DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Sep 9, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #856 of 2,125
Ak240 wins calyx M mainly by having higher density of rendition and it gives more "airy feel" with much deeper soundstage. I think they are not in the same league especially when switching the 240 to balanced mode
L3000.gif

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #857 of 2,125
With the best music, to an experienced person there is quite a jump from the Calyx to AK240 to Hugo. Impressions depend on where you are coming from. If you're moving "up" to a good DAP, the Calyx sounds great. If you're coming from high-end audio (or the Hugo) it probably sounds somewhat "flat". It could probably do with a Schiit Wyrd in the chain if used as a DAC.

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #858 of 2,125
  With the best music, to an experienced person there is quite a jump from the Calyx to AK240 to Hugo. Impressions depend on where you are coming from. If you're moving "up" to a good DAP, the Calyx sounds great. If you're coming from high-end audio (or the Hugo) it probably sounds somewhat "flat". It could probably do with a Schiit Wyrd in the chain if used as a DAC.

Now that is an interesting idea!

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #859 of 2,125
I had the DAC 24/192 and that was great with an Audiophilleo 1 and good USB power supply, especially since it was USB powered. The CEO of Calyx told me they discontinued that DAC because the M is a better DAC. It definitely seemed sensitive to USB quality when I was playing around before. Nothing like a bit of Wyrd'ness between friends. 
wink_face.gif

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #860 of 2,125
Thanks to @audionewbie (Edit by mod: he means @audionewbi) who posted a link to a review of Lotoo PAW Gold.in the Chinese DAP thread..According to the review, its better sounding than HM-901 (minibox) with native DSD support. Too bad I already am quite content with the AK240 stock, otherwise I would try it..
This is a SACD which sounds quite good on AK240:

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/94

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #862 of 2,125
I just had a brief listen of the Calyx M but it sounded anything but flat, though I am not sure what that means (honestly). It sounded impressive....maybe too much so. Very thick and lively and colored. I told myself it might be like cheesecake. I love it but after a big slice I'm good. Plus I find it too big.

I got to hear it and the Plenue 1 recently. I agree the Calyx M is a brick! Especially after the awesome form factor of the Cowon. Still no ideal DAP these days....

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #863 of 2,125
I just had a brief listen of the Calyx M but it sounded anything but flat, though I am not sure what that means (honestly). It sounded impressive....maybe too much so. Very thick and lively and colored. I told myself it might be like cheesecake. I love it but after a big slice I'm good. Plus I find it too big.

So the Tera strikes the balance...being musical without too "thick" and coloured? 

How'd you compare Calyx M with your RWAK240?

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #864 of 2,125

Yes, I have enough non-DAP references that I would not describe it as flat either. I like the cheesecake analogy because the sound is rich. What I think Currawong may be referring to is that the M is extremely smooth. And that means that it may be comparatively less bright and dynamic than the AK240. If so I can understand the appeal of the AK240 but, without having compared them, I really really like the M.

(Right now between the M + Lab 1, and the GS-X mk2 + HD800, I have two new rigs that have very different sound signatures, the latter more in the brighter dynamic category. I am quite enjoying the contrast.)

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #865 of 2,125
So the Tera strikes the balance...being musical without too "thick" and coloured? 

How'd you compare Calyx M with your RWAK240?
The Tera is not overly thick to me. It is just natural and analog sounding.

The AK240 and Calyx M are quitw opposite in sig. One sounds thick and deep and 3D and full and the other sounds airy and detailed and refined and a bit thin.

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #866 of 2,125
Yes, I have enough non-DAP references that I would not describe it as flat either. I like the cheesecake analogy because the sound is rich. What I think Currawong may be referring to is that the M is extremely smooth. And that means that it may be comparatively less bright and dynamic than the AK240. If so I can understand the appeal of the AK240 but, without having compared them, I really really like the M.

(Right now between the M + Lab 1, and the GS-X mk2 + HD800, I have two new rigs that have very different sound signatures, the latter more in the brighter dynamic category. I am quite enjoying the contrast.)
If the M was smaller I would have bought it. It is not as thick as the 901 but taller.

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #867 of 2,125
The Tera is not overly thick to me. It is just natural and analog sounding.

The AK240 and Calyx M are quitw opposite in sig. One sounds thick and deep and 3D and full and the other sounds airy and detailed and refined and a bit thin.

I agree with Mimouille and Cooperpwc: the Calyx is lush and rich. The AK240 is very transparent and a bit on the clinical side. I'm not convinced that it has the deepest soundstage, balanced or not. Pure SQ wise, it's still the HM901 that does it for me.

At the end of the day, when I just want to chill and enjoy my music, rather than be analyzing it, I would reach out for the Calyx. Lately, it's also been the Tera Player.

At the end of the day, we reach for different DAPs depending on our need at that point in time. It is true that there is no one perfect DAP for all occasions because our moods change as do the needs of the moment.

All I will say is thank goodness for choice! :wink:

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #868 of 2,125
I agree with Mimouille and Cooperpwc: the Calyx is lush and rich. The AK240 is very transparent and a bit on the clinical side. I'm not convinced that it has the deepest soundstage, balanced or not. Pure SQ wise, it's still the HM901 that does it for me.

At the end of the day, when I just want to chill and enjoy my music, rather than be analyzing it, I would reach out for the Calyx. Lately, it's also been the Tera Player.

At the end of the day, we reach for different DAPs depending on our need at that point in time. It is true that there is no one perfect DAP for all occasions because our moods change as do the needs of the moment.

All I will say is thank goodness for choice!
wink.gif

Or maybe that's why I like the AK240 more as my home system is leaned towards studio monitor (or you may say clinical) with high details (good to have the Meitner MA1 to which very musical that helps the overall balance) and the home system is my reference to any head gear for me.

Should Tera can re-tune its output impedance it could be the ultimate DAP.  I've found somehow it lacks a bit of dynamics and if Charles can give it a bit more punch and it will be perfect.  That's the reason why I always hook up my Vorzuge Duo to isolate Tera's weaknesses mentioned above.

Sep 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #869 of 2,125
I agree wholeheartedly with Kiats, there is no best DAP...as of now...

For me, DAPs are tools for me to explore new music outdoor. It is a must for the DAP to have a screen because I need to know the names and support as many formats (flac, wav, ape, dsf, dff, etc) as possible. Secondly, it needs to perform well for different genres/eras of recordings... Lastly, it should present music in a way that is spacious/airy and not forced so that I can listen for a long time.

Based on my criteria, I think AK240 performs well except it is too ridiculously priced. I have no requirements on UI because I use the AK240 the same way I use the HM-901... I dont want to learn new things...
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #870 of 2,125
If the M was smaller I would have bought it. It is not as thick as the 901 but taller.

Same here. Sound-wise I can appreciate M's tuning and even enjoy some tracks with it but it was the form factor (mainly) and battery life/UI (less so) that prevented me from getting it. It is more unwieldy (taller/wider) than the hm901. Or at least it's what I m keeping telling myself to avoid spending more in another DAP :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back