++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 27, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #1,801 of 29,490
The HD280 are a perfectly fine headphone and will suit your needs. A little more upscale and comfortable (but more $)  would be the HD380.

The K81DJ are not very comfortable though have great isolation) and the EW9 are clip-ons (did you mean the ESW9?)

The remaining three all fit your criteria. Best to try them out if you can, and pick one within your budget. The HD25 are supraaural rather than circumaural, which might make a difference for you.

Unfortunately I won't be able to try the majority of these headphones out. Are the HD25-1 really worth it? I know some people on head-fi really love them but I'm still a little unsure about them. They are completely plastic... and I get the impression that they cant get taken around in a backpack very easily? Also in terms of sound/build etc are they really worth the extra cost over the competition?

The DNHP700 are one of my current top considerations, but are they relatively portable? I won't really be walking around with them on with a ipod or anything, but can they be easily taken around to watch and listen to things on my laptop, phone, etc? I also see that they have a coiled cable... will that become a problem?

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #1,802 of 29,490
hi
after digging through some threads and posting in this thread i have chosen sony mdr v6. unfortunately, in Poland they turned out to be pretty expensive. from what i heard, sennheiser hd 280 pro are somewhat similar to v6's, what about hd 380?
i'm looking for something that is rather neutral, but with nice bass - i'd like my dub techno and drone music to sound good on them, but on the other hand i like to listen to some guitar music too.

Feb 27, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #1,803 of 29,490
Hi I'm looking for open (full-size obviously) headphones that I can mod with a boom-mic. I've narrowed it down to ATH-AD700 or ATH-AD500 I have a friend with a W5000(or W2000 I can't remember what it's called). He can order another driver for me so I can mod that aswell. I was wondering what the differences are if the driver has been replaced.

Feb 27, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #1,804 of 29,490
Quote:
Unfortunately I won't be able to try the majority of these headphones out. Are the HD25-1 really worth it? I know some people on head-fi really love them but I'm still a little unsure about them. They are completely plastic... and I get the impression that they cant get taken around in a backpack very easily? Also in terms of sound/build etc are they really worth the extra cost over the competition?

The DNHP700 are one of my current top considerations, but are they relatively portable? I won't really be walking around with them on with a ipod or anything, but can they be easily taken around to watch and listen to things on my laptop, phone, etc? I also see that they have a coiled cable... will that become a problem?

The HD25s are made for doing audio work out in "the field" so they're quite tough and easy to repair.

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #1,805 of 29,490

Quote:
Consider: Sennheiser PX 360.  You can find my review in the link in my signature.

While I may have been a bit harsh on them sonically speaking, it doesn't take away that they are a quality headphone, just not my taste.  They'll definitely have the low end and extended treble for pop music.  The design is awesome and they are super portable.  I suggest at least giving them a look, as the isolation is the best I have heard on a passive set.

Hm interesting. I'll have to look more into these headphones. I actually haven't heard too much about these. Thanks for the suggestion/review though. :)

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #1,806 of 29,490
Hey guys. Looking for help deciding between Alessandro MS2's and Beyerdynamic DT250's. Sadly no shop near me (Canberra, Australia) has these to audition so i'm looking for opinions here. They're roughly the same price from Aussie online stores. 

- Primary genres: Electronic, Metal, Rock, Indie
- Source: PC (headphone out), iPod Classic, iPhone
- Listening Environment: Mostly home, so not really bothered about open vs closed.
- Prev audio equipment: SuperFi5 (non-pro) IEMs. Tried out Senn 558's and 598's, didn't really like them. 558 were okay but nothing special imo, and I found the 598 kind of boomy in the midrange.

People have described the MS2 as being 'harsh' and fatiguing because of the treble i think? I quite like strong treble (though not at the expense of the other ranges) and I'm a fan of the V-shaped EQ so I think they might suit me. The DT250's have been described as a great all-rounder, which is good considering a listen to a lot of different styles of music.

Ideally I'd love to try both but as i said nowhere near me has them to audition... :frowning2:

Cheers

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #1,807 of 29,490
Hey bros, I am a super noob here.  I just purchased a new Macbook Pro, and I'm looking to pick up a pair of headphones.  I don't want to spend more than $100, but if I have to spend an extra $20 for something that much better, I am not opposed to it.  I would like some type of isolating ear cup.  I listen to a variety of music.  Rock, Jambands, indie rock, and rap.  

I couldn't tell you what I was expecting out of the headphones.  Something that sounds good and doesn't cost a fortune.  

I'm assuming the ATH-M50 is the way to go, no questions asked.  This is based on research and scouring through this thread.  

Any help would be wonderful. 

Also, if I get the ATH-M50, I want to pay $120...how do I assure I don't buy a fake at that price. 

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #1,808 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey bros, I am a super noob here.  I just purchased a new Macbook Pro, and I'm looking to pick up a pair of headphones.  I don't want to spend more than $100, but if I have to spend an extra $20 for something that much better, I am not opposed to it.  I would like some type of isolating ear cup.  I listen to a variety of music.  Rock, Jambands, indie rock, and rap.  

I couldn't tell you what I was expecting out of the headphones.  Something that sounds good and doesn't cost a fortune.  

I'm assuming the ATH-M50 is the way to go, no questions asked.  This is based on research and scouring through this thread.  

Any help would be wonderful. 

Also, if I get the ATH-M50, I want to pay $120...how do I assure I don't buy a fake at that price. 

Is there any reason they need to have isolation? I think you might like the Denon D1001, not to be confused with the D1100, but they don't particularly isolate well.

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #1,809 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

Is there any reason they need to have isolation? I think you might like the Denon D1001, not to be confused with the D1100, but they don't particularly isolate well.

I guess I'm saying what I want wrong.  I want something that completely goes over my ears, not rests on my ears.  I know buying headphones in a specific price range is 99% of the time a preference kind of thing.  I would also rather not have the open air headphones that are loud when in public.  I can't be that guy. 

Those Denon's look nice, but the people in the know consistently seem to rave about those Audio Technica headphones.  I'm not saying you aren't in the know, I'm saying I haven't head much (anything) about them. I don't care about the $40 if they're that much better. 

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #1,811 of 29,490
Well sound is pretty subjective, what may sound the best sound to him may be a noise to you.
You also may want to extend your budget a bit and look at the shure srh750dj's too or the v-moda crossfades though i've heard the m50 is better than the crossfade

Quote:
I guess I'm saying what I want wrong.  I want something that completely goes over my ears, not rests on my ears.  I know buying headphones in a specific price range is 99% of the time a preference kind of thing.  I would also rather not have the open air headphones that are loud when in public.  I can't be that guy. 

Those Denon's look nice, but the people in the know consistently seem to rave about those Audio Technica headphones.  I'm not saying you aren't in the know, I'm saying I haven't head much (anything) about them. I don't care about the $40 if they're that much better. 

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #1,812 of 29,490
Hi, I joined a while ago when I was looking for a headphone but I was so dead set on an ES7, so much that I didn't wanna do anything to get my decision swayed =P
But the plague has hit me and now the time hath cometh to succumb to the upgradetitis.
Except this time I've pretty much decided on an ATH-ESW9 - portable, closed, comfortable, & sexier. (the main reason being the comfortable part, my head probably shrank 5mm because of the ES7)
I'm going to use them mainly for commuting & work, been using iems but I missed the soundstage from cans.

The question is, anyone have any idea where can I get them delivered to Australia, for under $300?

1. I've checked beachcamera/amazon - $214 but delivery $80-$100
  2. headphones.com.au - $350 free delivery
  3. I found one on ebay, $250 but the guy didn't know whether it was genuine or not, when I asked him to check for the blue coils, he didn't wanna take the padding off - fair enough but I didn't want to take the risk
  4. accessoryjack.com - $275 - best option so far but not sure if they're genuine or not?

Any info on this would be much appreciated! (I would post a WTB but I don't qualify)

(and sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section, I am open for suggestions on other headphones but you would have to be really really convincing to get me off the audio technica wagon)

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #1,813 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys. Looking for help deciding between Alessandro MS2's and Beyerdynamic DT250's. Sadly no shop near me (Canberra, Australia) has these to audition so i'm looking for opinions here. They're roughly the same price from Aussie online stores. 

- Primary genres: Electronic, Metal, Rock, Indie
- Source: PC (headphone out), iPod Classic, iPhone
- Listening Environment: Mostly home, so not really bothered about open vs closed.
- Prev audio equipment: SuperFi5 (non-pro) IEMs. Tried out Senn 558's and 598's, didn't really like them. 558 were okay but nothing special imo, and I found the 598 kind of boomy in the midrange.

People have described the MS2 as being 'harsh' and fatiguing because of the treble i think? I quite like strong treble (though not at the expense of the other ranges) and I'm a fan of the V-shaped EQ so I think they might suit me. The DT250's have been described as a great all-rounder, which is good considering a listen to a lot of different styles of music.

Ideally I'd love to try both but as i said nowhere near me has them to audition... :frowning2:

Cheers

I really liked the DT250-250 (good across all frequencies) but as closed headphones they don't do as well as open headphones imo so I wouldn't get them unless you really need isolation.  They also need an amp to sound their best, which it sounds like you won't have.  I haven't tried the MS2, but have owned many Grados and think they are more alive, enjoyable and open-sounding than DT250, and any other closed headphone I've heard under $400.  If you do find them a bit bright, put a set of flat ear pads on them, they really cut the highs without otherwise taking away from their sound.  There are a lot of head-fiers in the Australia /nz area, I'm sure you can find a local set for sale in the fs forum, and can easily sell them there if you decide you want something else.

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #1,815 of 29,490
Hi Guys,
Looking for advice on synergy. I have only listened to the HD650's, which were nice, but could use more "air" and a little less edge in my system. I am looking for a nice pair of phones in the $300 range for mostly rock music, but to be a nice match for my equipment:

Source: Apple TV or Denon 2900 into the Benchmark DAC1 via DH Labs BNC coaxial.
The Benchmark will also be the headphone amp. I have heard that the Benchmark can be forward and not a nice match for the HD650's.

So is there a better match for the Benchmark in this price range? I know the Benchmark is also not the greatest amp, but will have to do the trick for the time being. Thanks in advance, Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back