++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 6, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #1,366 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay, I had seen a lot of people recommend the DT770 80ohms.  Whats the opinion on DT770 VS AKG K702?  I have been reading tons of great stuff about the K702's, right now its between one of the beyerdynamics and the K702, or possibly the HD650s if they ever come back in stock at the store I want them at.

You'd have a hard time picking out two more different headphones than the Pro 80s and K701s.  If you like bass stay far, far, away from the 701s.  The HD650 are bad choices for those genres as well.  I like my HD650s a lot, but my rap/hip-hop collection is limited to Amish Paradise and White and Nerdy.  I don't listen to my electronica/techno with them either.

Feb 6, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #1,367 of 29,490
I got my HD600 a few days ago via a suggestion from this thread as an upgrade from my Ortofon EQ-5 IEMs. I hooked them up to my Fiio E9 with a docked E7 DAC and listened to Diana Krall's "Quiet Nights" album (FLAC from HDTracks). I was dissapointed by the sound. They sound too dull ... by dull I mean, there wasn't any emotion unlike when I heard the album through the Ortofon EQ-5. Am I just amping this wrong or what? This was a used pair but it has been handled by the owner quite well (No signs of scratches nor any other damage) and he said that it had already been burnt in plenty of times. I also use a Neutrik DIY Cable for this.

Feb 6, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #1,368 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Okay, I had seen a lot of people recommend the DT770 80ohms.  Whats the opinion on DT770 VS AKG K702?  I have been reading tons of great stuff about the K702's, right now its between one of the beyerdynamics and the K702, or possibly the HD650s if they ever come back in stock at the store I want them at.

You'd have a hard time picking out two more different headphones than the Pro 80s and K701s.  If you like bass stay far, far, away from the 701s.  The HD650 are bad choices for those genres as well.  I like my HD650s a lot, but my rap/hip-hop collection is limited to Amish Paradise and White and Nerdy.  I don't listen to my electronica/techno with them either.

Yeah i know one is closed and one is open, but people keep saying all this crazy stuff about how awesome the k702s are and that the next best thing would be 3x its price.  So I didn't want to miss out if they are worth it.

The dt770, would I be better off with the 80ohm or 250ohm?  I am a headphone newb so I don't really know the difference, I guess one needs more power to get its true ability?

Also what do you think of the Denon AHD2000?  Are they dramatically better than DT770s?

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #1,369 of 29,490
First off, there is a TON of information on these forums. Thank you everyone for contributing. Now, on to my question.

I produce music so I am sitting in front of a computer and my midi controller a lot. I am looking for a pair of over the ear or noise canceling phones that I can wear for hours. I am also a college student so I walk around campus a lot and would like to be able to wear them around. I purchased the Beats By Dre Studio headphones and was not impressed. I deal mostly with electronic music but on occasion listen to rock.

Needs: Over the ear and/or noise canceling, durability (these will get dropped and shoved in my backpack, if it is all plastic, no can do), I really don't want to hear anything else when I am listening to my headphones that way I can keep the volume on low and minimize any damage to my ears. I know people listen to their music loud but I already have a hard enough time hearing from the motorcycle riding, I don't need to exacerbate it.
Wants: I confess, I do like head phones that have some aesthetic appeal, sound comes first though, it would be awesome to have the cans swivel so that I can listen in one ear and hear other things as well.
Price: <$300

I have been looking at:
  1. Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
  2. AKG K 702
  3. Ultrasone DJ1 Pro

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #1,370 of 29,490
Looking for a new pair, will be used mostly for jazz and classical. Sound should be as realistic as possible. Would also like good isolation and comfort. I'd also like them to work well without an amp. Don't really like IEMs, so I'm thinking closed are my best bet. Price range is up to 300 if I can find something perfect for me, but I'd prefer to stay around 200.

So far I'm leaning towards the beyerdynamic 770 32 ohm, the akg 271, or the shure 840s. I'd like to hear from people who have heard the headphones rather than people who have just read reviews.

Any input is much appreciated.

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #1,373 of 29,490
Ok, I did it, just hit the final button on the DT150. It seems that after seemingly endless reading and without the means to actually test them, you still have to trust your gut. Wish me luck and thanks for the helpful answers. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #1,374 of 29,490

Quote:
First off, there is a TON of information on these forums. Thank you everyone for contributing. Now, on to my question.

I produce music so I am sitting in front of a computer and my midi controller a lot. I am looking for a pair of over the ear or noise canceling phones that I can wear for hours. I am also a college student so I walk around campus a lot and would like to be able to wear them around. I purchased the Beats By Dre Studio headphones and was not impressed. I deal mostly with electronic music but on occasion listen to rock.

Needs: Over the ear and/or noise canceling, durability (these will get dropped and shoved in my backpack, if it is all plastic, no can do), I really don't want to hear anything else when I am listening to my headphones that way I can keep the volume on low and minimize any damage to my ears. I know people listen to their music loud but I already have a hard enough time hearing from the motorcycle riding, I don't need to exacerbate it.
Wants: I confess, I do like head phones that have some aesthetic appeal, sound comes first though, it would be awesome to have the cans swivel so that I can listen in one ear and hear other things as well.

I have been looking at:
  2. AKG K 702
  3. Ultrasone DJ1 Pro

Well cross the 702, to be honest, I really think you should do a little more research before asking, because the 702 is blatantly known as being a open headphone.

Otherwise I have no direct experience with the other two, but the M50 sounds like a nice contender.

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #1,376 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for an amp/DAC (or soundcard) combo for under $200 preferably. I'll be using them with my AKG K240 MKII. Can anyone help me out?

I tend to recommend the Audinst HUD-MX1 a lot; it gets plenty loud and sounds pretty good for the price. There are a handful of other DAC/amp hybrids out there as well, like Firestone Audio's FUBAR III and IV, and Travagan's White/Green. The MX1 is the only one I've heard, though.

Quote:
Tordenskjold said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok, I did it, just hit the final button on the DT150. It seems that after seemingly endless reading and without the means to actually test them, you still have to trust your gut. Wish me luck and thanks for the helpful answers.

Sure, good luck, and I hope you enjoy your headphones. To be honest, I haven't heard the DT150s (although I would love to someday), but I doubt you've made the wrong choice.

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #1,377 of 29,490
It doesn't have to be a hybrid, just so long as the total cost of both is under $200.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm looking for an amp/DAC (or soundcard) combo for under $200 preferably. I'll be using them with my AKG K240 MKII. Can anyone help me out?

I tend to recommend the Audinst HUD-MX1 a lot; it gets plenty loud and sounds pretty good for the price. There are a handful of other DAC/amp hybrids out there as well, like Firestone Audio's FUBAR III and IV, and Travagan's White/Green. The MX1 is the only one I've heard, though.

Quote:
Tordenskjold said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sure, good luck, and I hope you enjoy your headphones. To be honest, I haven't heard the DT150s (although I would love to someday), but I doubt you've made the wrong choice.

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #1,378 of 29,490
LONG VERSION
Hi, guys.  I'm just a n00b looking for some guidance.

I need a set of usable cans in the worst way.  I can feel myself becoming an audiophile.  I'm not sure that's a good thing, considering it is very expensive.  I'm just a poor teenager!

I own a pair of Shure SE110 earphones, and ever since I listened to a friend's Sennheiser 202s, I don't get that sensation when I hear something awesome from an awesome pair of headphones/earphones/speakers.  (Awesome is the best word to describe it.)  I know it's a low end pair, but I like the signature of the HD202, even though they sound somewhat muffled and muddy, due to their closed nature.

I've been looking at a pair of HD555, which happen to be $85 on Amazon.  My only hesitation is this: will they run well from a decent sound card (I'm looking at a Xonar one, not sure what version yet, hopefully ~$100, any suggestions here?) with a custom build, or even unamped?  My current POS laptop has an EXTREMELY noisy audio-out, so would I be best to get a cheap DAC for the time being? (recommendations?)

SHORT VERSION
1.  I need a good set of cans that will run respectably unamped but also sound great when amped.
2.  I think I need a DAC, could I get a recommendation for an inexpensive one?
3.  When I do eventually build a custom computer, what sound card (Xonar looks good) can I buy for <$125 that will power cans like the HD555?  Will a good sound card even do that?

Many thanks to any and all who reply.

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #1,379 of 29,490

Quote:
I got my HD600 a few days ago via a suggestion from this thread as an upgrade from my Ortofon EQ-5 IEMs. I hooked them up to my Fiio E9 with a docked E7 DAC and listened to Diana Krall's "Quiet Nights" album (FLAC from HDTracks). I was dissapointed by the sound. They sound too dull ... by dull I mean, there wasn't any emotion unlike when I heard the album through the Ortofon EQ-5. Am I just amping this wrong or what? This was a used pair but it has been handled by the owner quite well (No signs of scratches nor any other damage) and he said that it had already been burnt in plenty of times. I also use a Neutrik DIY Cable for this.

HD600 (and most Senns anyway) tend to be a bit dark. They give excellent sound-stage and smooth timbral/tonal detail resolution, making it one of the better headphone for instrumental jazz. In the case of vocal-heavy albums, like that of Diana Krall, a brighter headphone would be more suitable to bring out the treble bias in those recording. A darker headphone would only bring this frequency down, making it dull (just like what you'd stated).

Don't give up on the HD600 though. It is one of the better headphone I'd tried. You will definitely love it with other type of music.  

Quote:

I have been looking at:
  2. AKG K 702
  3. Ultrasone DJ1 Pro

AKG K702 is an open can, and are frankly one of the hardest headphone to drive (despite the low impedence rating). Plugging it straight to portable devices would only make it sound ordinary, if not bad.

Quote:
Looking for a new pair, will be used mostly for jazz and classical. Sound should be as realistic as possible. Would also like good isolation and comfort. I'd also like them to work well without an amp. Don't really like IEMs, so I'm thinking closed are my best bet. Price range is up to 300 if I can find something perfect for me, but I'd prefer to stay around 200.

So far I'm leaning towards the beyerdynamic 770 32 ohm, the akg 271, or the shure 840s. I'd like to hear from people who have heard the headphones rather than people who have just read reviews.

Any input is much appreciated.

Realistic sound and isolation doesn't really go hand-in-hand. Most closed cans would inevitably have an smaller sound-stage, making the music more in the ear and thus unrealistic. 

Quote:
I may not be the most knowledgeable here, but I can say for certain that the K701/702 is a terrible choice for anyone in the past page or two.

Why would you say that? 

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #1,380 of 29,490

Quote:
LONG VERSION
Hi, guys.  I'm just a n00b looking for some guidance.

I need a set of usable cans in the worst way.  I can feel myself becoming an audiophile.  I'm not sure that's a good thing, considering it is very expensive.  I'm just a poor teenager!

I own a pair of Shure SE110 earphones, and ever since I listened to a friend's Sennheiser 202s, I don't get that sensation when I hear something awesome from an awesome pair of headphones/earphones/speakers.  (Awesome is the best word to describe it.)  I know it's a low end pair, but I like the signature of the HD202, even though they sound somewhat muffled and muddy, due to their closed nature.

I've been looking at a pair of HD555, which happen to be $85 on Amazon.  My only hesitation is this: will they run well from a decent sound card (I'm looking at a Xonar one, not sure what version yet, hopefully ~$100, any suggestions here?) with a custom build, or even unamped?  My current POS laptop has an EXTREMELY noisy audio-out, so would I be best to get a cheap DAC for the time being? (recommendations?)

SHORT VERSION
1.  I need a good set of cans that will run respectably unamped but also sound great when amped.
2.  I think I need a DAC, could I get a recommendation for an inexpensive one?
3.  When I do eventually build a custom computer, what sound card (Xonar looks good) can I buy for <$125 that will power cans like the HD555?  Will a good sound card even do that?

Many thanks to any and all who reply.

Spend on a proper DAC + Amp combination. That way, you could save on your sound card. 

Also, if money is an issue, start your journey with the budget KSC75. Just look at the raves people made on this amazing clip-ons. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back