++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 22, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #1,711 of 29,490
So I have a cowon J3 and use my new brainwavz M2 IEMs.

Now, what's as good a bargain as my M2's from a cost/performance but full size and suitable for my J3?

I'd love to own a set of Grado's but they are a bit pricey, because I love the classic style. Bonus points if they look like that, but far from a requirement.

I'm too new to this to say what kind of sound I like, but I will say I mostly listen to them on the underground train to and from work, so it's mostly a loud atmosphere.

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #1,713 of 29,490

Quote:
Purchase can be determined by the following equation: (D-C+10*B/M)^0.5 - (waf/H)^2
where...
D = your monthly disposable income
M = monthly income
C = cost of your new toy
B = "but I really want it" factor
waf = wife acceptance factor
H = hiding modifier

Quote:
LOLWUT!

Best post ever.  I got -2.635 for a very fancy set I was considering.  Does that mean I shouldn't buy them? Or maybe increase the H factor..

Did you use LaTex for that smashing?  Now the rest of you get your minds out of the gutter, it's not what you think.

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #1,714 of 29,490
Hey guys.
So I have an sflo2 and for my next cans I want to buy a pair of Sony MDR-XB700, and after some research found out that a great amp to power these is the Little Dot I+. Now would my sflo2's Line-Out enough to power the amp and headphones? Thanks!

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #1,715 of 29,490
Hi everyone Im forward to buying some new headphones but I cant decide. Im between the "Sony MDR-XB500", the "Audio-Technica ATH-M35" and the "Audio Tehcnica ATH-M30" Th three seem good headphones but I dont know which ones are the best, also the three are around the same price. 
I listen to hip hop, techno, some R&B, electronic music, and sometimes heavy metal. Please help me decide which ones are the best between those 3.

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #1,716 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi everyone Im forward to buying some new headphones but I cant decide. Im between the "Sony MDR-XB500", the "Audio-Technica ATH-M35" and the "Audio Tehcnica ATH-M30" Th three seem good headphones but I dont know which ones are the best, also the three are around the same price. 
I listen to hip hop, techno, some R&B, electronic music, and sometimes heavy metal. Please help me decide which ones are the best between those 3.

This review listed on post #1 of this thread rates and discusses in wonderful detail 2 of the 3 headphones you're asking about (along with many others that may suit you better).  Happy reading!

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #1,717 of 29,490

Quote:
Best post ever.  I got -2.635 for a very fancy set I was considering.  Does that mean I shouldn't buy them? Or maybe increase the H factor..

Did you use LaTex for that smashing?  Now the rest of you get your minds out of the gutter, it's not what you think.

Heh. Not LaTex. Just good old MS Words. 

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #1,718 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi!

So I'm looking into getting some new headphones and I wanted some input.

I currently have a pair of AKG K44s and I am very happy with them, but I feel I am outgrowing them and want something better.

The one thing I really like about the K44s is how wide the sound is.  I would like to keep this as much as possible(or improve on it, if possible!) so keep that in mind for any recommendations.

I am going directly into my computer, no amp, but I would not be against getting an amp if the combined price is still within my range as they're not going to be used on the go very much.

I'm looking for something less than $300, I was just going to grab a pair of K702s since I like the K44s so much, but I wanted to see if I could go cheaper but better for my uses, or in general what your guys' thoughts were.

I listen to mostly rock, but not your standard rock, stuff with a bit more depth to the sound.  Among my favorites are Zer07, Queens of the Stone Age, MGMT, Minus the Bear, Incubus, Radiohead, Muse and Gorillaz.  I also listen to a bit of bass-heavy type stuff(like Gorillaz, and some trip-hop).  Classical and jazz are in there quite a bit too, but I'm more worried about sound quality with the modern rock-type stuff.

I like me some bass, but I'm not sure I want to over-do it because I definitely like a balanced sound.  I like being immersed in the sound, especially when an artist gets out the 5 string bass and rides that top string, things like that.

Also, comfort is pretty important since I will be wearing these all day long(computer job).

Let me know if you need any more info

Thanks!

My general recommendation for someone who wants rock headphones with a bit more bass is an Ultrasone. Within your budget I think is the Pro 650 which has a pretty good bass. Ultrasones get a lot of love/hate though, so it would be best to try one out first.

Quote:
Would you suggest the E9 or a different amp... 

I listen to a lot of hip hop and electronic 

And does amazon not have the 80 ohm version of the 770 pros? they only seam to have the 32, 250, and 600

The E9 is a perfectly good amp; don't let the naysayers fool you.

Are you specifically looking for the 80 ohm version? The differences between all the models is honestly not very noticeable unless you extensively A/B between them and know specifically what to listen for.

Quote:
any suggestion for over the ear headphones mainly listening to techno/electronic/dubstep and some rap and classic rock for around $100?

You can probably find an M-Audio Q40 for around price. Other perennial favourites: ATH-M50, Shure 750DJ.

Quote:
Hey guys.
So I have an sflo2 and for my next cans I want to buy a pair of Sony MDR-XB700, and after some research found out that a great amp to power these is the Little Dot I+. Now would my sflo2's Line-Out enough to power the amp and headphones? Thanks!

Lineouts do not have "power" so to speak. Assuming they are built to spec, any lineout from a device should be able to provide a singal into your amp. It is the amp's job to provide the "power".

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #1,720 of 29,490

Quote:
If you stick within the same family, the DT990 might be an option.

If you want a totally different and open sound signature, then snag a Grado or open Sennheiser (probably the Sennheisers since they have large cups; Grados aren't known for comfort).

I have looked at dt990pro and will probably get them if I can't find any other, just worried that my laptop wont have enough volume since they are 250ohm..
Not sure about sennheiser, I had hd555 before my dt770pro and they were horrible for watching movies - no bass at all. Definitively want comfortable headphones since i use them at least 5 hours/day.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #1,721 of 29,490
Hi I'm a newbie here, I'm looking for a headphone w/c has the following specs:

• Portable/Foldable
  • Over ear / Fullsize / Circumaural
  • Headband
  • I will mainly use this on my iPhone so I prefer a headphone that has a built-in mic for answering phone calls (based on the forums i've read here, wireles can not give the superior quality of sound that the wired ones can give, so I prefer wired),
  • Good for Rap/Hip Hop/Rock/Metal...Metal...Metal \m/
  • Close back.

Any suggestions?

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #1,722 of 29,490
Hello,

I'm looking for closed, comfortable, home-use (longer cable) headphones. As I have HD 25-1 for commuting and such I pretty much know I would not appreciate expensive headphones SQ-wise.

I'd be OK with HD 438 but they might be too small for me. My ears are ca 7x4 cm and I want to be able to wear the headphones for hours without any pain.

So any ideas about similar headphones (around 80USD, closed...) which have their internal size let's say at least 8x5 cm?

Thank you :).

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #1,723 of 29,490

Quote:

• Portable/Foldable
  • Headband
  • I will mainly use this on my iPhone so I prefer a headphone that has a built-in mic for answering phone calls (based on the forums i've read here, wireles can not give the superior quality of sound that the wired ones can give, so I prefer wired),
  • Close back.

Any suggestions?

The vast majority of headphones, especially circumaural ones, don't have in-line microphones. Have you considered buying a separate in-line mic accessory and using it with said headphones? If you did that, it would greatly expand your choices.

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #1,724 of 29,490
well i kind of wish i had found this thread before starting one in the IEM section. sorry about that.

But anyways. 

i have up to $150 spending money. can be used on one good set of ear buds or over ear sets. I would prefer ear buds but i am currently interested in the PX360's as well. OR the $150 can be used on a set of headphones and an amp if needed. and if price allows.

Music choice is mainly rock/metal. stuff like that. 

bent jack is preferred but not totally needed. I'm just tired of having shorts because the cord gets unnaturally bent.

Current and only source is a 4th gen. iTouch. Is there anything I can/should do to it to make it a bit better in SQ. i have the EQU app but have not really played with it alot yet.

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #1,725 of 29,490

Quote:

• Portable/Foldable
  • Headband
  • Close back.

Any suggestions?

Look at Klipsch Image One.  They might be supra-aural though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back