++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 3, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #6,871 of 29,490
I'm wondering between those three:
- Phiilip SHP2700
- Creative HQ1400
- Sennheiser HD218

I'm need one for watching movies and listening to pop (lots of them are anime songs with female singers), instrument (OST) . I'm not listening to jazz, classical or rap.

Which suits my needs most ?
Thanks in advance.

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #6,872 of 29,490

Quote:
I've got a Sony 7.1 Receiver, and I'm feeding it HDMI through my PS3 for Audio. Yet whenever I watch a Bluray and when it gets to those Boomy Bassy parts my HD555's start to crackle to the point where i have to turn from something like 64 to 43, it's pretty **** annoying. I rarely ever notice it when on a DVD.

And doesn't removing the foam from the HD555's make them leak more sound? I could actually test it out for myself, but apperantly some people are saying this mod only makes a teeny weeny difference and it's 'still' not quite up to snuff as the 595's.

Quote:
From what I recall, the HD380 (the non mic version of the PC350) is ok from onboard sources.

I'm mostly just familiar with portable usb dac/amps... you have several offerings from iBasso, Leckerton, FiiO, Nuforce, etc, just to get you started.

If the crackling happens when you've turned the volume up, the first two things I think of:
1) dirt in the driver - crack it open and visually check for hair or dirt on the driver
2) you're clipping the output - if your receiver runs off a discrete or opamp headphone stage rather than tapping off the speaker outputs, then it could be current or voltage clipping, or maybe both. Do you have any other source/amp you could try?

Well I cracked them open and to my suprise there actually was a bit of dirt and hair and the like going on. So I cleaned them out, put it all back together and fired up a bass heavy movie like the horrible A Nightmare on Elm Street 'Remake'(The original movie however is a total horror masterpiece hehe) and crackling continued like crazy during scenes when the music and so on kicked into gear. As for my Sony 7.1 Receiver, i have no idea what it's running on and it's the only Amp i have actually. Is it possible that my PS3 could be causing this regarding something being checked in the audio options that shouldn't be checked?

Anyways, I put a bid on the HD595's on eBay. The seller seems trusted at 99% and has sold almost 100,000 items, however i made a stupid mistake by not checking the actual feedback. The seller has around 400 negatives and neutrals....eek! I sent him a message making sure if the HD595's are brand new, unopened and not refurbished. I've got 15 hours left til the auction is over as well. here's a link...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/390343702544?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #6,873 of 29,490

Quote:

Well I cracked them open and to my suprise there actually was a bit of dirt and hair and the like going on. So I cleaned them out, put it all back together and fired up a bass heavy movie like the horrible A Nightmare on Elm Street 'Remake'(The original movie however is a total horror masterpiece hehe) and crackling continued like crazy during scenes when the music and so on kicked into gear. As for my Sony 7.1 Receiver, i have no idea what it's running on and it's the only Amp i have actually. Is it possible that my PS3 could be causing this regarding something being checked in the audio options that shouldn't be checked?

Anyways, I put a bid on the HD595's on eBay. The seller seems trusted at 99% and has sold almost 100,000 items, however i made a stupid mistake by not checking the actual feedback. The seller has around 400 negatives and neutrals....eek! I sent him a message making sure if the HD595's are brand new, unopened and not refurbished. I've got 15 hours left til the auction is over as well. here's a link...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/390343702544?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 

Yea he's legit, I know that hes a audio technica authorized dealer so doubt he sells fake goods.

Sep 3, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #6,876 of 29,490

Quote:Oj
Yea he's legit, I know that hes a audio technica authorized dealer so doubt he sells fake goods.

Sounds good, i just fear that i may get a faulty/refurbished pair. If worst comes to worst if that's even the case which i doubt, i'll just send it back. I already just wasted $220 + $20 from the UPS mail dudskie on a pair of Sennheiser HD380's. Dissapointing all around compared to my HD555's...A crushing moment indeedy when i read the fine print saying that returns were only accepted if the item was damaged or if it was the wrong item all together.lol Oh well, i'll just sell it on eBay. :p Loved the next to no sound leakage, but the tight fit, and flat sound and weaker sound stage and boomyness to it irritated me....

I had to switch back to my HD555's after not even 20 minutes during a movie.lol

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #6,877 of 29,490

Quote:
Thank you for your answer.
I'd like a good soundstage and I think that my wife can tolerate some "noise"!

Ale

I would go with the DT880 then. It's a fine headphone with decent staging and the leakage is relatively low for an open headphone.

Quote:
I'm wondering between those three:
- Phiilip SHP2700
- Creative HQ1400
- Sennheiser HD218

I'm need one for watching movies and listening to pop (lots of them are anime songs with female singers), instrument (OST) . I'm not listening to jazz, classical or rap.

Which suits my needs most ?
Thanks in advance.

Check Joker's large budget headphones thread (link in the first post of this thread). He doesn't cover all those models, but has a few similar ones for you to get an idea.

Quote:

The only way to track it down is process of elimination. Try a different headphone with the setup, then a different source, then a different amp... but if you don't have other pieces of gear to use, then I'm not sure what you can do.

Did the crackling get better/worse/nothing changed after cleaning?

Quote:
Sounds good, i just fear that i may get a faulty/refurbished pair. If worst comes to worst if that's even the case which i doubt, i'll just send it back. I already just wasted $220 + $20 from the UPS mail dudskie on a pair of Sennheiser HD380's. Dissapointing all around compared to my HD555's...A crushing moment indeedy when i read the fine print saying that returns were only accepted if the item was damaged or if it was the wrong item all together.lol Oh well, i'll just sell it on eBay. :p Loved the next to no sound leakage, but the tight fit, and flat sound and weaker sound stage and boomyness to it irritated me....

I had to switch back to my HD555's after not even 20 minutes during a movie.lol

Well the HD380 is supposed have a tight fit and flat sound as its meant for studio work. The open Senns are probably much better suited for you. (incidentally, $220 was not a good price for them... assuming you live in the US)

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #6,878 of 29,490
Well, I'm going to test out my HD380's on my 7.1 Receiver in the mean time to see if they actually crackle as well, and of course when i get my HD595's in the mail.
As for there being any difference after cleaning out the HD555's, naddah. :p maybe the shredded upper part of the cord has something to do with it. Either way, I'll just do a bunch of testing, check out the Amp manual and play with the PS3's Audio settings.

As for the HD380's....ya, they just aren't my cup of tea. They didn't sound natural when watching movies......A bit artifical, flat and mildy echoey depending. I tried to get used to them, but i couldn't do it and tossed them aside and went back to my busted up HD555's.lol

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #6,879 of 29,490
I'm looking at upgrading. 

I worked my way up. First I had Audiotechnica ATH-M50 (which I still use and love).  Then to Grados SR-225i (which I enjoyed, but ended up selling to try something else). Then I got HD-600's (which I still enjoy, I love their clarity and acoustics). But at that point I wanted more bass. So i got a Denon AH D2000. (They are extremely comfortable, and I enjoy these headphones. Yet something is lacking for me).

So, I'm looking at the following:

HD-650
HD-800 
Hi-FiMan HE-500

I know that is quite the price jump. But I figured I would really invest in the long term. So basically, I hear the 650 is a clear like the 600, but has artificially enhanced Bass (which people don't love, but it depends on who you talk to. And they can be improved with Amping). I hear the HD-800 are godly, and extremely clear with dynamic bass. And then well, the HE-500 seems to have mixed reactions from what I gather. Most talk about the HE-6 or the Audez'e LCD-2 headphones. 

But I want to buy my headphones through Amazon, as I have credit (not credit card, I mean actual money already tied to it from a gift card. About $400). And unfortunately the LCD-2's aren't sold on there. So I think realistically, I'm going back and forth between the HE-500s and the HD-800s. I've heard good things about the Planar Magnetic technology, but admittedly know nothing about them. I think at this point, I want a really clear headphone (like the HD-600) but with dynamic bass. 

Any input or help would be appreciated. I will tell you, I generally listen to Indie Rock (and some electronic). But my taste is very diverse. I also have sensitive ears to Sibalance. Booming bass doesn't give me headaches, but sibalance will. 

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert. I just listen with my ears, and know what I love. And so if anything I said above is incorrect (especially the parts where I wrote general impressions of the various headphones), please excuse my ignorance. I know at the end of the day the best thing to do is to just try the headphones out for yourself. Fair enough. But I still would like to hear your guys input, and ideas before I make the plunge to try one out first. 

And as always, I always appreciate the hospitality this site has offered me ever since I've signed up. You've all been so gracious and helpful. I can't thank you enough. :)

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #6,880 of 29,490
I'm also in the market for some full-sized cans. At first I chose the AD700, but then I read that they're bass anemic. I'm currently using a pair of Panasonic Slimz and they have 0 bass. I can't stand it. I dropped the idea of any open-air headphones (the HD555 specifically). I've concluded that anything in the $100 range that is open-air can't possibly have good bass. 

Then some very popular closed headphones came into my view. The MDR-V6 (allegedly the same as the 7506), HD280, and the SRH440. I haven't really seen anything else in this price range as enticing as those 3. I'm worried about comfort mainly. I intend to run all of these through my Razer Orca's (RIP) extension cord, chill on my sofa, and playback some games/anime (speakers are not an option....). 

Are the pads on the V6 uncomfortable? I see people paying $20 for the beyer velour replacements.... Thats 1/3rd of the headphones price (1/4th of the 7506). Is the stock one uncomfortable or does it just break apart?

I hear the SRH440 are total crap when it comes to comfort. They get hot and the headband is hefty.

I don't know that much about the HD280, but I've seen it stated that they're better for all-round when compared to the V6.

It's down to those three and I'm really leaning towards the Sony pair. If anyone can tell me otherwise about the bass on an open-aired pair then that would also be welcome. What about other pairs, such as offerings from Ultrasone?

EDIT: Forgot to mention. These shall be my main headphones. I mainly listen to orchestra (video game soundtracks, movie scores, some classical), opera, and j-pop.

EDIT #2: Just checked some reviews. It looks like I'll be getting either the HD280pro or the Sony ZX700.

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #6,881 of 29,490
I asked for help about a week or two ago and I got some good ideas, though I've been refining what I want.

So to recap my search: I'm looking to get a decent pair of closed-back headphones that would replace my HD555s. If they travel well, that's awesome, though not necessary. I listen to electronic + jazz + classical (european and indian), if that helps.

I've narrowed down my search to the following:
FA-003
ATH-ESW9a
B&W P5
HD25-II

And I think I'll spring for a decent portable amp. Any suggestions?

Budget is pretty flexible, $700 or so max with an amp.

Sep 3, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #6,882 of 29,490
Hi guys, headphones have been breaking for years with me, and they all sound mediocre. I'm looking to spend anywhere for $40 to $80, and maybe $100 for a good, long lasting, good sounding pair. I've read the guides and I've seen some good things in this price range, I just want to know if they're good for my usage and listening preferences before I decide on one. Right now I've got some crappy earbuds that are as comfortable as rocks and I need a pair of headphones as soon as possible.

I listen mostly to metal, death metal, hard rock, , anime music, and j pop.

I'm eying the Grado SR60i/SR80i as it will supposedly make me hear things in my music I've never heard before, but the sound leakage and lack of isolation might be deal breakers. Even though the headphones are to be used only for home use, my house is filled with loud television, loud music, loud arguments, loud screaming matches, and I want to be able to block that all out. I also don't want people in other rooms to hear what I'm listening to as they will come and bang on my door telling me to turn it down. I'm not fond of the idea of having to go to the patio or garage every time I want to use my laptop and watch anime or listen to music but I am attracted to the promise of Godly Grado sound.

Commonly suggested alongside the Grado cans are the Sennheiser PX 100/200 II's and the Koss Portapro's. I don't need portability but those headphones are said to have less sound leakage than the Grado headphones and while not as good as the Grado's they almost reach it.

Another pair I'm considering are a pair of headphones that my friend and his band made with Skullcandy. The lifetime warranty looks good. The specs looks alright and he let me listen to his pair and they sounded better than the garbage earbuds I use.

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/lowrider-shoe-purple.html He made these.
http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/lowrider-shoe-white.html His cousin made these.

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #6,883 of 29,490
I wouldn't settle on low end Skull Candy, especially given your budget.

The Audio Technica M50 is in your price range.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478476/the-audio-technica-m50-studio-monitor-appreciation-thread

There's also a good buzz around here about the Fischer FA-004.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/485660/review-fischer-audio-s-fa-004

I've also been recommended Shure SRH-440s.

Personally, I just bought Grado SR80i cans today.  Couldn't beat the price ($80).  The sound certainly is detailed, but you do hear absolutely everything going on around you.

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #6,884 of 29,490

Having in the last 3 months bought a new pair of behind-the-neck on-ear headphones (ok-ish, poorly built but decent sounding Sennheisers. A part of the band actually split, though the sound wasn't affected and the issue is remedied with a combo of superglue to prevent further breakage and black electric tape for stability 
triportsad.gif
/
smily_headphones1.gif
) and a new pair of IEMS (pretty nice, sometimes troublesome Monster Turbines 
smile_phones.gif
), I'm now looking at non-behind the neck, full sized on-ears. My Sennheiser experience was a little less than ideal given the breakage, and I've heard lots of not so nice things about Monster on ears, so the main manufacturer I'm looking at is Grado. The SR60, SR80, SR125, and SR225 are all kind of in my range (the SR225 not so much, although I could be persuaded).

So among those 4 pairs, which would be my best choice? Or, is there another pair of cans in the same price-range that would work better for me? I have pretty diverse musical tastes, from classic rock to jazz to R&B to Punk to Grunge to blues to even the occasional classical. And I don't want to spend as much as $200 on something I wind up hating. I can go into a store and possibly listen to one or two of these, but long-term usage and thoughts would be a huge help.

Thanks!

By the way, I accidentally posted this in a new thread before noticing this thread (sorry!) so that other post can/should be deleted.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #6,885 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking at upgrading. 

I worked my way up. First I had Audiotechnica ATH-M50 (which I still use and love).  Then to Grados SR-225i (which I enjoyed, but ended up selling to try something else). Then I got HD-600's (which I still enjoy, I love their clarity and acoustics). But at that point I wanted more bass. So i got a Denon AH D2000. (They are extremely comfortable, and I enjoy these headphones. Yet something is lacking for me).

So, I'm looking at the following:

HD-650
HD-800 
Hi-FiMan HE-500

I know that is quite the price jump. But I figured I would really invest in the long term. So basically, I hear the 650 is a clear like the 600, but has artificially enhanced Bass (which people don't love, but it depends on who you talk to. And they can be improved with Amping). I hear the HD-800 are godly, and extremely clear with dynamic bass. And then well, the HE-500 seems to have mixed reactions from what I gather. Most talk about the HE-6 or the Audez'e LCD-2 headphones. 

But I want to buy my headphones through Amazon, as I have credit (not credit card, I mean actual money already tied to it from a gift card. About $400). And unfortunately the LCD-2's aren't sold on there. So I think realistically, I'm going back and forth between the HE-500s and the HD-800s. I've heard good things about the Planar Magnetic technology, but admittedly know nothing about them. I think at this point, I want a really clear headphone (like the HD-600) but with dynamic bass. 

Any input or help would be appreciated. I will tell you, I generally listen to Indie Rock (and some electronic). But my taste is very diverse. I also have sensitive ears to Sibalance. Booming bass doesn't give me headaches, but sibalance will. 

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert. I just listen with my ears, and know what I love. And so if anything I said above is incorrect (especially the parts where I wrote general impressions of the various headphones), please excuse my ignorance. I know at the end of the day the best thing to do is to just try the headphones out for yourself. Fair enough. But I still would like to hear your guys input, and ideas before I make the plunge to try one out first. 

And as always, I always appreciate the hospitality this site has offered me ever since I've signed up. You've all been so gracious and helpful. I can't thank you enough. :)

I've had a taste of the ortho pie, and now there's no going back...

Quote:
I'm also in the market for some full-sized cans. At first I chose the AD700, but then I read that they're bass anemic. I'm currently using a pair of Panasonic Slimz and they have 0 bass. I can't stand it. I dropped the idea of any open-air headphones (the HD555 specifically). I've concluded that anything in the $100 range that is open-air can't possibly have good bass. 

Then some very popular closed headphones came into my view. The MDR-V6 (allegedly the same as the 7506), HD280, and the SRH440. I haven't really seen anything else in this price range as enticing as those 3. I'm worried about comfort mainly. I intend to run all of these through my Razer Orca's (RIP) extension cord, chill on my sofa, and playback some games/anime (speakers are not an option....). 

Are the pads on the V6 uncomfortable? I see people paying $20 for the beyer velour replacements.... Thats 1/3rd of the headphones price (1/4th of the 7506). Is the stock one uncomfortable or does it just break apart?

I hear the SRH440 are total crap when it comes to comfort. They get hot and the headband is hefty.

I don't know that much about the HD280, but I've seen it stated that they're better for all-round when compared to the V6.

It's down to those three and I'm really leaning towards the Sony pair. If anyone can tell me otherwise about the bass on an open-aired pair then that would also be welcome. What about other pairs, such as offerings from Ultrasone?

EDIT: Forgot to mention. These shall be my main headphones. I mainly listen to orchestra (video game soundtracks, movie scores, some classical), opera, and j-pop.

EDIT #2: Just checked some reviews. It looks like I'll be getting either the HD280pro or the Sony ZX700.

Under $100, the Sennheiser PX100-ii actually has a surprising amount of bass for such a tiny open headphone.

The HD280 is king of isolation. It has a fairly strong clamp though, and does heat up a bit. I would consider the HD380 a definite upgrade in terms of sound quality and comfort, but you get what you pay for.

The V6/7506 is a good headphone, doesn't isolate as well as the HD280, but is more rugged and doesn't heat up nearly as much since it tends to set on the ear rather than around. Sound signature is a bit more treble tipped compared to the HD280, which aren't exactly bass heavy but do have good bass extension.  I haven't heard the ZX700 so can't offer any comments there. They are quite well reviewed however. The 7510 is also apparently the same thing.

Quote:
I asked for help about a week or two ago and I got some good ideas, though I've been refining what I want.

So to recap my search: I'm looking to get a decent pair of closed-back headphones that would replace my HD555s. If they travel well, that's awesome, though not necessary. I listen to electronic + jazz + classical (european and indian), if that helps.

I've narrowed down my search to the following:
FA-003
ATH-ESW9a
B&W P5
HD25-II

And I think I'll spring for a decent portable amp. Any suggestions?

Budget is pretty flexible, $700 or so max with an amp.

ESW9a: mid-focused, fantastic for classical and folds flat for portable use, though isn't what I would call a rugged headphone.
P5: good all-rounder, though you do pay a bit for the brand, incredibly comfortable and excellent isolation
HD25-1-ii: it's got a punchier sound, loses a bit of instrument separation in favour of edgier presentation, very rugged
I haven't heard the FA-003

Of the three I'm familiar with, I would pick the ESW9a for your genres. They are also quite easy to drive, so an amp isn't necessary.

Quote:
Hi guys, headphones have been breaking for years with me, and they all sound mediocre. I'm looking to spend anywhere for $40 to $80, and maybe $100 for a good, long lasting, good sounding pair. I've read the guides and I've seen some good things in this price range, I just want to know if they're good for my usage and listening preferences before I decide on one. Right now I've got some crappy earbuds that are as comfortable as rocks and I need a pair of headphones as soon as possible.

I listen mostly to metal, death metal, hard rock, , anime music, and j pop.

I'm eying the Grado SR60i/SR80i as it will supposedly make me hear things in my music I've never heard before, but the sound leakage and lack of isolation might be deal breakers. Even though the headphones are to be used only for home use, my house is filled with loud television, loud music, loud arguments, loud screaming matches, and I want to be able to block that all out. I also don't want people in other rooms to hear what I'm listening to as they will come and bang on my door telling me to turn it down. I'm not fond of the idea of having to go to the patio or garage every time I want to use my laptop and watch anime or listen to music but I am attracted to the promise of Godly Grado sound.

Commonly suggested alongside the Grado cans are the Sennheiser PX 100/200 II's and the Koss Portapro's. I don't need portability but those headphones are said to have less sound leakage than the Grado headphones and while not as good as the Grado's they almost reach it.

Another pair I'm considering are a pair of headphones that my friend and his band made with Skullcandy. The lifetime warranty looks good. The specs looks alright and he let me listen to his pair and they sounded better than the garbage earbuds I use.

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/lowrider-shoe-purple.html He made these.
http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/lowrider-shoe-white.html His cousin made these.

Since isolation is very importabt, you may want to consider iems instead. For headphones, maybe consider the Sennheiser HD280 which is one of the best isolating headphones in any price bracket. There's also the AKG K81/518, Sony V6/7506, Ultrasone HFi450...

Here's an excellent thread with a ton of reviews of budget headphones, and there's a handy table near the end. Look up those with good isolation:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-91-portable-headphones-reviewed-marshall-major-urbanears-plattan-added-08-27

Quote:

Having in the last 3 months bought a new pair of behind-the-neck on-ear headphones (ok-ish, poorly built but decent sounding Sennheisers. A part of the band actually split, though the sound wasn't affected and the issue is remedied with a combo of superglue to prevent further breakage and black electric tape for stability 
triportsad.gif
/
smily_headphones1.gif
) and a new pair of IEMS (pretty nice, sometimes troublesome Monster Turbines 
smile_phones.gif
), I'm now looking at non-behind the neck, full sized on-ears. My Sennheiser experience was a little less than ideal given the breakage, and I've heard lots of not so nice things about Monster on ears, so the main manufacturer I'm looking at is Grado. The SR60, SR80, SR125, and SR225 are all kind of in my range (the SR225 not so much, although I could be persuaded).

So among those 4 pairs, which would be my best choice? Or, is there another pair of cans in the same price-range that would work better for me? I have pretty diverse musical tastes, from classic rock to jazz to R&B to Punk to Grunge to blues to even the occasional classical. And I don't want to spend as much as $200 on something I wind up hating. I can go into a store and possibly listen to one or two of these, but long-term usage and thoughts would be a huge help.

Thanks!

By the way, I accidentally posted this in a new thread before noticing this thread (sorry!) so that other post can/should be deleted.

Just stick with the SR60 for now, as there isn't a significant difference (to my ears) moving up the line until you get to the HF-2.

Do try before you buy though, as that is the best thing one can do.

It's getting late and my brain is shutting down now. I'm sure I can come up with some better suggestions once I get some sleep in me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back