FiiO E6 - story of the tiny amp continues... (w/ review on 1st page)
Oct 28, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #301 of 611

Quote:
^ Oh ok. My IE8 had a silver-coloured jack and it didn't give me any problems in 18 months. Neither did my HD 25-1 since I got it 12 months ago. But we are seriously derailing this thread--if you have questions about the HD 25-1, I'm sure you can find the answers on headphone-specific threads.

Back on topic: I notice the E6 cable has a tendency to not slot fully into the amp. Anyone else experience this?

Yes, it takes a good bit of force to get it in there.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #302 of 611
=\
Happened in the store, as well. They didn't realise that the jack wasn't fully inserted into the LOD, and I sat there for half a song wondering why people were praising such a hollow-sounding amp.

Issue only seems to be with the stock cables though; I'd wager any other cable, cheap or otherwise, will fit better.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #303 of 611

Quote:
=\
Happened in the store, as well. They didn't realise that the jack wasn't fully inserted into the LOD, and I sat there for half a song wondering why people were praising such a hollow-sounding amp.

Issue only seems to be with the stock cables though; I'd wager any other cable, cheap or otherwise, will fit better.

Hmm, the Fiio LOD cables seem to take a bit of force too. Not bad, but definitely takes some force.

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #306 of 611
Thanks for the reviews as well as the instruction. I almost have the unit returned thinking that the unit does not take charge. Now, I know the followings:

1. Hold the power button up for a few seconds to turn the unit on.
2. The blue light EQ really makes my Sony Viao headphone jack out sounds first class.  Harsh HF is tamed down and the vocal are clear and full. I listened to Queens and AC/DC last night and I have to say that I am very pleased with my under $30.00 purchase.

The hiss noise is pretty bad when I have the E6 USB and the cooler fans USB running the same time but when the music is playing, I cannot hear the hissing noise.

Thank you FiiO for providing these gadgets at low budget but they work.

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #308 of 611
Ouch ! You know I cant link to you-know-who, but most of you will know who this comes from. Basically, he feels that Fiio have gone backward from the E5 - dont shoot the messenger.

1. Falls 25% short of FiiO specs for output power into 16 and 150 ohms
  2. Lower build quality, poor quality clip, and more plastic compared to cheaper E5
  3. Single control has 5 functions which is not intuitive and may be confusing
  4. Alarming levels of ultrasonic/RF leakage of DC-DC charge pump into audio output 
  5. 50% higher price than E5
  6. Very marginal clipping performance
  7. Excessively broad bass EQ results in muddy/bloated sound
  8. Requires 3 extra actions every time powered on to use with sources over 1.1 Vrms 
  9. Moderate phase error

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #309 of 611
Good thing I don't listen to amp using scope, but I guess there is no pleasing for the engineer :wink:.

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #310 of 611
What is the difference between the fiio e5 and fiio e6? Did they discontinue the fiio e5?

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #311 of 611
FiiO is still selling E5 but it will be discontinued and replaced by E6.

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #312 of 611
Hi ClieOS: Thank you very much for your review, I am now a happy owner of my very own E6. I just have a question regarding volume; do you know how many steps the E6 has? I am using a Westone UM2 and a line-out from an iPod Touch 2G, so I am worried that by being at 4-10 clicks of the volume I am listening to music at too high volume. What are your thoughts?

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #313 of 611
Can't remember the exact number, but I think it is around 60~64 steps. The actual volume of your headphone is not only determined by the source and amp, but also by the sensitivity and impedance of your headphone. So it really isn't much point to tell you how much volume should you set on the amp. Just use as little volume as you can while still able to enjoy the music.

Nov 24, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #315 of 611

Quote:
Ouch ! You know I cant link to you-know-who, but most of you will know who this comes from. Basically, he feels that Fiio have gone backward from the E5 - dont shoot the messenger.

1. Falls 25% short of FiiO specs for output power into 16 and 150 ohms
  2. Lower build quality, poor quality clip, and more plastic compared to cheaper E5
  3. Single control has 5 functions which is not intuitive and may be confusing
  4. Alarming levels of ultrasonic/RF leakage of DC-DC charge pump into audio output 
  5. 50% higher price than E5
  6. Very marginal clipping performance
  7. Excessively broad bass EQ results in muddy/bloated sound
  8. Requires 3 extra actions every time powered on to use with sources over 1.1 Vrms 
  9. Moderate phase error

I'm happy with the EQ2 setting, but I am using it with slightly bass-light headphones too....my SR60i's and ATH-P5's. He is absolutely right about the non-intuitive controls though, and the clip would be more fragile than the all-metal E5, although I haven't broken one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back