++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 7, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #1,411 of 29,490

Quote:
Absolutely.  They are nearly identical in construction, with the biggest difference being the improved drivers and wooden cups on the RS-1.  The 60/80/RS-1 all leak in & out a comparable amount of sound.  The 60/80 models also black, so are a tiny bit less conspicuous.

Thanks eucariote! I'm off to spend some more money now (at least it's only around $100 this time).
smile.gif

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #1,413 of 29,490
wow...95 pages of this. too lazy (and not enough time) to browse through all of this, but here's my question to you guys. i'm looking to purchase a set of studio headphones for about $600 - $700 (approx). Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but i can't find any local stores here that actually carry decent studio qualility cans. old roommate had a pair of ATH-W1000's which sounded and looked amazing. however, that's the only point of reference i have.

can you guys suggest a few pair in that price range that you'd recommend, and maybe why?

i listen to mostly electronica - downtempo, trip-hop, house, etc. i'll be using these to write music with mostly, either on my G5 and/or my mbpro. I have am-audio firewire 410 to power it. it seemed sufficient for the AT; should i be purchasing a separate amp as well?

thanks for the help!

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #1,414 of 29,490
So... I read a lot about burn-in, including that my new pair of headphones seem to need it.The subject is the DT-150 if that matters, but how do I actually go about burning them in?  

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #1,415 of 29,490

Quote:
So... I read a lot about burn-in, including that my new pair of headphones seem to need it.The subject is the DT-150 if that matters, but how do I actually go about burning them in?  

Listen to them normally and experience whatever "burn-in" that actually occurs first hand. Most people swear by running pink noise through them for hours, but there's not been any significant proof burn-in even exists. The charts I've seen have shown very slight changes in the drivers after hours of burn-in, but nothing a human ear would notice.

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #1,416 of 29,490
Quote:

Burn-in is a lot more plausible than a lot of the crap people swear by here, but any change plausibly caused by burn in is usually either to small to hear or occurs over a relatively short amount of time.  If someone tells you a pair of 'phones needs several hundred hours of burn in then either the 'phones are defective or its placebo.

When I get a new pair of 'phones usually leave them playing pink noise when I'm not listening to them for a day or two.   I don't know if it makes a difference and mostly doubt that it does, but its very easy to do and covers all my bases.

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #1,417 of 29,490
The drivers changing under usage is actually somewhat plausible I think. It happens with speakers, there i have heard it, but headphones... I'll propably simply use them and if they dissatisfy me try that pinknoise-trick. If it does nothing I can always simply return them. Funny though, the DT150-thread (at least one of two I found) seems to be unanimous that they need it and imoprove after burn-in. We'll see. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #1,418 of 29,490

If equipment factors into that budget, things will change.

Assuming you split the costs, I will recommend the German Maestro GMP 450 PRO - it is absolutely a monitoring type headphone intended for studio use.  It'll run you about 350 USD.

I know German Maestro mentioned they'd be releasing a new flagship soon for around 800 USD this spring, no idea what the progress is on that though.

The best reviews/impressions I can give you in the forum of reading is on this forum for the CharterOak Acoustics SP-1, which is essentially a rebranded equivalent of the GMP 450 PRO.  Joel does a good job with his initial review on song impressions (I agree with him for the most part) but if you have any specific questions about the headphone feel free to post it on that thread.  kkl10 and I have been exchanging back and fourth on it for some time with changing opinions, so be sure to read the latest posts as well if you start diving into the newer stuff.
Quote:
wow...95 pages of this. too lazy (and not enough time) to browse through all of this, but here's my question to you guys. i'm looking to purchase a set of studio headphones for about $600 - $700 (approx). Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but i can't find any local stores here that actually carry decent studio qualility cans. old roommate had a pair of ATH-W1000's which sounded and looked amazing. however, that's the only point of reference i have.

can you guys suggest a few pair in that price range that you'd recommend, and maybe why?

i listen to mostly electronica - downtempo, trip-hop, house, etc. i'll be using these to write music with mostly, either on my G5 and/or my mbpro. I have am-audio firewire 410 to power it. it seemed sufficient for the AT; should i be purchasing a separate amp as well?

thanks for the help!

A higher end solid state amp will match best.  I'm not sure what kind of juice the 410 puts out - but you'll need something that'll do 100mW continuous into 300 ohms like a breeze.

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #1,419 of 29,490
I'm currently looking for a new pair of headphones and i was wondering your opinions on Fostex T-7  compared to AKG K271 for sound quality? and important that it can be somewhat used without an amp ( when travelling etc)
THANKS

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #1,420 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm currently looking for a new pair of headphones and i was wondering your opinions on Fostex T-7  compared to AKG K271 for sound quality? and important that it can be somewhat used without an amp ( when travelling etc)
THANKS

Neither of them have spectacular efficiency so you might want to look at something else.  I've never tried either one though so they might work better than the specs suggest.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #1,421 of 29,490
Please opine. 

Simply, I am looking for the best headphone for listening to Eddie Vedder's voice, lead singer of Pearl Jam (Rock). Vocals
are important to me. Bass is not. Also, the closer to true reproduction of the vocals the better. 

Budget: $300ish
Source: FLAC through ASUS Xonar Essence ST.
Considering: AKG K702
Reservations about the 702's: Reviews on these cans seem to be a mixed bag. They also seem to be power hunger and I am not sure my budget, nor my sound card, can properly drive these. But, it is hard to argue with the $260 price point on Amazon. 
Other potentially helpful info: I love the sound of vocals from my Klipsch Custom 2 IEM. But, I am new to high end. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #1,422 of 29,490
Quote:
Please opine. 

Simply, I am looking for the best headphone for listening to Eddie Vedder's voice, lead singer of Pearl Jam (Rock). Vocals
are important to me. Bass is not. Also, the closer to true reproduction of the vocals the better. 

Budget: $300ish
Source: FLAC through ASUS Xonar Essence ST.
Considering: AKG K702
Reservations about the 702's: Reviews on these cans seem to be a mixed bag. They also seem to be power hunger and I am not sure my budget, nor my sound card, can properly drive these. But, it is hard to argue with the $260 price point on Amazon. 
Other potentially helpful info: I love the sound of vocals from my Klipsch Custom 2 IEM. But, I am new to high end. 

Be weary with the 701/702. They are known to be very picky with their pairings. Many people swear they don't "shine" unless you're using an expensive amp. I do have a recommendation though to add to your considerations, the Audio Technica AD900 can be found at your price. They are very clear, with an excellent mid-range, which is what the vocals fall under. I'm currently listening to an Eddie Vedder track off of the I'm Not There soundtrack, it's a cover of All Along the Watchtower, the vocals are clear. I don't have any other tracks by him/Pearl Jam to test though. The problem with these is that they may be a bit too clean for you. I'm getting my sr225i tomorrow, which I feel may be a better choice, but I won't know for sure until tomorrow.

Sorry if I haven't been too helpful, I mainly wanted to warn you of the potential problem with the 702.

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #1,423 of 29,490
I've heard the Audio Technica AD900 are great for clear vocals. However, now I am leaning toward Grado SR325is. They seem to get great
rock music reviews, as well as, get praised for great mids and vocals. Upon reflecting, I realized I like Vedder's gritty voice while being backed up by Pearl Jams edgy guitars, something
reviewers are claiming the SR325is do very well. I think I may really like the "in your face" and "on stage" feel the SR325is give. Furthermore, they seem to be a better fit with my entry level sound card amp then the k702's would be.  
My sound card has not arrived yet. But, I currently have the Sein. hd380. Do you think the SR325is would be an upgrade? Or would the difference be negligible? 

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #1,424 of 29,490
The 325i are loved and hated on these boards. Some people find them too "bright" and prefer the 225i, while some think the 225i are bland. Grado's would more than likely suit you better than the Audio Technica's. If you can try to find a shop to try the 225i vs 325i, if not you're going to have to trust the reviews. Hopefully I can give you my opinion on the 225i tomorrow.

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #1,425 of 29,490
Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone has any experience with http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Blaster-Wireless-Transmitter/dp/B002BDU93C/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1297156987&sr=8-26 or has heard any good/bad reviews on it? I plan to use it along with my ATH-M50 once they both come in the mail. And don't worry, I bought it for ~$25 on Ebay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back