++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 15, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #2,176 of 29,490
I really don't know what else to tell you man... the only thing left to do is try one out before buying.

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #2,177 of 29,490
In any case, I would like to thank you for helping me decide on my next headphone choice. You have been a great help. I'm leaning towards the A700 because they are comfy and have a well rounded sound signature but I like the isolation and bass on the 750DJ, I'll think some more on the two and sleep on it.

Thank you again.

Quote:
I really don't know what else to tell you man... the only thing left to do is try one out before buying.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #2,178 of 29,490

Quote:
I am planning to buy full sized open back headphone such as grado's. My budget is under 200 USD. I am using it to be connected to my PC. 
Most of my songs are in FLAC or APE formats so the only donwside is on my soundcard but I'm planning to improve it somehow either by buying ASUS XONAR or buy DAC (still hasn't made up my mind regarding this)
I listen to rock n roll, blues rock, jazz hard rock, and a bit of metal

any suggestion on what headphone I should set my eye upon?

can anyone here help me please? thank you :)

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #2,179 of 29,490

What is your guys opinion on the following headphones?:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 M

Beyerdynamic DT 860 Edition

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Edition (32 Ohms)
Beyerdynamic DT 660
Beyerdynamic DT 1350

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #2,180 of 29,490

Quote:
can anyone here help me please? thank you :)

Without a full-sized amp- Grado SR225.  Do a thread search & people will sing its praises.  HF-1 improved upon the bass and treble substantially by putting the driver in a wooden cup (and I've read the same about HF-2), but those will cost more.  the uDac is a very nice dac for the price with a warm signature that I find mates extremely well with grados (better, for example than a Lavry that costs 10x more).

If you can put an amp between the dac and the headphones (even an old stereo could do nicely)- HD600.  SR225 are more fun, but they have an intensity that can get tiring if you listen at anything beyond a low to moderate volume.  Get comfie pads for them if you find them bright.  HD600 are good all-rounders, and I find that they do amazingly well with jazz and classical due to their great positioning and overall balance.  With rock they are a little dull, but you might never know that until you a/b them with a Grado. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #2,181 of 29,490
I have a question guys... So I've ordered the Ultrasone PRO 2500's along with the Fiio E7 and E9 combo.

Obviously I connect the headphones to the amp then to my computer/iPod... But do I need one of these cables to connect to my iPod?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Line-Out-Cable-iPod/dp/B003XEKM3K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300211118&sr=1-1

Or will one be supplied with the amp? Seems strange if it isn't... And if one is supplied, why the need to buy something like above??? 
And is there anything I need apart from the headphones and the Fiio combo to listen to my music? Sorry I know I'm such an amateur!

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #2,182 of 29,490
Yes, you need that adapter to bypass the headphone amplifier (internal), volume control and associated circuitry in the iPod and get a line-level audio signal directly to your amp.

The one you linked to is fine if the iPod and amp are going to be physically contiguous and oriented so the little pigtail wire is long enough to reach from the amp to the bottom of the iPod where the dock will be situated.

Otherwise, this is the more general solution...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Micro-USB-Line-Out-Adapter/dp/B003PVSZ80/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1300211483&sr=1-3

providing a female 3.2mm minijack (and as a bonus, providing a mini-USB connector so you can charge and listen to your iPod simultaneously). The idea is to use a separate 3.2mm-to-3.2mm male-to-male patch cord (provided with the Pocketdock I linked to) of appropriate length to reach from iPod to amp is they are separately located.

Does that make any sense at all?

P.S. It is no supplied partly because they save a couple quid by leaving it out and partly because we have various preferences as to exactly what kind of dock and pigtail or patch cord we prefer. But you've got the basic setup correct. The iPod connnects to amp with a LOD and cable and the headphone plugs into the amp directly. Then it's just music to your ears!

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #2,183 of 29,490

Quote:
Yes, you need that adapter to bypass the headphone amplifier (internal), volume control and associated circuitry in the iPod and get a line-level audio signal directly to your amp.

The one you linked to is fine if the iPod and amp are going to be physically contiguous and oriented so the little pigtail wire is long enough to reach from the amp to the bottom of the iPod where the dock will be situated.

Otherwise, this is the more general solution...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Micro-USB-Line-Out-Adapter/dp/B003PVSZ80/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1300211483&sr=1-3

providing a female 3.2mm minijack (and as a bonus, providing a mini-USB connector so you can charge and listen to your iPod simultaneously). The idea is to use a separate 3.2mm-to-3.2mm male-to-male patch cord (provided with the Pocketdock I linked to) of appropriate length to reach from iPod to amp is they are separately located.

Does that make any sense at all?

P.S. It is no supplied partly because they save a couple quid by leaving it out and partly because we have various preferences as to exactly what kind of dock and pigtail or patch cord we prefer. But you've got the basic setup correct. The iPod connnects to amp with a LOD and cable and the headphone plugs into the amp directly. Then it's just music to your ears!

Thank you very much for your reply, much appreciated.

Yes, I think because I mostly listen in my room whilst on the computer it is not a problem that the iPod/Computer and amp need to be near each other - the fact that the headphones themselves will have a 3 metre cable will be enough length to get from my computer/iPod to my head just about wherever I sit in my room, on my desk or bed etc.

As for whether it all makes sense, if not, that is completely my fault and not yours because you explained it perfectly, it's just this is my first time attempting anything like this let alone purchasing £50+ audio equipment (Headphones, amps etc)

So yeah when everything arrives I will set it all up and if I still have some questions I will ask on here, thanks again :)

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #2,184 of 29,490
And unlike the rest of your gear, if you decide you want a little dock-thingy different from the one you start with you're only out like seven pounds (equivalent to about US$2,500 when last I checked).:xf_eek:

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #2,185 of 29,490
Or about 3 kilos, either or
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #2,186 of 29,490

Quote:

What is your guys opinion on the following headphones?:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 M

Beyerdynamic DT 860 Edition

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Edition (32 Ohms)
Beyerdynamic DT 660
Beyerdynamic DT 1350

The 770M is a drummer headphone with high isolation and not really something used for casual listening.

The 770 is well respected around these parts. I haven't heard the 660 or 1350 so I can't help you there.

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #2,187 of 29,490

Quote:
In that case you'd probably want something closed and semi-portable (not gigantic and reasonably tough).  Before you start looking at specific amps you should decide on a pair of headphones since there's no reason to buy a super-powered portable amp if your 'phones don't need it.  Just about any headphone you pick should benefit from benefit from an amp plugged into an iDevice's line out which is generally regarded as being higher quality than its headphone out.

If you want maximum isolation (without switching to active noise cancellation or IEMs) and a fairly balanced sound then the Beyerdynaminc DT770 (600 ohm version) is a good choice.  The gel pads that Beyer sells as separate accessories give it the best isolation I've heard in a full size 'phone and add a little bass as well.  It would need a fairly powerful amp to go with it, but everything you need should come in at under your maximum budget.  The 250 ohm version of the 770s has more bass than the 600s and wouldn't need quite as strong an amp but they might have too much bass after you add the gel pads.  The DT770s even come with a nice travel case.

The only other headphones that otherwise come to mind as recommendations seem a little to fragile to travel with to me so that's all I've got for now.

The DT770-600 seems to review fairly well and Im quite surprised at their price-point. They seem a lot cheaper than other sets Ive seen. That isnt necessarily a bad thing, of course! I know they need an amp, which is fine by me, but are there any drawbacks that you know of, or any reason for the lower price? You said that there are others you wouldnt recommend as they are unsuitable for travel. Are decent/good headphones plus traveling a combination that doesnt go together very well?

Knowing that I would need an amp for sure, what things should I look for in one? (I know this is the wrong forum, but I hope it'll slide...) I dont mind going slightly higher end if there is something gained for it, especially considering the price of the the DT770-600s.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate your time!

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #2,188 of 29,490
Placed my order for the Ultrasone PRO 2500's only to get an email saying they were sold out :frowning2:

So now I'm not sure whether to wait or to get the same specs on the closed version of it, the 750?

Could someone give me the brief pro's and con's of closed and open, I know open leaks more but anything else that is really different?
And seeing as they have the same specs, will they really sound different that much? In what way?

Thanks.

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #2,189 of 29,490
What is the sound signature on the 770? How are its lows, mids, and highs? The 1350s are new and have Beyerdynamics new Tesla transducer technology which looks promising.

Quote:
The 770M is a drummer headphone with high isolation and not really something used for casual listening.

The 770 is well respected around these parts. I haven't heard the 660 or 1350 so I can't help you there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back