DUNU DK-4001 --- Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #31 of 391
I have the updated price on the first post:

$880 USD and 5999 CNY correlate well on currency converters, so it'd be 750 EUR or so.

Regarding the exchangeable filters thing --- I didn't ask, but my assumption is that removable filters increase the rate of RMA, and given that RMA is a thorn in any company's side, I think DUNU would be reluctant to go for filters. The second point is that the individual output tubes terminate at the mesh grille, so providing removable filters would mean having to design around that modality. It's not impossible, but it's less convenient. They'd have to key the removable filters such that they line up with the tubes each and every time. But you never know; they might just make a Mk. 2 version with exchangeable filters.

Normally the rate conversion here in the EU is done as USD=EUR, so we'll have to assume that the final price would be something around 880€ (Not very competitive, indeed)

I see you point regarding the issue about BA tubes ending up at the mesh grille... It seems not that easy but it would be a clear advantage among other competitors who haven't (at least on the market) start coming out with such an innovation.
Perhaps for a MKII version at 1000USD? :triportsad:

Cheers!

Sep 11, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #32 of 391
With all things being equal, I think this model has to hold up to the scrutiny of being compared to the AKG N5005 in both sound and the accessories kit.

At $1000, the N5005 has a monster accessories kit. Not only does it retain the removable filters set but it also expands on the selection with a mid-high filter.

On top of that, a BT dongle is included. I don't know what will be in the final kit for the DK-4001, but I suspect the BT dongle will not be there.

The 4001 has the advantage of having the exchangeable plug cable, so it doesn't need to include separate 3.5 TRS and 2.5 TRRS cables (unlike the N5005).

However, the difference between the DK-4001 and N5005 is only $119, and when playing in the > $700 price bracket, a ~$100 price difference doesn't really matter --- DUNU will likely only appeal to users on account of sound and comfort.

Personally, I don't love the fit of the N5005. I actually got along better with the fit of the K3003, whereas I did well with the fit of the DK-3001 and I can only assume the DK-4001 will fit even better because of its more curved, marginally smaller housings.

I don't care for exchangeable filters if the preset signature is appealing (though I know many people swing the other way and prefer tuning options). But I do care about bass speed, timbre, soundstage presentation/layering, etc.

It's a wash at this price point --- people will choose whatever it is that they like, rather than what they feel is a better value.

Sep 12, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #33 of 391
No new news, but I did find some close up shots of the new housings and plugs:

8558f5b3ly4fv5eyao2pcj215o0rtn8i.jpg

8558f5b3ly4fv5eyavfj6j215o0rswre.jpg

8558f5b3ly4fv5eyap0thj215o0rtk4m.jpg

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #34 of 391
DUNU have not gotten back to me yet; they seem to be busy with the 4001 launch in China.

However, because DUNU have been making the rounds holding small listening events in China for the DK-4001, a veteran blogger on Weibo posted a write-up (you'll need an account to view it, I think) of his experience with the DK-4001.

Since Google Translate is still not up to snuff, I've taken the time to translate/summarize some of the things I picked up in this person's write-up:
  • The cable itself is composed of alternating strands of 7N OCC copper and OCC silver-plated copper.
  • DUNU has spent a lot of time and effort on getting the Beryllium coating to be as pure as possible, and a major reason for the release of the DK-4001 taking so long was because of these advancements in driver coating.
  • Listening Impressions (tried to translate with meaning in mind, so I took some liberties, rather than doing a literal translation): open, relaxed, wide soundstage, well-extended treble, mids are not as liquid smooth as those on the DN-2002, has less sibilance than the DK-3001 (with only a hint of an initial 'ess' bite before fading away), female vocals are faithfully reproduced, superlative separation, flagship level resolution and extension on both ends
  • The blogger believes the DK-4001 is on the level of 10000+ CNY ($1400 USD) earphones on the market.

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #35 of 391
DUNU have not gotten back to me yet; they seem to be busy with the 4001 launch in China.

However, because DUNU have been making the rounds holding small listening events in China for the DK-4001, a veteran blogger on Weibo posted a write-up (you'll need an account to view it, I think) of his experience with the DK-4001.

Since Google Translate is still not up to snuff, I've taken the time to translate/summarize some of the things I picked up in this person's write-up:
  • The cable itself is composed of alternating strands of 7N OCC copper and OCC silver-plated copper.
  • DUNU has spent a lot of time and effort on getting the Beryllium coating to be as pure as possible, and a major reason for the release of the DK-4001 taking so long was because of these advancements in driver coating.
  • Listening Impressions (tried to translate with meaning in mind, so I took some liberties, rather than doing a literal translation): open, relaxed, wide soundstage, well-extended treble, mids are not as liquid smooth as those on the DN-2002, has less sibilance than the DK-3001 (with only a hint of an initial 'ess' bite before fading away), female vocals are faithfully reproduced, superlative separation, flagship level resolution and extension on both ends
  • The blogger believes the DK-4001 is on the level of 10000+ CNY ($1400 USD) earphones on the market.

Thanks for the write-up!

One thing that stands out as unexpected is the term relaxed. I'll try not to read too much into these early translated impressions, but I really hope the 4001 preserves the impact of the 3001 when it comes to bass. In my opinion, the clean, hard-hitting bass was the best quality of the 3001's sound.

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #36 of 391
Thanks for the write-up! One thing that stands out as unexpected is the term relaxed. I'll try not to read too much into these early translated impressions, but I really hope the 4001 preserves the impact of the 3001 when it comes to bass. In my opinion, the clean, hard-hitting bass was the best quality of the 3001's sound.

Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into it; I'm not a professional translator either, and while my Chinese is fluent, it's not perfect. I think he might mean that the soundstage is 'boundless', but I really wouldn't know for sure.

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #37 of 391
When is the global release deadline, by the way?

Willing to read first some reviews comparing them with the AKG N5005s...

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #38 of 391
When is the global release deadline, by the way?

Well, pre-orders for the Chinese market only started today... Not sure when they'll be available worldwide, but if they say late October, it'll be around that time or later.

Anyhoo, looking at those modular plugs, i wonder if they’ll be offering Apple Lightning and Type-C plugs in the future. They can also opt to offer a plug-in Bluetooth dongle or wireless pack. The wireless pack would actually appeal to stage performers.

Sep 21, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #40 of 391
tom is back, o yea!

:ksc75smile:

Changelog:
  • Major edits this time, correcting previously erroneous information, and adding more additional information
  • Added sensitivity and impedance specifications
  • Added extra graphics, including a close-up of the sub-bass reflex spiral
  • Corrected information regarding the drivers: the dynamic driver handles frequencies from the bass to the upper mids, while two BAs handle the highs, and two more handle the super highs
  • Corrected information regarding the cable: the cable is composed of alternating strands of copper and pure silver, NOT silver-plated copper
  • Added a real photo of an unboxed set of DK-4001 in retail packaging, showing the earphones and cables packaged within the foam, and the included accessories
  • New accessory information, including the included lambskin case, and bespoke SpinFit tips
  • Because it is a holiday weekend (mid-autumn festival), everyone on this side of the Pacific will be eating mooncakes, drinking tea, and moonspoting (everyone looks out for Chang'e and a rabbit) . Information will come in slowly.
  • However, I have secured a phone interview with DUNU's head acoustic engineer, Mr. Andy Zhao, and hopefully I'll be able to speak with him sometime soon. We've yet to schedule a time.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #41 of 391
I still haven't scheduled the phone interview; but I did notice that DUNU released an announcement regarding limited quantities during their initial production run for the domestic China market. Orders placed after a certain date will have delayed shipping until the mid-October. Hopefully this announcement doesn't delay the worldwide release of the DK-4001 too much.

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #42 of 391
I can't wait to see the 4001 make its way to the market. It is about one of the three items I have on my wishlist, right beside the IER-Z1R.

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #43 of 391
The latest word from DUNU is that because getting the proper yield quantities for the DK-4001 is difficult, stock won't be available in adequate quantities until the end of November. Definitely disappointing, but hopefully it's worth the wait.

Still haven't had the chance to schedule the interview with Mr. Zhao; haven't had enough down time to do so, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back