++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 7, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #1,396 of 29,490

Quote:

Hey guys, I'm new here.  A lot of people have been telling me to ask you guys before buying some headphones, so I'll let the experts tell me what kind of headphones to get.

I'll be using them mainly for listening to black metal, death metal and hardstyle techno, as well as playing Call of Duty.  I want to be able to hear every footstep, etc.  I would also like to be able to take them on a walk down the street.  I wouldn't take them far, just a block or two.

My budget is somewhat low, however, at a maximum of $200, of course lower would be better.

But what make/model do you guys recommend for such activities?  Thanks so much, you guys have a great community here!

Mad Lust Envy did a superb review on gaming headphone. Look out for those with high competitive ratings, especially if you want clarity and accuracy for FPS. 

Personally, don't overspend on your first pair of headphone. The Koss KSC75 may look cheap (and is cheap!) can get your ears tuned to better sound. Understand your own hearing needs first, beyond just the applications, and look for appropriate phones that would bring out the best of those needs. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #1,397 of 29,490
First timer here. I've only listened to music on ipod earbuds so I'm looking to upgrade. I don't want to overspend on my first pair but I do want something nice.

I'm thinking about getting the Audio Technica's MTH-M50's. I've read that these offer a descent bass. However, I'm looking for something that has a slightly stronger bass. Overall, I want a nice sound-stage, descent bass, and nice clarity.  Less than $300 is my budget. Strictly for music listening and occasional production in ableton/cubase, just for fun though it's not serious/professional production though...if that matters. (all genres of Electronic, most metal/core/etc., rap)

I prefer open-back, since I read that they offer better sound quality. (Although it may not be true depending on the headphones, I assume so). I can settle for closed though. So, what rivals the m50's? Are they a good entry-level headphone for music listening/occasional music production?

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #1,398 of 29,490
So, in my search for new headphones, I finally got two candidates, the DT990 Pro and the HD558, both fairly similarly priced. From what I've gathered from reading various threads:

HD558:

+ Good soundstage, audio quality
+ Good for jazz and vocal
+ Long cord
+ Looks decent (not that huge of a factor really)
- Not that good bass
- Bad build quality with a lot of cracks easily appearing (if HD555 are any indicators)

DT990 Pro:
+ Good bass
+ Good build quality
+ Good for rock
- Looks a bit meh (not that huge of a factor really)
- Short, wound up cord (not that huge of a factor really)
- Some say muddy sound with recessed mids
- Tight clamp (my head is pretty big)

I'm in some pretty huge indecision here. Can someone recommend which is generally considered the better headphone? Will be used at home for gaming and listening to jazz, pop, rock.

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #1,399 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'd like some help if possible with some headphones of mine.

I bought about a week ago Sennheiser HD 598's and I'm very into electronic production and have been using them quite a lot fairly loudly (not blasting them). Within only a week I'm already hearing crackling and the bass doesn't seem to be working properly. Now, I did buy them from a professional store and I'm nearly certain this isn't supposed to happen in a WEEK!

I do listen to 90% dubstep... really heavy bass... could it be that these are just not cut out for dubstep at all? Surely such expensive headphones would still live through listening to some dubstep...

Most likely going to take them back tomorrow and get them replaced (If they don't replace them ima get REAL angry at them :s)
Spent around 350-400 on them... are there much better headphones for both listening to dubstep alot and producing music for the same price? Or did I just get a dud pair perhaps, and next time I guess I won't listen so loud and take a bit more care with them...

Thanks

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #1,401 of 29,490

Quote:
So, in my search for new headphones, I finally got two candidates, the DT990 Pro and the HD558, both fairly similarly priced. From what I've gathered from reading various threads:

HD558:

+ Good soundstage, audio quality
+ Good for jazz and vocal
+ Long cord
+ Looks decent (not that huge of a factor really)
- Not that good bass
- Bad build quality with a lot of cracks easily appearing (if HD555 are any indicators)

DT990 Pro:
+ Good bass
+ Good build quality
+ Good for rock
- Looks a bit meh (not that huge of a factor really)
- Short, wound up cord (not that huge of a factor really)
- Some say muddy sound with recessed mids
- Tight clamp (my head is pretty big)

I'm in some pretty huge indecision here. Can someone recommend which is generally considered the better headphone? Will be used at home for gaming and listening to jazz, pop, rock.

You said that your budget was U$200,00, the DT990 pro is over 250 0.0, and remember, the DT990,880 pro are closed, so they dont have a good soundstage, and for gaming thats very bad...

BTW, the HD 558 will do a nice job, if you want to spend over U$400 buy one DT990 or DT880(people say that DT880 are better for rock/metal). With a nice amp, cause without a amp any of those beyer's will be very bad.

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #1,402 of 29,490
Hi, I'm replying to a post I made on Saturday so it can be seen again. It got buried pretty quickly!

Details are quoted below, but the short version is:
Are the Grado SR60i and SR80i constructed like the the RS1i headphones? I like that I can hear stuff going on around me at work when I listen at a low volume.

Thanks!
Mike
Quote:
Hi, this is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a coupla' years. I'm looking for some headphones to wear at work.

Recently, I brought my Grado RS1i headphones to work as a test to see if I could still hear the telephones and if I could hold conversations with coworkers without having to remove them (also to see if any "higher-ups" would complain about it
tongue_smile.gif
). I found that they work nicely in my environment. At lower volumes (using my Sansa Clip) it's like having speakers softly playing in the background. People can get my attention, I can have conversations, they sound good, and most importantly, the "higher-ups" don't seem to give a crap if I wear them.

I don't feel comfortable bringing my RS1i's to work everyday and I'm thinking of purchasing a pair of the lower end Grados. Am I right in assuming that the SR60i or the SR80i will also sound as if they are speakers in the background? Are they the same open construction?

I'm also open to other sub-$100 suggestions anybody might have!

Thanks,
Mike

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #1,403 of 29,490
i am considering buying full headphones (my first pair of full headphone) there are a few choices(other choices are also welcomed) sr80i,ATD AD700, Shure 840.
Which is the best value of money?
(i use it mostly in my dormitry)

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #1,404 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I'm replying to a post I made on Saturday so it can be seen again. It got buried pretty quickly!

Details are quoted below, but the short version is:
Are the Grado SR60i and SR80i constructed like the the RS1i headphones? I like that I can hear stuff going on around me at work when I listen at a low volume.

Thanks!
Mike

Absolutely.  They are nearly identical in construction, with the biggest difference being the improved drivers and wooden cups on the RS-1.  The 60/80/RS-1 all leak in & out a comparable amount of sound.  The 60/80 models also black, so are a tiny bit less conspicuous.

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #1,405 of 29,490
Are you looking to keep these at your desk?

If you plan on being on the move, a closed back setup might be a better option, and a lot exist at your price point.

For extended bass and the electronic and rap genres you mentioned, I am going to recommend the Ultrasone PRO750 (pretty sure you can find one for that budget).  It'll run pretty well without an amp - obviously will still benefit from one, but not necessary.

Another headphone that I purchased recently - the Sennheiser PX 360 - is quite bassy to my surprise and has a little better controlled bass than the M50 - more detail in the mids and a better soundstage (IMO, of course).  They also isolate better than any other passive system I've heard, without giving up too much on the soundstage.

Those are both closed back options of course....  I am more familiar with closed back for the 200-300 range.

If you could score a Denon D2000 for 300 that'd be a GREAT one to look into as well.  All of these will run fine unamped.

Quote:
First timer here. I've only listened to music on ipod earbuds so I'm looking to upgrade. I don't want to overspend on my first pair but I do want something nice.

I'm thinking about getting the Audio Technica's MTH-M50's. I've read that these offer a descent bass. However, I'm looking for something that has a slightly stronger bass. Overall, I want a nice sound-stage, descent bass, and nice clarity.  Less than $300 is my budget. Strictly for music listening and occasional production in ableton/cubase, just for fun though it's not serious/professional production though...if that matters. (all genres of Electronic, most metal/core/etc., rap)

I prefer open-back, since I read that they offer better sound quality. (Although it may not be true depending on the headphones, I assume so). I can settle for closed though. So, what rivals the m50's? Are they a good entry-level headphone for music listening/occasional music production?

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #1,407 of 29,490

Quote:
You said that your budget was U$200,00, the DT990 pro is over 250 0.0, and remember, the DT990,880 pro are closed, so they dont have a good soundstage, and for gaming thats very bad...

BTW, the HD 558 will do a nice job, if you want to spend over U$400 buy one DT990 or DT880(people say that DT880 are better for rock/metal). With a nice amp, cause without a amp any of those beyer's will be very bad.

What nonsense! DT880 is semi-closed headphone, while DT990 is an open headphone. They have always been that way since the start of production.
And Beyer headphone does have a good soundstage and are very much recommended for gaming.

Quote:
I am about to purchase a pair of K-702s with a Matrix M Stage Amp.. is there anything else i would need to purchase ? Any cords or something ?

Get more music! 

Cables should be the last of your concerns. The differences is very minimal and noticeable to very sharp/seasoned ears. Appreciate your K-702 more, and understand your music listening habits before moving on to decide on what else to upgrade next. 

Quote:
i am considering buying full headphones (my first pair of full headphone) there are a few choices(other choices are also welcomed) sr80i,ATD AD700, Shure 840.
Which is the best value of money?
(i use it mostly in my dormitry)

You got to give us more to work with. What sort of music do you listen to? What kind of demand would you need the headphone for your dorm living? 

The best headphone (be it value for money, quality, etc.) is the one you use the most often. No point getting what other say is the best value, only to put it aside as a white elephant...

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #1,409 of 29,490
Feb 7, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #1,410 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I'd like some help if possible with some headphones of mine.

I bought about a week ago Sennheiser HD 598's and I'm very into electronic production and have been using them quite a lot fairly loudly (not blasting them). Within only a week I'm already hearing crackling and the bass doesn't seem to be working properly. Now, I did buy them from a professional store and I'm nearly certain this isn't supposed to happen in a WEEK!

I do listen to 90% dubstep... really heavy bass... could it be that these are just not cut out for dubstep at all? Surely such expensive headphones would still live through listening to some dubstep...

Most likely going to take them back tomorrow and get them replaced (If they don't replace them ima get REAL angry at them :s)
Spent around 350-400 on them... are there much better headphones for both listening to dubstep alot and producing music for the same price? Or did I just get a dud pair perhaps, and next time I guess I won't listen so loud and take a bit more care with them...

Thanks

Not many 'phones are really cut out for stuff with really deep bass.  You might want to look at the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm version.  They go very deep for not a ton of money and don't really sacrifice much clarity in the rest of the spectrum.  It won't be much good for producing music though.  Its just not anywhere near flat enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back