++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #61 of 29,490
I haven't tried the phones you listed, but I do have the Denon D1100s and with some EQ'ing they can sound pretty darn awesome. What I did was raise the 32 bass while lowering the mid and high bass. I raised the mids and the highers to various degrees and it really opened things up. The D1100's sound very crisp and clear and I'm sure you've heard of the insane bass on this. I have also listened to some Lord of the Rings music and ALL of the songs sounded fantastic. Since you like orchestral music, I can say that the strings sounded good and accurate. They are $135 off amazon at the moment I believe so you should definitely consider it.

Quote:
Hey just saw this thread. I have my mind set on 2 or 3 models already. I need full-sized, clear sound, with a bit more on the bass side. Mainly for rock and metal, but when I want to listen to Yann Tiersen's violin, it should sound clear and airy. My current equipment is a Sony A845 with the sock IEMs, which to me sound really good. Help is on the way, in the shape of a Fiio E5 and a line-out from Fiio for my Sony.

I was going for the Shure SRH750DJ, but was also considering the Shure SRH840 or the Sennheiser HD448. From what some people wrote, the SRH750s are like the SRH840 but not so neutral, more bass-inclined. However they don't sacrifice mids and treble in order to do so, and like I mentioned, that's important.

Also, my current IEMs are open (I think, because the opening is just for the noise cancelling), and their soundstage sounds ok, I don't have much to compare to. I really enjoy being able to separate the instruments in my head, and blending all together kind of sucks =(

The HD448 have no bass impact, and I'm not sure I want to rely on my Fiio E5 to have that. Same thing with the 840s. They are great headphones, but maybe more for monitoring.

So, now that my extreme requirements have been made knwon, what do you suggest?

PS: The M50s are hard to get where I live, and I have a good deal on the the HD448 and the SRH750

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #63 of 29,490
I am looking for a $400-600 closed headphone. It will be paired with either Fiio E7+E9 or Asus Essence STX.

Genres: Rock - 45%, Trance/Techno - 35%, R&B/Hip-Hop - 20%

Alternative Rock - Coldplay, The Killers, Matchbox Twenty, The Fray, Panic! At The Disco, U2
Indie - Band of Horses, The Strokes, The Bravery, Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand
Classics - The Beatles, The Queens, Nirvana, Pink Floyd

Trance/Techno - David Guetta, Deadmau5, Armin Van Buuren, Tiesto, Daft Punk, Roger Sanchez, Kaskade

R&B/Hip-Hop/Rap - Kanye West, Akon, Jay-Z, Usher, John Legend, Ne-Yo, Tupac

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #66 of 29,490
thanks freedom for your help!

does anyone else have any suggestions for what i'm looking for, pleeeeease? :)

i'm REALLY intrigued by the ad700s because so many people talk about the soundstage, but i am hesitant at pulling the trigger because so many people also comment about the bass. but it seems like this issue can be resolved by a little EQ and especially if i buy an amp - is this true? any other comments about the ad700s or other suggestions?

thank you again!

p.s. i feel like people comment on the ad700s for gaming - i do not game. at least not enough to sway my headphone purchase in any way. i will use them PRIMARILY for music.

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #67 of 29,490
They are easily superior to all those headphones and until you go the 1k+ price bracket you aren't going to find better; different yes but better no.  

Quote:
How would they compare to denon d5000, beyerdynamic dt 770, and audio technica a900.

Dec 21, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #69 of 29,490

Quote:
aleex, I really enjoy the synergy the HD650 has with my Audio-GD Fun. As I've stated many times in other threads, with my setup the HD650 gets more things right than wrong. I love how lush and textured the presentation is and I'm able to just enjoy the music without nit picking the headphone's deficiencies.

Have you considered the HD600? If Audio-GD delivers with the NFB12, that pairing could really be an amazing bang for buck setup.

I've read that the HD600 is a bit more neutral than the 650 and they're pretty much the same price (277 vs 289~ EUR, though the HD600's might be much cheaper in another store but the 650's are around 290EUR) so if the HD650's less neutral I'd rather grab that.
Right now I'm leaning towards the 650's real much, but I'm gonna do a lot mor research before grabbing them. And I might not get the DAC/AMP now  but in a few months

Dec 21, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #70 of 29,490

Try the ones you can try and pick the one you like the most. Although I will admit to liking the K240 a lot (they aren't called groovalizers for nothing!) I'm not sure that they'd be the best for hardcore especially in your situation. They're a bit...slow unamped. Honestly, I preferred my K271 for that genre, but I'm probably the only one who feels that way. They tend to lack bass for that. And like power. Honestly, I'd save up your money until you can get an amp. Anything you get now won't be a justifiable upgrade (yes, it'll be better, but not exponentially so.) to your Grados for your genres.

Thanks a ton for this.

I tested out the AKG K240 mkII, dt770/80, dt770/250, dt990/250, and the M50. These were my top picks and what seemed to fit what I listened to (minus the AKGs). None of them were hooked up to an amp (just to my phone as I didn't have a headphone amp on me). I listened to a wide variety of songs (even from genres I rarely listened to) on all of the cans. I found that both the DT 770s and the DT990/250 didn't really suit my personal taste. They were incredibly bass heavy as many people have said. I didn't really find that it imposed on the mids as everyone claimed, but it lacked treble and that sort of 'bright' sound that I loved about my Grados (also, the sound stage on these were not very wide). They also were slightly uncomfortable. I skipped out on those ones. I then listened to the M50s very briefly as other people were keen on listening to them as well. They sounded good.

Finally, I listened to the AKG K240 mkII (I would have listened to the K271s, but they weren't on display). THIS was what I was looking for. This type of sound. I knew when I listened to the amazing highs, tight bass and nice clean mids that these were "the perfect cans" (for me, at least). I got really impulsive and instead of listening to the other cans up on display briefly, I went ahead and purchased the K240s and to my surprise, they had a special running on them. So with the money I saved along with a bit of extra, I upgraded the headphone amp that I was using at my house because I knew they wouldn't be able to drive these things (the headphone amp I have at my house is terrible).

Well, needless to say, I got what I wanted and I'm not disappointed. I wish I could describe the sound like the rest of you are able to, but alas, I can't. They just sound good to my ears :p.

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #71 of 29,490

Quote:

Try the ones you can try and pick the one you like the most. Although I will admit to liking the K240 a lot (they aren't called groovalizers for nothing!) I'm not sure that they'd be the best for hardcore especially in your situation. They're a bit...slow unamped. Honestly, I preferred my K271 for that genre, but I'm probably the only one who feels that way. They tend to lack bass for that. And like power. Honestly, I'd save up your money until you can get an amp. Anything you get now won't be a justifiable upgrade (yes, it'll be better, but not exponentially so.) to your Grados for your genres.

Thanks a ton for this.

I tested out the AKG K240 mkII, dt770/80, dt770/250, dt990/250, and the M50. These were my top picks and what seemed to fit what I listened to (minus the AKGs). None of them were hooked up to an amp (just to my phone as I didn't have a headphone amp on me). I listened to a wide variety of songs (even from genres I rarely listened to) on all of the cans. I found that both the DT 770s and the DT990/250 didn't really suit my personal taste. They were incredibly bass heavy as many people have said. I didn't really find that it imposed on the mids as everyone claimed, but it lacked treble and that sort of 'bright' sound that I loved about my Grados (also, the sound stage on these were not very wide). They also were slightly uncomfortable. I skipped out on those ones. I then listened to the M50s very briefly as other people were keen on listening to them as well. They sounded good.

Finally, I listened to the AKG K240 mkII (I would have listened to the K271s, but they weren't on display). THIS was what I was looking for. This type of sound. I knew when I listened to the amazing highs, tight bass and nice clean mids that these were "the perfect cans" (for me, at least). I got really impulsive and instead of listening to the other cans up on display briefly, I went ahead and purchased the K240s and to my surprise, they had a special running on them. So with the money I saved along with a bit of extra, I upgraded the headphone amp that I was using at my house because I knew they wouldn't be able to drive these things (the headphone amp I have at my house is terrible).

Well, needless to say, I got what I wanted and I'm not disappointed. I wish I could describe the sound like the rest of you are able to, but alas, I can't. They just sound good to my ears :p.

Wait until you try the Sextett version.
wink.gif
Derrrrrrrp
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #72 of 29,490
I need closed head phone for work and home. I was looking at the Utrazone 750 pro, and the Beyerdynamic DT770. Also I have a NuForce D2 at work and wonder if a DT770 600 ohm can be driven by it.

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #73 of 29,490
oh how i wish there was somewhere in the US that you can go and try out different headphones. the best i know of is best buy but they only have beats or something like that... probably because americans will most likely go and listen, come home, and purchase online and the store would lose money. 
blink.gif

any head-fiers in atlanta who want to let me listen in on their headphones? lol... j/k. kinda.

is there anywhere we can go to try out headphones?

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #74 of 29,490
I'm looking for phones up to 200EUR. I was looking for something like HD650, AKG K701/2, Shure 840, Denon D2000, Beyers 880? I mostly listen electronic music(trance, house, d'n'b,...) but also much more "SQ" music like Nils Lofgren, Dire Straits etc. I don't want bass-shy phones, I want that bass has powerfull impact/extension. I also found Sony SA3000 for ~140EUR, are they good(in same quality range as phones posted above)?

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #75 of 29,490

Quote:
you know, this link would solve everything. i mean everything.

http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

Except that it doesn't have many options listed, and says that amps are required for some headphones where other people have told me they aren't.  Of course whether you need an amp or not depends on what you're feeding it with, so what was the assumption in the list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back