DUNU DK-4001 --- Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 28, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #46 of 391
As per usual, work has not given me much free time, so I've been lagging in getting in contact with Mr. Zhao, and writing down the questions I want to ask (in Chinese, no less).

However, I did find a singular set of impressions from China that isn't a vague-fest like the others have been. I'll work on translating bits and pieces of it here and there when I can. It'll have to come in multiple installments, since I won't have time to do it all at once.

In the meantime, here is a picture of what seems to be the first snapshot of the upcoming Titan 6. It seems to take on the general "half in-ear" shape of the Titan 1/1es/3/5 series, but now appears to have some matte copper-colored trimmings --- a departure from the polished/chromed stainless steel look that defined the Titan models. The diaphragm is now Beryllium on one side (as opposed to the dual-sided Beryllium coating of the DK-4001). I'm curious to see how it'll be priced, especially relative to the Falcon-C, which is a great value at $220.

7cdad3eagy1fwmlti5dxij21400tzgpp.jpg

Oct 28, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #47 of 391
Dunu DK-4001

(raw notes)

Strong vocals

Decent treble extension (although probably can be a little more refined - burn in??)

Bass is tight but not too deep.

Front staging

Decent soundstage but would like it to be a little more holographic

Quite revealing.

Nice supple cable’s

Lots of accessories (2.5 - 4.4mm TRRS), etc

Quite efficient - vol 80 balanced on NW-WM1Z

$900

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #48 of 391
Nice! You got a listen at the fall Fujiya show?

Surprised it’s bass extension isn’t as immediately good though; they seem to have worked on that aspect quite a bit. Perhaps it’s the show environment? Still seems promising.

Most people still have questions about comfort; any issues with that, @AnakChan ?

Oct 28, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #49 of 391
So these days I’m more open to full meaty sounds - very much influenced by the FitEar Titans, Air2 & the IER-M9 which to me have “similar” sounds (but not the same).

Let me head back up to give them another listen (yep, still at the show).

Oct 28, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #50 of 391
Am I allowed to eat my own words? That’s why the 1st notes I jotted down were so raw :wink:

L1000813.jpg

There is decent bass extension.

I didn’t seem to get a good seal but I’ve not changed the default medium tips.

Fit is good and small. Doesn’t protrude. I don’t have any discomfort. Cables are flexible and not microphonic.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #51 of 391
The Titan 6 is also here now. Listening to it right now (so another “raw notes”).

Warmer and “bloomy”. The 4001 seems to have a little more “control”. Titan 6 trebles are a little more tame compared to 4001.

12mm Beryllium driver (coated one side of diaphragm). Japan ¥15000 (approx USD$130/150)?? Availability around Dec '18

PA280028.jpg

I’m also trying out another called “Zen” (dunno new or not). It’s a 13mm Beryllium driver (coated both sides of driver). Price not set but guesstimate around $590?? Availability Spring '19

Sounds closer to the 4001-like style.

PA280029.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #53 of 391
@AnakChan I know off-topic, any chance you can compare the HA-FW10000 against the other TOTL IEM, like K4001? Thanks in advance.
Sadly I didn't get a chance to try the HA-FW10000 for a comparison. I didn't even know about the HA-FW10000!!

P.S. Pix added to earlier posts.

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #54 of 391
The Titan 6 is also here now. Listening to it right now (so another “raw notes”). Warmer and “bloomy”. The 4001 seems to have a little more “control”. Titan 6 trebles are a little more tame compared to 4001.

12mm Beryllium driver (coated one side of diaphragm). Japan ¥15000 (approx USD$130/150)?? Availability around Dec '18

I’m also trying out another called “Zen” (dunno new or not). It’s a 13mm Beryllium driver (coated both sides of driver). Price not set but guesstimate around $590?? Availability Spring '19 Sounds closer to the 4001-like style.

The 'Zen' shells look identical to that of the DK-4001, so I'm guessing it's just the dynamic driver of the DK-4001, without the 4 BAs. It might just be a winner.

So how 'bright' is the 4001? Hopefully it's no more than the 3001.

As for the Titan 6, if the Beryllium driver doesn't have that slightly annoying fundamental resonance at around 5k that the titanium-diaphragm Titan 3/5 have, then it should be a great value.

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #55 of 391
The 'Zen' shells look identical to that of the DK-4001, so I'm guessing it's just the dynamic driver of the DK-4001, without the 4 BAs. It might just be a winner.

So how 'bright' is the 4001? Hopefully it's no more than the 3001.

As for the Titan 6, if the Beryllium driver doesn't have that slightly annoying fundamental resonance at around 5k that the titanium-diaphragm Titan 3/5 have, then it should be a great value.
I'm gonna be frank mate, at this point I'm gonna refrain from posting any further impressions. 'cos from yesterday to today, my 4001 listening has gone to a 180. I think the only way I'd feel more confident about sharing more thoughts would be spending more time with them in a more controlled environment.

Are there any shows coming up in your area where you're able to give them a listen? I'm probably trusting your ears more than I trust mine this past weekend!

Oct 28, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #57 of 391
I'm gonna be frank mate, at this point I'm gonna refrain from posting any further impressions. 'cos from yesterday to today, my 4001 listening has gone to a 180. I think the only way I'd feel more confident about sharing more thoughts would be spending more time with them in a more controlled environment. Are there any shows coming up in your area where you're able to give them a listen? I'm probably trusting your ears more than I trust mine this past weekend!

Totally understand; it's difficult to really assess earphones in a manner consistent with one's normal leanings in a show environment, especially for the extremes of the sound spectrum. I am getting a unit for a full evaluation, but that won't come in for a while, I think. The production yields are pretty low for the 4001, so they understandably want to reserve their units for pre-order customers domestically within China, and their valued retailers. It's still not available worldwide, and no storefront/online retailers have opened up pre-orders for it, either.

CanJam Shanghai will perhaps have more impressions coming in.

Oct 28, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #58 of 391
The Titan 6 is also here now. Listening to it right now (so another “raw notes”).

Warmer and “bloomy”. The 4001 seems to have a little more “control”. Titan 6 trebles are a little more tame compared to 4001.

Curious if they had the same cable. I'd assume the DK would have a better one. T6 should follow the series and have some more potential and be quite a good value. Surprised they kept the price which should be $139 on some of the e-tailers and perhaps a little off at LMUE. Hard not to grab one even if you need yet another earphone :)

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #59 of 391
Still caught up with work, so no time to talk to DUNU lately.

However, I did notice that DUNU posted an official screenshot of the DK-4001 frequency response on their Weibo. They did it in response to some third-party reviewer posting independent measurements of the DK-4001. I cannot find the third-party's post anywhere; I'm just not that adept at navigating around Chinese social media.

However, here's a cropped version of the FR that DUNU posted:

7cdad3eagy1fxmsl652goj21400mxnb8_cropped.jpg

Keep in mind these things when you're examining this screenshot:
  1. Take a look at the horizontal and vertical axes; the vertical axis runs from 30 to 150 dB, while the horizontal axis runs from 20 Hz to 50 kHz
  2. DUNU measures its earphones on a Bruel & Kjaer Type 4157 ear simulator. While the 4157 is compliant with the IEC-60318-4 (former IEC-60711) industry standard, it should not be considered comparable to the newer ear simulators from GRAS that reduce the high-Q resonance in the upper frequencies.
  3. Additionally, because each person/company's calibration methods are different, cross-rig comparison should be kept at a minimum. At most, frequencies between 100 Hz and 8 kHz are more reliably comparable across different 711 type couplers. Non-711 type couplers should only be directly comparable to other measurements made by the same type of ear simulator (e.g. miniDSP EARS vs. miniDSP EARS, and Veritas vs. Veritas).
  4. There seems to be some degree of octave smoothing applied, but the amount is unknown. I would guess it's about 1/8th octave.
Because I thought the vertical axis was a bit wide, I wanted to take a closer look. Thus, I decided to re-render the FR from scratch, i.e. trace over the data points and plot them onto a scatter plot.

Here's how it looks with the axes unedited:

Slide1.PNG

I tried to get the spectral plot to look as close to the original as possible without spending too much time splitting hairs. Under gross examination, it looks passable.

Then, I merely readjusted the vertical axes:

Slide2.PNG

The peaks now look a lot more apparent, and it's easier to take some inferring remarks on the possible sound of the DK-4001.

I notice the following things:
  1. The 2-3 kHz canal resonance peak isn't gone, but buried behind a ~1.5 kHz midrange boost peak, which is between 3-6 dB in intensity above the canal resonance peak. It is likely this midrange "boost" is an effort to bring out the character of the Beryllium dynamic driver, but this is only a guess.
  2. The bass shelf is very reasonable ~5 dB above the 600-800 Hz nadir. It seems relatively flat down to 20 Hz.
  3. The broad treble peak rises ~ 4-6 dB above what I would consider a dead-neutral response.
  4. I have noticed from previous FRs that DUNU has released in the past, perhaps because of their testing methodology, almost all of their earphones tend to fall off precipitously after 8.5 kHz or so. I really don't know why this is the case. However, DUNU has allocated a dual super-tweeter for these upper frequencies, and I doubt they'd let it go to waste when they've had years of experience with building hybrid IEMs. It's tough to really assess the degree of treble extension unless we know exactly how DUNU inserts its earphones into its testing rig, and even the subsequent assessment of treble extension is not universally standardized.
  5. Because re-rendering the FR smooths things out even more, I cannot really speak to small subtleties. I am not really surprised by the way this FR appears, and overall it seems to be a moderately "W-shaped" sound signature, which is totally appropriate for a flagship-type earphone, and seems to be in keeping with what DUNU has been working towards. The main thing that was unexpected for me is the 1-2 kHz "boost", which almost surely has been done for musical tuning purposes. There are a number of IEM models that share a similar trait, including, but not limited to, the CFA Andromeda, the Sony EX1000, etc. Bear in mind that I am not stating that the DK-4001 sounds like these IEMs, because each of these models adjusts the relative level of the 1-2 kHz against the level of the 2-3 kHz area, as well as the 600-1000 Hz area, in different ways. In my experience, small changes as little as 1.5 dB in this extremely hearing-sensitive area can make very noticeable changes to the way a frequency response is perceived. Combined with differences in phase response, I find it very difficult to draw any solid conclusions regarding the sound of the DK-4001 beyond its moderately W-shaped response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back