++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #7,021 of 29,490
Want headphones with outstanding mids for their price in the $200-$300 price range.

Was looking at Denon D2000's, any other ideas?

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #7,022 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,
I'm thinking about buying the HD650, the Fischer FA 003w or the Hifiman HE-4
Which one would be the best buy ?
Thanks !

Beware the taste of sweet ortho magic... you'll never back...

Quote:
Hey guys, entry-level audiophile here. I'm ready to shell out for my first pair of mid-fi cans, but I'm having trouble settling. My listening habits are reasonably varied (http://www.last.fm/user/nindijin), and I'd like them to be fairly versatile (taking them to university and such). Above all, the sound quality is most important though. Here's what I'm tossing up between:
  1. ATH AD700s
  2. Alessandro MS1s
  3. ATH M50s
Help a newbie out?

Out of those, the M50 would be most suitable since they are reasonably rugged, can fold up for transport, and isolate well. They're also decent cans for all-round sound and performance. The MS1 provide no isolation whatsoever which means you won't hear your music plus you'll disturb those around you. The AD700 are nice but are quite large and not exactly something you'd feel comfortable hauling around in a bag. 

Quote:

Well, I finally gave in, I need Head-fi's and all of it's wonderful members to help. Now, I have read the newbie threat thing and I have poked around here, searching in an endless quest through the harsh lands of the internet for some headphones that will be suitable to my needs. (Insert heroic down trodden pose here)

Sometime in England

My current situation:

Yesterday: MY HEADPHONES ARE BROKEN! (Sony MDR 570LPB.AE or some sort of complicated name . . .)

Today: Tired after art project.

These headphones need to be durable, for walking to college three days a week and will be used a heck of a lot. Comfy, for walking to college three days a week and will be used a . . . I have a strange sense of deja vu, whatever, carrying on, they need a certain amount of portability. I don't mind if the are bulky, just not to bulky.  I would like them to have good sound quality over everything else except the comfort and budget. Budget is important. It can possibly go to £70 or maybe around £100 if I save up with christmas coming. Shh, don't say that word, parents will begin to panic!

And finally, the music. I listen to what most YOUTH listen to; Dubstep, hip hop, rap, alternative, rock, metal, basically, I listen to nearly all of it.

Anyways, hope you can help.

(If you're wondering, I got an A in English Literature to study Art funnily enough.)
wink_face.gif

I kinda just copied this straight from the thread I maybe shouldn't have started. Maybe an Admin or someone could close it or something? Oh well, live and learn.

Any of the Shure headphones or Audio Technica M50 would do, or perhaps a Pioneer HDJ-500. Less bassy, the Sony V6 is also a great little beater. 

Quote:
Alright, As you can see, i'm new to this board. Hope you guys can help me.

So i'm looking for closed, circumaural cans that are portable, and can take a pounding. And in the price range of below $150. That narrows down the list, doesn't it? :p I usually listen to Classical and jazzish stuff.

From what i've read, this are the cans that are most highly recommended.

Audio Technica M50S
Sennheiser HD 25 II (Supraaural)
Numark PHX Pro

I'm currently leaning towards the Numark PHX, as it's pretty cheap on amazon, and according to joker, isn't all that bad. Would you guys have any definite recommendations? 

On that note, i'm definitely buying from amazon.

The HD25-1-ii is one of the most rugged headphones you can buy. The M50 is good, though not my first choice for classical (nor the HD25 for that matter). The DJ style headphones tend to lose their mids which is critical for classical and jazz. Maybe consider a Sony V6 or Shure 440?

Quote:
Hello all, I'm new to the forums and liking what I see so far, I hope to stick around for a while.

Basically, I'm looking for two recommendations, one at the sub-50 dollar price range and one at the sub 100 dollar price range. I'll then compare them in store to determine if the extra upgrade is worth it on my hugely limited financial resources. I listen to lots of genres (rap, dubstep, acoustic rock, concert and classical, pop, trip hop, yada yada) so I would prefer an even sound over one-sided phones. I want an over-the-ear design but I will mostly be listening on the go, so build quality and fit are pretty important. I'm not too worried about looking goofy though. I'm also open to modding as long as there is a guide already available, as I have little to no technical knowledge at this point :p

Thanks for the help, I'll try to pay it back in kind once I've got the knowledge base to do so.

Shure 240/440/550
Sony V6/7506/ZX700

Quote:
I'm on the verge of a huge headphone purchase for my Little Dot MKIV. (opl tube amp)

I currently have in my amazon basket a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600 ohm and Sennheiser HD600. Both cost about £220.

I listen to every type of music. Rock, classical, jazz, opera, pop

Which would you choose and why? Or do you recommend a different headphone.

I can't spend more. Would love to spend less. Please be quick.

I would say the DT880/600 is the better all-rounder. DT990 better for rock, but DT880 has a nicer midrange and plays well across more genres. Also look at the pro versions of the Beyers which are cheaper (the cups don't look as nice and they clamp a little harder, but soundwise are the same)

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #7,023 of 29,490

Quote:
Want headphones with outstanding mids for their price in the $200-$300 price range.

Was looking at Denon D2000's, any other ideas?

Audio Technicas AD700/900 and Sennheiser 5xx springs to mind.

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #7,025 of 29,490
Sep 8, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #7,026 of 29,490
Gavin - I haven't heard the DT990s - but the DT880s are excellent for all the genres you listed.  They are really good all-rounders.  When you add tubes to the mix, it warms up the mids and to me they become REALLY good.  Great balance, really comfortable.  I'd definitely be looking at the DT880s with tubes.

Sorry - my HD600 still in transit, so I can't give you a comparison.

Thanks. I am torn now between the 880 and 990, both 600 ohm versions.

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #7,027 of 29,490
Beware the taste of sweet ortho magic... you'll never back...

Out of those, the M50 would be most suitable since they are reasonably rugged, can fold up for transport, and isolate well. They're also decent cans for all-round sound and performance. The MS1 provide no isolation whatsoever which means you won't hear your music plus you'll disturb those around you. The AD700 are nice but are quite large and not exactly something you'd feel comfortable hauling around in a bag. 

Any of the Shure headphones or Audio Technica M50 would do, or perhaps a Pioneer HDJ-500. Less bassy, the Sony V6 is also a great little beater. 

The HD25-1-ii is one of the most rugged headphones you can buy. The M50 is good, though not my first choice for classical (nor the HD25 for that matter). The DJ style headphones tend to lose their mids which is critical for classical and jazz. Maybe consider a Sony V6 or Shure 440?

Shure 240/440/550
Sony V6/7506/ZX700

I would say the DT880/600 is the better all-rounder. DT990 better for rock, but DT880 has a nicer midrange and plays well across more genres. Also look at the pro versions of the Beyers which are cheaper (the cups don't look as nice and they clamp a little harder, but soundwise are the same)

I believe the premium don't clamp as much? So feel more comfy? I heard the 990 has big bass. Would that work better with classical or jazz over the 880?

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #7,028 of 29,490
Hey dudes and ladies....  im new to this forum and I need some advice in getting some head gear(earphones or headphones)....
    I skateboard daily and I have went through countless earphones/head phones... I just need something Durable!!!!! the audio cable is the main problem as it gets snagged under my wheels or what not.
I have considered just getting some head gear that I have to plug in. So when the audio cable is gone i can replace it. Any advice would be much help!!
thanks,

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #7,029 of 29,490

Quote:
Sony V6/ZX700
Phiaton MS300
Beyer DT1350
Shure 940

Thanks dude, I had better start using up some hours finding more about some of these (V6's are neutral/monitor and shure 940 are dark if I remember correctly?)

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #7,030 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks dude, I had better start using up some hours finding more about some of these (V6's are neutral/monitor and shure 940 are dark if I remember correctly?)

I don't think they sell phiatons in the UK either.

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #7,031 of 29,490

Quote:
I believe the premium don't clamp as much? So feel more comfy? I heard the 990 has big bass. Would that work better with classical or jazz over the 880?

The pro models do clamp harder, but not to a degree as to cause discomfort (for me anyways). Beyer ears are quite large and plush, which spreads the pressure evenly. 

The big bass of the 990 detracts from the mids, which I feel isn't as good for classical or jazz. The DT880 is more even handed and sounds better to my ear.

Quote:
Hey dudes and ladies....  im new to this forum and I need some advice in getting some head gear(earphones or headphones)....
    I skateboard daily and I have went through countless earphones/head phones... I just need something Durable!!!!! the audio cable is the main problem as it gets snagged under my wheels or what not.
I have considered just getting some head gear that I have to plug in. So when the audio cable is gone i can replace it. Any advice would be much help!!
thanks,

Maybe one of the AKG portable wireless options? They clamp quite securely and shouldn't fall off. 

Quote:

The 840 is dark. The 940 is generally considered brighter.

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #7,032 of 29,490
Hi, i'm looking for some advice on what headphone to purchase

I am considering these two headphones 
Sennheiser HD518
Sony MDR ZX700
or any other headphones from £50-80

I listen to all kinds of music from electronic, pop,  rock and etc.
I plan to use these headphones for listening at home and on the go, build quality is very important to me as my previous headphone and iems had relatively good sound quality but died on me within months.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #7,033 of 29,490

Quote:
Have a look at either the DT880 Premium 250 Ohm, or Pro 250 Ohm.  The 880 is quite a balanced headphone - and will give you the bass you're looking for without going over the top.  They are extremely comfortable.  They're also very good for gaming (have a look at MLE's gaming thread).  If you're going to get an amp with plenty of power, you could look at the 600 ohm.  I have the 250 ohm Pros and they are great - both music and gaming.

I've never really seen anyone recommend the HD600 or HD650 for gaming (FWIW).

Thanks!

Would the fiio e9 be okay for the DT880 250 ohm? What would I need to drive the 600 ohm?

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #7,034 of 29,490
Hey guys, a friend just asked me to recommend a pair of wireless cans for watching movies at home.
She needs these as a gift in like, ten days, so she probably can't order from the States and wait for customs to clear anything, so it will need to be available in Canada.
She didn't tell me her budget, but i'm pretty sure it's the less then $100 range.

Any ideas? The guy she's giving them to isn't an audiophile, so he won't be picky, but it would be cool to get cans that are great bang for the buck. If you don't have a specific model, just an idea of what to look for would be nice (brand, specific features), and i would look for whatever's best according to that. Thanks!

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #7,035 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks!

Would the fiio e9 be okay for the DT880 250 ohm? What would I need to drive the 600 ohm?

The E9 has no trouble driving the 250 ohm - and should also be able to cope with the 600 ohm as well.  Get a second opinion on the 600 ohm though - I haven't tried them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back