++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 14, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #2,161 of 29,490
I know that the A700 have the wind system as all of the ATs. In what ways do the A700 have a echo-y soundstage, because they are closed and not open? It is a hard decision since both sound like excellent headphones as both have impressive specifications for their price range. Which would you recommend and would be the best for your money?  

Quote:
It's really difficult to comment on specific comfort because everyone's heads are shaped differently. The wing system isn't for everybody and admittedly takes a bit of getting used to if you've never tried them before. Overall, I would say the winged headbands are more comfortable, but they also create a sense of "bigness" around your head so the sensation of that may affect your comfort.

The A700 do not clamp very hard, so there is some leakage but it is minimal. The 750DJ are better in tha regard.

The mids are better on the A700, the highs are better on the 750DJ.

General sound of the A700 is light and airy (that's basically how I describe most AT headphones, except for the M50). The Shure 750DJ is a heavy hitter.

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #2,162 of 29,490

Quote:
I know that the A700 have the wind system as all of the ATs. In what ways do the A700 have a echo-y soundstage, because they are closed and not open? It is a hard decision since both sound like excellent headphones as both have impressive specifications for their price range. Which would you recommend and would be the best for your money?  

The A700 feels spacious, but the timing of the resonance/decay makes it feel a bit hollow, like an empty room with echo. All closed headphones have this to an extent; it just depends how big that room sounds. The A700 sounds big but empty, the 750DJ sounds smaller but not empty, does that make sense?

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #2,163 of 29,490
I was thinking about which cans to buy for a few weeks. I came to conclusion that i wan´t the T1´s, but then i backed down a bit on the budget and ordered HD600 + Lehmann Rhinelander instead. I figured it´s better to start slow, and not to overdo from the start. But how you guys figure, is there point to be on lookout for cable upgrades / do modding on the HD600, is it "cost benefit" at all? From the few sources i read i think the pairing on cans and amp should be pretty ok?

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #2,164 of 29,490
Yes it does. Most all closed headphones do because they "trap" the sound in because the sound has no where to escape to. A part of the "bigness" is in part of size of the headphone. I have heard that both sound "too analytical". 

The A700 have 53 mm drivers so you'd think that they'd have bigger bass but I guess it's not the case.
Quote:
The A700 feels spacious, but the timing of the resonance/decay makes it feel a bit hollow, like an empty room with echo. All closed headphones have this to an extent; it just depends how big that room sounds. The A700 sounds big but empty, the 750DJ sounds smaller but not empty, does that make sense?

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #2,165 of 29,490
What dac for my gilmore lite and MS2i's??? 400 or less budget...

dacmagic my best option? Or pico dac?

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #2,167 of 29,490

Quote:
Yes it does. Most all closed headphones do because they "trap" the sound in because the sound has no where to escape to. A part of the "bigness" is in part of size of the headphone. I have heard that both sound "too analytical". 

The A700 have 53 mm drivers so you'd think that they'd have bigger bass but I guess it's not the case.

Driver size helps I'm sure, but I would say the enclosure design and damping has a bigger effect on soundstage. I've never heard the 750 or A700 described as "analytical" though. Then gain, I used to own a pair of DT48e... so everything sorta pales in comparison.

Quote:

You're going to have to be way more specific...
portable or desktop?
ac power or usb power?
optical?
dac only?
do you want balanced for the future?

Quote:
Sweet jesus this is the fastest growing thread I've seen. Thanks to the guys that keep it running.

It's kinda crazy when I respond to a half dozen posts in the morning, then when I check after work there's another 30 waiting... eep!

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #2,168 of 29,490
I'd like a dedicated DAC since I have the gilmore lite already. AC or usb power is fine, but AC prefered, optical and usb input, balanced maybe but not that important as long as I get below my budget. Also, at least 24/192.

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #2,169 of 29,490
Hello all.

I really didnt want to write another 'what should I get' thread, but did so before seeing this thread. I dont want to derail anyone else's conversation, but I'll post here and see what happens.

Im a bit overwhelmed by the information here.

I recognize that different headphones are better suited to different types of music. Much of the music I listen to is Trance or House, or other club music, but also some rock and alternative (essentially, no Rap, R&B or Country), but I lack the technical understanding to know from reading a review whether a specific pair of headphones will be suitable for what I want.

I do not seek to become an audiophile of the highest order. I cant afford it, to be honest. Also, from some stuff Ive seen, I think I would be limiting my quality anyway. First, my intent is to listen to music on an iPhone. I need a new phone, so I passed up getting a Touch and am waiting on the iPhone 5. (I presume they would output the same quality.) I travel a fair bit, so I need something portable and not easily broken. Im not certain, but I understand that mp3 players arnt the best for quality sound, nor is the mp3 format. Ive heard that FLAC is better, but it isnt available to me because the majority of the music I listen to is foreign and available to me only as a downloaded mp3. So, given that I want to use an iPhone with regular mp3s, I suspect that some headphones/amps might be too good for my intended use. While I dont want to spend a ton of money, I would also like to avoid getting something that cant be fully appreciated. Of course, these are assumptions, and I am here hoping to either have them confirmed or rejected.

So, with this said, I was hoping to spend about 800$ for a headphone/amp combo (or less if to spend that much would be overkill.) Having looked at a number of headphones, the Sennheiser HD650s have caught my eye. For use with an iPod, they apparently require an amp, however. In all honesty, I had never even heard of headphone amps prior to reading about these bigger headphones. So, in people's opinion, are the HD650s suitable to my needs? Or is there something more suitable? Are the HD650s heavy?

I know this is the headphone forum, but if anyone could include some words of advice with regards to amps, I'd appreciate it greatly. I saw the recent article about TTVJ's portable slim amp, and it reads like the thing is awesome. At the same time, Ive seen amps at half the cost. So, I guess the biggest question for me is what should I be looking both in terms of price and features? Im not one who loves to spend money needlessly, but I will spend it where needed.

I apologize for being another new guy asking new-guy questions. I would really appreciate the feedback that anyone can give.

Thanks a million.

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #2,170 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all.

I really didnt want to write another 'what should I get' thread, but did so before seeing this thread. I dont want to derail anyone else's conversation, but I'll post here and see what happens.

Im a bit overwhelmed by the information here.

I recognize that different headphones are better suited to different types of music. Much of the music I listen to is Trance or House, or other club music, but also some rock and alternative (essentially, no Rap, R&B or Country), but I lack the technical understanding to know from reading a review whether a specific pair of headphones will be suitable for what I want.

I do not seek to become an audiophile of the highest order. I cant afford it, to be honest. Also, from some stuff Ive seen, I think I would be limiting my quality anyway. First, my intent is to listen to music on an iPhone. I need a new phone, so I passed up getting a Touch and am waiting on the iPhone 5. (I presume they would output the same quality.) I travel a fair bit, so I need something portable and not easily broken. Im not certain, but I understand that mp3 players arnt the best for quality sound, nor is the mp3 format. Ive heard that FLAC is better, but it isnt available to me because the majority of the music I listen to is foreign and available to me only as a downloaded mp3. So, given that I want to use an iPhone with regular mp3s, I suspect that some headphones/amps might be too good for my intended use. While I dont want to spend a ton of money, I would also like to avoid getting something that cant be fully appreciated. Of course, these are assumptions, and I am here hoping to either have them confirmed or rejected.

So, with this said, I was hoping to spend about 800$ for a headphone/amp combo (or less if to spend that much would be overkill.) Having looked at a number of headphones, the Sennheiser HD650s have caught my eye. For use with an iPod, they apparently require an amp, however. In all honesty, I had never even heard of headphone amps prior to reading about these bigger headphones. So, in people's opinion, are the HD650s suitable to my needs? Or is there something more suitable? Are the HD650s heavy?

I know this is the headphone forum, but if anyone could include some words of advice with regards to amps, I'd appreciate it greatly. I saw the recent article about TTVJ's portable slim amp, and it reads like the thing is awesome. At the same time, Ive seen amps at half the cost. So, I guess the biggest question for me is what should I be looking both in terms of price and features? Im not one who loves to spend money needlessly, but I will spend it where needed.

I apologize for being another new guy asking new-guy questions. I would really appreciate the feedback that anyone can give.

Thanks a million.

Is there a reason your were considering a portable amp and player?  Is this going to be used on the go?  The HD650 would be a bad choice for that because its "open" so it lets sound leak in and out.

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #2,171 of 29,490

Quote:

Dacmagic (which I own and love) and vdac are two inexpensive dacs that people really like.  The latter has been said to be a touch brighter, so I avoided it since I have lots of bright headphones.  Both have many input options & dacmagic has option for balanced output and filter settings for slightly different signatures.  I preferred the DacMagic to a D10 via optical inputs, but cannot say if it is better than a Lavry DA11, which costs 3x more.  For fun, check out the dac comparison thread in the sound science section- I'm having a devil of a time choosing the 'better' sound from a $130 dac and a $1500 dac.

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #2,172 of 29,490

Quote:
I was thinking about which cans to buy for a few weeks. I came to conclusion that i wan´t the T1´s, but then i backed down a bit on the budget and ordered HD600 + Lehmann Rhinelander instead. I figured it´s better to start slow, and not to overdo from the start. But how you guys figure, is there point to be on lookout for cable upgrades / do modding on the HD600, is it "cost benefit" at all? From the few sources i read i think the pairing on cans and amp should be pretty ok?

Great headphone choice.  The first few pages of this thread have some great & inexpensive amp recommendations for the HD600 (haven't heard the amp you're asking about).  I much prefer a very neutral SS amp & dac for my HD600 - anything warm (most tubes, uDac) makes them sound a little syrupy.

And forget recabling - the perceived sound improvements have never survived a blind test.

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #2,173 of 29,490

Quote:
Is there a reason your were considering a portable amp and player?  Is this going to be used on the go?  The HD650 would be a bad choice for that because its "open" so it lets sound leak in and out.

I know that the majority of my music will be played from a portable device. Its not 100% of the time, but certainly most of it. If I dont need an amp, I wont buy one, its just that I thought any good pair of full headphones would require one since an iPhone/iPod wouldnt put out enough power. Correct me if Im wrong, of course! Im not in a big rush to purchase anything. I want to find the right thing. I do intend to use them on the go. Not so much day to day travel; Ill be using them at home most of the time, but when I travel abroad (which happens regularly, but not overly often) I would be using them on the plane, and wherever Im living out of. So, sound leak would be something to avoid. Without asking what specifically I should get, can you give me some direction? Something I should look at, or something less specific I should search for?

Thanks for the reply!

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #2,174 of 29,490
Quote:
I know that the majority of my music will be played from a portable device. Its not 100% of the time, but certainly most of it. If I dont need an amp, I wont buy one, its just that I thought any good pair of full headphones would require one since an iPhone/iPod wouldnt put out enough power. Correct me if Im wrong, of course! Im not in a big rush to purchase anything. I want to find the right thing. I do intend to use them on the go. Not so much day to day travel; Ill be using them at home most of the time, but when I travel abroad (which happens regularly, but not overly often) I would be using them on the plane, and wherever Im living out of. So, sound leak would be something to avoid. Without asking what specifically I should get, can you give me some direction? Something I should look at, or something less specific I should search for?

Thanks for the reply!

In that case you'd probably want something closed and semi-portable (not gigantic and reasonably tough).  Before you start looking at specific amps you should decide on a pair of headphones since there's no reason to buy a super-powered portable amp if your 'phones don't need it.  Just about any headphone you pick should benefit from benefit from an amp plugged into an iDevice's line out which is generally regarded as being higher quality than its headphone out.

If you want maximum isolation (without switching to active noise cancellation or IEMs) and a fairly balanced sound then the Beyerdynaminc DT770 (600 ohm version) is a good choice.  The gel pads that Beyer sells as separate accessories give it the best isolation I've heard in a full size 'phone and add a little bass as well.  It would need a fairly powerful amp to go with it, but everything you need should come in at under your maximum budget.  The 250 ohm version of the 770s has more bass than the 600s and wouldn't need quite as strong an amp but they might have too much bass after you add the gel pads.  The DT770s even come with a nice travel case.

The only other headphones that otherwise come to mind as recommendations seem a little to fragile to travel with to me so that's all I've got for now.

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #2,175 of 29,490
Which of the two would you say is a better overall pick as each as its own technologies behind it ie 50 vs 53 mm drivers, both have closed backs but one has a Double Air Damping System, both have Neodymium drivers, the Shures are more sensitive, the frequency range is higher on the Audio Technica's,  the Shures have a lower Impedance, etc.

Shures 750DJs

[size=1em] Transducer type
Dynamic neodymium magnet 
[/size]

[size=1em] Driver size
50 mm 
[/size]

[size=1em] Sensitivity (1kHz)
106 dB/mW 
[/size]

[size=1em] Impedance (1kHz)
32 Ω 
[/size]

[size=1em] Max. input Power
3000 mW 
[/size]

[size=1em] Frequency range
5 Hz - 30 kHz 
[/size]

[size=1em] Net weight (without cable)
8 oz. (227 g) 
[/size]

[size=1em] Shipping weight
24.8 oz. (703 g) 
[/size]

[size=1em] Length of cable
3 meters (9.84 ft) 
[/size]

[size=1em] Type of cable
Detachable coiled oxygen-free copper 
[/size]

[size=1em] Plug
Gold-plated 1/8" (3.5 mm) stereo mini jack
[/size]

[size=1em]  [/size]

[size=1em] Audio-Technica's ATH-A700:[/size]

1. Audiophile-quality headphones with metallic finish
  2. Closed-back Double Air Damping System for deep bass reproduction
  3. Propriety large-aperture 53 mm drivers with neodymium magnet systems and CCAW voice coils for superior sound reproduction
  4. Self-adjusting 3D Wing Support Housing provides comfortable support for a more enjoyable listening experience
  5. OFC (oxygen-free copper) cloth-wrapped cable
  6. Ear pads featuring A-T’s ultra-comfortable total ear fitting design
  7. Gold-plated stereo 1/8" (3.5 mm) connector with 1/4" (6.3 mm) adapter

[th]
SPECIFICATIONS​
[/th]​
[td]
TYPE​
[/td] [td]
Closed-back Dynamic, Double Air Damping System​
[/td]​
[td]
DRIVER DIAMETER​
[/td] [td]
53 mm​
[/td]​
[td]
MAGNET​
[/td] [td]
Neodymium​
[/td]​
[td]
VOICE COIL​
[/td] [td]
Copper-clad aluminum wire​
[/td]​
[td]
FREQUENCY RESPONSE​
[/td] [td]
5 – 35,000 Hz​
[/td]​
[td]
MAXIMUM INPUT POWER​
[/td] [td]
500 mW​
[/td]​
[td]
SENSITIVITY​
[/td] [td]
102 dB/mW at 1 kHz​
[/td]​
[td]
IMPEDANCE​
[/td] [td]
64 ohms​
[/td]​
[td]
WEIGHT​
[/td] [td]
290 g​
[/td]​
[td]
CABLE​
[/td] [td]
3.0 m cloth sheath (OFC)​
[/td]​
[td]
CONNECTOR​
[/td] [td]
1/8" (3.5 mm) mini stereo, gold-plated​
[/td]​
[td]
ACCESSORY INCLUDED​
[/td] [td]
Detachable 1/4" (6.3 mm) adapter​
[/td]​

Quote:
Driver size helps I'm sure, but I would say the enclosure design and damping has a bigger effect on soundstage. I've never heard the 750 or A700 described as "analytical" though. Then gain, I used to own a pair of DT48e... so everything sorta pales in comparison.

You're going to have to be way more specific...
portable or desktop?
ac power or usb power?
optical?
dac only?
do you want balanced for the future?

It's kinda crazy when I respond to a half dozen posts in the morning, then when I check after work there's another 30 waiting... eep!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back