++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 20, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #2,296 of 29,490

Quote:
I will keep pursuing the HD555 and hope i can get them and make this my first choice - Funny, i had just decided I was going to go with the HD485's and then checked this thread - Whats your thoughts on the HD485s? I can get a great deal on them at the moment so was thinking i'd just get them but will push for the HD555's firstly thanks to your advise. Thank you

The 485 is quite decent actually. At first I thought I'd never heard them before, but once I looked it up I realized my campus radio station used to use them years ago.

If budget is a concern and you can get them at a good price, go for it. Having money for food/shelter/gas/etc is better than chasing diminishing returns.

Quote:
Just in terms of a bigger low-end base, which is better:
The M-Audio Q40 or Audio Technica M50?

The Q40 by a noticeable margin, and even moreso with an amp (even a budget one).

Quote:
With threads like this its no wonder headfi is so respected :D
Well im fairly noobish to the site besides me reading through threads like a creeper everyday. lol
If you guys don't mind helping me I've been looking for cans thats are fairly portable and offer decent isolation since I'm gonna be using them at school or on the bus most often.
I listen to Metal music mainly, but do love dubstep, house, and hardstyle  so some good bass would be appreciated.
Oh and im gonna be using them on my ipod if it makes a difference.
And my general price range will be from $100-$150
Thanks Headfi :D

The ever popular M50 would be a decent choice. Spend a few bucks on the Shure 840 pads which will improve isolation. Also consider the portable AKGs like the K420/K450/Q460/K518.

Quote:
The Porta Pro are decent little things, but... If your CX400ii still work and you like them, do you really need to buy another pair? save your money man!

---------------------------------------------------------------
haha yeah, but the thing is the 400's are in ear whereas I'd like some headphones for travel :p

Are the porta pro's my best bet for getting some portable headphones for under £30?

For that price bracket, yeah they're good. My preference would be the Senn PX100 if you can still find them, or maybe the PX100ii if you can find it for sale within your budget.

Quote:
I'm confused about my priorities right now. I wonder which one I should buy first
DAC or Sound Card(external preferably) or Full Sized Open Back Headphone (grado's are preferred)

All of my music files are FLAC or APE. I listen to rock, hard rock, blues, jazz and metal. 
if I buy headphone then what are my other options other than grado? my budget below $200. I always prefer clear, big headspace, sharp and dominant mid and treble. I don't like those thumpin bass sound. 

thank you guys!

Buy the headphones first. There's no point getting a soundcard (we audio snobs call them dacs because it makes us feel better) if you have no headphones to listen through.

Grados sounds (no pun intended) spot on for what you're looking for in terms of sound signature. I recommend the SR80 (or Alessandro MS1), or maybe the SR225 if you want to push it up a notch, but I don't find the differences particularly noticeable.

For something different, you could also check out the Beyerdynamic DT48.

Quote:

Okay, so here are my limits
Price: <$150
Type: Full Sized - can also be used out and about. 
Type of music: Techno, Ballad, Rock (don't need crazy bass, already have beats for that), classical. basically the whole range.
and if it's possible
a portable amp
Price <$50
I know there's already a headphone guide, but I would rather have a community top 3.

I've looked at skullcandy (too weird for me), Sony, and Bose, but since i'm mostly a noob at this stuff, I prefer people with a wider variety of knowledge. I personally already own an Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, but besides that, there's not much I can tell.

Any suggestions?

Sony MDR-V6 or 7506
Denon D1100, D1001 or Creative Aurvana Live

For budget amps, look into a cmoy or just skip it for now.

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #2,297 of 29,490

Quote:

Hi guys. At the moment I have some Sennheiser HD600 (stock construction, but HD650’s cable) , an Audinst HUD-MX1 DAC (all stock) and a LittleDot MKIII tube amp (Mullard tubs upgraded).

It sounds ok on soft music, like jazz, pop, chamber, but I’m not happy enough buy the classical orchestra, electronics and metal performance. One of my favorite performers, J.M.Jarre, sounds quite sleepy and unexciting on my current setup (but it was great on cheaper HD595).. Will you please give me an advice, what should I do in this case ?

I like all sorts of music, but one thing is important to me – the must be energy, clarity and emotion, not just relaxation or pleasent sounds. I’m not a slow music lover at all.. Even classical I liten, brings lots of energy (Beethoven’s 5 and 9 symphonies, Dvorak 9th ,  Bruckner’s 7th  , Orth’s Carmina Burana). But I also prefere neutral sound presentation, with good extension and open construction. By saying good I mean present, not overwhelming. 

Should I go for a better source, amp or just change my headphone, if the budget is 300$ ?  

If headphones, should I go for DT880 or DT900 or even something else ?

I need a good, all around setup, with one, single headphone in it.

Getting another set of headphones will make the biggest difference, and give you options to play with when switching from genre to genre. The Beyers are a good choice, or how about a wooden Audio Technica (I've seen a couple on the sale forums recently). I also like to recommend the AKG K240 Sextett, although the sound might not be aggressive enough for you.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion keanex, I'll keep that in mind, they look like what I'm looking for too.

Thanks for your suggestion as well - In my case, I guess style does not necessarily equate to portable - as I think the K701's look pretty awesome. The beyerdynamic t50p seem fine, but I'm really looking for over-ear as opposed to on-ear (correct me if I'm wrong and those are actually over-ear!) The issue of open vs. closed doesn't really bother me as well.

Any other input would be great, thanks everyone!

Maybe check out the Ultrasones in your price range. I believe they might suit your genres.

Quote:
Hey!

I posted a question on what a good headphone is for about 100 euros and nobody answered. So I'm going to post it here.

I have only bought 1 headphone ever. It was a closed wired headphone which goes all around the ear, it was about 50 euros. I was hooked after I bought it but since it broke after 1.5 years I wanna buy a new and better one. Which will probably be more expensive :p I dont know alot about headphones so you can say I'm noob :)

My budget is 100 euro's. A litlte bit more money invested is fine if a headphone for 120 euro's is alot better. But I don't wanna go to extremes.

I want a headphone which closes around the ear for immersive listening experiences. My iPhone is the #1 advice I listen music on. Usually in trains and public transport and at home. Sometimes I game with these headphones on for more awesomeness ^^

Any suggestions? I went to the Mediamarket yesterday and tried some headphones. The Sennheiser HD 438 was fitting REALLY nicely around my ears, it was a perfect fit! and the sound was good too, but maybe there are headphones which provide better sound. Most of the headphones I tried on didnt fit that comfy on my ears. I don't have huge ears or anything :p. The Sennheiser HD 215 II was pretty good as well. The rest sucked or was too expensive.

I usually listen to Drum 'n Bass, House, Dance, Techno and sometimes Rock.

Tomorrow I'm going to another Mediamarket to try other headphones. I google'd some recommendations for headphones and the Sennheiser HD 448 was pretty nicely rated. Any experiences with that one? Thanks!

For your genres, I would say the 438 is better than the 448. The 448 has slightly better detailing, but the 438 has much stronger bass and extension.

Quote:
Oh man, I look like a real butthead after seeing this. I just made a thread....

Anyway:
Last time I was here was early last year, and I was just about to buy my first pair of real cans. You guys helped me decide on the Audiotechnica ATH-AD700, which I could not be happier with. Since then, I've built myself a Millett Hybrid Minimax amp to go with them, and my turntable, actually. It's a fantastic combination, but I believe I'm ready to step up.

What I want:
  1. A very detailed, possibly "analytical" headphone, fitting for rock, jazz, various electronic/IDM/Ambient/etc.
  2. A logical step-up from the ATH-AD700
  3. Still open headphones, I much prefer their sound, and leakage is no issue
  4. Something that will compliment my Millett Hybrid Minimax well (currently using the 12FK6 tubes)
  5. Something preferably in the $200-300 price range, willing to go higher for something extra special

The K701 have caught my eye, but I haven't really done all of the research yet. Plus, those seem to obvious a choice, that's why I come to you fine folks.

What do you y'all think? Thanks in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

The AD900 would be the obvious upgrade, but if you're looking for something with a different sound go with the K701.

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #2,298 of 29,490
Hey everyone, total newbie here!

I'm looking to find some headphones in the $50-$100 range that are build to last. Crisp sound and adequate bass would be great too if that's possible within the price range.

The problem I'm having is that I live in Canada, and a lot of the headphones I'm seeing recommended here (for example the sr60s) either don't ship here or cost about twice as much as they do in the US. Anyone know a good pair of headphones that do ship here?

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #2,300 of 29,490

Quote:
The AD900 would be the obvious upgrade, but if you're looking for something with a different sound go with the K701.

I've never heard the K701, but people around here like to call the Ad700 the "poor mans K701" so I'm assuming the sound isn't much different.

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #2,301 of 29,490

Quote:

I'm looking to find some headphones in the $50-$100 range that are build to last. Crisp sound and adequate bass would be great too if that's possible within the price range.

The problem I'm having is that I live in Canada, and a lot of the headphones I'm seeing recommended here (for example the sr60s) either don't ship here or cost about twice as much as they do in the US. Anyone know a good pair of headphones that do ship here?

Try the Sony MDR-V6 or 7506. Prices jump all over the place but you can find it online for <$100 Cnd, then get a local retailer to price match.

Quote:
Thanks Armaegis! I also found several threads that the 448 is better with classic music so it has more vivid and alive sound and the 438 has more base.

Personally, I found the difference in detailing between the 438 and 448 to be small, while the difference in bass was quite noticeable. Pick depending on your preferences.

Quote:
I've never heard the K701, but people around here like to call the Ad700 the "poor mans K701" so I'm assuming the sound isn't much different.

I've owned both... there are some similarities, but you can readily tell them apart. The audio technicas have always had an "airy" feel to me. The K701 to me is perhaps the lightest of the AKGs I've tried, which is where I assume the comparisons come in.

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #2,302 of 29,490
HI new here. I created this account mainly because of this question, so I'll dive right in. I am stuck on what headphones to get. I have a price range of anything up to £200 (yes I'm UK based.), I listen to mainly ,but not exclusively, rock/acoustic/metal and may move into classical soon. I would like headphones that look nice, (I know this is subjective but the only area I wouldn't go is wood finish, but I doubt there is anything in this price range with that.) 
Some headphones that have caught my eye based on my preferences: Grado Sr80i/60 (but is around £100 here in the UK) ,not too sure on the looks of the Grado but may grow to like them. The  AKG K701, which I have heard is not suitable for rock music and needs an amp to drive properly. But god do I want those due to the looks.

Random/ More info that may help:
Full size headphones only, will be using for home use only, not bothered if they are considered "large".

Any recommendations based on this would help alot. Thanks in advance.

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #2,303 of 29,490
Take a look at the Alessandro line of headphones, which are basically Grados with minor changes to them and without the stupid price markup when shipping outside the US.

The K701 are great for classical, and generally good for rock depending on the subgenres. They do tend to be finicky with amps, but for the most part if you have a home receiver to give them power it will be more than adequate.

Also consider the Ultrasones and see if there are any within your budget that appeal to you.

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #2,304 of 29,490

In response to AlexRoma-
Quote:
Getting another set of headphones will make the biggest difference, and give you options to play with when switching from genre to genre. The Beyers are a good choice, or how about a wooden Audio Technica (I've seen a couple on the sale forums recently). I also like to recommend the AKG K240 Sextett, although the sound might not be aggressive enough for you.

I concur. Trying HD600 out different dacs and amps changes the speed & signature, but the changes are relatively small.  For example, going from a tube amp to an ss amp makes them a little less soft, but not so much that I'd use them for rock in place of an Ultrasone or Grado, etc.  Used you could get a different & great open headphone in your budget.

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #2,305 of 29,490
I previously posted here but I'm still unsure of what to buy. My choice was between the Skullcandy Hesh for $20, the Sony MDR-XB300 for $26, the Audio Technica ATH-M20 for $25, or the Panasonic HTX7 for $31. What would be better in terms of sound, look, value, included items, durability, and just overall quality. I listen to all kinds of music, from hard rock, to dubstep, to heavy metal, to rap, and classical.

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #2,306 of 29,490
Soooo, I'm new here as well and I have searched for many hours and came up with uh, pretty much "nothing". I own a Denon DJ headphone right now (DN-HP1000). These are pretty awesome headphones, but they got worn out after a couple of years. Now I'm trying to find something to replace them. I am not actually a DJ, so I don't need the flexibility of these headphones.

What I am looking for though, is something with good lows and a well balanced sound. I looked into the new V-Moda Crossfade LP, which looks pretty good to me right now. But they are expensive... Not that that's a problem, but if I'm gonna spend 200 dollars on headphones, I want them to be really good! Any tips? :)

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #2,307 of 29,490
Quick question: Which headphone is better? I mainly listen to Drum 'n Bass, House, Dance, sometimes Rock. I listen while on trains/public transport and at home & sometimes gaming.

Sennheiser HD 438 or Sennheiser HD 215-II

Thanks!

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #2,308 of 29,490

Quote:
I previously posted here but I'm still unsure of what to buy. My choice was between the Skullcandy Hesh for $20, the Sony MDR-XB300 for $26, the Audio Technica ATH-M20 for $25, or the Panasonic HTX7 for $31. What would be better in terms of sound, look, value, included items, durability, and just overall quality. I listen to all kinds of music, from hard rock, to dubstep, to heavy metal, to rap, and classical.

Koss PortaPros are well received here for the price. 
http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #2,309 of 29,490

Quote:
Take a look at the Alessandro line of headphones, which are basically Grados with minor changes to them and without the stupid price markup when shipping outside the US.

The K701 are great for classical, and generally good for rock depending on the subgenres. They do tend to be finicky with amps, but for the most part if you have a home receiver to give them power it will be more than adequate.

Also consider the Ultrasones and see if there are any within your budget that appeal to you.

Thanks for the advice. After finding that the Alessandro's come to around £80 due to shipping charges, is it worth going for the sr80's (currently £90-100) ? And for that matter is their a wealth of difference between the Grado/Alessandro with the K201 in sound quality?. Finally how would the Alessandro's compare with the Sennheiser HD 448 in sound quality ?( I own a pair). Thanks

EDIT: Looked at the Ultrasones, nothing really caught my eye and they are relatively hard to find. Any ones in particular would you suggest?

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #2,310 of 29,490

Quote:

I'd recommend Alessandro or poking around the used market, here and at canuckaudiomart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back