++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 23, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #2,416 of 29,490

Quote:
If $2000 is in your price range, why not try for the ultrasone edition 8?

Well, those are my last resort headphones. While I am in love with them, I do need some sort of justification that theres nothing "almost" as good in the <$800 range. Its hard for me to imagine that the ED8's sound twice as good. If that the case, then so be it, but Id like to get all options if possible.

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #2,417 of 29,490

Hi,

I am looking for some over ear headphones, that cost no more than £130 (note- English currency)!

I would really like them to be portable (folding/lightweight) and look damn good!

I like listening to hip hop, RnB, pop, a little rock and have begun listening to dubstep (only a little). 

I would prefer amazing sound quality over a "booming bass!"- I want to feel the bass but I don't want it to overpower the music. My source is an ipod touch 3rd generation. 

Thanks in advance :)

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #2,418 of 29,490
Quote:
Well, those are my last resort headphones. While I am in love with them, I do need some sort of justification that theres nothing "almost" as good in the <$800 range. Its hard for me to imagine that the ED8's sound twice as good. If that the case, then so be it, but Id like to get all options if possible.

I've seen used ones go for less than 1K on ebay and the classifieds on here.  If you don't like IEMs they're probably the best portable 'phone there is.  Or, maybe the T5P if you count it as portable.  Its bigger than the ED8 but there aren't any delicate wooden cups begging for a scratch or dent.  The Ultrasone Pro 900 and Sony Z1000 may be worth a look.  They're both closed and semi-portable but I've never heard either one.  Beyer has the new DT1350 which is supposed to be the pro version of the T50P but I don't know if there are any impressions of reviews yet.

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #2,419 of 29,490

Quote:
I've seen used ones go for less than 1K on ebay and the classifieds on here.  If you don't like IEMs they're probably the best portable 'phone there is.  Or, maybe the T5P if you count it as portable.  Its bigger than the ED8 but there aren't any delicate wooden cups begging for a scratch or dent.  The Ultrasone Pro 900 and Sony Z1000 may be worth a look.  They're both closed and semi-portable but I've never heard either one.  Beyer has the new DT1350 which is supposed to be the pro version of the T50P but I don't know if there are any impressions of reviews yet.

Ill check out the Ultra 900, not a huge fan of any Sony products(sorry, just biased). I tried the T50p but they didnt fit well on my peanut head. Suppose thats why I dont have any clamping issues people talk about with the HD-25's.

Mar 23, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #2,420 of 29,490
Quote:
Ill check out the Ultra 900, not a huge fan of any Sony products(sorry, just biased). I tried the T50p but they didnt fit well on my peanut head. Suppose thats why I dont have any clamping issues people talk about with the HD-25's.

The DT1350 has a different headband.  Its splits like the HD25.  I don't know if anyone knows if its any tighter, but it might be.

Mar 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #2,421 of 29,490

Quote:
So what Im looking for is a portable set of cans that are more portable than the D7000, like the HD-II, but have a better sound like the D7000 and also have similar peripheral noise cancellation of the HD-II.

I'll have to second Ultrasone ed 8.  I own D7000, SRH840 and SE530 that you mention and the Ultrasones, and imo they are the only closed headphone in production that have better sound and more detailed soundstage than D7000, can work with an ipod with almost no degradation and isolate almost completely.  I found mine used for just a little more than the D7000.  They are all the more affordable if you sell the Denons.  
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #2,423 of 29,490

Quote:
Just to let you guys know: I bought the HD25-1 II (new, 166,- euro delivered). I just got 'm out of the box and this is just what I was looking for. Sound pretty good (I have to  almost max out my crappy ipod to drive them to some good volume levels on tracks that aren't mastered very loud, Fiio on the way to get that extra ouph), small, light, good isolation.

Glad you like them.  
smily_headphones1.gif
  Enjoy!

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #2,424 of 29,490

Quote:

Hi,

I am looking for some over ear headphones, that cost no more than £130 (note- English currency)!

I would really like them to be portable (folding/lightweight) and look damn good!

I like listening to hip hop, RnB, pop, a little rock and have begun listening to dubstep (only a little). 

I would prefer amazing sound quality over a "booming bass!"- I want to feel the bass but I don't want it to overpower the music. My source is an ipod touch 3rd generation. 

Thanks in advance :)

Not sure what headphones you will end up settling on, but I can assure you the bass is much improved on iPods through a line-out instead of the headphone-out.
There's a lot of "fall-off" when using the headphone jack, and using a line-out will most likely need an amp to accompany it. The iPod (any generation) isn't too good at driving headphones on its own.

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #2,425 of 29,490

Quote:
I'll have to second Ultrasone ed 8.  I own D7000, SRH840 and SE530 that you mention and the Ultrasones, and imo they are the only closed headphone in production that have better sound and more detailed soundstage than D7000, can work with an ipod with almost no degradation and isolate almost completely.  I found mine used for just a little more than the D7000.  They are all the more affordable if you sell the Denons.  
evil_smiley.gif

Ugh, thats what I had thought but didnt want to consider. I like my collection but I suppose if I have to let it go. I have hardly listened to it, only broken them in. But, if they dont really suit my needs then they will just sit there. Anyone interested in pretty much brand new D7000's?

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #2,426 of 29,490
Haha, that sucks. The edition 8's are supposedly better in every way and would replace both your portable and home rig. The only reason I recommended them was the price range you gave. Realistically, I don't think anyone would really value their portable rig more than their home rig so if you don't want to spend that much and are so reluctant to do so, you should probably look for much less expensive headphones. I don't have much knowledge to impart on the matter, but I really highly doubt that a smaller portable headphone is going to sound anywhere close to the d7000 in terms of sound quality.

I'm a noob so I really don't know much, sorry, but I've also been looking at a somewhat cheap portable headphone and from what I've read, the d7000 sounds like an m50 just better in every single way. From what I've read the ultrasone hfi 580 and 680 seem to be relatively refined m50's as well and those are sub $200 options so I think they're at least worth a look at.

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #2,427 of 29,490

Quote:
Haha, that sucks. The edition 8's are supposedly better in every way and would replace both your portable and home rig. The only reason I recommended them was the price range you gave. Realistically, I don't think anyone would really value their portable rig more than their home rig so if you don't want to spend that much and are so reluctant to do so, you should probably look for much less expensive headphones. I don't have much knowledge to impart on the matter, but I really highly doubt that a smaller portable headphone is going to sound anywhere close to the d7000 in terms of sound quality.

I'm a noob so I really don't know much, sorry, but I've also been looking at a somewhat cheap portable headphone and from what I've read, the d7000 sounds like an m50 just better in every single way. From what I've read the ultrasone hfi 580 and 680 seem to be relatively refined m50's as well and those are sub $200 options so I think they're at least worth a look at.

My home rig are actually speakers. I dont listen to headphones at home much at all. This will be primarily on the road for work, mostly in airplanes and hotels. The D7000 are not like m50 at all, no offense.  My HD-25 are more like the m50 and I already have those that fit that range.

Anyone have any input on the Bayer T5p? Same price range as the ED8.

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #2,428 of 29,490
i do hate this thread, always too many posts to read them.... even daily are too many.... just an advice for everyone.... do not get akg k271mkii without an amp.... they do not sound good.... i just got them, and i have to return them.... i cannot drive them with anything....

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #2,430 of 29,490
Get the Edition 8's they are a great all rounder, check my signature. I have the ED8 LE's so I speak from personal experience, I'm pretty sure you won't regret the purchase. The only thing I regretted is buying the normal ED8's then selling them at a loss to get the LE model but other than that I have no regrets.

Quote:
My home rig are actually speakers. I dont listen to headphones at home much at all. This will be primarily on the road for work, mostly in airplanes and hotels. The D7000 are not like m50 at all, no offense.  My HD-25 are more like the m50 and I already have those that fit that range.

Anyone have any input on the Bayer T5p? Same price range as the ED8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back