FiiO E6 - story of the tiny amp continues... (w/ review on 1st page)
Nov 26, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #316 of 611
hmm considering getting a fiio e6. using it to drive my vsonic gr07. i noe it doesnt benefit much from amping, but when im outisde i really cant hear much bass, and it sounds quite sibilant on my creative zen x-fi2. mayb the eq2 will solve these issues? tried playing with eq, bass boost, x-fi settings but i always ended turning off everything lol.

at home i'm on my titanium hd soundcard from my computer, sibilance isnt an issue and it sounds freaking awesome especially since its quiet at home as well. jus sounds better in every way compared to when im out.

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #319 of 611
I got this little bugger bundled with Westone 3's. The E6 is a neat little device. However, I already have iBasso's D10 with topkit, and this produces a clearer and more dynamic sound. Not that I expected the E6 to outperform significantly larger, more expensive portable amps. 

Let me start with the bad. I have a Clip+, but I see very little benefit with using the E6 with the Clip+. The Clip+ can already drive all my IEMs decently, and the increase in SQ is negligible to my ears. The Clip+ struggles to drive full-size cans, and the E6 might come in handy then, but realistically I rarely or never use the Clip+ with full-size cans. I don't use the EQ settings on the E6.

Although it "fails" in its volume-increasing and sound improvement duties (with my mp3 players), it does provide some other benefits. Firstly, it reduces the hiss out of my other DAP: a Sony Walkman X; without adding all the bulk of my iBasso D10. I can still fit the rig in my pocket this way. Secondly, my cell phone has a really weak amp, and it struggles to power even my most efficient IEMs. So the E6 is useful there, although honestly I rarely listen to music from my phone unless I forget to bring one of my DAPs.

Still, as situational as these two scenarios are, I think they make the E6 worth keeping. Especially since it came bundled, and it has such a tiny, tiny footprint. In summary, the E6 is small - this characteristic is both its greatest strength and its greatest weakness. If you are someone who either has never had a portable headphone amp, or you are someone who, like me, can find even the slightest use of it, then I recommend this tiny amp. Because it won't cost much money nor will it weigh you down.

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #321 of 611
Yes, but why does the E6 seem to have better controlled and more "pure" bass than the E7, in spite of the more glassy-sounding midrange and edgy quality of the former over the latter?  What's allowing the E6 to exceed in the bass department if it fails in the measured performance compared to the E7?

Quote:
Ouch ! You know I cant link to you-know-who, but most of you will know who this comes from. Basically, he feels that Fiio have gone backward from the E5 - dont shoot the messenger.

1. Falls 25% short of FiiO specs for output power into 16 and 150 ohms
  2. Lower build quality, poor quality clip, and more plastic compared to cheaper E5
  3. Single control has 5 functions which is not intuitive and may be confusing
  4. Alarming levels of ultrasonic/RF leakage of DC-DC charge pump into audio output 
  5. 50% higher price than E5
  6. Very marginal clipping performance
  7. Excessively broad bass EQ results in muddy/bloated sound
  8. Requires 3 extra actions every time powered on to use with sources over 1.1 Vrms 
  9. Moderate phase error

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #326 of 611
Hi guys. Just got my E6 today to use with my Clip+, my Ortofon e-q5 and my on-the-way Denon D2000. Unfortunately on the EQ2 it seems to have a small channel imbalance, making the left channel louder and with more dynamics than the right channel. Has anyone experienced this? Or i just got a broken unit?

Edit: After some audition, it seems that my e-q5 has a somewhat more "dynamic, fuller" sound with a little more bass when driven directly from my Clip+ in comparison with the E6 in flat mode... Using my laptop it`s the inverse: Fuller sound with the E6. In booth cases the treble do improve quite a bit, becoming smother and clearer than before.

Edit 2: That's sooo strange... Feed by my laptop, the E6 sounds very very good... It gives me more detail, clearer and smoother highs, fuller mid range and more presence and punch to the already tight bass...  but from the clip+ don`t, and actually the clip seems to sound worst...    

P.S.: Sorry for my English, it`s not my native language.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #328 of 611

Quote:
Hi guys. Just got my E6 today to use with my Clip+, my Ortofon e-q5 and my on-the-way Denon D2000. Unfortunately on the EQ2 it seems to have a small channel imbalance, making the left channel louder and with more dynamics than the right channel. Has anyone experienced this? Or i just got a broken unit?

Edit: After some audition, it seems that my e-q5 has a somewhat more "dynamic, fuller" sound with a little more bass when driven directly from my Clip+ in comparison with the E6 in flat mode... Using my laptop it`s the inverse: Fuller sound with the E6. In booth cases the treble do improve quite a bit, becoming smother and clearer than before.

Edit 2: That's sooo strange... Feed by my laptop, the E6 sounds very very good... It gives me more detail, clearer and smoother highs, fuller mid range and more presence and punch to the already tight bass...  but from the clip+ don`t, and actually the clip seems to sound worst...    

P.S.: Sorry for my English, it`s not my native language.

Try setting the volume on Clip+ to really high (max), then use E6 to control volume. If you keep find volume imbalance on E6, you might need to exchange it for a new one.

Quote:
Which EQ setting has the best sound quality? Off or EQ2 (blue)?
I think off is crisp and clean, but EQ2 has good bass, but treble is a bit lower. What are your thoughts? 

It is all very personal. Jusy pick one you like or use them both (not at the same time of course),

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #329 of 611
your review makes my  E5 jelly :frowning2: but I just ordered the E17...so not so jelly anymore :D 
gs1000.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #330 of 611

Quote:
your review makes my  E5 jelly :frowning2: but I just ordered the E17...so not so jelly anymore :D 
gs1000.gif

Good for you. I like my D3 feeds thru E6 with or without EQ. My old forgotten DVD player in my attic now has been resurrected .  Not bad for the money FiiO. However, Moi, not too much into to the E7 as an amp. I hope the E17 has been revamped from the E7.

Too many E....if I confused some of the E...never mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back