++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 5, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #14,536 of 29,490
Quote:

For 300$ you can get good headphones and good DAC/amp combo.   150$ headphones + 150$ dac/amp will sound better than 300$ headphones out of an iphone or computer.

You could just stick to the safe side and get the M50 + Audioengine D2  or Fiio E7+E9.
Or Beyerdynamic DT770pro / DT990pro.  Those would also work very well for your genres.  And all of them will impress you more than Beats. :p

Thanks man!
Im stuck between the M50 with the Fiio E7 and the DT990pro, but do you have any experience with the Ultrasone hfi780 or the Dennon 2k that everyone talks about?

May 5, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #14,537 of 29,490
Quote:
I finally decided to get myself a "good" pair of cans, but i cant make up my mind!! Ive done some research and heard alot of good things  about the M50's but i think they might lack some bass, also ive tried dre's beats, they amazed me at first but after a while the bass sounded artificial...
I'm looking for some headphones that will provide very clear sound and strong clear bass is a must!
i listen to a lot of dubstep (mt eden, skrillex etc), electro (swedish house mafia, tiesto etc), hiphop and rock (the strokes, arctic monkeys, linkin park etc)
So i want them to be good for all genres!
Also my budget is $300 and i will use them with my iphone and computer so preferably some very good cans without an amp..  
Like i said this would be my first "real" pair headphones considering im using the apple headphones atm haha and i dont want to end up buying something im not 100% satisfied with... 
PLease help

I'd look into some Ultrasones as they will give you the bass that you want and their sound signatures are matched very well for EDM. I can speak for the DJ1 Pro (the ones that I have) but there are several other pairs that get a lot of praise and they are in the $100 - $200 range. As the other person mentioned, the DT770s are also very nice. If you're only points of reference are Dre beats and Apple earbuds any suggestions that are thrown out here will likely leave you very happy.

Also, as the derbigpr said, I would recommend spend part of the budget on the headphones and the other on an amp/dac as a $300 pair would have a lot of wasted potential if under-powered and the source that they are getting the audio from is not good.

May 5, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #14,538 of 29,490
Quote:

I'd look into some Ultrasones as they will give you the bass that you want and their sound signatures are matched very well for EDM. I can speak for the DJ1 Pro (the ones that I have) but there are several other pairs that get a lot of praise and they are in the $100 - $200 range. As the other person mentioned, the DT770s are also very nice. If you're only points of reference are Dre beats and Apple earbuds any suggestions that are thrown out here will likely leave you very happy.

Also, as the derbigpr said, I would recommend spend part of the budget on the headphones and the other on an amp/dac as a $300 pair would have a lot of wasted potential if under-powered and the source that they are getting the audio from is not good.

Thanks man!
Im stuck between the M50 with the Fiio E7 and the DT990pro, but do you have any experience with the Ultrasone hfi780 or the Dennon 2k that everyone talks about?

May 5, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #14,539 of 29,490
budget 120 euros. 
headphones full size. 
here are the ones I found: 

Shure SRH440
Sennheiser HDR160
SennHeiser PX360
Pioneer HDJ500
Sennheiser HD 215-II
Sennheiser HD 518
Sony MDR-ZX700
Ultrasone HIFI 450
Philips CitiScape
Panasonic RP-WF950E-S

which ones are the best? 

May 5, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #14,540 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks man!

Unfortunately I haven't tried either. I've been wanting to try the D2000s but whenever I haven't had a chance to pick them up as they are just out of my price range at the moment. I used to have the DT770s and I have a pair of DT880s on the way, but have not tried out the DT990s. The 770s and 990s are supposed to have the same driver, but the 990s are open. As far as the HFI 780, they are pretty pricey at the moment, $250 on Amazon, but were $150 a month ago. I'm very pleased with my DJ1 Pros which are supposed the same as the Pro 550. Honestly, they are all great headphones and you will likely be very pleased with any of them. Either than or you will be like be and continually need to try a new pair to see how they all sound 
bigsmile_face.gif

May 5, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #14,541 of 29,490
Quote:
Unfortunately I haven't tried either. I've been wanting to try the D2000s but whenever I haven't had a chance to pick them up as they are just out of my price range at the moment. I used to have the DT770s and I have a pair of DT880s on the way, but have not tried out the DT990s. The 770s and 990s are supposed to have the same driver, but the 990s are open. As far as the HFI 780, they are pretty pricey at the moment, $250 on Amazon, but were $150 a month ago. I'm very pleased with my DJ1 Pros which are supposed the same as the Pro 550. Honestly, they are all great headphones and you will likely be very pleased with any of them. Either than or you will be like be and continually need to try a new pair to see how they all sound 
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks a lot hipster2010!

May 5, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #14,542 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks man!

Hfi780 and Denon D2000 are both around 300$, for headphones only, and using any of those without an amplifier and DAC is like throwing money into fire. Trust me, any headphones will sound like crap when used straight out of an iphone or something like that, especially the better headphones.

Your best bet is to get M50 and E7+E9 or DT990pro + E7 + E9,  or either or those headphones + Audioengine D2.  Don't get headphones in that league and use them without an amplifier and DAC.  If I were you, I'd just get the ones that look nicer to you. If you don't have much experience with good headphones, any of them paired with a entry level DAC/amp will impress you. At the same time, any of them without a DAC/amp (and of course, good quality uncompressed music files, no mp3's plz :p) will disappoint you.

May 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #14,543 of 29,490
Quote:
budget 120 euros. 
headphones full size. 
here are the ones I found: 

Shure SRH440
Sennheiser HDR160
SennHeiser PX360
Pioneer HDJ500
Sennheiser HD 215-II
Sennheiser HD 518
Sony MDR-ZX700
Ultrasone HIFI 450
Philips CitiScape
Panasonic RP-WF950E-S

which ones are the best? 

Senn HD 518 is an entry level mid-fi can.  I don't think anything else you listed is in that class.

May 6, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #14,545 of 29,490
Hey all,  cutting to the chase:
 need super comfortable preferably shallow iems with fabric asymmetrical cable ("j-cord") below $80,bass punch and extension.Iphone controls welcome.
Should have some detail so i don't reach for my triple fi's too often

Now I realize that i can't satisfy all my needs in one iem bt maybe you could suggest something i have not already thought of.My candidates till now are:
1.Sony mdr ex 310 
2.A custom made cloth cable for triple fi's made asymmetrical  $90 (still triple fi's= uncomfortable for me) 
3.senns cx 300 with ip controls (no detail...)
4.x-ears td iii

p.s. I own and like the hippo vb's sond signature a lot -i'd like something like that only with a  j cord and not as long.

edit:sorry for posting here ,i'll move it!

May 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #14,547 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey man, thanks a lot!

Right now I'm looking at these two headphones!

closed: Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A
open: Audio Technica ATH-AD900

leaking isnt a problem. these meet the needs of my system (no amp), and fall within my budget (200-300$).

anything you guys can tell me about em? also, i listen mostly to rock, but i love my dubstep/that type of music as well.

May 6, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #14,548 of 29,490
Gonna ask again, are the AKG k550's good without an amp and on an ipad? (i don't really care much for size, just as long as i can carry them and they sound good, while also having enough NC to block out a decent amount of noise)

May 6, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #14,550 of 29,490
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but i've been looking at the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S since i've heard they're good budget cans, but at the same time i've heard they have an awful muddy, tinny sound too. Can someone tell me if it's worth getting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back