, so I can't really give you a comparison with the entry-level audiophile headphones. However, if most of your audio is low-quality, this really shouldn't be a problem.

I must warn you though that all closed headphones tend to get a little warm on the ears, but other than that, the 100s have served me well (I've had a little experience with the 200s lent to me by a friend, they seem just a bit better than the 100 in terms of sensitivity (and convenience, given the music/movie sound switch). Both are extremely affordable for below $50.

Mar 23, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #2,409 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucariote /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My favorite closed headphone in your price range is SRH840.  They isolate well, work well without an amp (but do improve with one, even an old stereo will do) and sound good with most kinds of music.  Their only downside is a slightly small soundstage and limited treble extension.  Too bad you missed the sale at futureshop, they had them for $129. 

Wow those do seem awesome, I'll be going for those, then! :) Shame about that deal, they're sold out everywhere now, too, because of that.

Thanks!

Mar 23, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #2,410 of 29,490
Quote:
I looked at the Sennheiser's and I really like them. Only thing is they are a little over what I wanted to spend, do you think a refurbished pair is safe to go with for a 100-150 off?

I wouldn't really know.  If you can find them from a reputable place then it probably safe.

Mar 23, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #2,411 of 29,490
Ok i'm looking for decent headphones for bass-heavy electronic music.
I've seen the Beyerdynamics DT770 recommended, but i'm still skeptical. I want headphones where i can actually feel the bass, like with for example the Creative EP830 IEMs. I currently have Sennheiser HD 25's, and they do have good bass but almost no punch. I don't know if anything except for IEMs can actually deliver that.
Also I usually use the headphones in bed, driven by my iPad, and the DT770s seem like they might be hard to drive. How expensive would a fitting headphone amp be for them?
The alternative would be getting some bass-heavy dynamic IEMs like the Fischer Audio Eterna.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #2,412 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking into buying some portable headphones to use with my ipod. Was looking into Grado sr80i's and the Alessandro MS1i, but since they are open back headphones they will probably leak too much sound on the bus/train. Simple, black, designs are preferred (no flashy stuff).
Will semi-opens do better? My budget is about 150,- euros max.

Just to let you guys know: I bought the HD25-1 II (new, 166,- euro delivered). I just got 'm out of the box and this is just what I was looking for. Sound pretty good (I have to  almost max out my crappy ipod to drive them to some good volume levels on tracks that aren't mastered very loud, Fiio on the way to get that extra ouph), small, light, good isolation.

Mar 23, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #2,413 of 29,490

Quote:
So I'm taking the plunge next week on the Q40 and a pair of Portapros with a FiiO E5 and line-out, totaling roughly $150 USD.

Thanks for the advice, Armaegis.

Wow you got some good deals there. Enjoy!

Quote:

budget $50-100.

Sony V6 or 7506. Good sound, durable and portable, and good isolation.

Quote:
Ok i'm looking for decent headphones for bass-heavy electronic music.
I've seen the Beyerdynamics DT770 recommended, but i'm still skeptical. I want headphones where i can actually feel the bass, like with for example the Creative EP830 IEMs. I currently have Sennheiser HD 25's, and they do have good bass but almost no punch. I don't know if anything except for IEMs can actually deliver that.
Also I usually use the headphones in bed, driven by my iPad, and the DT770s seem like they might be hard to drive. How expensive would a fitting headphone amp be for them?
The alternative would be getting some bass-heavy dynamic IEMs like the Fischer Audio Eterna.
Any advice would be appreciated.

The heaphones with the most bass "punch" I've felt have been the AKG closed portables (K81/K518/K450). For more deep rumble, I like the M-audio Q40 and Phiaton MS400.

I feel the HD25 is actually relatively punchy... if you feel that isn't enough, I think iems are the way to go, especially if you want to wear them in bed. I can't see any way you can wear a DT770 in bed and still be confortable, and those things like to have an amp.

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #2,414 of 29,490
Not a newb but Im to the point where Ive over-researched on my own and now look for the opinions of others.

I have always had IEM's and at this point have 530's. Then I figured Id try Headphones and picked up the Shure 840's. The headphone sound opened me up to a whole new level of clarity and stage I hadnt gotten before. After that I picked up the HD-II for more portability. Lastly I picked up a set of D7000's only because I got a smoking deal on them.

I mostly listen to music via headphones/IEMs with my iPod Classic. I figured I wasnt getting the most out of it and picked up a Headstage Arrow amp.

Here's my dilemma; I need something more for travel than listening at home or at my computer. I love the sound of the HD-II better than the 530 and they are both portable enough for me. Im over the IEM thing though as they arent comfortable to me after a couple hours and Im jaded by the soundstage of an actual headphone. The D7000's arent portable at all, I tried on my most recent trip. They arent easy to carry and I look like a douche with them on in public(no matter how sexy they look off my head).

So what Im looking for is a portable set of cans that are more portable than the D7000, like the HD-II, but have a better sound like the D7000 and also have similar peripheral noise cancellation of the HD-II.

Is there anything out there? Ill take options from $200 to $2000. Just dont be silly with your suggestion and try to suggest things you have actually heard. If there are threads on this subject, please add that to your response as well.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back