++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #14,116 of 29,490
Should I get the Beyer DT990 Premium 250Ohms or the DT990 Pro 250Ohms? Im leaning towards the Pro because its much cheaper but whats your guys thoughts?

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #14,118 of 29,490
Hey guys!

So, I've had the ATH-M50 for about a year now and I think it's time for an upgrade. My price range is $150-$250, looking for closed set of cans with really good isolation (atleast better isolation than the ATH-M50), unampted. I listen to  Rock, Hard Rock, Pop, Metal, Classical, Folk, and R&B. I usually listen to music in my dorm or in the library, so something that wouldn't leak as much.

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #14,119 of 29,490
Jjacq,

I've been a long time listener - first time caller - but I wanted to login and reply to your comment because I have both a Grado SR80is and the AudioEngine  A5's and I love both of them.

The Grados leak tons of sound so they won't be any good for your needs (i.e; able to listen in a library or for traveling.) I would pick up a pair of SR80' for home use, though, just for fun.

I own the SR80s, Beyer DT880's, Vmoda Crossfade LP (which I hate), Sennheiser HD 202's and a new pair of Koss ProDJ 100's (which are really growing on me.)

The ProDJ 100's might be what you are looking for. They are closed-back and do not leak sound (I am typing this in bed while my wife is sleeping), they sound "fun" and are pretty cheap ($64 on Amazon.)

I bought the the ProDJ100s with a Fiio E6 amp for $100 total am and digging my closed-back sound. With your $200 budget, use your extra $100 to pick up a pair of (very open) Grado SR80's (for home use) and you'll be pretty happy.

Are they as "fun" as Grado's? No. Are they as "detailed" as the DT880's? No. But I am listening to Pink Floyd's Animals in Apple Lossless off of my MacBook with the E6 plugged in and I am enjoying them immensely. I feel like I hooked up a good bargain for $100 total.

(Granted, when I get my Schiit Asgard amp for my upcoming b-day this summer, and plug my 250 ohm Beyers into it, I'll probably complain about how all of my other headphones sound like doggy-do! Haha!)

Anywho, hope you find a good pair of headphones...

Quote:
Hello, I'm pretty new to this audio stuff and I currently own a Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, a NuForce uDAC-2 and Audioengine A5's. I've seen a lot of talk about Grado's and I'm thinking of getting a pair of my own. The HD 25's are good but the soundstage is a bit tight and I am thinking of just getting full-sized headphones to satisfy that itch. I would like to ask if someone can recommend me good with a slightly wider soundstage or something similar. I listen to house, rock, k-pop, pop, jazz so I'm really looking for all around headphones that hopefully won't leak in high volumes. Sometimes I am in the library or traveling.

I have my eye on the Grado SR225i but I'm not sure if they leak or not.

Please let me know, my budget is around <$200.

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #14,120 of 29,490
^I'll look into the ProDJ's and I'm actually saving up for a FIIO E17. I hope I can buy it soon.

But yes, since people said that it leaks I was just planning to get a cheaper pair because they just look so pretty. But also, someone is selling the SR60i used for a good price($55) and I'm wondering how it matches with the SR80i? Should I buy the SR80's or is the SR60 already a great buy in itself?

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #14,121 of 29,490
Bump bump bumpz!!

Quote:
Should I get the Beyer DT990 Premium 250Ohms or the DT990 Pro 250Ohms? Im leaning towards the Pro because its much cheaper but whats your guys thoughts?

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #14,123 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, the K240's are £89, and the K240 MkII are only £99 on amazon.

Ok.  The difference at Amazon in the US is $46.  I prefer the velour pads anyway and they are an expensive add-on over here.

Check Thomann in Germany, have some good prices on AKG.
Last month ordered some K242HD from them, shipped to California.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #14,124 of 29,490

Quote:

I do like the sound of my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, needs a decent headphone amplifier to sound their best.

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #14,125 of 29,490
Hey guys I've had Audio Technica A900s for about 3 years now but after 6500 hours of use the right ear is starting to go out and I have to shake it to get it back.. anyways I'm looking for a replacement. Use for games, movies, music. Top priority is a large distinct soundstage, other then that I prefer a neutral all around good headphone that is comfy as it will be worn 6+ hours a day. Also they need to be closed or half closed. I have a asus xonar STX sound card which can power up too 600ohms, and so far my pick is the Beyerdynamic 880 600ohm version. Max $250. Do you recommend something else?

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #14,127 of 29,490
Need recommendations!

Quick
Have: Sennheiser PX100
Budget: $200
Genres: Electronic/house/trance/(some) hip-hop/movie scores (Daft Punk!)
Question: What I have now (open design) vs closed design?

Long
Been thinking about buying some new headphones. Tax return is in, so looking to splurge a little. I currently have the Sennheiser PX100s and really like them, but I want something better. With a budget of $200, what do you guys recommend? I was reading through the 100-headphone shootout thread, and I've been eyeballing a few like the Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs and Klipsch Image ONE headphones. In reading reviews for the Sennheisers, I noticed a number of people commenting on the small soundstage. Not entirely sure what that means, but how does that differ from what I have now, the PX100s being open design. I tend to listen to a lot of synth-electronica/reg electronic/house/trance/movie scores, Daft Punk being my absolute favorite of the bunch. As I own the PX100s, what is the next/best step for my money?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #14,128 of 29,490

Quote:
Need recommendations!

Quick
Have: Sennheiser PX100
Budget: $200
Genres: Electronic/house/trance/(some) hip-hop/movie scores (Daft Punk!)
Question: What I have now (open design) vs closed design?

Long
Been thinking about buying some new headphones. Tax return is in, so looking to splurge a little. I currently have the Sennheiser PX100s and really like them, but I want something better. With a budget of $200, what do you guys recommend? I was reading through the 100-headphone shootout thread, and I've been eyeballing a few like the Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs and Klipsch Image ONE headphones. In reading reviews for the Sennheisers, I noticed a number of people commenting on the small soundstage. Not entirely sure what that means, but how does that differ from what I have now, the PX100s being open design. I tend to listen to a lot of synth-electronica/reg electronic/house/trance/movie scores, Daft Punk being my absolute favorite of the bunch. As I own the PX100s, what is the next/best step for my money?

Thanks in advance!

When soundstage is mentioned, it's in the sense of how large sound feels, whether in height, width, length or all the previous. Open headphones have bigger soundstages by design, but unless you're specificaly looking for that, you should focus mainly on getting headphones that sound best with both your music genres and listening habits (music, games and/or movies).

With your specified budget, I think you should consider the Ultrasone HFI-580, Ultrasone HFI-780 and Beyerdynamic DT990. The first two are closed but employ a proprietary technology called S-Logic that increases the soundstage size above what closed headphones usually have. The last one is open, and while it handles movies nicely, I find Ultrasones to really shine in electronica and bass emphasized genres when you want both a strong bass presence and plenty of overall clarity.

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #14,129 of 29,490

Quote:
You need to post your request on this section of the forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/103/portable-headphones-earphones-and-in-ear-monitors

I'm actually looking for a smallish circumaural set, something like the QC15 only without the noise canceling.  I'm going with the ~$100 range because I dunno how much use I'll really get out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back