++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 4, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #6,886 of 29,490
Hi all!
Not exactly a question on chhosing phones, but I'd rather not start a new thread.
I've bought new German Maestro GMP 8.35 D headphones, and I'm very disappointed with it's sound. Specifically - there's a huge spike on frequency response around 1-2 kHz, which makes the sound too harsh and masks the higher freqs. Someone told methat as far as the phones are new they might change sound after burn-in. personally, I don't think so, but it won't hurt trying anyway (or will it?..).
Can you recommend me the technique of burning new phones in? Currently I'm using pink noise 20 Hz - 20 kHz in a loop on above average volume, but I'm not sure it's a good idea.
Thanks in advance.

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #6,887 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi all!
Not exactly a question on chhosing phones, but I'd rather not start a new thread.
I've bought new German Maestro GMP 8.35 D headphones, and I'm very disappointed with it's sound. Specifically - there's a huge spike on frequency response around 1-2 kHz, which makes the sound too harsh and masks the higher freqs. Someone told methat as far as the phones are new they might change sound after burn-in. personally, I don't think so, but it won't hurt trying anyway (or will it?..).
Can you recommend me the technique of burning new phones in? Currently I'm using pink noise 20 Hz - 20 kHz in a loop on above average volume, but I'm not sure it's a good idea.
Thanks in advance.

Play a variety of tracks from different genres. Leave it going at a high volume for as much time as you'd like. Most people do this for 40 hours.

Oh. I ended up buying the ZX700. I'll write a review after I get them.

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #6,888 of 29,490
I need recommendations for a good full-size headphone, ~$300. 

I really enjoy a strong mid-bass (125 - 250 hz).  I am very sensitive to and fatigued by a sharp high-end or loud super-deep bass.  I tend to like rolled off highs.    Sennheiser PX-100 are pretty much my favorite headphone of all time, for example. 

No Sennheiser or Grado suggestions please.

So far I am considering:

Beyerdynamic DT 990
Ultrasone HFi 2400
AKG K 702

Which one am I likely to like best? 

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #6,889 of 29,490

I really enjoy a strong mid-bass (125 - 250 hz).  I am very sensitive to and fatigued by a sharp high-end or loud super-deep bass.  I tend to like rolled off highs.    Sennheiser PX-100 are pretty much my favorite headphone of all time, for example. 

So far I am considering:

Beyerdynamic DT 990
Ultrasone HFi 2400
AKG K 702

Depends on your amp. For example the AKG K702's need a good amp to shine.

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #6,891 of 29,490
Hi guys, as school is aproching im looking to buy a new per of headphones which are going to be on my ears from 7AM-4PM, of course not during the classes, so on avg about 4-5hrs a day.
So i need something thats going to be very very comfortable. I dont really car about the size of the headphones, but I do care about the look. dont want everybody to be starying at me at school. so I was thinking of AKG K701/702 but I've read that some people experince pain after awhile, also I looked at ATH- AD700. I know they are very very very very and very comfotable, but they sit loose on the head, is that big issue or not.. please be free to talk about other headphones also, I mentioned these because so far these are the ones that i like(the look, and overall soundwise) but if you think there are better ones let me know.
Thank you!!

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #6,892 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys, as school is aproching im looking to buy a new per of headphones which are going to be on my ears from 7AM-4PM, of course not during the classes, so on avg about 4-5hrs a day.
So i need something thats going to be very very comfortable. I dont really car about the size of the headphones, but I do care about the look. dont want everybody to be starying at me at school. so I was thinking of AKG K701/702 but I've read that some people experince pain after awhile, also I looked at ATH- AD700. I know they are very very very very and very comfotable, but they sit loose on the head, is that big issue or not.. please be free to talk about other headphones also, I mentioned these because so far these are the ones that i like(the look, and overall soundwise) but if you think there are better ones let me know.
Thank you!!

The K701 needs an amp and you really didn't provide enough information on what you're taking to school. The AD700 are huge, not very convenient. Check out the Koss PortaPros (I'm assuming you have no problem with open-air headphones), the Sennheiser PX series, and well basically this list. I personally chose the ZX700. They'll ship out to me soon enough.

EDIT: Oh and one headphone that isn't on that list that you might want to take a look at is the Shure SRH440. 

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #6,893 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi all!
Thanks in advance.

I'm not a proponent of burn in either, but pink noise for a few days ought to do it. 

Quote:

So far I am considering:

Beyerdynamic DT 990
Ultrasone HFi 2400
AKG K 702

The PX100 is one of my favourites as well. I think the DT880 would be a good full sized alternative. The DT990 are very strong in the bass and highs, and the K702 are leaning on the bright side as well. Your Kicas should drive the Beyers without problem.

Quote:
Thank you!!

You'll be wanting something with reasonably rugged construction, good isolation (so you don't bother people around you), and probably foldable or collapsible in some way to ease transport. The K701/2 and AD700 do not fit any of these criteria. Here's a bunch to look into:
Beyerdynamic DT770: rugged but kinda big, strong bass, several impedance models to choose from (go with the 32 ohm version if you don't have a portable amp)
Sennheiser HD280: excellent isolation, folds up
Sennheiser HD380: like above, better sound and comfort, but more expensive, folds flat rather than collapses
Senn HD25-1-ii: smaller and more portable, even better isolation
Beyer DT1350: similar to above
Audio Technica M50: full sized collapsible, moderate isolation
Shure 840: like above, better isolation, heavier

Sep 4, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #6,895 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks a lot. I totaly forgot about beyerdynamics. Im deff gonna go with Beyer., but not sure which version yet (DT-770,880 or 990?)

Go with the DT770 which is closed and will provide isolation from the outside world. Good bang for the buck would be the DT770pro (80 ohm) version. The consumer models have a nicer looking shell and clamp less, but also cost more.

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #6,898 of 29,490

Quote:
The PX100 is one of my favourites as well. I think the DT880 would be a good full sized alternative. The DT990 are very strong in the bass and highs, and the K702 are leaning on the bright side as well. Your Kicas should drive the Beyers without problem.

I read that the DT880 is more analytical and bright than the DT990, so that is why I mentioned DT990.  You don't agree that the DT990 is a better choice for someone with my preferences? 

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #6,899 of 29,490
I experienced the opposite; the DT990 was very shrill to my ears, while the DT880 is much smoother and has much better midrange. 

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #6,900 of 29,490
Need help deciding between these two pairs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=26-621-002&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3#scrollFullInfo

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=26-106-508&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

For the lazy:

Pioneer SE-M290

vs.

Sennheiser HD 202 II

Or if there are better headphones in this price range (20-25), I would be open to suggestions. First time buying over the ear headphones... Going to be using them for gaming / some music / youtubing lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back