++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 26, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #227 of 29,490
I am looking for a new closed headphone to use with my computer, in a living room.

At the moment I am using a Sennheiser HD595. I want to go to a closed headphone because I am sitting 1 meter from a TV. The HD 595 is just to open for proper use next to the TV. Also my IE8s isolation isn't sufficient.

I listen to Hard Rock and other rock genres mostly. 

I am seeking a closed headphone that has
  1. The same Bass quality as the IE8, but a little less quantity.
  2. A somewhat warm sound.
  3. Great full mids
  4. Comfortable padding, Leather or velours. Not a problem if I can replace stock pads for different pads.
  5. Good isolation
  6. A soundstage like the IE8

I'd prefer one that is around 150$. 

Already thanks for the help 
normal_smile .gif

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #228 of 29,490
Hello, as this is my first post I would like to make you all fully aware that I'm a noob so please excuse my ignorance. I've been reading these forums for a bit of time now and learned quite a bit but was certainly baffled by quite a bit more.
Now that my introduction is done with I guess I'll get back on topic.

Budget: Preferably under three hundred for head phones and if needed an amp.
Genres: I listen to 80% Electronica including but not limited to: a lot of trance, a lot of hardstyle(ex. Headhunters, Brennan heart etc.), and house. The other 20% of time I'll be satisfying my curiosities with ska bands and other bands like Enter Shikari and A Day to Remember.
Listening: Mostly from my desktop but would still appreciate the ability to take it on the road during vacations with my iPhone. I don't mind a bulky setup.
Desires: As I listen to a lot of headhunters I would certainly appreciate some hard hitting but not overwhelming bass. Comfort is not completely essential, but I have a large head and certainly don't want any headaches. Something that would not completely reveal the glaring flaws from sourcing of iTunes mp3 player files and my iPhone 4. As I learn more I surely will change my methods, but for now this is what I have.

*This was all typed in my phone so please excuse poor grammar or errors.

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #229 of 29,490
Hi everyone Merry x-mas,

and I hope those who're live in east coast are sitting in home right now during the blizzard :/

I need your help to choose a good headphone for outside usage such as walking in the street, mall, library.. etc. 4 months ago I had bought Studio beats before I returned them because I felt the price is quite over for the quality. in addition, I bought shure 840 week ago and I returned them because I found it huge and sound quality isn't that good.

So I'm looking for a very good headphone :)

Budget: around 300$
Genre: mostly Rock, alternative.

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #230 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi everyone Merry x-mas,

and I hope those who're live in east coast are sitting in home right now during the blizzard :/

I need your help to choose a good headphone for outside usage such as walking in the street, mall, library.. etc. 4 months ago I had bought Studio beats before I returned them because I felt the price is quite over for the quality. in addition, I bought shure 840 week ago and I returned them because I found it huge and sound quality isn't that good.

So I'm looking for a very good headphone :)

Budget: around 300$
Genre: mostly Rock, alternative.

Preferred sound signature? I'm assuming you like a bassy sound  though.

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #231 of 29,490
ifusion and Ultimateanthem
Phiaton MS 400, with maybe an iBasso T3/T4 (nice but not necessary). See the review in my profile.

Teerdz
If you're not getting enough isolation from an iem, you're going to be hard pressed to find much better in a full sized headphone. The best you can get in that price range would be the Sennheiser HD280. A step beyond your budget might get you the the Beyerdynamic DT770.

Johnnydrama
Take a look at the Beyerdynamic T50p.

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #232 of 29,490
I am looking to upgrade my current headphones, my budget is around $200 could extend if necessary
I currently have the Alessandro MS-1's, whilst they sound great at times, they do fatigue me and sometimes they are just generally unpleasant to listen to, also they tend to get uncomfortable after long sessions of music listening (2 are more hours)
I've tried my friend's Audio Technica AD900 and they are amazing, so detailed and warm and comfortable, they address all my problems I've had with the MS-1's
Are these the best headphones for me? Anything better than these for the price range?
I listen to a lot of jazz, classical, many forms of rock, sometimes extreme forms of metal, electronic music (not as often though), so I would like a well-rounded headphone
Thanks

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #233 of 29,490
Hi,

I'm new to cans. Have been using IEMs for a while (~10 years) beginning with my Shure e300 series, then upgraded to UM3X and finally JH13. Done.

From swapping around my amps, I know that I prefer sound with smaller soundstage (TTVJ MHP over Protector). I also like punchy bass (ala my iQube) and warmer music.

I plan to start at the beginning with cans so I can upgrade slowly and enjoy the process. I'm getting a Grado SR60i to get aquainted with the Grado sound; what other beginner headphones can I consider that will give me a good intro to the sound signatures of different companies?

PS, comfort (and hopefully a lighter weight) is very important for me, since that was the key reason I got started with IEMs in the first place.

Thanks!

Dec 26, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #234 of 29,490
For AKG, you could probably get a K400/500 for $100ish, and it's (very) arguably the best headphone group they've made south of the K1000/K340. Although, some may say the K240 Sextetts are better, and looking at your preferences, you'd probably like them more. But you could be like me and love both.
For Beyerdynamic, uhh...there really isn't too much great on the low end of pricing. DT48? But you probably won't like them.
Fostex makes great sub $100 headphones, and their flagship is about $75.
Audio Technica's weird and all over the place.
Denon: D1000?
Sennheiser: Uhh...they have large soundstage, and don't have too much experience on the low end.

Dec 26, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #235 of 29,490

Quote:
UltimateCrash
Maybe look into the Audio Technica AD700, which are on sale for $100 through amazon.

neil1138
Bear in mind that the M50 is quite literally like the black sheep of the AT family and that none of their other headphones sound like it. If you want something that sounds like an upgraded M50, I would suggest the Phiaton PS 500 (which has been described in some reviews as an "M60"). If you want to stay within the AT family, then I suggest either the A900 or ESW9a.

Thanks for the input, it was very helpful.

Another Question: Denon D2000 vs Audio Technica ATH-A900  not AD900. I've literally spent hours researching this. From what I've gathered:

A900: Good bass, lacking mids, decent highs
AD900: Bass, what bass? great mids, great highs
D2000: Great bass (might be a bit much?), good mids, occasionally harsh highs

I currently own the M50s and the main thing that it lacks is a good soundstage, at least for me. I want something that has better (more crisp and intimate) bass. And something that has better mids because the M50s has some srsly recessed mids. I think the Denon D2000 is my best option, any input on this one? I guess I like closed cans more than open ones. I would like a larger soundstage than the M50s offers and while I know open cans generally have large soundstages, the A900 and D2000 still have better soundstages than the M50s, I think so at least. I would like some isolation even though these will be worn at home 100% of the time. 

The source is my 15" Unibody MBP and I do have a good stereo receiver (which I don't really use but it can be used as a decent amp). 

Dec 26, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #237 of 29,490
Armaegis
I do hope you know the IE8 sits quit shallow in the ear canal. In my case this is the situation with the IE8. They let through more sound than one would expect and I have tried alot of tips on the IE8 yet none would isolate sufficient.

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #238 of 29,490
Thank you for your replies, they have helped quite a bit.
Just so you know, I will follow the Fostex recommendation. I believe I have become an ortho fan, even without hearing the cans for myself! Hard to explain, but a lot of things in life are.
New questions now! (Another step forward is another two steps backward 
etysmile.gif
)

Where the HECK can I even buy the Fostex T50RP?
I did my homework and am aware of the differences between the T50 (vintage), versions 1 and 2, and the T50RP, versions 1 and 2.
I am looking for the T50RP v2. And I think many people are as well, because they seem to be out of stock.
From what I've heard the T50RP v2 has a different, more round earpad shape and a more flattened response, which is what I'm going for.
All of the online stores I usually use say the Fostex T50RP are sold out. There are some vendors on other websites that I am unfamiliar with that claim they are selling them, but I am unsure of their credibility, which version (v1 or v2) and whether they are truly in stock or not.
I am sure many others are wanting to know too. Maybe some have found out, I'm just asking.

Thanks for putting me on another journey, it's been a pleasure reading some of the threads here.
For two posts, I believe I have had quite the learning experience!

Regards,
Mangoloid

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #239 of 29,490
Hey there!

I have a question for you. I'm currently looking for a new pair of headphones at the price of maximum 150 dollars. I'll be using the headphones for listening to music 95% of the time. I usually listen to a lot of rock, trance and d'n'b, so bass is very important to me. There's nothing much else to say really, besides I want them to be comfortable ofc.

Thx!

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #240 of 29,490
T50RP stocks should be coming in soon (January) but right now they are mostly on backorder. I think there are a couple online retailers that may have a few left but it won't be long before they are widely available -- I'm waiting for some myself!  
smile_phones.gif

Quote:
Thank you for your replies, they have helped quite a bit.
Just so you know, I will follow the Fostex recommendation. I believe I have become an ortho fan, even without hearing the cans for myself! Hard to explain, but a lot of things in life are.
New questions now! (Another step forward is another two steps backward 
etysmile.gif
)

Where the HECK can I even buy the Fostex T50RP?
I did my homework and am aware of the differences between the T50 (vintage), versions 1 and 2, and the T50RP, versions 1 and 2.
I am looking for the T50RP v2. And I think many people are as well, because they seem to be out of stock.
From what I've heard the T50RP v2 has a different, more round earpad shape and a more flattened response, which is what I'm going for.
All of the online stores I usually use say the Fostex T50RP are sold out. There are some vendors on other websites that I am unfamiliar with that claim they are selling them, but I am unsure of their credibility, which version (v1 or v2) and whether they are truly in stock or not.
I am sure many others are wanting to know too. Maybe some have found out, I'm just asking.

Thanks for putting me on another journey, it's been a pleasure reading some of the threads here.
For two posts, I believe I have had quite the learning experience!

Regards,
Mangoloid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back