++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 25, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #166 of 29,490
Hello,

I'm looking for headphones that would be great for gaming on my PS3 console.  I'm going to buy an Astro Mixamp to add surround sound, and I will hook that up to my Mccoy v. 2.02 if need be.  I'm looking for the best overall headphones I can possibly buy in my budget of two hundred American dollars.  I can spend a bit over that if the cost is justifiable.  Although I am tech savy about electronics in general, I really have no experience when it comes to headphones, or sound for that matter.  I play mainly FPS's, such as the Call of Duty franchise, and sometimes listen to music, but I really just want these primarily for the console.  Can someone gifted in the wisdom of sound help me make a decision of great quality headphones?  I'm not too concerned about extreme bass or anything like that, but I do want to be able to hear footsteps as accurately as can be.  From what I've read, open headphones seem to offer the best sound and clarity, but I don't know where to start looking.  Please make suggestions as to what I should purchase.  I am very grateful, and thank you all in advance.

- Crash

Dec 25, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #167 of 29,490
yifu
Check your local music/guitar stores. The might have Fostex headphones.

keph
Your dac is fine, you don't need a new one. It's not the strongest amp in the world, but more than enough for most headphones. If you're looking to upgrade the amp, I would recommend the Purity Audio KICAS Caliente which are currently on sale and offer a great warm mid and bass. For headphones, a full sized Beyer (770/880/990) might be up your alley for hip hop/RnB/etc. If you'd like to branch out into some vocal jazz like Sinatra, then one of the big Sennheisers will be fantastic.

andtobis
Check the portables forum Joker's massive IEM thread (in the portables forum)

JJBug
The Senn PX200-ii is somewhat similar to the HD448, although the 200-ii has better bass that reaches deeper (if I recall, the 448 rolled off rather early; I much preferred the 438).

thebigham
With some gaming in the mix, I liked the other Audio Technica offerings in the A700/AD700 (or 900 series, etc).

Hayder
Honestly, when you're playing in that price range you owe it to yourself to try out the headphones first before buying. You might even try playing a bit with EQ (gasp!) to see if more bass if really what you want, of if you're just looking for a bit more clarity and oomph (which could be a midbass thing).

Chone
The 555 is a solid headphone and is easily modded into the more expensive 595. The Senn PX100-ii is also a good buy for around $60. The Shures are good headphones and don't need amps; and you basically increase bass as you move up the line. For cheap and compact, check out Joker's massive portable headphone thread (in the portables forum)

wichogt
The T50RP and HD555 both have relatively flat responses, but your similarities should end there. One is an open dynamic can, the other is a closed orthodynamic. The Fostex is also significantly harder to drive (the same with all orthos), but are a huge source of modding projects and easily tweakable to suit your personal tastes. The E7 will probably be enough for casual listening, but probably not enough to really pump hard (the combo with the E9 would be enough though).

Dec 25, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #168 of 29,490
Currently own: ATH-M50s

Want to upgrade to something a bit better that's still easily drivable. I do like my bass but I like it crisp and refined, not muddy. Right now I'm looking at the ATH-A900 or the ATH-AD900. Not looking at any Beyerdynamics, just not my thing. Also not a fan of Grados and the Sennheisers that are comparable, are fairly hard to drive (HD600+).

So looking for:
  1. Easily drivable
  2. Crisp bass, not muddy
  3. Don't mind "recessed mids"
  4. Within $300
  5. Preferably w/i AT line
  6. Large Soundstage

Any input? Not looking to spend more than $300. I kinda have my heart set on another audio technica because I really enjoy the sound signature of my M50s. Though the M50s is great, the soundstage is just lacking and the bass is kinda muddy. I just want to fill the gap with something within the AT line. 

Best,

Neil

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #169 of 29,490
UltimateCrash
Maybe look into the Audio Technica AD700, which are on sale for $100 through amazon.

neil1138
Bear in mind that the M50 is quite literally like the black sheep of the AT family and that none of their other headphones sound like it. If you want something that sounds like an upgraded M50, I would suggest the Phiaton PS 500 (which has been described in some reviews as an "M60"). If you want to stay within the AT family, then I suggest either the A900 or ESW9a.

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #170 of 29,490
I'm going to buy some headphones to replace my old Sennheiser HD212 PRO, mostly due to confort issues with this model - after, what, an hour of listening, I find my ears to hurt unbearably and can no longer listen to music.

I'm looking for something that can give me an uncompromising sound, around the 100€ price range. So far, I've read about Sennheiser HD555 and HD558 models, which are over-ear and thus would present no problems confort wise, especially for very long listening sessions, but I've heard concerns that these are more home-theater headphones rather then music oriented ones.

Also, I've read abou the KOSS PRO4AA or PRO4AAT, but have some serious concerns on the sound quality of these models - I've read plenty of reviews that state that the 4AAT are very poor in terms of sound quality and that for a good PRO4AA I'd need to shop on eBay for one manufactured years ago as the recent ones lack quality. Also a concern is the frailty of these headphones, as I've read that they break with fair ease if dropped and I have a younger brother living with me.

Also in consideration are the Audio-Technica ATH-M50, of which I've read many great reviews, namely in TestFreaks, but a few users voiced concerns over confort in long listening sessions, which is a must-have for me.

I have also checked out the ATH-T500, but haven't found much on them.

So, what do you guys say? :) Would appreciate any help and suggestions :D

I already posted this on a separate topic before posting it here because I didnt notice this topic existed. sorry :frowning2:

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #171 of 29,490

Thank you, you're right, but I really dont have the chance to try them out, because I cant find most of them (besides the grado) here in portugal. Thats why I really need help choosing the headphones.

Quote:
yifu
Check your local music/guitar stores. The might have Fostex headphones.

keph
Your dac is fine, you don't need a new one. It's not the strongest amp in the world, but more than enough for most headphones. If you're looking to upgrade the amp, I would recommend the Purity Audio KICAS Caliente which are currently on sale and offer a great warm mid and bass. For headphones, a full sized Beyer (770/880/990) might be up your alley for hip hop/RnB/etc. If you'd like to branch out into some vocal jazz like Sinatra, then one of the big Sennheisers will be fantastic.

andtobis
Check the portables forum Joker's massive IEM thread (in the portables forum)

JJBug
The Senn PX200-ii is somewhat similar to the HD448, although the 200-ii has better bass that reaches deeper (if I recall, the 448 rolled off rather early; I much preferred the 438).

thebigham
With some gaming in the mix, I liked the other Audio Technica offerings in the A700/AD700 (or 900 series, etc).

Hayder
Honestly, when you're playing in that price range you owe it to yourself to try out the headphones first before buying. You might even try playing a bit with EQ (gasp!) to see if more bass if really what you want, of if you're just looking for a bit more clarity and oomph (which could be a midbass thing).

Chone
The 555 is a solid headphone and is easily modded into the more expensive 595. The Senn PX100-ii is also a good buy for around $60. The Shures are good headphones and don't need amps; and you basically increase bass as you move up the line. For cheap and compact, check out Joker's massive portable headphone thread (in the portables forum)

wichogt
The T50RP and HD555 both have relatively flat responses, but your similarities should end there. One is an open dynamic can, the other is a closed orthodynamic. The Fostex is also significantly harder to drive (the same with all orthos), but are a huge source of modding projects and easily tweakable to suit your personal tastes. The E7 will probably be enough for casual listening, but probably not enough to really pump hard (the combo with the E9 would be enough though).

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #172 of 29,490
Hayder, Head-Fi has a For Sale forum for you to participate in the very active buy/sell merry-go round. It may be a viable option for little loss if you can't trial cans locally.

Dec 25, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #175 of 29,490

I recently received a pair of Bowers and Wilkins P5 Mobile Hi-Fi headphones, which cost about 320 dollars with tax at the Apple store. They look amazing, but the price is pretty overwhelming, especially due to the fact that I am much closer to being a considered a casual listener than a musical maestro on the listening spectrum. I was considering returning the P5's and instead purchasing the ATH-M50's by Audio-Technica. I was hoping to get some advice on whether or not this was a good plan, and if the Bowers and Wilkins P5's are really worth the price for someone who is not an expert. What would you guys do?

PS... I posted this to its own thread, but realized that making threads like this is sort of frowned upon on here. Sorry for any inconvenience. 

Thanks again,

-Paul

Dec 25, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #176 of 29,490
hey ppl, i just wanted to know if i made a wise purchase recently. i recently purchased the Shure SRH 440, and after reading around the forums, i also purchased the 840 ear pads. i will be using them primarily and mostly to listen to music off of my ipod, mostly metal such as iron maiden, dream theater, opeth, and megadeth, if that helps. thanks in advance.

Dec 25, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #177 of 29,490
Hi! I'm looking for a new hifi headphones. My first hifi headphones.

I love rock, i know that Grado rocks but... SR60i? SR80i? SR125i? or SR225i?

I'll use them with iPod, iPhone and PC (no sound card). Will i need an amp?

Thanks!!

Dec 25, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #178 of 29,490
Hello, I am yet another who just recently started the journey of good audio.

Long story short, I was opened to the world of buying audio gear when about a month ago (Black Friday) I purchased the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones, though I eventually found them to be lacking, and my girlfriend spilled Pepsi on them anyway: they are dead now. Charged the $67 I spent to experience, I guess!

Since it's Christmas time, I have about $200 to spend for another headphone system for my desktop PC. This budget is flexible, but the ~$200-250 range covers both the cans and perhaps a USB DAC for my PC, since my motherboard has really poor onboard sound.

I do not have a sound card and am unsure whether to buy one or a USB DAC. I can hear very annoying static from the PC peripherals when I plug in my CX-200s to the input in the back of my PC, worse even from the headphone port in the front. I can hear a hiss on those CX-200s on my Ipod shuffle too: they were not the best purchase I made, but this is beside the point.

I am here, well, because I took one step forward and you know... took two steps backward simultaneously and need some guidance from the ones who have already been down the road I'm on. 
etysmile.gif

Thanks to you, my eyes (wait... my ears) have been opened: I am conscious of what quality sound is!
I am a music education major and saxophonist, so I often listen to music critically (jazz like Coltrane, classical like Mahler) and can distinguish very subtle timbre differences. I also like to mess around with mixing tracks and mastering, so take a hint of monitoring into consideration as well.

As of now, I live in a dorm where it is somewhat noisy, which is why I purchased the closed cans (HD 280 Pro). I really liked the noise isolation, though I have never tried quality open headphones. My dorm life is temporary anyway, and I am thinking of the years to come. I am really unsure if I want to sacrifice the sound quality just for noise isolation for the next couple of years. At home and perhaps 60% of the time I spend in my dorm, it is quiet and I can make some noise with no problem: I don't have to worry about sound leaking through open headphones, as I hear they do sometimes.

So far, I've done some research and have come up with the following:

1.) Sennheiser HD555, currently $90 on Amazon, with perhaps a cheap DAC to go with it. I know of the FiiO E7 USB DAC, the HeadRoom Total AirHead, and the Bithead, just so I won't hear the static of my PC and perhaps to enliven the already beautiful sounding headphones. I heard from reviews that the HeadRooms do not have good electro-magnetic shielding, so I am unsure if this is a viable option, as the static of my PC is unbearable!

2.) I am also considering other Sennheisers around the ~$100 price range, such as the newer HD 518. A little more pricey @ $130, though. Maybe I should audition some at a local store first? 
atsmile.gif

3.) I am completely unfamiliar with other brands other than Sennheiser. Sorry, I'm kinda new here, but am willing to learn, and listen! Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

4.) Or, you can ignore all of my recommendations I provided and go with a route you deem as better or more practical for my needs.

I really owe the people that reply to this essay. Maybe I'll make you some breakfast in the future or something. 
etysmile.gif

Much appreciated,
Mangoloid

Dec 25, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #179 of 29,490
Reposting for some advice:

Just returned my THIRD pair of Denon D2000's due to quality issues; first pair right screw holding on the cup hinge broke, another pair had a loose screw that had no ability to tighten, and the third came with a kinked headband....

I love these headphones without a doubt, just not sure if I should get them from a different supplier or switch headphones completely....

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back