++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 4, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #14,521 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If open cans will work for you, I'm not I understand why you would go for the K 550 over the Q 701.  In addition the Q costs less--at least in the U.S. and has two detachable cords compared to one fixed for the 550.

Yeah, I'd love to get open cans as they probably sound better and are like 'the real deal' in delivering soundstage, etc where the k550 seems to be competing.. The thing is, I will, most of the time, use the headphone in public ares - subway, campus cafeteria, library.. So an open air can, unfortunately, is a no no. That's why it's the k550 that seems the best for me. Though with a lot of bad reviews, and only a few that are good.. I'm quite skeptical. Skeptical about it being too bright, thin, shrilling, sibilant, weak bass, etc etc.. With a FiiO E17, can't those problems be fixed? if present?

I'm starting to think of getting another can instead but can't decide on what else seems to be good as the k550 in every aspect in its price range.. isolation, sound stage with privacy.. hmhmhm.. Ohh and by the way, I'll be using them for general use: music, games, movies on laptop..

p.s. the Q701 costs roughly $600 here.. twice as the k550.  :frowning2:

May 4, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #14,522 of 29,490
Quote:

Closed cans means sealed ear cups.  Those ear cups are open to some degree with open & semi-open cans.  Generally speaking open designs give you better sound stage and closed offers greater bass.  You want closed cans if leaking sound will affect others.  Being open or closed will not tell you whether or not a can must be amped.  The individual efficiency of the design, partially measured in Ohms (the lower the easier to drive--all else being equal & often its not), determines whether, how much and what type of amping might be needed and/or helpful.

You might want to start by checking the links to the buying guides that can be found in the first post of this thread.  Going unamped from your computer will limit your options.  When at the guides look for a "1" rating if you are not going to amp.

After you've poked around the buying guides and the rest of the site, post again with a little more specificity with regard to what you think would sound good to you; fall within your budget and meet the needs of your system.

Hey man, thanks a lot!

Right now I'm looking at these two headphones!

closed: Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A
open: Audio Technica ATH-AD900

leaking isnt a problem. these meet the needs of my system (no amp), and fall within my budget (200-300$).

anything you guys can tell me about em? also, i listen mostly to rock, but i love my dubstep/that type of music as well.

May 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #14,523 of 29,490
Hey guys, I've been searching for some full-size headphones for the last week because my cheap skull candy G.I.s broke (they were really cheap). So my budget is around 100$ to 150$. I mainly listen to harcore/gabber and some hardstyle from time to time. These will be for everyday use (at home, outside, in the bus etc.) I've been considering the Sennheiser HD 448 and the Shure 750DJ becasue they are easy to drive through any kind of mp3 player (Phone, ipod etc.) My main concern with the 750DJ is that it is made out of plastic and apparently is creaks a lot and my other concern with the Senn is that apparently it's not super great for hardcore EDM music. I was wondering what you guys think had the best bang for the buck and which suits me better. Let me know if you guys think another pair of headphones would be better. Thanks!

May 4, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #14,524 of 29,490
Quote:

For movies and gaming, you'll want something open.  That points to the 668B, which I recommend at this price from personal experience, or the Sampson SR 850, which I recommend at this price on the basis of reviews and reputation.

Is there any difference on sound with either headphone or do they both sound the same? If they both sound the same i think i'll get the Samson.

May 4, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #14,525 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I very recently started producing music and I'm trying to find a decent pair of headphones. I'll mostly be working on electronic music and potentially some rap. I'm really new to this whole thing so right now I don't have any setup, I'll just be playing my music from my laptop. I don't want to spend more than $150.

I've been doing some research over the past couple of days and I've narrowed it down to either the AKG K240S or the ATH M-50S. From what I've read it sounds like the ATH M-50S is the better headphone, but its closed ear, whereas the K240S is semi open ear. I've heard a lot of people say that for producing music open-ear headphones are a lot better. If the M-50S were open-ear I'd buy it right away but I'm really torn right now.

Which headphone do you guys think I'd be best off with?

May 5, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #14,526 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

I very recently started producing music and I'm trying to find a decent pair of headphones. I'll mostly be working on electronic music and potentially some rap. I'm really new to this whole thing so right now I don't have any setup, I'll just be playing my music from my laptop. I don't want to spend more than $150.

I've been doing some research over the past couple of days and I've narrowed it down to either the AKG K240S or the ATH M-50S. From what I've read it sounds like the ATH M-50S is the better headphone, but its closed ear, whereas the K240S is semi open ear. I've heard a lot of people say that for producing music open-ear headphones are a lot better. If the M-50S were open-ear I'd buy it right away but I'm really torn right now.

Which headphone do you guys think I'd be best off with?

The AKG is much more neutral.

May 5, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #14,528 of 29,490
I am looking to buy a decent set of headphones, around $100-$150, need to be durable as I will be needing to use them for the bus to school and such. I listen to a broad range of music, anything from country to techno. Also I am from Canada so preferably something that can be purchased here.

May 5, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #14,530 of 29,490
Quote:

Both are being discontinued.  I would give first priority to getting the can you want.  I have never used either unamped, so I can't speak to that issue.  Personally I'd get the the D5000 under these circumstances.  They are more balanced and controlled with stronger mids.  They also have a superior sound stage when amped properly.  

Both are excellent and on Tyll's Wall of Fame for good reasons.

Discontinued? Are they following it up with newer models?

So there's not going to be alot in stock and i need to be fast?

May 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #14,531 of 29,490
Quote:

So there's not going to be alot in stock and i need to be fast?

The assumption is that the price will go up when the new ones come out because they look really ugly. Unless they sound amazing, it's hard see the price of the current Denons going anywhere but up, plus you probably won't be able to find them new once stock runs out.

May 5, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #14,533 of 29,490
Quote:

Yes--BUT Denon does not make their own headphones.  The current line (at least as relevant to this discussion) is made by Fostex.  It is unknown at this time (at least to me) who will making the new line.  We do know from pictures that were released 5 weeks ago that they will look very different--and not good different for almost all who have responded about them on this site.  If you love (badly done) futuristic looking plastic, you'll love the look of the new line (of 2 cans) replacing the D2000, 5000 & 7000.

So there's not going to be alot in stock  Based on what I have seen, the stocks of D2000 & 5000 is still OK, but well priced D7000 are not seen.  We don't know how much and what type of stock will be coming before the new cans come on line.

and i need to be fast?

Yes--especially with regard to the D2000 & 5000.

May 5, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #14,534 of 29,490
I finally decided to get myself a "good" pair of cans, but i cant make up my mind!! Ive done some research and heard alot of good things  about the M50's but i think they might lack some bass, also ive tried dre's beats, they amazed me at first but after a while the bass sounded artificial...
I'm looking for some headphones that will provide very clear sound and strong clear bass is a must!
i listen to a lot of dubstep (mt eden, skrillex etc), electro (swedish house mafia, tiesto etc), hiphop and rock (the strokes, arctic monkeys, linkin park etc)
So i want them to be good for all genres!
Also my budget is $300 and i will use them with my iphone and computer so preferably some very good cans without an amp..  
Like i said this would be my first "real" pair headphones considering im using the apple headphones atm haha and i dont want to end up buying something im not 100% satisfied with... 
PLease help

May 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #14,535 of 29,490
Quote:
I finally decided to get myself a "good" pair of cans, but i cant make up my mind!! Ive done some research and heard alot of good things  about the M50's but i think they might lack some bass, also ive tried dre's beats, they amazed me at first but after a while the bass sounded artificial...
I'm looking for some headphones that will provide very clear sound and strong clear bass is a must!
i listen to a lot of dubstep (mt eden, skrillex etc), electro (swedish house mafia, tiesto etc), hiphop and rock (the strokes, arctic monkeys, linkin park etc)
So i want them to be good for all genres!
Also my budget is $300 and i will use them with my iphone and computer so preferably some very good cans without an amp..  
Like i said this would be my first "real" pair headphones considering im using the apple headphones atm haha and i dont want to end up buying something im not 100% satisfied with... 
PLease help

For 300$ you can get good headphones and good DAC/amp combo.   150$ headphones + 150$ dac/amp will sound better than 300$ headphones out of an iphone or computer.

You could just stick to the safe side and get the M50 + Audioengine D2  or Fiio E7+E9.
Or Beyerdynamic DT770pro / DT990pro.  Those would also work very well for your genres.  And all of them will impress you more than Beats. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back