++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 31, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #406 of 29,490
Hi Guys

I'm looking to buy my first pair of 'real' headphones.  I would prefer an over ear closed back design as I often listen with sometimes large amounts of background noise.  I listen to a wide variety of music, from heavy rock (AC/DC, Led Zepplin, Deep Purple etc), Pop (B52s) to female vocals (Norah Jones etc) and a little classical (I really want a life like sound from the 1812 overture!).  Right now I'd probably be listening to FLAC files I have ripped onto my computer but I wish to upgrade to a Rega P7 and valve amp.  I may possibly need more than one pair of 'phones!  Budget could be anything up to say $1200.  Thoughts and opinions would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #407 of 29,490
The Audez LCD 2 i heard is very good for natural sounding midrange vocals. They cost around 900ish? I havent heard them thou but you might want to check them out. 

Quote:
Hi Guys

I'm looking to buy my first pair of 'real' headphones.  I would prefer an over ear closed back design as I often listen with sometimes large amounts of background noise.  I listen to a wide variety of music, from heavy rock (AC/DC, Led Zepplin, Deep Purple etc), Pop (B52s) to female vocals (Norah Jones etc) and a little classical (I really want a life like sound from the 1812 overture!).  Right now I'd probably be listening to FLAC files I have ripped onto my computer but I wish to upgrade to a Rega P7 and valve amp.  I may possibly need more than one pair of 'phones!  Budget could be anything up to say $1200.  Thoughts and opinions would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #408 of 29,490
Hey everyone. I'm a bit confused as what to spend my money on but I'll follow the template mentioned earlier in this thread:

Music genres: Electronica and dance. Anything else with a clear, beautiful or heavy sound, including some classic and Kpop.
Portable: A bit of a non-question. If I can carry it with me I regard it as fully portable.
Price range: $100-$200.
Amped: I'd prefer not to stumble into the amplifier swamp.
Closed/Open: Doesn't really matter I guess, but I'll say closed.
Headphone preference: I'm a budding producer so I want to be able to use them in the 'studio'. I don't know too much about headphone colouring. I can imagine an analytical headphone will sound immersive with immersive music. I like my bass, though.

I've been looking into the ATH-M50s and they seem like a bit of a no-brainer. They look nice, can be had for the right price and will sound tremendous. What I'm most concerned about is if they are by any means 'professional' monitoring headphones. Given their low price point and (in Sweden) low availability, one can't help but wonder ...

So what do you say? The M50s or something completely else?

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #410 of 29,490
Hello,

Here's yet another headphone noob
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones to use with my laptop. I listen to a lot of rock/metal and sometimes to jazz/classical/ambient music. I will also use them for gaming, so they need to have some kind of positional audio.

Can you please recommend a good headphone model for these uses, and also a USB soundcard to go with them? I'm interested in the Creative X-Fi Go since it is portable and fits right into the USB port.

I heard that the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 were very good for gaming, but that they weren't so good for music. I was also thinking of upgrading to Sennheiser HD555's, since I currently use HD448's and Sennheiser are the only quality brand I've owned.

The Grado's seem to be good for rock, but they're overpriced here in europe.

Thanks in advance
normal_smile%20.gif

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #411 of 29,490

I am looking for a really high-quality full-size headphone for traveling, that is not an IEM, and budget is up to about $350. My three main contenders are:

Senheiser PXC 450

Audio Technica ATH-M50

Phiaton MS 400

I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions on these picks or any other you may have. Thanks!!

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #412 of 29,490

Quote:
Another one looking for a pair (maybe more) of good headphones - full-size but portable. 

I listen to:
Rock - 75%
Classical - 10%
Funk - 10%
Other - 5%

I used to use ATH-ESW9s for portable but got tired of their heavy coloration (I do not want something totally neutral though, something with a touch of ESW9s coloration and smoothness with more clarity) and want to upgrade. I am waiting for a pair of D7000s to be used for home listening and a pair of CK10s to see how the top tier universal fit IEMs sound, but I definitely prefer headphones for traveling mainly for comfort. I would like the sound to be mostly on the neutral side but a bit of coloring like the ESW9s would be a nice touch to make the phones more enjoyable. I need the cans to be fast and not extremely bass heavy. Comfort is important too, but I think all of them can be modded one way or another to fit almost any head. 

I have been looking at many headphones and the ones that seem interesting are:

BeyerDynamic T5P
BeyerDynamic T50P - very mixed reviews
Denon AH-A100 = same as T50P
Audio Technica ESW10 - these used to be umber one on my list but are impossible to get nowadays
Ultrasone Ed8 - a bit pricey
Sony MDR-Z1000

I will also buy a Corda Stepdance from JAn to use with my D7000s so if need be I can use them with my portabe cans.

TIA,
Szadzik

The T50p are indeed very polarizing. It's almost like they change sound signature from song to song and across different genres. Personally, I would say they would be a step sideways from the ESW9 rather than up. They are also on-ear, rather than around.

I haven't heard the rest of your options so can't comment... but do you really want to spend that kind of cash for a portable set? I say leave the expensive toys at home, and keep your portable set within the "expendable" price range in case it gets damaged/lost/stolen.

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #413 of 29,490
just a quick question, I've got sony mdr-v6. What would be a great update from those?

Portable: well i use the mdr-v6 portable so you cant really get worse than that right?
Closed: Wouldn't mind abit of leaking
Budget: nothin more than £150?

i just use these for general listening to anythin and got the FiiO E7 for christmas

Thanks

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #414 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi Guys

Cheers,

Chris

Getting that authentic 1812 sound (especially the cannons) is very difficult with speakers, nevermind headphones. In my experience, orthos do the best job of recreating that visceral feeling (probably good electrostatics as well, but I haven't heard any high end ones). Around your price range, you're playing with the big boys like the LCD-2 or HE series.

Here's the HE-6 and EF5 combo for $1300: http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=93

Before dropping that kind of money though, do a LOT of reading and try to attend a meet. Unless $1.3k is chump change to you, in which case spend away!

Quote:
Hey everyone. I'm a bit confused as what to spend my money on but I'll follow the template mentioned earlier in this thread:

Music genres: Electronica and dance. Anything else with a clear, beautiful or heavy sound, including some classic and Kpop.
Portable: A bit of a non-question. If I can carry it with me I regard it as fully portable.
Price range: $100-$200.
Amped: I'd prefer not to stumble into the amplifier swamp.
Closed/Open: Doesn't really matter I guess, but I'll say closed.
Headphone preference: I'm a budding producer so I want to be able to use them in the 'studio'. I don't know too much about headphone colouring. I can imagine an analytical headphone will sound immersive with immersive music. I like my bass, though.

I've been looking into the ATH-M50s and they seem like a bit of a no-brainer. They look nice, can be had for the right price and will sound tremendous. What I'm most concerned about is if they are by any means 'professional' monitoring headphones. Given their low price point and (in Sweden) low availability, one can't help but wonder ...

So what do you say? The M50s or something completely else?

I personally prefer the sound of the M-Audio Q40 over the M50 for electronica (and most genres honestly), and they cost about the same. The M50 have more of a "DJ" response curve, while the Q40s are more neutral yet have better deep extension in the low end.

Quote:
MS1i or ATH M50

I listen to modern rock, rock 'n roll, metal, and some pop.
It's a plus if they offer a better movie-watching experience.

I would personally choose the MS1, but for movie consideration the M50 will probably be better for you (more comfortable, better deep end, but less sound stage)

Quote:
Hello,

Here's yet another headphone noob
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones to use with my laptop. I listen to a lot of rock/metal and sometimes to jazz/classical/ambient music. I will also use them for gaming, so they need to have some kind of positional audio.

Can you please recommend a good headphone model for these uses, and also a USB soundcard to go with them? I'm interested in the Creative X-Fi Go since it is portable and fits right into the USB port.

I heard that the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 were very good for gaming, but that they weren't so good for music. I was also thinking of upgrading to Sennheiser HD555's, since I currently use HD448's and Sennheiser are the only quality brand I've owned.

The Grado's seem to be good for rock, but they're overpriced here in europe.

Thanks in advance
normal_smile%20.gif

The Senn 555 is a fine headphone and easily modded into the 595 (it's really just a piece of foam/tape). Do note however that the 555 is an open can, whereas the 448 is closed.

I've read reviews of the X-Fi go being a bit of a resource hog, which is bad for gaming (depends on what kind of games you play I suppose). I've had good experience with the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro (or Amigo if you need a mic input) and it's crazy cheap for only $30. The Micro also has optical out if you ever want to use an optical dac in the future. The merits of this are fuzzy and debatable, but the option is there.

Quote:

I am looking for a really high-quality full-size headphone for traveling, that is not an IEM, and budget is up to about $350. My three main contenders are:

Senheiser PXC 450
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Phiaton MS 400

I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions on these picks or any other you may have. Thanks!!

These are all quite different...
PXC450: really big, active noise canceling (the other two are passive)
M50: folds smaller (but still kinda big), recessed mids, heavy bass, worst isolation of the three, long cord, most durable
MS400: folds compactly into shell, supraaural (the other two are circumaural), good isolation, heavy bass

I personally like the sound of the MS400, but you should choose depending on your traveling criteria.

Quote:
just a quick question, I've got sony mdr-v6. What would be a great update from those?

Portable: well i use the mdr-v6 portable so you cant really get worse than that right?
Closed: Wouldn't mind abit of leaking
Budget: nothin more than £150?

i just use these for general listening to anythin and got the FiiO E7 for christmas

Thanks

Someone will inevitable say M50, but for a more similar sound I say the M-Audio Q40. Or How about the Senn HD25-1-ii? (I haven't recommended those in a while). I also really like the Phiaton MS400, but I'm just fan of their sound and they don't get enough representation on these forums.

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #415 of 29,490
 You can't beat the Phiaton for traveling, it folds flat and compact into a nice hardshell case.

Dec 31, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #416 of 29,490
Hey all, I just wanted to ask about the legitimacy about buydig.com.  I recently purchased a pair of ATATHESW9A headphones from them (which hasn't arrived yet) for $199.  I've heard that there were a lot of fakes being sold and I wanted to ask if anyone has purchased these headphones from them or maybe other products from buydig, and if you did, were they legit, or forgeries?  Also, how can I tell, upon arrival, if my headphones are a pair of the legit cans for fake ones?  thank you!!!

Richard 

Dec 31, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #417 of 29,490

Quote:
The T50p are indeed very polarizing. It's almost like they change sound signature from song to song and across different genres. Personally, I would say they would be a step sideways from the ESW9 rather than up. They are also on-ear, rather than around.

I haven't heard the rest of your options so can't comment... but do you really want to spend that kind of cash for a portable set? I say leave the expensive toys at home, and keep your portable set within the "expendable" price range in case it gets damaged/lost/stolen.

Yeah, I think I will have to take T50P off the list.

As for travelling with expensive phone - I do not mind. 

The reason I want to buy a pair of good phones for travelling is that I do not spend most of my time at home. I travel between a few places all the time and I can have my home rig in only one place. If I buy something of lesser quality for portable use it will also mean that I will have to use that most of the time, rarely enjoing better sound only when spending time at home. 

What I want to achieve is the ability to listen to good quality phones on the go and in the places I go to.

Taking T50Ps off the list I am left with:

BeyerDynamic T5P
Denon AH-A100 - polarizing reviews similar to T50P
Audio Technica ESW10 - these used to be umber one on my list but are impossible to get nowadays
Sony MDR-Z1000

Again, my aim is to get something fairly neutral with a lot of speed, a bit of coloration to make it more enjoable and something one ca listen to for 24 hours non-stop as I did with my ESW9s while travelling.

I lean towards T5Ps and alo loking at Z1000s.

What do you guys think?

TIA,
Szadzik

Dec 31, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #418 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all, I just wanted to ask about the legitimacy about buydig.com.  I recently purchased a pair of ATATHESW9A headphones from them (which hasn't arrived yet) for $199.  I've heard that there were a lot of fakes being sold and I wanted to ask if anyone has purchased these headphones from them or maybe other products from buydig, and if you did, were they legit, or forgeries?  Also, how can I tell, upon arrival, if my headphones are a pair of the legit cans for fake ones?  thank you!!!

Richard 

This is the list of Audio Technica's authorized internet resellers.
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/features/b759a28e8772ada5/index.html/
Unfortunately, buydig does not appear to be on that list... but to be sure you should contact Audio Technica and ask them. $199 is in the realm of "too good to be true", so be wary.

Do a search on the forums for fake esw9/esw9a. There are several threads, although I don't think there is any consolidated resource.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I think I will have to take T50P off the list.

As for travelling with expensive phone - I do not mind. 

The reason I want to buy a pair of good phones for travelling is that I do not spend most of my time at home. I travel between a few places all the time and I can have my home rig in only one place. If I buy something of lesser quality for portable use it will also mean that I will have to use that most of the time, rarely enjoing better sound only when spending time at home. 

What I want to achieve is the ability to listen to good quality phones on the go and in the places I go to.

Taking T50Ps off the list I am left with:

BeyerDynamic T5P
Denon AH-A100 - polarizing reviews similar to T50P
Sony MDR-Z1000

Again, my aim is to get something fairly neutral with a lot of speed, a bit of coloration to make it more enjoable and something one ca listen to for 24 hours non-stop as I did with my ESW9s while travelling.

I lean towards T5Ps and alo loking at Z1000s.

What do you guys think?

TIA,
Szadzik

I think I mentioned in another thread, since you live in Europe you can take a look at the offerings from Meier. He has a deal with 20% off an amp, and if buy a Beyer you get a free Headsix as well.

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #420 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:
MS1i or ATH M50

I listen to modern rock, rock 'n roll, metal, and some pop.
It's a plus if they offer a better movie-watching experience.

I would personally choose the MS1, but for movie consideration the M50 will probably be better for you (more comfortable, better deep end, but less sound stage)

I've owned both. I agree with Armaegis, although I found my MS-1i more comfortable after stretching the band on both cans. The MS-1i doesn't do too badly for movies, but the M50 has better impact because of its sub bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back