DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Sep 8, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #841 of 2,125
Thanks guys. We are all good.

By the way, The Calyx M is a fantastic DAP with balanced armature IEMs. Lovely mids (to die for actually), smooth treble, quite strong bass but it all fits together. That deserves more discussion in this thread so I'm discussin' it.   :)

I agree, Coooperpwc. One combo I'm particularly taken by is the synergy with the Lab1. It was quite by chance that I ended with the Calyx and Lab1: I was pondering the Calyx when I went down to Jaben to pick up the Lab1 as the last masterpiece of Takai-san.

One may think that the resulting sound may be too thick. The strange thing is that what you end up with a wonderfully musical and lulling experience. :)

I have now heard the calyx with my other iems. And it still hasn't ceased to give me pleasure every time I listen to it. :)

Sep 9, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #842 of 2,125
Hi Currawong,

I read on a post that Vinne said the RWAK240 needs about 100 hours for the caps to settle.

Do you think the RWAK240 in your possession has that many hours since the mod?

Thx

It might not. I'll try and set it up to play for a few days and then have another listen. Thanks.

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #843 of 2,125

It might not. I'll try and set it up to play for a few days and then have another listen. Thanks.

If it's my mod, it's had more than a 100 hrs easily. Did you do yours too!?

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #844 of 2,125

If it's my mod, it's had more than a 100 hrs easily. Did you do yours too!?

No. I was thinking of yours. That makes it easy then. I'll have another go with the UERMs since I have a balanced cable for them.

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #845 of 2,125

No. I was thinking of yours. That makes it easy then. I'll have another go with the UERMs since I have a balanced cable for them.

Can you tell the difference between your greener vs. Anak's more matured RWAK?

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #846 of 2,125
I have a stock AK240. Anakchan has an RWAK240. I'm borrowing his to compare them, then I'm going to send mine over to him so he can do the same.

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #847 of 2,125

Can you tell the difference between your greener vs. Anak's more matured RWAK?

You're calling my RWAK -OLD-!!?? 
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #848 of 2,125
Sep 9, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #849 of 2,125
With my UERMs arguably very slightly bright aftermarket cable, now I feel things are reversed and I like the RWAK240 better. The stock unit sounds too mid-forward, even with music that can be a bit bass-strong. I think this is going to end up being a mod that very much depends on what it is used with as to whether or not it is worth it.

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #850 of 2,125
Sep 9, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #851 of 2,125
  With my UERMs arguably very slightly bright aftermarket cable, now I feel things are reversed and I like the RWAK240 better. The stock unit sounds too mid-forward, even with music that can be a bit bass-strong. I think this is going to end up being a mod that very much depends on what it is used with as to whether or not it is worth it.

As Vinnie said that the mod provides more juice (reserved power) at the output stage but not all music require such swing of voltage (like chamber music) and thus for some genre might have less effect than the others.  

I recently bought a DSD recorded classical title and was a bit disappointed as the recording is relatively flat and somehow lifeless.   In this case, some good CD album would win hands down. 

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #852 of 2,125
That's what I want to hear!! More head to head impressions of the M vs the almighty 240!!

The store that sold me the M also has the AK240 now. It will probably be a while until I get back there but I do mean to compare them. In some ways I do not see a lot of upside to the exercise. I am not buying a $2500 DAP. (Also comparisons in a cramped store are always too rushed..) Still the cause of science makes it inevitable. When the time comes, I will do the comparison using the Lab 1.

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #853 of 2,125
I agree, Coooperpwc. One combo I'm particularly taken by is the synergy with the Lab1. It was quite by chance that I ended with the Calyx and Lab1: I was pondering the Calyx when I went down to Jaben to pick up the Lab1 as the last masterpiece of Takai-san.

One may think that the resulting sound may be too thick. The strange thing is that what you end up with a wonderfully musical and lulling experience.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have now heard the calyx with my other iems. And it still hasn't ceased to give me pleasure every time I listen to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can complain about the Calyx M - although I am not one of the complainers. I love the UI and find it a pleasure to use. Still the complaints would include: middling/poor battery life, sometimes laggy UI, disappointing USB DAC performance, no proper folder browsing, kinda big and heavy (although I find the form factor sweet in the Dignis case). However the complaints never include sound quality as a standalone DAP. With the Lab 1 and Heaven VI (for loud planes and trains), I think that portable nirvana has arrived.

...which again raises the question of why I need to experience how the AK240 might sound even better.  :)

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #854 of 2,125
(I heard the original AK100 and AK120, comparing them at the time to my Rockboxed Classic amped through the Pico Slim. (The Heaven VI loved the Pico Slim.) I even found a Led Zeppelin song in common. Not the best test; what was it anyway? I did other listening too.

The AK120 was definitely better than my rig in the mids, the AK100 much less so. I was not overly impressed, especially with the AK100. From memory, I do not think that the M would be bowing to either.)

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #855 of 2,125

Users who are viewing this thread

Back