++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 26, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #212 of 29,490

Quote:
yea, i would agree with u that the d7000 would sound better

but due to budget constraints, i am currently looking to buy a pair of near new d5000 for around $250usd, whereas brand new d7000 cost as much (as low as) $600usd

I just treated myself to an HD650 that I'm enamored with, but now I'm poor. That price for the D5k is in impulse buy territory. Where can you get it new that cheap?

Dec 26, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #214 of 29,490
Hi guys,

I buying a new pair of headphones for my brother as a gift. He has some Skullcrap cans and his other pair are some CX-300 II Precision I bought him a while ago to use them with his iPod.

He listens to Classic Hip-Hop basically and this pair are gonna be for home use, maybe out sometime IDK. He is gonna use them with his laptop almost 99% of the time for music and watching some college footbal games and such.

The budget is bit tight (100€ / 130$ max) and the 3 options I´m considering are:

Sony XB500 or XB700 These ones fit nicely within my budget but I think htey are just boomy bass and nothing else.
Sennheiser HD 448
AKG K 142HD

Any other option or recommendation is welcome. I´m located in Europe so no Newegg or Best Buy for me.

Can you help me guys? Thanks a lot.

Dec 26, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #215 of 29,490
For those looking at the Denon line, the J$ earpads are an absolute must buy. It increases comfort significantly, as well as seal properly and prevent leakage which is crucial for a closed can (and will bring up your bass considerably).

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #216 of 29,490
Hi. I'm wondering if some headphone nerds can simply tell me what my options are. I have a budget of about £100, but I'm willing to spend more. What I want is this:

- decent sound
- decent comfort
- preferably closed back
- preferably with cables that can be replaced.

To give you an idea of the sound I'm after, I've used my dad's Sennheiser's HD580s and liked them a lot and (as ashamed as I am to admit it) I also quite liked Monster Beats by Dre Studio headphones but I don't trust them as a brand and would rather keep away. I've been looking at Audio Technica's ES7s but I'm worried about the flimsiness of the cable (even though my dad is a badman with a soldering iron).

So what are my options?
Thanks a lot,

thewza

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #217 of 29,490
Hey, Im looking to buy headphones in the $100-150 range.

The primary use of the headphones will be for producing hip-hop and electro music. But I would like to use them for outside recreational listening.

My budget is in the $100-150 price range. 

From what I've read, I would be better off getting closed headphones for public use (school, library, etc). My results of searching closed headphones I've came up with:
ATH-M50 and the SRH840

Are these good for my criteria? Is there any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #218 of 29,490
thewza

If you like your dad's 580, nothing wrong with getting the same. They are relatively cheap and easily upgradeable to the 600 (just pick up the 600 grills and 650 cable off ebay, or order them directly). There are also the 5x8 series which are new. They're a little more money, but I think the prices are cheaper in Europe.

In closed flavours that might sound similar... HD 228, HD 438 (the PX200-ii is nice, but drops in the highs)

Ghettobob

If you're serious about producing, you will want separate headphones for that. A production/studio headphone should be flat and neutral. A "fun" headphone typically has a U-shaped smiley face frequency response, but if you make your mixes on that the actual mix levels will be flipped into a frown EQ since the the top and bottom were exaggerated on your headphones.

That said, between the 840 and the M50, the 840 is a little thicker in the bass but has a much smoother frequency response across the spectrum.

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #219 of 29,490
Ok guys been lurking for a while first post here. So iv been eyeing the hd600 for some time now on christmas my girlfriend bought me a pair of hd595. So now i have a dilema im going to keep the 595, would getting a pair of hd600 be to similar? Im looking at the dt880 600ohms would they complement my 595? Also any other suggestions in the 300 dollar range new or used i listen to rock and hip hop (not overly bassy club music). Source is a x fi titanium hd sound card to a ld mk3

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #220 of 29,490
Hi, I want to buy some headphones(first good ones), I read about ath-m50. I want to know if are those good for all genres of music. I'm going to buy a sansa clip plus, also. Are they "compatible", or those headphones need more power? Thanks.

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #221 of 29,490

Budget-$250, more if the upgrade is huge

Music genres I listen to:

1. Indie
  2. Electronic/Dubstep
  3. Rock
  4. Small portion of Hip-Hop

Currently using AD700s, have amp, might even upgrade later...

Dec 26, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #222 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I want to buy some headphones(first good ones), I read about ath-m50. I want to know if are those good for all genres of music. I'm going to buy a sansa clip plus, also. Are they "compatible", or those headphones need more power? Thanks.

An amp is not essential for the M50 so it will be fine for the sansa clip as source. Don't worry about what it does and doesn't do well. People stating that it's not great for a particular genre doesn't mean it suddenly sounds worse because there are other headphones "better" suited. No headphone is perfect, but the M50 ticks a lot of boxes and at its price point should be a no-brainer.

Dec 26, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #223 of 29,490

Quote:
Ok guys been lurking for a while first post here. So iv been eyeing the hd600 for some time now on christmas my girlfriend bought me a pair of hd595. So now i have a dilema im going to keep the 595, would getting a pair of hd600 be to similar? Im looking at the dt880 600ohms would they complement my 595? Also any other suggestions in the 300 dollar range new or used i listen to rock and hip hop (not overly bassy club music). Source is a x fi titanium hd sound card to a ld mk3

Your gf just spent a lot of money and got you a very thoughtful gift. Don't spoil the sentiment by getting another set of headphones (she might think you don't like the ones she got you, or something like that). I was going to suggest getting a new dac/amp, but what you have is pretty good already. Wait a few months, save up for some bigger cans, or treat your gf to something.

Quote:

The M50 is a good starter can and very popular here (even though personally I'm not a fan). They don't really need an amp; the sansa clip will work just fine unless you really super loud volumes. I would save up money for a higher end can before spending money to amp the M50. Down the line, consider buying the Shure 840 pads to replace the M50 ones; you'll get better isolation and comfort, and it never hurts to have a spare set of pads if you wear them a lot.

Dec 26, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #224 of 29,490

Quote:

Budget-$250, more if the upgrade is huge

Music genres I listen to:
  1. Indie
  2. Electronic/Dubstep
  3. Rock
  4. Small portion of Hip-Hop

Currently using AD700s, have amp, might even upgrade later...

How about the Phiaton MS 400. Great looks, superb low end for the electronic stuff, portable.

Dec 26, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #225 of 29,490
Ghettobob & Vlais: check this link for a comparison of the M50, SRH840, and other closed cans in your price range: http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/

Both the SRH840 and M50s are very popular here. Both will work very well without an amplifier as mentioned above (though everyone agrees that an amp always helps!). I've owned neither but have tried both. Seems like the M50s are more popular for "bassheads" while 840s might be more neutral overall but try to audition a few before you buy if you can. For those of you in the US, most Guitar Centers and Sam Ash stores will allow you to audition the cans they carry.

For those of you like Thewza looking for closed cans in the $100 range, there is a good comparison of the Shure SRH440, Sennheiser HD448, and two other phones here: 
http://www.headphone.com/rightbetweenyourears/?p=460 [Note that the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones use the same driver as the Denon AH-D1001 phones in this review and are pretty popular in this price backet around here] 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back