++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 23, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #1,066 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
@12345142 and @lshcabible. I got the Amazon release dates :\. and I listen to electronic music/house/lounge music/indie/pop definitely not a heavy rock dude. yeah a bunch of stuff. So im looking for a good all around headphone(yeah i know there are all types of specific headphones :\).

Exclusively those three? I guess the Grados would be cool for those, but it depends on what you want in regards to electronic. They sounded good for indie, and might be a bit bright for pop. Wait, what's lounge music? Too lazy to Google it at the moment. And other than that, I don't really know what to suggest actually. Despite the fact that I haven't pair over $100 for a single pair of headphones, and probably won't in the near future, it's because I'm incredibly lucky and find great deals. And I haven't bothered auditioning many under $100 all arounders because of that fact. I like my K271 for basically everything, and there's a pair for $100 on Amazon if you don't mind used, and feel lucky since that seller is new. People like Shures for most everything, and Olimoronio seems to love the Prodipe 800 and Cortex...something for $40 for electronic and such.

Hahahaha thanx man for the info. i went on a quest looking for all headphones. and i stumbled upon one of my fav companies. Kicker.

http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-09HP541-Style-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B002VWJY7U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top 

Kicker 09HP541 DJ Style Over-the-Ear Stereo Headphone

And based on the reviews it seems to suit my exact genres. So i might be getting that. :p but thanx to you i have a better understanding of headphones.

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #1,067 of 29,490

Quote:

Hey guys, this is my first post.  I thought I'd start off by asking your opinions on something.  I'm in the market for some new over or around-ear headphones, and I was wondering what I should buy.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to spend more than 60-70 dollars.  I listen to rock, hip-hop, dance, techno, house, heavy and death metal, some folk, classical, really everything.  I like my bass to be precise, noticeable, and not "muddy" so to speak. Overall audio quality should be good.  I'll also be watching movies with them, and they'll mainly be used on an Ipod nano.  Thanks in advance.  Hopefully what I've given you makes sense or is in some way coherent.  I know nothing about headphones at all.  If you need any more information just ask.  Below is a list of headphones I've been looking at, so you can steer me toward one of them, or suggest something completely different. Thanks again! :)

Panasonic RP-HTX7 (Retro Style)

Sennheiser HD 205

Sennheiser HD428

Pioneer SE-MJ5

Shure SRH240

Senn HD 448?

Impression: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd448-around-the-ear-headphones/reviews#4486

About $100... so the 428 should be somewhat similar to the 448.  I have not heard it to confirm this

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #1,069 of 29,490
@maverickronin
Thx for answering,
How much do gel pads improve the isolation. on DT 770

Quote:
*Edited for shorter, easier read*

Music genres: Mainly for Psytrance, DnB, Dubstep, and other Electonic genres.
Portable: No, only at the computer.
Price range: Up to $350.
Amped: No.

Closed/Open: Closed. Enough to isolate talking.

Since my last post I did more research, and got to listen to Denon AH-D2000...
Are there any 'phones that have similar quality + the isolation.
Also does anyone know how are German Maestro GMP 8.35 D with my genres?

Thanks a lot.

P.S. I did try M50s didn't like them for some reason... maybe because they get pushed a lot here, as soon as someone mentions bass. =(

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #1,070 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm kinda new to this but I am planning for my next headphones purchase. Currently I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT231 pro's and I listen to heavy metal, classical and jazz music. For my next purchase I've been contemplating on getting the ATH-A700 ( I need closed headphones as I live with other people). Do you guys think the A700s are a good pair to upgrade to?

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #1,072 of 29,490

Alright, thanks. Do they sound good un-amped? The only amp i have is the Fiio E3 (i got for free when i bought the dt231s) but ive noticed that there is a bit of noise when i use it with the dt231s
Quote:
PhoenixClaw: Yes. You will almost certainly notice more bass and more details from the A700, because they isolate much more effectively than the DT231.

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #1,073 of 29,490
Alright, time to stop bumping my redundant thread and post here. So I'm looking to step up from my HD555's, which I've grown tired of. What cans would you recommend? I'm eying the D2000, DT770/880/990, and I'm open to other suggestions. Also, if I get the new cans, should I sell my HD555's? (If the new cans aren't good for games (especially FPS where I need soundstage and positional audio) and movies)

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #1,074 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello,
First post but long time lurker. I'm new to the audiophile headphone world. I currently use an iPhone 3GS and Shure SE530's to listen to music when I want, but would like an upgrade above the IEMs as I don't find them too comfortable and will be taking a job working from home, so listening to some music on my own time has become a possibility.

After reading several posts I decided not to waste anytime and go to the top. I've preordered some Audez'e LCD-2s and plan on powering it with a Meier Stepdance portable amplifier. My source will continue to be an iPhone 3GS and I will be buying a iPhone/iPod LOD. I'm assuming this whole setup may cost me around ~$1400 dollars ($1000 for LCD-2, ~$350 for Meier Stepdance, and ~$50 for high quality LOD cable). I will be listening to FLAC files from the iPhone.

Obviously I want the best headphones. I suffer from upgraditis so I figured I'd go straight to the top and grab some LCD-2's and save myself the time. As for the Meier Stepdance, I do want a portable amp as I listen to music mostly on the go and I hear that this is the best portable amp for the money at the moment. I hope that with this amp, I can take advantage of 95% of the performance the LCD-2's have to offer (I'm OK with losing the last 5% if that's gained through a desktop amp that cost more than 3x as much). I see that the Meier Stepdance can also be driven via plugging it into the wall so I think I'd be ok there. If I wanted a desktop solution, what is the best bang for the buck amplifier to drive some LCD-2's? I've read through a couple pages of the "Amps for LCD-2" thread but have not found a clear winner. To be honest, if the Stepdance can drive the LCD-2's at a respectable audiophile level while plugged into the wall I doubt I will spend another couple hundred to squeeze the last bit of performance out of it.

What do you guys think? If I spend ~$1400 on this setup have I maximized what I get for my money? I know the amplification could get better for home listening but for a portable listening solutions isn't this the best?  Would I have a better listening experience buying something else? I mainly listen to rock but do listen to jazz and classical some time. I started off wanting to buy some Grado RS1i before reading about the LCD-2s.

As always, I appreciate the opinions of others who have spent time in this profession/hobby.

Thanks!

I think it's smart to start with the top headphones.  Although it's a lot of fun, I've been paying a pretty steep price learning gradually with a lot of headphones and several amps & dacs, and I think your system will be worlds better for much less.  About the amp, you should probably ask in the Headphone Amp thread since you'e already arrived at your dream headphones, and have very specific questions about suitable amps.  imo it's wise to aim for something good that isn't terribly expensive, as you will get much faster diminishing returns spending on an amp & dac compared to headphones.

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #1,075 of 29,490
Hello
Which is good headset/headphone just for gaming ?  my budget is 200€ with sound card

I saw on many forums they recommend ATH-AD700

So for gaming is better open-air right?

What about HD 555 moded to HD 595 or original HD 595 ?

And about PC 350/360

Also i saw on forums SteelSeries 7H are better then PC 350 is that true ?
Or Corsair HS1

Or any others you can recommend me

Also which sound card you can recommend ?

I was looking into Xonar D1/DX (60€) both are same right ? DX PCI-E don't made sound better right ?
Or Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium fatality (70€)

Or any other at that price range

Also what to buy it will work with Xbox 360 ?
Or i will need MIXAMP or are there any others  wireless sound card or how is called

Or Ear Force DSS
What is better dss or mixamp ?

Is same sound quality with this mixamp or DDS or PC sound card like this xonar d1/dx, X-Fi Titanium fatality

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #1,077 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello
Which is good headset/headphone just for gaming ?  my budget is 200€ with sound card

And about PC 350/360

Or Corsair HS1

I was looking into Xonar D1/DX (60€) both are same right ? DX PCI-E don't made sound better right ?

Or i will need MIXAMP or are there any others  wireless sound card or how is called

Or Ear Force DSS

Is same sound quality with this mixamp or DDS or PC sound card like this xonar d1/dx, X-Fi Titanium fatality

I have heard very good things about Sennheiser's HD 598 model.

I will refer you here regarding gaming, great reviews!
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #1,078 of 29,490

Quote:
Alright, thanks. Do they sound good un-amped? The only amp i have is the Fiio E3 (i got for free when i bought the dt231s) but ive noticed that there is a bit of noise when i use it with the dt231s
Quote:
PhoenixClaw: Yes. You will almost certainly notice more bass and more details from the A700, because they isolate much more effectively than the DT231.

The A700 should be fine unamped. Just as a head's up, i didn't find Heavy metal to work to well with the A700's. I felt that the Mids were recessed, so the guitars wouldn't shine, and i found the tone overly bright. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #1,079 of 29,490

Quote:
Alright, time to stop bumping my redundant thread and post here. So I'm looking to step up from my HD555's, which I've grown tired of. What cans would you recommend? I'm eying the D2000, DT770/880/990, and I'm open to other suggestions. Also, if I get the new cans, should I sell my HD555's? (If the new cans aren't good for games (especially FPS where I need soundstage and positional audio) and movies)

Once again, We need more info before we suggest headphones. We need to know what your looking for specifically. My perception of "upgrade" is different form your "upgrade", so you need to tell us specifically what you want more of.

sorry for the double post.....

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #1,080 of 29,490
Nope i don't need mic  so it doesn't matter if is headphone or headset  i need just good sound quality and comfort  for FPS games (mostly)
And for HD 595 my budget is 200 €  with soundcard or ear force dss  as i see mixamp coct too much

Quote:
LukaTCE are you after a set of headphones or a headset (with a mic)?

If you're looking for a headset, then might I recommend you take a look here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=87

As it's a forum filled with gamers specifically discussing audio / headsets.

Quote:
Quote:
Hello

And about PC 350/360

Or Corsair HS1

Or Ear Force DSS

I have heard very good things about Sennheiser's HD 598 model.

I will refer you here regarding gaming, great reviews!
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back