++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 23, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #91 of 29,490
IIRC, the 32 ohm beyers only come with a blue outer ring. The Amazon picture is wrong. And it depends for the genres you listen to.

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #92 of 29,490
I find the blue ring looks better than the normal black ring of the other Premium DTs.

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #93 of 29,490
thx for replying to me :D
can my sound card handle 250ohm or 80ohm? and are there much diffrence between 32 ohm and 80 ohm and 250 ohm? i'm the kind of guy that listens to everything that sounds good (well except rap,hip hop) :D

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #94 of 29,490
The Premium Beyers (even the 32 ohm variants) need an amp to truly shine, but they aren't terrible to hear without an amp. I dunno how good your soundcard is, so unfortunately I dunno how well it drives them, but I do know that the 600ohms should definitely use an external amp to bring out more of their potential.

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #95 of 29,490
Great thread, haven't had the time to look through it yet.

My question, I am upgrading from SR60, been doing a lot of research and want get headphones in the $300 range.
I have looked at HD650, HD598, DT880/32, and DT990/32. I can't make a decision, do you guys have any more advice on what headphones I can get in the price range.
I basically want a good soundstage, comfort, not that high of an impedance so I can run it off an E7 and possibly and E9 setup. Musical preference is varied.

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #96 of 29,490

My question, I am upgrading from SR60, been doing a lot of research and want get headphones in the $300 range.
I have looked at HD650, HD598, DT880/32, and DT990/32. I can't make a decision, do you guys have any more advice on what headphones I can get in the price range.
I basically want a good soundstage, comfort, not that high of an impedance so I can run it off an E7 and possibly and E9 setup. Musical preference is varied.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #97 of 29,490
Hi, I'd like help choosing some headphones for home use.

I have limited previous experience with headphones, I currently use sennheiser cx300-II's when out and denon ahd501 at home, I also own some sennheiser 477's and some technics I dont know the model of.
so far the denon's are the best I have listened too.

I have a Fiio E5 but will soon have a little dot mkIII amp and would like to get some headphones that would be suitable and take better advantage of the amp.

I listen to most types of music, with perhaps the exception of hip hop and classical, I intend to play music with my macbook into the little dot, upgrading in the future with a DAC.

I enjoy the bass of the denon's but something slightly bassier would be nice, the sennheiser 477's are too bassy and are difficult to listen to on sensitive days.
I am thinking of getting a dolby headphone encoder for using my PS3/macbook for films and games and would like the headphones to have a decently wide soundstage incase I do.

I have been looking at sennheiser 595's, although have no experience of open phones.

looking to spend £100-£150.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #98 of 29,490
Looks like a pair of fostex t50 would suit you. They cost around 240 USD and have a very natural electrostatic sound. 

Quote:
Hi, I'd like help choosing some headphones for home use.

I have limited previous experience with headphones, I currently use sennheiser cx300-II's when out and denon ahd501 at home, I also own some sennheiser 477's and some technics I dont know the model of.
so far the denon's are the best I have listened too.

I have a Fiio E5 but will soon have a little dot mkIII amp and would like to get some headphones that would be suitable and take better advantage of the amp.

I listen to most types of music, with perhaps the exception of hip hop and classical, I intend to play music with my macbook into the little dot, upgrading in the future with a DAC.

I enjoy the bass of the denon's but something slightly bassier would be nice, the sennheiser 477's are too bassy and are difficult to listen to on sensitive days.
I am thinking of getting a dolby headphone encoder for using my PS3/macbook for films and games and would like the headphones to have a decently wide soundstage incase I do.

I have been looking at sennheiser 595's, although have no experience of open phones.

looking to spend £100-£150.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #100 of 29,490

Music genres: 80% Metal, 15% dubstep, 5% electro

Portable: No, only at the computer.

Price range: $200 with amp and headphones

Amped: yes

Closed/Open: closed

Headphone preference: i just want to enjoy the music!

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #101 of 29,490

Music genres: 30% Black Metal, 10% Folk Metal, 30% Post-metal,rock or Doom Metal, 20% Blues-rock, 5% Electronica(psy-trance, dubstep), 5% Classical

Portable: No thanks

Price range: $200-$500 with or without Amp, currently using ASUS Essence STX soundcard

Amped: Amp built into sound card/ weak amp

Closed/Open: no preferance

Headphone preference: I currently have Grado SR-80is which I find too bright, lacking in bass, and disapointing in sound stage. Also they are too forward for my tastes, I like to relax to my music, but I also like to rock out to my metal sometimes, if I had to go with one it would be relaxing. I want to be able to feel the bass in the post genre music and I want the bass to be able to go really low, but I need the headphone to be able to be faithful to my music that has absolutely no bass. I need something fast to keep up with the black metal, but relaxed enough to do the blues. I also want a much larger soundstage, but I still want to feel I am in the game when I game

Is there any one headphone that can do this, especially in my price range? I have been looking at Beyers, Denons and Ultrasones. I am a bit worried about the clamping force of the Ultrasones though as I wear glasses. Can someone steer me right here? I am lost and as much fun as I have had with my Grados since I got them, they really  don't work for many of the genres I am starting to get into. 

Also I would like to say I will proboly get a proper amp later on, and depending on what I end up buying I will proboly get my headphones modded in the future too.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #102 of 29,490
Okay, so I seriously need help picking some headphones.

Music genre of choice: I do listen to almost everything, but I lean towards electronic, trance and house music.

Budget: 200-400

Headphones I'm looking into:
- Grado SR325is
- Grado SR225i
- Denon D2000 (AHD2000?)

Isolation: Not a must. Would be a nice add, though.

Right now I'll be using them directly from my laptop/iPod, would be considering a portable amp any time later.

Thanks for the help!
Happy holidays.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #103 of 29,490
How bout Beyerdinamic DT440?

Quote:

Music genres: 30% Black Metal, 10% Folk Metal, 30% Post-metal,rock or Doom Metal, 20% Blues-rock, 5% Electronica(psy-trance, dubstep), 5% Classical
Portable: No thanks
Price range: $200-$500 with or without Amp, currently using ASUS Essence STX soundcard
Amped: Amp built into sound card/ weak amp
Closed/Open: no preferance
Headphone preference: I currently have Grado SR-80is which I find too bright, lacking in bass, and disapointing in sound stage. Also they are too forward for my tastes, I like to relax to my music, but I also like to rock out to my metal sometimes, if I had to go with one it would be relaxing. I want to be able to feel the bass in the post genre music and I want the bass to be able to go really low, but I need the headphone to be able to be faithful to my music that has absolutely no bass. I need something fast to keep up with the black metal, but relaxed enough to do the blues. I also want a much larger soundstage, but I still want to feel I am in the game when I game
Is there any one headphone that can do this, especially in my price range? I have been looking at Beyers, Denons and Ultrasones. I am a bit worried about the clamping force of the Ultrasones though as I wear glasses. Can someone steer me right here? I am lost and as much fun as I have had with my Grados since I got them, they really  don't work for many of the genres I am starting to get into. 
Also I would like to say I will proboly get a proper amp later on, and depending on what I end up buying I will proboly get my headphones modded in the future too.

Are you sure about grado? FWIR (I only listen to grado SR60i for a time) grado bass is inda light. Maybe denon? or for cheaper solution, go for M50
Quote:

Music genre of choice: I do listen to almost everything, but I lean towards electronic, trance and house music.

- Grado SR325is
- Grado SR225i
- Denon D2000 (AHD2000?)

Right now I'll be using them directly from my laptop/iPod, would be considering a portable amp any time later.

Thanks for the help!
Happy holidays.

Go for 598 or DT880/32. Stay away from HD650. I don't think your E7 capable of powering it fully.

Quote:

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #104 of 29,490

Nope, not sure, they're just what I think I like..
So you don't recommend any of the headphones I listed? Not even the Denon?

Quote:
Are you sure about grado? FWIR (I only listen to grado SR60i for a time) grado bass is inda light. Maybe denon? or for cheaper solution, go for M50 Quote:

- Grado SR325is
- Grado SR225i
- Denon D2000 (AHD2000?)

Thanks for the help!
Happy holidays.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #105 of 29,490

So, it came down a little to:

- Shure SRH750 DJ
- ATH-M50

Thoughts?
biggrin.gif

Quote:

- Grado SR325is
- Grado SR225i
- Denon D2000 (AHD2000?)

Thanks for the help!
Happy holidays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back