++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 30, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #391 of 29,490
I'm in the market for my first pair of "quality" cans (currently own the discontinued Senn HD497's, which are falling apart). I listen almost exclusively to modern rock music. My highest priority is that they sound good, clear, and forward with heavy rock music along the lines of Tool, Porcupine Tree, Alice in Chains, etc.

I've done enough reading to know that Grado is the go-to brand for requests like this. Here's my problem: I need cans that leak minimal sound and are comfortable. So closed models are what I'm looking at. I'd prefer something around or under $150 that sounds decent unamped, or at least without an high-end amp (I might grab a uDAC-2 soon). So far, I've found the following closed models that fit that criteria:

Audio Technica ATH-M50
Denon D1001 (discontinued? can't find in stock anywhere)
Denon D1100
Sennheiser HD 280

So my question is, which of these comes closest to the forward/bright/rock-loving Grado sound? I'm also open to other recommendations in the sub-$200 range, of course, provided they're closed and leak minimal sound.

Dec 30, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #392 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Random question. What is Alternative? I tend to consider "Indie" music like Los Campesinos!, Neutral Milk Hotel, Cloud Cult, etc as alternative music, but I've seen others call basically anything from Leona Lewis to Danger Radio as alternative.

I always thought 'alternative' was just short for alternative rock, like R.E.M. and Interpol.

That makes a lot of sense...

Quote:

Quote:
So I'm considering several different sets.  I listen to a lot of different types of music, I have over 6,000 cds.  My headphone amplification is through a RAM modified Shanling CD T100 that has a seperate headphone amp powered by 2 2C51 tubes, I use Bendix redbank 6385s.  My current phones are ATH W5000s and I am considering changing to either:  LCD-2, GS1000i, or HD800s

Suggestions along with reasoning would be appreciated

When you start playing in the 1k+ range, it's time to hit up a meet and consult the people who've actually heard the gear before (although this advice applies to all levels of headfi, it becomes moreso important the higher up you go). Here's one place to start: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/524569/review-20-headphones-compared

Quote:
Quote:
I just got my D2000's today, what do the J Money ear pads do?

Basically, better seal (better sound, subjectively of course), more comfort.

^^^ It'll just be a sidegrade. Are you sure you wanna plunk down $100 for something that'll merely sound different instead of better? Failing that, the main difference is in the mids. The ES7 is way more colored and fun.

Random question. What is Alternative? I tend to consider "Indie" music like Los Campesinos!, Neutral Milk Hotel, Cloud Cult, etc as alternative music, but I've seen others call basically anything from Leona Lewis to Danger Radio as alternative.

I consider the J$ earpads a significant upgrade. Closed cans are designed to be closed (duh), meaning they use the seal and resonance to help generate the desired sound. If they leak, you lose that and it sounds awful.

R_Burke: Okay, I'm in almost the same boat as you. Were you looking for an upgrade to your W5000's sound sig?
And what foam are those pads made of?

Dec 30, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #393 of 29,490

Stupid Huddler system won't let me edit this in.
Quote:
I'm in the market for my first pair of "quality" cans (currently own the discontinued Senn HD497's, which are falling apart). I listen almost exclusively to modern rock music. My highest priority is that they sound good, clear, and forward with heavy rock music along the lines of Tool, Porcupine Tree, Alice in Chains, etc.

I've done enough reading to know that Grado is the go-to brand for requests like this. Here's my problem: I need cans that leak minimal sound and are comfortable. So closed models are what I'm looking at. I'd prefer something around or under $150 that sounds decent unamped, or at least without an high-end amp (I might grab a uDAC-2 soon). So far, I've found the following closed models that fit that criteria:

Audio Technica ATH-M50
Denon D1100
Sennheiser HD 280

So my question is, which of these comes closest to the forward/bright/rock-loving Grado sound? I'm also open to other recommendations in the sub-$200 range, of course, provided they're closed and leak minimal sound.

None of them. Of them, the M50 would be closest, but still not Grado-like imo. There really isn't anything closed with a Grado sound...there's the FrankenGrado on the classifieds. And there's the K271, but that's a stretch. There's the AKG K270 Playback, but those are incredibly rare.

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #394 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

Audio Technica ATH-M50
Denon D1100
Sennheiser HD 280

None of them. Of them, the M50 would be closest, but still not Grado-like imo. There really isn't anything closed with a Grado sound...there's the FrankenGrado on the classifieds. And there's the K271, but that's a stretch. There's the AKG K270 Playback, but those are incredibly rare.

Thanks for the advice.

To be clear, I've never even heard Grado's before, so I'm not necessarily hellbent on getting the "Grado sound" in whatever I settle on. I just want it to be as forward and lively as possible for a closed phone. In other words, the closed phone least likely to be described as "laid back," "veiled," or "spacey."

Oh, and bass is not a big priority for me. If anything, I'm concerned the D1100's might have too much for most rock after sifting through some threads on here.

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #395 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Audio Technica ATH-M50
Denon D1100
Sennheiser HD 280

Thanks for the advice.

To be clear, I've never even heard Grado's before, so I'm not necessarily hellbent on getting the "Grado sound" in whatever I settle on. I just want it to be as forward and lively as possible for a closed phone. In other words, the closed phone least likely to be described as "laid back," "veiled," or "spacey."

Oh, and bass is not a big priority for me. If anything, I'm concerned the D1100's might have too much for most rock after sifting through some threads on here.

Well, I assumed that, and the same applies. I thought the M50s were kind of veiled to me, and they're the brightest ones on that list, save for maybe the D1000s. I love the K271s for metal, but I might be a bit weird.

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #397 of 29,490
I just got a used Maverick D1. I am considering getting a Maverick A1 as well, or more likely a Little Dot MKIII to use with the tube pre-out. I would like to buy some nice headphones first. I need help choosing. I have listened to a TON of different headphones but there has not been one that really got me. I have listened with an Audio GD Fun with different opamps as well. My realistic price limit is $200 and I would really like to buy headphones used from Head Fi. I would consider $300 for cans, but that is really pushing it for me. I believe I want an open ear style and comfort is key. I wear glasses so that's a major factor.

The headphones I have listened to:
  1. Sennheiser HD202 - hated these
  2. Sennheiser HD650 - Currently have my roommate's brand new pair and I love them. Not even broken in yet.
  3. AKG K701 - Love these. They're perfect for most of the music I listen to, but I'm not sure if I like the lack in bass.
  4. AKG K702 - Currently listening to these on my D1. Love them, but still they are lacking bass.
  5. Beyerdynamics DT880 Pro - Loved these. They seem to lack the definition that I really like in the AKG 701(2). I cannot stand the coily cable, though.
  6. Beyerdynamics DT880 Studio - These were good but I didn't think they were as good as the pro's for some reason. I think they were less broken in.
  7. Grado GS1000i - My roommate owns these and I used them for about an hour. They are awesome, but not worth the price tag. I wonder if Grado 325i would be just as nice?

I listen to a very wide range of music. I am a guitar player so that is my primary focus. To my ears the AKG 701(2) are the best at producing guitar tones, but then they lack the bottom end and it throws me off a bit. I listen to a lot of singer/songwriter type stuff including tons of Ray Lamontagne. I do a lot of jazz as well. I randomly throw in all kinds of different genres so if I could find something that will be accepting of many different genres that would be great.

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #398 of 29,490

Quote:

HD25-1 IIs are right up your alley, they sound plenty aggressive with modern rock music, isolate lots of noise and sound great unamped. You can find them for as low as $149 on eBay.

Dec 30, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #400 of 29,490
I did. They were great. My previous trial was a very old pair of 650s belonging to my other roommate. They didn't really do much for me. These brand new ones are great so far. They are a little bit uncomfortable to me, though. They are very constricting to wear. But the problem I have with them is they are a little bit too flat. I know that's sacrilegious but I would really like more high end from the headphones and much more defined clarity in the high end. The AKG 701(2) both have a distinct clarity that I have not heard as well in any of the other headphones I have tried. There seems to be a great separation on the attack of each note that I really enjoy. They are on the top of my list for that reason.

Quote:
@Greg121986 - Did you hear the HD650 with the Fun? I can say it's a pretty damn good pairing without spending a small fortune.

Dec 30, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #401 of 29,490

Quote:

Audio Technica ATH-M50
Denon D1100
Sennheiser HD 280

If you are thinking of getting Denon D1001's look at the Creative Aurvana Live's. They are essentially the same headphone, same driver and both made by Foster of Japan. They can be bought for much less.

I have the CAL!'s and personally like them but I haven't tried any of the other ones you listed.

Dec 30, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #403 of 29,490
I have the Udac2, and are looking to upgrade it for another Dac/Amp (using both headphone out and pre out to monitors) and I'm looking for some new headphones. 
Not sure what to get, the Udac is good enough for the headphones ive been using up to now, but im not happy with the pre-out to my M-Audio BX5a's.
It may be partly the monitors sound signature, but ive read about others not happy with the "harsh" sound of the Udac, and thats my main complaint too.

the dac/amps im looking at; Maverick  D1, -Yulong D100, Matrix Mini i DAC
headphones im looking at; Denon AHD 2000, Audio-Technica ATH-M50

I dont have the opportunity to listen to any of these, so i was hoping for some feedback from other users. 
Im concidering getting the Mav, and the Denons, ive had a couple of cheaper denons before, and im pretty happy with the sound, on the other hand, the M50's are a bit cheaper and may be good enough?
And im more unsure about the Mav, would it help with the "harshness", and is it an upgrade in sound overall over the udac? 
How does the Matrix compare? 

All suggestions and feedback appreciated.

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #404 of 29,490
Originally Posted by Armaegis 
I'm going to repeat a recommendation I made above: Denon D2000 with the Jmoney leather earpad upgrade (since the denons have lousy isolation with the stock pads). For amps, maybe a Meier Audio Headsix. That's an amp only though. If you want one with a dac, perhaps an ibasso D2+ or D4.Overall though, how important is portability? I would not consider the D2000 a portable can.

Well It's ok, but i think that first I have to save money for the amp, which I think it's more important. The J$ lather ear pad can be purchased later. For my kind of music are good? 
I saw the ibasso d2 and the d4 on the website, but I can only buy them online or i can find that stuff in my local Hi-Fi store?
Other Suggestion about amps? maybe from someone who have it?

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #405 of 29,490
Another one looking for a pair (maybe more) of good headphones - full-size but portable. 

I listen to:
Rock - 75%
Classical - 10%
Funk - 10%
Other - 5%

I used to use ATH-ESW9s for portable but got tired of their heavy coloration (I do not want something totally neutral though, something with a touch of ESW9s coloration and smoothness with more clarity) and want to upgrade. I am waiting for a pair of D7000s to be used for home listening and a pair of CK10s to see how the top tier universal fit IEMs sound, but I definitely prefer headphones for traveling mainly for comfort. I would like the sound to be mostly on the neutral side but a bit of coloring like the ESW9s would be a nice touch to make the phones more enjoyable. I need the cans to be fast and not extremely bass heavy. Comfort is important too, but I think all of them can be modded one way or another to fit almost any head. 

I have been looking at many headphones and the ones that seem interesting are:

BeyerDynamic T5P
BeyerDynamic T50P - very mixed reviews
Denon AH-A100 = same as T50P
Audio Technica ESW10 - these used to be umber one on my list but are impossible to get nowadays
Ultrasone Ed8 - a bit pricey
Sony MDR-Z1000

I will also buy a Corda Stepdance from JAn to use with my D7000s so if need be I can use them with my portabe cans.

TIA,
Szadzik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back