++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 17, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #14,102 of 29,490
Hi All, I am new here and will be after some headphones in the next few weeks.

They will be used solely at home, late night listening with the following-

Philips CD-850
Luxman PD-272/Sure M97Xe/Rotel RQ-970BX
Arcam AVR200 / Sony TA-F670ES

And I will use the Headphone amp in either the Sony or Arcam for the moment,

-I dont mind Open Backed.

-Budget <£100 (Ideally around £60)

-Music tastes are everything from Indie, Rock, Electronic, 70's/80's etc.

-I am after some On Ear/Around Ear Headphones (Over Ear etc)

-If it helps, I like speakers like the ATC SCM7

The only headphones/earphones I have had before were some cheap Sennheiser CX-300 which I thought were mediocre at best.
I quite liked the Denon In-Ear models, sound wise, but found them uncomfortable, like the AH-C551 and the model above ?? (I did not get a chance to hear their headphones), where as I found the Grado SR60, and SR80 to be a bit too bright.

From initial research, I have been looking at the following models- (mainly down to aesthetics)
AKG K240 MkII
AKG K99
Audio Technica ATH-AD500

Cheers, Rob

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #14,104 of 29,490
D2000 when on sale (which is pretty much always; check out Electronics Expo and the deals thread in this forum). Especially if your office environment is safe enough you can leave it at work. Its not really a portable headphone.

Quote:

I work in a fairly quiet office and sit close to several coworkers. I need a headphone that meets the following requirements:

- low sound leakage
- doesn't require amp
- sounds fine with laptop or phone as source
- comfortable for extended periods
- mostly listen to electronica, rock, and sometimes rap
- under $200

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #14,105 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi All, I am new here and will be after some headphones in the next few weeks.

They will be used solely at home, late night listening with the following-

Philips CD-850
Luxman PD-272/Sure M97Xe/Rotel RQ-970BX
Arcam AVR200 / Sony TA-F670ES

And I will use the Headphone amp in either the Sony or Arcam for the moment,

-I dont mind Open Backed.

-Budget <£100 (Ideally around £60)

-Music tastes are everything from Indie, Rock, Electronic, 70's/80's etc.

-I am after some On Ear/Around Ear Headphones (Over Ear etc)

-If it helps, I like speakers like the ATC SCM7

The only headphones/earphones I have had before were some cheap Sennheiser CX-300 which I thought were mediocre at best.
I quite liked the Denon In-Ear models, sound wise, but found them uncomfortable, like the AH-C551 and the model above ?? (I did not get a chance to hear their headphones), where as I found the Grado SR60, and SR80 to be a bit too bright.

From initial research, I have been looking at the following models- (mainly down to aesthetics)
AKG K240 MkII
AKG K99
Audio Technica ATH-AD500

Cheers, Rob

The AKG K240 MkII would be a good, all purpose headphone for you.  If you don't need the velour pads, or the extra cord, the K240 Studio is the same headphone (just no extras included).  The Studio model is considerably less expensive.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #14,106 of 29,490
What kind of music do you listen to? Are they going to be portable, or for home use? Or both?

Quote:
At this moment, I am amp and headphone-less. I pretty much sold my T1, D7000, AD2000, and my Nuforce Icon HDP to fund for Burson 160-DS, HD800, and LCD-2 Rev 2 With Q Audio Cables.

I think I will get the black dragon v2 cable for the HD800, but I am now currently without a good closed headphone. Recommend me some closed headphones which are around the 500-1000 dollar price range.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #14,108 of 29,490

Hello Forum

I'm in a Journey :)

Got my first Grados a couple of weeks ago, the SR 225i's and really like the Boldness in their sound print. Now that I got addicted I want more! So I'm looking into the RS1i / RS2i that to my understanding are more refined and have better Bass maintaining the sound signature of the 225i.

I had a lent the PS500 and been comparing them, here's what I can say about them (PS500): has a greater sound stage, more bass extending to midrange, Mids are recessed for my liking and trebles not as bright as the 225i's. Overall like more the 225i's because of there forwardness and forgiveness with bad recordings or lower quality (don't have that much of grain). The PS500 has a tube like sound that some may like I dont.

So... Im willing to trade de 225i's for the RS1i or RS2i and wondering Which?

PD: I use iPod Classic 5G + Fiio e11 amp listen to electronic, rock, pop, folk, indie and virtually any other gender (not so much country or hip hop)

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #14,110 of 29,490
Hello, I'm pretty new to this audio stuff and I currently own a Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, a NuForce uDAC-2 and Audioengine A5's. I've seen a lot of talk about Grado's and I'm thinking of getting a pair of my own. The HD 25's are good but the soundstage is a bit tight and I am thinking of just getting full-sized headphones to satisfy that itch. I would like to ask if someone can recommend me good with a slightly wider soundstage or something similar. I listen to house, rock, k-pop, pop, jazz so I'm really looking for all around headphones that hopefully won't leak in high volumes. Sometimes I am in the library or traveling.

I have my eye on the Grado SR225i but I'm not sure if they leak or not.

Please let me know, my budget is around <$200.

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #14,111 of 29,490

Quote:
The ATh-M50 because it has cleaner bass and is more portable.

I have to disagree.  The M50 has more bass, but it's enhanced well beyond neutral (which some like; I don't).  To my ear it is not cleaner than the Shure.

The Shure is just as portable as the M50.  Both fold up the same way and the Shure comes with a detachable cord.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #14,112 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for some smallish closed back portables that fold and are in about the $100 range, and it'd also be nice if there's a hard case for it.

You need to post your request on this section of the forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/103/portable-headphones-earphones-and-in-ear-monitors

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #14,113 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello, I'm pretty new to this audio stuff and I currently own a Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, a NuForce uDAC-2 and Audioengine A5's. I've seen a lot of talk about Grado's and I'm thinking of getting a pair of my own. The HD 25's are good but the soundstage is a bit tight and I am thinking of just getting full-sized headphones to satisfy that itch. I would like to ask if someone can recommend me good with a slightly wider soundstage or something similar. I listen to house, rock, k-pop, pop, jazz so I'm really looking for all around headphones that hopefully won't leak in high volumes. Sometimes I am in the library or traveling.

I have my eye on the Grado SR225i but I'm not sure if they leak or not.

Please let me know, my budget is around <$200.

Thanks!

Grados SR line have two characteristics that don't meet with your needs.  They leak a great deal and they have a very small sound stage.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #14,114 of 29,490
Hey guys.
Quick question. My favorite genres of music are Rock, Heavy Metal, and Rap. After asking around, the two most suggested Headphones I get are the Ultrasone HFI-580 and the Q40s. Which pair would be better for kinds of genres? Or is there something else I should look into for the price range?
Thanks for any answers.

Out of those two, get the 580s. What is your budget?

Probably around $170.00, maybe $200.00 at max.

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #14,115 of 29,490
I'm looking for a closed headphone around the price range of 500-1000, to replace my darling D7000 which was sold to fund for the Burson 160 DS.

I can rebuy the same thing, but that would be boring. I want to experience another great looking and sounding closed headphone for home use.

I already have my Fiio 11 w/ M-50 that I use at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back