++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 16, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #23,431 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks for the quick answer Magicman74. The Cal is only on ear? I can't find it in Portugal on a store, so only saw it on pics like this one http://asset0.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/sc/32810185-2-200-0.gif and tought it was full ear also. ^^

In terms of sound, does the Senn behaves better in the rest of the sound range? Or are they about the same in soundrange/SQ?

I have Normal size ears( I think?-LOL) and the CAL rest on them.  I guess you could tuck them up in the pads?  Never tried, or if you have small ears they should cover them..  Sound is really an opinion,  Both Cans sound very good.  The Cal has a bigger V-shape and then Senns have a more balanced sound.  The Cal for my taste has a more aggressive sound next to the Senns.
The Senns being more polite.  I prefer a slightly more aggressive V/U shape, But I love my Senns as well.
If I plan on " Rocking out" I grab the Denons/Cal, if I'm just chilling I grab the Senns. (But the Senns) will "Rock out" if called for.
 If that makes any sense???

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #23,432 of 29,490
Yeah, i think i know what you mean. I don't have small ears, so right now, against what i initially tough, the Senn's are getting ahead. The Senns i think i can get a hold of a pair to try, so i might do that, tough i won't have the CALs to compare.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #23,433 of 29,490
Quote:
Yeah, i think i know what you mean. I don't have small ears, so right now, against what i initially tough, the Senn's are getting ahead. The Senns i think i can get a hold of a pair to try, so i might do that, tough i won't have the CALs to compare.

That's a good idea to try them out first.  Just to see what you think about them.  You could Love them or Hate them.
At least you can get a better opinion.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #23,434 of 29,490
Quote:
Mostly I'm wanting peoples opinions on how the superlux compares to the CAL. Is the bass overpowering on the CAL? Are the highs on the superlux actually that piercing? Do the superlux cans actually have decent bass? Are either of these headphones responses really very "flat"? Which one would you guys choose if you were me?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me. I've been feeling a bit lost lately :frowning2:.

Here is my data point.  I have both the Samson SR850 and the CAL!.  I am one of the people who find the SR850 too bright for music. I like the CAL!.  It is currently my favorite office headphone.  (At home, where I have better source equipment and fewer isolation constraints, I use the Ortofon O-one mostly, but sometimes the HD518, ATH-AD700, and T50RP.)  I have not used the SR850 for months. I would recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 235 and the Philips Cityscape Downtown over the SR850, at a lower cost.  The Downtown is especially recommended if you like bass.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #23,435 of 29,490
Here is my data point.  I have both the Samson SR850 and the CAL!.  I am one of the people who find the SR850 too bright for music. I like the CAL!.  It is currently my favorite office headphone.  (At home, where I have better source equipment and fewer isolation constraints, I use the Ortofon O-one mostly, but sometimes the HD518, ATH-AD700, and T50RP.)  I have not used the SR850 for months. I would recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 235 and the Philips Cityscape Downtown over the SR850, at a lower cost.  The Downtown is especially recommended if you like bass.

Thank you very much for your data point.

Based on your response (and others) I went ahead and ordered the CAL!. The fact that they dropped down to $60 made the purchase even easier :). I'll be getting them in a day or two, and hope that I'll find them to my liking.

Do they "need" to burn in like people say that the superlux HD668B "needs" it?

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #23,436 of 29,490
Quote:
Thank you very much for your data point.

Based on your response (and others) I went ahead and ordered the CAL!. The fact that they dropped down to $60 made the purchase even easier
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'll be getting them in a day or two, and hope that I'll find them to my liking.

Do they "need" to burn in like people say that the superlux HD668B "needs" it?

Yes, and I don't believe in burn in myself. The Cal/Denon are the only cans I noticed " Burn in" with, Bio-Cell drivers use very thin membranes and they change...  Other cans, never notice.. More brain burn in...  the Cal's get better every day!!! 

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #23,442 of 29,490
Quote:
Experienced Head-Fi:ers, up for a challenge? I need enlightening.

These are my criteria:

1. Closed - I will be using them while commuting and would hate to disturb others. And of course, wouldn't like others disturbing me :]
  2. Around ear - I wear glasses which makes on-ear headphones very uncomfortable.
  3. Sound - I'm sensitive to sibilance. Other than that - I don't really know. I like being able to hear details in classical music, I like hearing vocals (especially female) clearly, but I also like to feel the bass from electronica.
  1. €200-300 -  I'm also interested in buying a Fiio E17 AMP/DAC as I believe my HTC One X isn't the best source.

Tried a few headphones, but was a while ago:
  1. Sennheiser Momentums - Too small earpads + glasses makes them uncomfortable. Otherwise interesting sound.
  2. AKG K550 - Couldn't get them to fit right, very bad isolation due to this issue so barely listened to them.
  3. Sony MDR-1R - Interesting and very comfortable, but maybe need to try these with an amp, seemed like it needed more than my HTC One X? Or that's just their sound?
  4. Denon AH-D400 - Not too keen on the design, but should maybe listen to these again as I can't remember what I thought about the sound.

Grateful if you guys can help me out!

Regards,

billiek

For traveling, good isolation is key otherwise background noise will kill sound quality, making good headphone irrelevant.  HD-25 have decent sound and very good isolation, so would work well.  Other closed headphones sound much better imo (SRH840/940, D2000/D5000) but they don't isolate as well so would probably sound worse on a commute.  If you could tolerate them, iems could let you have it all- very good isolation, many options for superior sound quality, small and discreet, would not touch your glasses & there is no need for amplifier, letting you put your pennies towards the best possible headphone, which always gives you the best quality on your investment.  Here is a comprehensive thread comparing iems:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-268-iems-compared-dunu-dn-17-dn-18-updated-01-15-13#post_6492044

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #23,443 of 29,490
Quote:
  1. Budget: $100
  2. Source: Desktop
  3. Requirements for Isolation: The Sennheiser HD 201s were fine
  4. Preferred Type of Headphone: Over the ear
  5. Preferred Tonality: I think I'm looking for balance.
  6. Preferred Music: 80% of what I listen to belongs to different sub genres of heavy metal. I.E Wintersun, Axis of Advance, Doomsword, Melechesh, Turisas

I need help replacing my dying pair of Sennheiser HD 201, so I want to take this opportunity to upgrade to the entry level. For the most part I enjoy how the 201s sound

Grado SR60/80 with modded ear pads to balance out their sound.  Glorious phones for guitar that don't need an amp to shine.  That being said, get a warm $100 dac/amp like the udac and they will sound even better if your music is >256kbps.  Even an ipod will have a better dac than what comes stock on computers, they're really not the best source.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #23,444 of 29,490
This thread is a little overwhelming to try and find stuff, so I'm just going to post something new and hopefully no one has asked anything like it before :)

1. Budget: $300 (preferably under $200)
  2. Source: iPhone
  3. Requirements for Isolation: Don't care about noise leaking IN, but do care about no noise leaking OUT (office environment)
  4. Preferred Type of Headphone: Closed over the ear
  5. Preferred Tonality: Unsure, whatever makes my music sound the best
  6. Preferred Music: Folk, Acoustic, Broadway -- Swell Season, The Civil Wars, Mumford and Sons, Broadway soundtracks (Lion King, Les Miserables, etc).  I do occasionally listen to some lighter Rock, so if it can not totally fail at Rock, that would be great.

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #23,445 of 29,490
Hello

I'm looking for a pair of closed, over ear headphones(or a headphone+amp/dac combo). Isolation is fairly important, though I'm not really looking for sound canceling (I had a pair of Grado SR80i that I took around with me, and i'm fairly tired of "Your music is too loud, I can hear it, you're going to blow your ears out" etc etc.).

I listen to a pretty wide 
variety of music, mainly electronic stuff (DnB (Pendulum/Netsky), Dubstep (Bassnectar), House (Daftpunk/Deadmau5) Psytrance(Infected Mushroom)), but also a good amount of indie folk/rock (Passenger), also Gorillaz.

I don't mind if they aren't the most portable things ever, I'll lug anything around if it sounds good.

My main music player is my ASUS TF 300 w/ 320 kbs mp3s.

My budget is ~$500.

I was looking at maybe the Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350, or Ultrasone PRO 900(which are on sale for ~$300) with a Fiio E17 as options, but my knowledge of headphones is fairly limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back