++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 7, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #6,991 of 29,490

Hello,

I've been using the JVC HARX700 for a while, which are okay, but I think I'm now in the market for an significant upgrade. I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for general listening (mostly music, a little gaming) that's a significant step up in quality from the HARX700. I'm a student, so price is an issue, but I can probably afford to spend up to around $150 USD.

I mainly listen to classic rock, progressive rock, and some jazz, with some occasional ska thrown in. I like a more low/mid focused sound with very clear and precise, but not necessarily boomy bass (I want to be able to follow a bassline, but I don't need the thump). Treble is fine, so long as it isn't terribly fatiguing.  

Build quality and comfort are very important to me. I'd like these to last me quite a while, and I plan to use them a lot. I don't really know where I stand on the whole open vs closed debate though. I think I'd like the soundstage and airiness of an open headphone (the HARX700 get hot and sweaty after an hour or two), but I'd still like good bass and I'll probably be using them mostly in a dorm room, so I don't want too much sound leaking.

I don't have a headphone amp, and I don't think I'm in the market for one right now, because I don't really have the money to spare, so I'd like something that sounds good unamped either from my iPod or from my desktop. Buying an amp could be a possibility for the future, though.

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions you might have. Thanks!

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #6,992 of 29,490
For my first pair of headphones I am looking at either HD 555's or ATH AD700's.

What I am still unsure of is whether to get an external amp+dac combo (fiio e7/e9 maybe) or a pci soundcard (some variation of asus xonar).  Mainly I don't really understand the pros and cons of the different setups.  Does one limit me in a way the other doesn't, have better sound quality than another, or maybe leave me more open to upgrades in the future?

Thanks for the help.

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #6,993 of 29,490

Quote:

What I am still unsure of is whether to get an external amp+dac combo (fiio e7/e9 maybe) or a pci soundcard (some variation of asus xonar).  Mainly I don't really understand the pros and cons of the different setups.  Does one limit me in a way the other doesn't, have better sound quality than another, or maybe leave me more open to upgrades in the future?

Thanks for the help.

The pci soundcard will definitely have an inferior amp to the E9 or any other dedicated desktop amp. I don't know about the DAC section though. You could get a FiiO E9 and Xonar as well and run the Xonar's line-out into the E9, but then you loose the portable amp in the E7.

I was considering both the AD700 and HD 555, but I read that they were bass light/anemic/etc. (the HD 555 being superior bass-wise). I thought you might want to know that. They're both open-air so sound will be given off to the surroundings. The AD700 is known for being very large and their's a possibility that it will not fit you properly.

The HD 555's cable terminates into a 6.3mm plug. A 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter is included, but it makes the HD 555 not ideal for laptops and the like (since you're asking about pci soundcards I'm going to assume that won't be a problem). The Xonar cards (the ones I've seen at least it will vary depending on the model) can take a 6.3mm plug and so can the FiiO E9 without the use of an adapter. 

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #6,994 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks for the help.

The Xonar STX has the TPA6120 chipset as the headphone amp, which is the same as the one found in the e9. Implementations will obviously be different, but the STX is quite popular here and is no slouch, especially considering the two cans you're considering are not particularly hard to drive.

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #6,995 of 29,490

Quote:

Hello,

I've been using the JVC HARX700 for a while, which are okay, but I think I'm now in the market for an significant upgrade. I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for general listening (mostly music, a little gaming) that's a significant step up in quality from the HARX700. I'm a student, so price is an issue, but I can probably afford to spend up to around $150 USD.

I mainly listen to classic rock, progressive rock, and some jazz, with some occasional ska thrown in. I like a more low/mid focused sound with very clear and precise, but not necessarily boomy bass (I want to be able to follow a bassline, but I don't need the thump). Treble is fine, so long as it isn't terribly fatiguing.  

Build quality and comfort are very important to me. I'd like these to last me quite a while, and I plan to use them a lot. I don't really know where I stand on the whole open vs closed debate though. I think I'd like the soundstage and airiness of an open headphone (the HARX700 get hot and sweaty after an hour or two), but I'd still like good bass and I'll probably be using them mostly in a dorm room, so I don't want too much sound leaking.

I don't have a headphone amp, and I don't think I'm in the market for one right now, because I don't really have the money to spare, so I'd like something that sounds good unamped either from my iPod or from my desktop. Buying an amp could be a possibility for the future, though.

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions you might have. Thanks!

If you add a low cost sound card like the Asus Xonar DG (PCI) to your PC, it would add to the sound quality of any headphone plugged into it.
Superlux HD-668Bs are really good bang for the buck headphones.
This is stuff well under your budget.

Sep 8, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #6,996 of 29,490

Quote:
The pci soundcard will definitely have an inferior amp to the E9 or any other dedicated desktop amp. I don't know about the DAC section though. You could get a FiiO E9 and Xonar as well and run the Xonar's line-out into the E9, but then you loose the portable amp in the E7.

I was considering both the AD700 and HD 555, but I read that they were bass light/anemic/etc. (the HD 555 being superior bass-wise). I thought you might want to know that. They're both open-air so sound will be given off to the surroundings. The AD700 is known for being very large and their's a possibility that it will not fit you properly.

The HD 555's cable terminates into a 6.3mm plug. A 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter is included, but it makes the HD 555 not ideal for laptops and the like (since you're asking about pci soundcards I'm going to assume that won't be a problem). The Xonar cards (the ones I've seen at least it will vary depending on the model) can take a 6.3mm plug and so can the FiiO E9 without the use of an adapter. 

Quote:
The Xonar STX has the TPA6120 chipset as the headphone amp, which is the same as the one found in the e9. Implementations will obviously be different, but the STX is quite popular here and is no slouch, especially considering the two cans you're considering are not particularly hard to drive.

Thanks for the help.  I decided to finalize upon the Xonar ST (pci works better than pcie for my current setup) and AD700's.  I also have a huge head so I think the AD700's will be fine, but I appreciate you pointing that out.  I should probably go check to make sure I don't need to purchase an adapter to hook my AD700's into the Xonar.  It would suck if when they came in I couldn't use them until I was able to get one.  I don't often listen to music when I'm out, so a portable amp is unnecessary which is why I settled for just the Xonar soundcard.  Thanks again for all the help.  I'll post a new thread when it comes in with my impressions.

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #6,997 of 29,490
I'm wanting to upgrade from the ath-ad700 in the $200-300 price range.

I like the sound-signature/sound-stage/open-air of the ath-ad700 but I want some bass but nothing overwhelming. I also own the Sennheiser hd595 and I actually prefer the ath-ad700 over them. The ath-ad700's are pretty comfortable but I want to stay away from the ath-ad900 because I don't prefer the flaps.

So far I've come up with these:

AKG 702
Beyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium 600 Ohm
Sennheiser hd600

Which sound the most like ath-ad700? Any other recommendations?

For an amp I was thinking the fiio E9 or wait for the E15.

Will be used for: gaming, music: rock/electronica/epic orchestral
My sound source - SB Titanium x-fi.

Thanks for the help!

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #6,998 of 29,490

Quote:

I like the sound-signature/sound-stage/open-air of the ath-ad700 but I want some bass but nothing overwhelming. I also own the Sennheiser hd595 and I actually prefer the ath-ad700 over them. The ath-ad700's are pretty comfortable but I want to stay away from the ath-ad900 because I don't prefer the flaps.

AKG 702
Beyer Dunamic DT 880 Premium 600 Ohm
Sennheiser hd600

Thanks for the help!

Why did it seem that you chose the 3 hardest to drive headphones in your range?

The HD650 should work well with your soundcard.

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #6,999 of 29,490

Quote:

AKG 702
Beyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium 600 Ohm
Sennheiser hd600

Thanks for the help!

Have a look at either the DT880 Premium 250 Ohm, or Pro 250 Ohm.  The 880 is quite a balanced headphone - and will give you the bass you're looking for without going over the top.  They are extremely comfortable.  They're also very good for gaming (have a look at MLE's gaming thread).  If you're going to get an amp with plenty of power, you could look at the 600 ohm.  I have the 250 ohm Pros and they are great - both music and gaming.

I've never really seen anyone recommend the HD600 or HD650 for gaming (FWIW).

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #7,000 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the help.  I decided to finalize upon the Xonar ST (pci works better than pcie for my current setup) and AD700's.  I also have a huge head so I think the AD700's will be fine, but I appreciate you pointing that out.  I should probably go check to make sure I don't need to purchase an adapter to hook my AD700's into the Xonar.  It would suck if when they came in I couldn't use them until I was able to get one.  I don't often listen to music when I'm out, so a portable amp is unnecessary which is why I settled for just the Xonar soundcard.  Thanks again for all the help.  I'll post a new thread when it comes in with my impressions.

The Xonar ST comes with an adapter and I'm fairly sure the AD700 comes with one. 

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #7,001 of 29,490
Hi,
I'm thinking about buying the HD650, the Fischer FA 003w or the Hifiman HE-4
Which one would be the best buy ?
Thanks !

Sep 8, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #7,003 of 29,490
I will have the Maverick A1 amplifier (just odered it two days ago), I'm listening to Rock (punk mostly), French rap, Blues/soul, Dubstep, House/Dance, Classical :)

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #7,004 of 29,490
Hey guys, entry-level audiophile here. I'm ready to shell out for my first pair of mid-fi cans, but I'm having trouble settling. My listening habits are reasonably varied (http://www.last.fm/user/nindijin), and I'd like them to be fairly versatile (taking them to university and such). Above all, the sound quality is most important though. Here's what I'm tossing up between:
  1. ATH AD700s
  2. Alessandro MS1s
  3. ATH M50s
Help a newbie out?

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #7,005 of 29,490

Well, I finally gave in, I need Head-fi's and all of it's wonderful members to help. Now, I have read the newbie threat thing and I have poked around here, searching in an endless quest through the harsh lands of the internet for some headphones that will be suitable to my needs. (Insert heroic down trodden pose here)

Sometime in England

My current situation:

Yesterday: MY HEADPHONES ARE BROKEN! (Sony MDR 570LPB.AE or some sort of complicated name . . .)

Today: Tired after art project.

These headphones need to be durable, for walking to college three days a week and will be used a heck of a lot. Comfy, for walking to college three days a week and will be used a . . . I have a strange sense of deja vu, whatever, carrying on, they need a certain amount of portability. I don't mind if the are bulky, just not to bulky.  I would like them to have good sound quality over everything else except the comfort and budget. Budget is important. It can possibly go to £70 or maybe around £100 if I save up with christmas coming. Shh, don't say that word, parents will begin to panic!

And finally, the music. I listen to what most YOUTH listen to; Dubstep, hip hop, rap, alternative, rock, metal, basically, I listen to nearly all of it.

Anyways, hope you can help.

(If you're wondering, I got an A in English Literature to study Art funnily enough.)
wink_face.gif

I kinda just copied this straight from the thread I maybe shouldn't have started. Maybe an Admin or someone could close it or something? Oh well, live and learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back