++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 15, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #2,193 of 29,490
Quote:
The DT770-600 seems to review fairly well and Im quite surprised at their price-point. They seem a lot cheaper than other sets Ive seen. That isnt necessarily a bad thing, of course! I know they need an amp, which is fine by me, but are there any drawbacks that you know of, or any reason for the lower price? You said that there are others you wouldnt recommend as they are unsuitable for travel. Are decent/good headphones plus traveling a combination that doesnt go together very well? Is it a construction thing, or a practicality issue?

Knowing that I would need an amp for sure, what things should I look for in one? (I know this is the wrong forum, but I hope it'll slide...) I dont mind going slightly higher end if there is something gained for it, especially considering the price of the the DT770-600s.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate your time!

Of the really good closed headphones I've heard, most of them have have features that would be considered flaws in a "portable" headphones.  Things like easily scratched wooden cups or slightly fragile joints, or very large size.

Ultrasone makes several well regarded closed models but the only one I've heard (and could recommend) is the ED8 which is out of you budget, even used.  You might want to look into their cheaper models.

Overall, the DT770s are good headphones.  I find their mids a little on the "cold" side but that's the closest thing to a flaw I think they have, but that's sort of a preference.  I don't have first hand experience with anything else in your price range that meets all of your criteria as well, but there may be something else I'm not aware of or just haven't heard so I can't tell you about it.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with portable amps either but I can give you a direction to look in.  When I owned the DT770s I found them powered quiet well by my Headroom Total Bithead which is a portable DAC/amp combo, but I listen on the quiet side.  This shows that they are fairly easy to drive as long as you have enough voltage to get you to your desired volume.  With that in mind you should look for something that runs from a 9V or greater battery or has an internal DC/DC converter to boost the voltage from a lower voltage lithium battery.  A few amps I've been considering for myself are the Headstage Arrow and Practical Devices XM6 and XM5.  Both are well reviewed, run from higher voltages, and have plenty of other useful features.  I've never tried either of them first hand though.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #2,194 of 29,490
right im a complete newbie at this, i want a pair of headphones that i can use with my ipod, i listen to mainly rock and metal, heavy metal and some rap, and i have a budget around £100 ($160) and would like to know what headphones you guys would reccomend, im looking for sounds quality mainly, but would also like something that has a BOOM! to it and can blow my ears off, thanks

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #2,195 of 29,490
What's the best universal headset that'll work for both PS3 and 360? I have $200 to spend. Doesn't matter to me if it's open backed or closed, whatever gets me the best sound quality. These will mainly be used for gaming (75%), movies (15%), and music (10%). Thanks in advance for all your help. I've looked into the following products...

Turtle Beach PX21
Tritton AX Pro 
Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Omega (don't think this one has been released yet)

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #2,196 of 29,490
Quote:
What's the best universal headset that'll work for both PS3 and 360? I have $200 to spend. Doesn't matter to me if it's open backed or closed, whatever gets me the best sound quality. These will mainly be used for gaming (75%), movies (15%), and music (10%). Thanks in advance for all your help. I've looked into the following products...

Turtle Beach PX21
Tritton AX Pro 
Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Omega (don't think this one has been released yet)

Read this.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #2,197 of 29,490
Thanks! Much appreciate, Maverick. I have a few more questions-- if that's alright. I'm a newbie when it comes to audio setups and I'm still not sure if I'll need an amp to power the AD700s. I'm only going to be using it on the PS3 and 360. Also, will I need an adapter to plug it into the consoles? Sorry if these are dumb questions.

[Edit]-------

I should have mentioned this earlier, but I've got this... 
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-Blu-ray-Home-Theater-System-HTS3051BV-F7/15261168?sourceid=1500000000000003142050&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=15261168
... home theater system setup at home. Would I be able to plug the headset into that instead of getting an amp?

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #2,198 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks! Much appreciate, Maverick. I have a few more questions-- if that's alright. I'm a newbie when it comes to audio setups and I'm still not sure if I'll need an amp to power the AD700s. I'm only going to be using it on the PS3 and 360. Also, will I need an adapter to plug it into the consoles? Sorry if these are dumb questions.

[Edit]-------

I should have mentioned this earlier, but I've got this... 
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-Blu-ray-Home-Theater-System-HTS3051BV-F7/15261168?sourceid=1500000000000003142050&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=15261168
... home theater system setup at home. Would I be able to plug the headset into that instead of getting an amp?

If its got a headphone jack then sure.  The AD700s aren't supposed to be hard to drive.  You may want to look into something like the Astro Mixamp or a receiver with a Dolby Headphone DSP option if you want to keep the surround sound though.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #2,199 of 29,490
Hi I am looking for a pair of closed cans ~£200 (plus or minus £25) there are a hell of alot of headphones on the market at around this price point, so I would like some peoples opinions on some cans; I know no pair of cans are ever going to do everything I want them to do at this price point but I think there are so many perhaps I can be a bit picky. I would also like to audition some cans, but have no Idea how I would go about this. I will list the following in order of importance; (ps, I don't like IEMs)

1. Isolation, I only really use headphones for portable rig (prefer loudspeakers at home) so this is like number one, I want to be able to block out noise on trains/buses etc.
2. Build quality; I want to be able to lug them around in a bag without fear of damaging them.
3. Slightly rolled off highs - I don't like bright highs, but I do like a lush mid-range.
4. Deep bass, I listen to electronic music mostly alot of bass music, so bass extention is quite important, but nothing too bloated.
5. Good detail and soundstaging, would be nice when I listen to classical (occasionally) or doing critical listening.
6. Not too bothered if i can run it amped or unamped, would probably prefer a portable head-amp to get the most of out my cans.
7. Looks nice, superficial I know, this is probably the most subjective catagory but I don't want too look like too much of a dork :)

Thanks in advance x

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #2,200 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi I am looking for a pair of closed cans ~£200 (plus or minus £25) there are a hell of alot of headphones on the market at around this price point, so I would like some peoples opinions on some cans; I know no pair of cans are ever going to do everything I want them to do at this price point but I think there are so many perhaps I can be a bit picky. I would also like to audition some cans, but have no Idea how I would go about this. I will list the following in order of importance; (ps, I don't like IEMs)

1. Isolation, I only really use headphones for portable rig (prefer loudspeakers at home) so this is like number one, I want to be able to block out noise on trains/buses etc.
2. Build quality; I want to be able to lug them around in a bag without fear of damaging them.
3. Slightly rolled off highs - I don't like bright highs, but I do like a lush mid-range.
4. Deep bass, I listen to electronic music mostly alot of bass music, so bass extention is quite important, but nothing too bloated.
5. Good detail and soundstaging, would be nice when I listen to classical (occasionally) or doing critical listening.
6. Not too bothered if i can run it amped or unamped, would probably prefer a portable head-amp to get the most of out my cans.
7. Looks nice, superficial I know, this is probably the most subjective catagory but I don't want too look like too much of a dork :)

Thanks in advance x

Perhaps the Phiaton MS400, Shure SRH750DJ, or Ultrasone HFI-580/DJ1 headphones will fit your criteria. People tend to recommend the Shure SRH840 headphones for beginners too but I'm not too fond of their weight and size.

I've listened to the 750DJ's briefly and they sounded really nice for bass.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #2,201 of 29,490
Hello. Im trying to start my entry into the world of good audio, and I need some advice.

Would HA-RX900` benefit at all from a FiiO E5 amp (or similar) when being powerd by a Sansa Clip+ ?
Enough to justify $22? Normally I wouldn`t ask, but Im on a tight budget.

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #2,202 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks in advance x

The best isolation I've ever heard from full sized cans:
1) Beyerdynamic DT770 (the pro models clamp harder and isolate better, but aren't quite as comfortable)
- there are also leather and gel pads you can buy separately, which of which provides increasing isolation
- good bass, good soundstage, these things are huge and not very portable
2) Sennheiser HD280pro
- great isolation, collapses, fairly tough, very flat frequency response, might not satisfy a basshead
3) Sennheiser HD25
- very tough, does not collapse but does "shrink" a bit
- good bass, but the treble is a bit strong too
4) Phiaton MS400
- great bass, rolled off treble, collapses into a nice small case, overall build is nice but delicate compared to the others in this list
5) Shure 840
- collapses (sort of), good strong bass and decent soundstage, mellow highs, very good isolation, not the most comfortable
6) Pioneer HDJ-2000
- great build quality, looks good, collapses, good isolation, relatively flat frequency response

Quote:
Hello. Im trying to start my entry into the world of good audio, and I need some advice.

Would HA-RX900` benefit at all from a FiiO E5 amp (or similar) when being powerd by a Sansa Clip+ ?
Enough to justify $22? Normally I wouldn`t ask, but Im on a tight budget.

If you need a volume boost from the clip+, then the E5 is a good budget amp. If you get sufficient volume, then don't bother and save your money for moving a step up down the road.

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #2,203 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks in advance x

The only headphone I can think of that can meet most of your criteria are SRH840 (isolate well, are foldable and tough, do have rolled off highs, powerful but perhaps not the deepest bass, amazing detail, decent soundstage and work well with portable amps).  However they are massive and you will look like a huge dork.  And some people find them uncomfortable but I don't.  You might consider waiting for the SRH940, which look a little better and could be more comfortable.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #2,205 of 29,490
Hi! I am a DJ and recently a turned audiophile. I have been using M-50's as my DJ headphones and as my setup, using an E7 or cmoyBBv2. However, I am ready to make the next step up the ladder as I really love the quality of sound of things like my KRK Rockit 8 and 10S studio setup in my room but I cannot translate that to any location other than my room obviously, and I hunger for something above my M-50's for non-portable listening.

Music tastes: Dubstep, DnB, House, Electro, Breakbeat, Hip-Hop, and sometimes Jazz and Classical, but more rarely.
I want a headphone (closed preferably but I am not going to care that much as I assume these are going to be high impedance cans that do not leave my room at all most likely.
I like my bass present and completely true to lower melodies, fast and crisp, but I do not want it overpoweringly loud. I want mids that are clear and not forward, maybe a tad bright, to emphasize loops in the above genres. Highs can maybe roll off a bit as long as they are sharp, I am not crazy particular but don't want them metallic or hissy. Vocals also must be clear.
My budget is around 400-600. I am willing to buy an E9 but I am not super amped (sorry) about having to buy an expensive amp. I would rather avoid having to buy a tube amp or anything that will cost me over 200. I have looked at AKG 702's and Denon D7000's, as well as the 600 Ohm BT 880's and 990's.

My only beef with my M-50's is that sometimes they feel a bit analytical and lax with hip-hop. When I listen to jazz or slower music I like analytical sound but usually I prefer just a bit of "spirit" if that makes sense. Thank you for your help in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back