++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #23,446 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Have you considered the Amperior?

I did read some reviews on them, I'd have to listen to them in store to decide though.  I read the following

The plug end is too big for portable use? (true or false?)
The earpads are on ear - are the comfortable (because i tried a pair of Grado's once and they were unfortable after a while
The soundstage of the Amperior is not as open and wide as the Momentum? (True false?)  not really sure what this means though

thx

Plug--I've had no problems, despite using an iPhone with a very big/thick protective case.

Comfort is a very individual thing.  I can only say that of those who have tried both, fewer will have concerns about the Senn.  The earpad material is very different between the two.

Have not yet heard the (reported to be bassier) Momenmtum.  I can tell you that the Amperior has a very good sound stage for a closed can, and is excellent on the left to right spectrum.  It certainly does not have the up/down + depth and positioning of the much more expensive and open T1 (but then I would be shocked if the Momentum did either). 

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #23,447 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I am looking at buying some headphones purely for mixing at home. I have been searching the forums constantly trying to find an answer, but haven't been able to make a definitive decision on a pair.

I know it's all personal preference, but I just wanted to see what the most recommended is. Unfortunately I have been unable to find a place to audition these headphones and most online retailers don't allow returns due to hygiene reasons.

I don't have a strict budget but I'd like to keep under the £200 as they are for home studio use only.

So far my list stands at:

Audio Technica ATH M50 - £120
KRK KNS8400 - £129
Beyerdynamic DT880 pro 250ohm - £185
Shure - SRH940 - £179

Not sure if the DT880's or the Shure's are worth the extra???

I don't mind open or closed back and I mostly record guitar based music.

All replies & suggestions much appreciated.

Carl
user_online.gif

I like the DT 880 best from you list, but they are probably too bright for mixing. 

The 940 is your best match.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #23,448 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
-Sigh-
If I had a dollar for every time someone recommended those on here, I would be absolutely rich.

The M50 is overrated for the price it costs. Plus, it is closed back, which is a minus.
The sound is cramped into a small cup. It is inferior to open-backed headphones in the same price.

Don't get the M50.

They must get recommended for a reason no? They can't be that bad can they? and open back vs closed is another preference thing, I wouldn't say it was a minus.

Closed or open--the M-50 colors the sound that goes into them.  If you like that "adjustment" to the track that is put down, that's fine.  However, there are a number of other closed cans that are more accurate and more balanced in the same general price band.  Two of these are the Shure SRH 840 and KRK KNS 8400, both of which come with replaceable cables unlike the M-50--which as only an attached long cable.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #23,449 of 29,490
Quote:
Is it possible for me to find out which DAC chip is used by Asus Xonar Essence ST and STX and by Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium and Titanium HD etc..... ?   So that I can then compare them to whichever DAC chipset is being used by some of the external DACs?  Well that is if one is able to also find out which DAC chip is being used by the external DAC.

That's more than a little OT.  You need to raise this in the Computer Audio section of the forum.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #23,450 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Shure SRH-440
Noontec Zoro
Audio Technica ATH-AD700
Audio Technica ATH-A700x
Takstar Hi2050 (Technical Pro HPT990)
Takstar Pro 80
Sennheiser HD439
Grado SR80i
Brainwavz HM5

Sorry if I just seem to be blurting out random suggestions. But, I am. 

Forgot to mention I like bass and need them not leaking sound.

If you're OK with recessed mids and don't mind a long cable, the M-50 might be the best match for you.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #23,451 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for a pair of headphones around $0-100USD for PC Gaming/Movies.

Using a ZERO+ DAC. 

Main needs probably are a Large Soundstage, Bass doesn't need to be too heavy as long it is clean and tight, I like good sounding mids as well.

Have looked at the AD700, but wondering if there are other alternatives as this runs around $120 on amazon atm.

Absent a fire sale on an upline can, you are on the  right track with the 700.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #23,452 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys, ill be copying this format just for the sake of organizing
Budget: $0-200 (the lower, the better)
Music preferences: Rock(Classic, Alternative, Post-Rock ) and some Metal
Open or closed design: doesnt really matter, open would be a plus tho
Amped or unamped: unamped, i will be using it with my mp3 player

thanks so much

Grado SR225i

Audio Technica ATH-AD900

Senn HD 558

If being portable is important, options will vary from these.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #23,453 of 29,490
Quote:
This thread is a little overwhelming to try and find stuff, so I'm just going to post something new and hopefully no one has asked anything like it before :)

1. Budget: $300 (preferably under $200)
  2. Source: iPhone
  3. Requirements for Isolation: Don't care about noise leaking IN, but do care about no noise leaking OUT (office environment)
  4. Preferred Type of Headphone: Closed over the ear
  5. Preferred Tonality: Unsure, whatever makes my music sound the best
  6. Preferred Music: Folk, Acoustic, Broadway -- Swell Season, The Civil Wars, Mumford and Sons, Broadway soundtracks (Lion King, Les Miserables, etc).  I do occasionally listen to some lighter Rock, so if it can not totally fail at Rock, that would be great.

Thanks!

Unamped---closed---save money: KRK KNS 8400.

The Audio Technica ATHESW9A Portable Wooden Headphones are also worth a look and listen, especially now that prices have dropped.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #23,454 of 29,490
Alright well I'm ready to take the dive and buy some new headphones.  But I can't do it without the help from you guys!  I have been doing some research around Head-Fi and found that for my price range, the Sennheiser HD650's, Hifiman HE-400's and Grado SR325is' seem to be the best available.  So my first question is what are your takes on these cans?

1. I currently have a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780's and Etymotic HF5's which I use with a Fiio E11 amp
  2. I listen to a pretty wide range of music, but it mainly comes down to rock and alternative with occasonal electronic (but I can use the Ultrasone's for electronic music)
  3. I play the bass guitar, so having a headphone that I can fully experience the bass in other songs is very important to me, but I do not want it to be too over powering that it takes away from the music
  4. I mainly listen to music off of my iPhone 4S

I will also be planning on buying an amp and possibly a DAC, which leads me to my second and third questions as well.

So I am thinking that I will need a portable amp, so based on your recommendation for the pair of headphones, what portable amp should I get in the $300 price range?  I've read that the HD650's require a pretty good amp, so will that price range be able to showcase their sound?

And lastly because I use my iPhone as my main player, should I invest in a DAC that is compatible with the iPhone?  If so, what do you recommend that is either an amp/DAC or just a DAC that works with the iPhone?

Thanks guys so much for the help!  And you have any other suggestions aside from what I mentioned, please do tell!

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #23,455 of 29,490
Quote:
This thread is a little overwhelming to try and find stuff, so I'm just going to post something new and hopefully no one has asked anything like it before :)

1. Budget: $300 (preferably under $200)
  2. Source: iPhone
  3. Requirements for Isolation: Don't care about noise leaking IN, but do care about no noise leaking OUT (office environment)
  4. Preferred Type of Headphone: Closed over the ear
  5. Preferred Tonality: Unsure, whatever makes my music sound the best
  6. Preferred Music: Folk, Acoustic, Broadway -- Swell Season, The Civil Wars, Mumford and Sons, Broadway soundtracks (Lion King, Les Miserables, etc).  I do occasionally listen to some lighter Rock, so if it can not totally fail at Rock, that would be great.

Thanks!

I preferred SRH940 to about a dozen $100-$500 closed headphone I've heard, with SRH840 not far behind.  They are relatively neutral and work well with most kinds of music and have very good soundstage for closed headphones.  Two well-liked closed headphones I haven't heard are K550 and T50RP but you can read about them here and here.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #23,457 of 29,490
Quote:
Alright well I'm ready to take the dive and buy some new headphones.  But I can't do it without the help from you guys!  I have been doing some research around Head-Fi and found that for my price range, the Sennheiser HD650's, Hifiman HE-400's and Grado SR325is' seem to be the best available.  So my first question is what are your takes on these cans?

1. I currently have a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780's and Etymotic HF5's which I use with a Fiio E11 amp
  2. I listen to a pretty wide range of music, but it mainly comes down to rock and alternative with occasonal electronic (but I can use the Ultrasone's for electronic music)
  3. I play the bass guitar, so having a headphone that I can fully experience the bass in other songs is very important to me, but I do not want it to be too over powering that it takes away from the music

I will also be planning on buying an amp and possibly a DAC, which leads me to my second and third questions as well.

So I am thinking that I will need a portable amp, so based on your recommendation for the pair of headphones, what portable amp should I get in the $300 price range?  I've read that the HD650's require a pretty good amp, so will that price range be able to showcase their sound?

And lastly because I use my iPhone as my main player, should I invest in a DAC that is compatible with the iPhone?  If so, what do you recommend that is either an amp/DAC or just a DAC that works with the iPhone?

Thanks guys so much for the help!  And you have any other suggestions aside from what I mentioned, please do tell!

All the cans you list are very good albethey quite different, especially the Grado from the other two.  The Senn is not easy to drive and the 400 is a planar.

From your list, only the Grado will serve unamped from your iPhone.  Also check out it sibling the Alessandro MS-2, which is less bright.

For an old school dac/amp, look into the powerful old school (and on sale for $50 off) HeadRoom Total BitHead:

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-total-bithead.php

If it intests you, this review will too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u97XipWhLxc

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #23,459 of 29,490
Quote:

I'd scratch the 325s of your list (Grado woodies have much better bass and treble).  And if you're going to put $300 towards an amp I'd scratch the others off too and get HE500 and the cheapest amp that will work out the line out of your ipod.  The sound difference between different amps and dacs are tiny compared to headphones, and the HE500 sound noticeably better than any <$1000 headphone I've heard.  Then go steal your uncle's vintage amp and use that for home.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #23,460 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I'd scratch the 325s of your list (Grado woodies have much better bass and treble).  And if you're going to put $300 towards an amp I'd scratch the others off too and get HE500 and the cheapest amp that will work out the line out of your ipod.  The sound difference between different amps and dacs are tiny compared to headphones, and the HE500 sound noticeably better than any <$1000 headphone I've heard.  Then go steal your uncle's vintage amp and use that for home.

I agree that the Grado RS line has better bass, but the 325is, that sits on top of the Grado SR line, does quite well.  It's a full step up from the 225i in the bass department.

The HE-500 is a great can, but much more expensive than anything on the list.  Is there a portable amp/dac that will properly drive the HE-500?  If so what does it cost?  I don't know of any, but I am not a portable amp expert and don't know all that is out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back