++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #11,851 of 29,490
thank you for the answer! Am trying to find good deals on the ath-m50 online atm :)

another question: I have seen that the koss porta pro is only 17£ on amazon at the moment. since my brother owned these I have actually tried them out and I thought that the sound quality was really really good. I just have never tried any high end headphones so I don't have anything that I can compare it to. 

I plan to mostly use the ath-m50 with my ipod and a portable amp. Will the difference to the koss porta pro be big or is it not worth it to spend ten times the amount of money for the improvement in quality? (since I think that I won't reach the full potential of the ath-m50 with ipod and portable amp?)

thanks for any advices!

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #11,852 of 29,490

Quote:

Help!

I want a Headphone and it has to be priced: 50-300 € and I mostly listen to Hip-Hop, electronic kind of music (J Dilla, Long Arm) or something like dubstep or instrumental hiphop. Who knows a great headphone for me?

Some other things:
- I don't want Beats by Dr. Dre
- I don't want super ugly headphones,
- I like AKG!  
- It would be great if they work good on a iPod touch and a computer (both)
- I have an amplifier
- I Don't live in USA
- I wan't to use them mostly at home

Hope someone can help me out!

Please Help!

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #11,853 of 29,490

Quote:
I love bass but not too heavy bass, i mainly listen to dubstep, techno, hiphop....BUT Smooth jazz once in a while. i need a headphones mainly made for bass but has good mids and highs as well

BUDGET: Around $150 - $200

I'd recommend the Fischer FA-011s.  GD-Audiobase has the best price, but their shipping and customer service is a nightmare.  Frogbeats costs more, but their customer service is excellent and they use DHL, which will get them to you in ~2-3 days.

They are open though, so not the best choice if you want to take them in public.  For that, maybe the V-Moda M80 or Sennheiser HD25-1 II.

Quote:
I am look for some headphones that would sound great with metal and rap mostly metal though, the headphones right now that I am considering right now are the Denon AH-2000 or The Beats Pro by Dr. Dre. any other suggetions would be helpful also, the price range im in is in $300-400.

Neither one will be fantastic for metal.  The Beats have massive bass, but that's about it.  The Denons are better, but have recessed mids, which doesn't work overly well with guitars.  Grados are some of the best headphones you can get for rock and metal - they have amazing guitar reproduction.  Just try before you buy since they're not for everyone - the highs can be harsh, and some people find them uncomfortable.  They're also an open design, so not the best for public use.  Also look into the Sennheiser HD25-1 II and the Shure SRH-840.

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #11,854 of 29,490
I'm currently looking for a pair of Open-back cans under 150€ to use at home.

I've recently bought a zero amp/dac so amp is not a problem

Main genres: Mostly Metal (Opeth, Metallica, Death), Jazz (Miles Davis, Chet Baker) and a bit of Rap and Electronic
Signature: I like natural, detailed sound and clear voices
Sources: Clip+ , Desktop (using DAC )

I'm currently oriented to buy HD598 because of the comfort and because it's probably good with everything I listen too except maybe Metallica and Death, but I'd prefer try to consider some cheaper cans too if possible.
Getting a Grado sr80i costs like 150€ here, and I can get the HD598 for the same price, that's why I'm not really considering the grado even if they would probably satisfy me.
Any other option I can consider possibly cheaper than 150€, ofc for that price I would buy the senn.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #11,855 of 29,490
In terms of sound, Sennheiser IE 8 vs Ultrasone PRO 750?
I listen to classic rock, older pop and downtempo electronica.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #11,856 of 29,490
Hey gang. I'm an Etymotic ER4P owner who is looking for a really good pair of full sized cans that don't require an amp and could be driven off an iPhone. I kind of like the neutral, revealing sound of the etys, but would love a large soundstage. 

Is there anything like this in existence? 

My budget is under $500. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #11,857 of 29,490
I am looking for a headphone that makes a piano sound like a piano, with appropriate weight.

Any style, closed or open, any price up to ~ $600, any sensitivity (I'm fine to get an amp), what headphone would most make a piano sound like you are standing beside a real piano?

For example, I just listened to John Lennon's 'Imagine' and 'Let It Be'. In my living room, on my Dunlavy speakers, the piano sounds like a real piano. Weighty but not boomy. You can feel it viscerally. In my studio, even with 'high end' monitors, the piano sounds a little bit lifeless. On my son's headphones it sounds boomy, recessed, and has no presence. On my headphones, it sounds jangly, but not like a real piano.

So what should I go try out if I want to mimic the visceral impact of my Dunlavy's with a pair of headphones?

Thank you.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #11,858 of 29,490
The Shure SRH-940 would do this, but it would really need an amp. Rule is that, all full size headphones need some kind of external amplification to ensure maximum performance. 
The 940 costs about $300, and there is one in the FS forum for $210. A good sub-$100 portable amp is the FiiO E11. Costs $60. Add $15 for Fiio's L9 LOD.

Quote:
Hey gang. I'm an Etymotic ER4P owner who is looking for a really good pair of full sized cans that don't require an amp and could be driven off an iPhone. I kind of like the neutral, revealing sound of the etys, but would love a large soundstage. 

Is there anything like this in existence? 

My budget is under $500. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #11,859 of 29,490

Quote:
The HD25s and TMA-1s are lighter and more durable than the Pro's.

I am not a real audiopile so I like bass :wink:. The HD25 are great IF they had just a tad more rumble, but they hurt my ears. The TMA-1 are awesome with EDM but are to dark for anything else I think. The K518 DJ actually sound close to the Beats Pro to my ears. Anybody else thinks that?

Quote:
You could give the Skullcandy Mix Masters a shot..  I've never tried them, but if you like the design of the Beats (Detachable Cable, Foldable, Dual Input, etc.), then they are similar in design while sounding surprisingly well. The only downside is that they're made of mostly plastic, so they're prone to fingerprints and don't LOOK as durable.  Plus, they're Skullcandy, so you're not going to get the kind of responses as if you were wearing Beats or Audio-Technica..

I have heard that Tyll likes them more than any other "celebritie-cans". I can't try the the Mix Masters in Sweden or buy them here so they are out :frowning2:

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #11,860 of 29,490
Uhm, this might be a weird question to answer.
In a week, it's valentine's day and I have somewhat a vague idea on what to give to my girlfriend on that day. Maybe a big box of lovely chocolate, or flowers maybe... But I'm going to break the mold.

Is a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 a perfect gift for a girl on valentine's day?

I have this idea because I see her listening to music with only the iBuds and i thought it was kind of tragic. I've let her hear my DT-880 Pro amped by a FiiO E11 at school and she was blown away (with a big grin on her face).
Or is this kind of gift a very bad idea? BTW, she doesn't like things that are too expensive such as clothes, jewelry and such and she probably has a little bit of fashion sense but not very present so no Louis Vuitton bag or any of that sort of stuff. I don't know if she likes good looking headphones or not.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #11,861 of 29,490
Not perfect, but whatever makes her happy, then why not?

Ask her if she'd like something stylish. If she said yes, give her a stylish pair like the V-Moda M80. 
Also, it would depend on her music tastes.

Quote:
Uhm, this might be a weird question to answer.
In a week, it's valentine's day and I have somewhat a vague idea on what to give to my girlfriend on that day. Maybe a big box of lovely chocolate, or flowers maybe... But I'm going to break the mold.

Is a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 a perfect gift for a girl on valentine's day?

I have this idea because I see her listening to music with only the iBuds and i thought it was kind of tragic. I've let her hear my DT-880 Pro amped by a FiiO E11 and she was blown away (with a big grin on her face).
Or is this kind of gift a very bad idea? BTW, she doesn't like things that are too expensive such as clothes, jewelry and such and she probably has a little bit of fashion sense but not very present so no Louis Vuitton bag or any of that sort of stuff. I don't know if she likes good looking headphones or not.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #11,862 of 29,490

Quote:
Not perfect, but whatever makes her happy, then why not?

Ask her if she'd like something stylish. If she said yes, give her a stylish pair like the V-Moda M80. 
Also, it would depend on her music tastes.

Sadly, the V-Moda M80 are not available in my country and I only have access to brands such as AKG, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, Denon, Sennheiser, Shure.
Although the Denon AH-D1001 will look nice on her. Not sure about SQ though.
The AKG K272 HD will also look very nice on her.
Music taste, well it kinda is varied (not hoping much that they're high bitrate music) but probably a "fun" headphone without the need of an amp will suit her best.
BTW, budget. Very limited. €160 tops. I'm not even sure if I could get that high though, I'll try my best.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #11,863 of 29,490

Quote:
The Shure SRH-940 would do this, but it would really need an amp. Rule is that, all full size headphones need some kind of external amplification to ensure maximum performance. 
The 940 costs about $300, and there is one in the FS forum for $210. A good sub-$100 portable amp is the FiiO E11. Costs $60. Add $15 for Fiio's L9 LOD.

Thanks.

Do you or anyone else have an opinion on the Beyerdynamic DT 1350 or the B&W P5 for my needs?

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #11,864 of 29,490
I haven't heard the DT1350, but the P5 is like the opposite of the ER-4S. You should listen to them first.

Quote:
Thanks.

Do you or anyone else have an opinion on the Beyerdynamic DT 1350 or the B&W P5 for my needs?

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #11,865 of 29,490
Hi guys
I have the Beats Tour and i dont like them very much, i want to buy new heaphones...full size headphone
My budget is 250$ and i want to buy them online, i use them for music and a lil bit for games
What is the best headphones i can get for this budget?
Thank you very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back