++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 17, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #2,222 of 29,490

[size=medium]

Quote:
Hi,

I always used (crappy) earphones, but now I want a real headphone.
...But I really can't decide which one.

Can you help me choose? :)
It has to be a closed-back one, for less than €80.
I listen rock, punk and metal music the most.

Thanks in advance.

:)
[/size]

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #2,223 of 29,490
The Ultrasone HFI 450 are a solid headphone in your price bracket. Others to consider: Sennheiser PX200-ii, Denon D1001/D1100, Shure 750DJ.

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #2,226 of 29,490
@cswann1 @Armaegis Thanks for your input guys I think now I´m more leaned toward the Denons. I love my grados but as a complement headphone I think that I DO want something different.

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #2,228 of 29,490

I have this belief that I have held so long that it is hard to let go of.  Even if it was originally based on solid factual information, it may no longer be accurate.  It's messing with my ability to enjoy my new equipment and the irony is that it's probably just psychological.  So in an effort at self therapy, I'll roughly outline this belief in hope that someone will debunk it and I can continue more easily toward my goals of sonic bliss.

The Belief (with my home speaker system, as I'm new to headphones):  You should have enough power such that most of your listening occurs between 8:00-11:00 on the volume knob - it gets really loud at 12:00, 1:00 is crazy loud and you actually never go past 1:30 or 2:00 due to certainty that some part of your speaker will fly off or burst into flames.  This is also based on a belief that the (watts/power/volts/whatever?) are somehow more "clean" at the lower knob settings and somehow not as good up near full volume rotation.  This may not be true.  (Is it?)

So now to my new set up.  HD650's and iBasso PB2.  I can get things just loud enough - as in just short of flames, etc.(this is only for very short sections of certain songs that I just can't resist hearing that loud.)  So it's just loud enough, but only at pretty much max volume (as opposed to 1:00) - depending on how loud it's recorded.  So I find myself missing the feeling I've had with my speaker system for the last 20 years, where when I start cranking the knob I go "Whoa," slow down - holy moly.    Instead it's more of a "This thing barely gets it done."  Are the "goods" just as good at 4:30 and I need to let it go?

Also wrapped up in all this is that I'm missing some of the excitement of high volume listening that a speaker system offers, as you don't "feel" it as much.  This is slightly less so with my AHT-M50's, as they tend to transfer a bit more vibration to the head than the HD650 does.  Maybe I'm chasing something I can't get with headphones.

Any thoughts besides that I need to listen to music more quietly - which I do the vast majority of the time?

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #2,229 of 29,490
The closest thing that sounded like speakers to me was when I had some orthos. Sadly, those need a bit of juice behind them and I didn't have a sufficient amp at the time, so I sold them off.

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #2,230 of 29,490

Quote:

I have this belief that I have held so long that it is hard to let go of.  Even if it was originally based on solid factual information, it may no longer be accurate.  It's messing with my ability to enjoy my new equipment and the irony is that it's probably just psychological.  So in an effort at self therapy, I'll roughly outline this belief in hope that someone will debunk it and I can continue more easily toward my goals of sonic bliss.

The Belief (with my home speaker system, as I'm new to headphones):  You should have enough power such that most of your listening occurs between 8:00-11:00 on the volume knob - it gets really loud at 12:00, 1:00 is crazy loud and you actually never go past 1:30 or 2:00 due to certainty that some part of your speaker will fly off or burst into flames.  This is also based on a belief that the (watts/power/volts/whatever?) are somehow more "clean" at the lower knob settings and somehow not as good up near full volume rotation.  This may not be true.  (Is it?)

So now to my new set up.  HD650's and iBasso PB2.  I can get things just loud enough - as in just short of flames, etc.(this is only for very short sections of certain songs that I just can't resist hearing that loud.)  So it's just loud enough, but only at pretty much max volume (as opposed to 1:00) - depending on how loud it's recorded.  So I find myself missing the feeling I've had with my speaker system for the last 20 years, where when I start cranking the knob I go "Whoa," slow down - holy moly.    Instead it's more of a "This thing barely gets it done."  Are the "goods" just as good at 4:30 and I need to let it go?

Also wrapped up in all this is that I'm missing some of the excitement of high volume listening that a speaker system offers, as you don't "feel" it as much.  This is slightly less so with my AHT-M50's, as they tend to transfer a bit more vibration to the head than the HD650 does.  Maybe I'm chasing something I can't get with headphones.

Any thoughts besides that I need to listen to music more quietly - which I do the vast majority of the time?

Never heard the PB2, so I can't comment on that. However, through my Audio-GD Fun the HD650 gets ample power and rarely do I exceed 9 o'clock in high gain. Going past that is very risky, as the sound is amazingly clean and without fatiguing harshness or distortion. Effortless and ample power for great dynamics. It's also an inexpensive combo with a great dac (WM8741) and preamp feature. I'd suggest checking out the entry level Audio-GD gear.

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #2,231 of 29,490
I'm looking for a portable headphones which sound about the same as the audio technica M50. I listen mainly to electronic music so as you can see I love the bass extension of the M50. However these headphones are a bit too bulky for me to carry around with.

My budget is $200

I was considering the AIAIAI TMA-1 and the HD 25, are these smart choices?

Mar 18, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #2,232 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for a portable headphones which sound about the same as the audio technica M50. I listen mainly to electronic music so as you can see I love the bass extension of the M50. However these headphones are a bit too bulky for me to carry around with.

My budget is $200

I was considering the AIAIAI TMA-1 and the HD 25, are these smart choices?

Those are great choices. Be advised the TMA-1s have a darker tonality - less treble and more bass, in short.

Mar 18, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #2,233 of 29,490
I'm looking to buy to audio technica m50 and I was wondering how good it is with classical music (violin concertos mainly)?
If there are other headphones in the $200 price range that are significantly better at playing classical then I'd like to hear about them but if it's a small difference then I'd rather stick with the m50 because there's a store close by I can buy them at. Thanks!

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #2,234 of 29,490
I'm buying right now and am completely torn and need some advice from you nice people.

As the subject mentioned - the K701 whites versus the 880 or 990 - and the price is virtually equal.  Both would be in new condition.

My listening habits are primarily hip-hop, electronic, jazz, indie (kind of all over the place).

Please help any input will do!  I'm leaning toward the K701's as they seem to be more tried and true....

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #2,235 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking to buy to audio technica m50 and I was wondering how good it is with classical music (violin concertos mainly)?
If there are other headphones in the $200 price range that are significantly better at playing classical then I'd like to hear about them but if it's a small difference then I'd rather stick with the m50 because there's a store close by I can buy them at. Thanks!

I did not like the M50 with classical music in the slightest. Any Sennheiser in that price range will be better. You can get a used ESW9 or K701 for that price which would be excellent (the former does not need an amp).

Quote:
I'm buying right now and am completely torn and need some advice from you nice people.

As the subject mentioned - the K701 whites versus the 880 or 990 - and the price is virtually equal.  Both would be in new condition.

My listening habits are primarily hip-hop, electronic, jazz, indie (kind of all over the place).

Please help any input will do!  I'm leaning toward the K701's as they seem to be more tried and true....

You will find the K701 unsatisfying with hip hop. Choosing between the 880 or 990, give this thread a look: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more
For your genres, my vote goes to the 880 but read up on the thread and decide for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back